The Coloured Jean & My Lust of the Day

So here we have one of the major trends of the S/S.  These were also around last year but weren't exactly mainstream.  And I've come to the conclusion that anything that isn't mainstream is a pretty grey area for the older follower of fashion.  Especially if you are essentially a stay at home mum of 3 living in the home counties.  There are definitely people who can get away with it, but as the years go on, my 7 year old daughter's eyebrows raise higher with each questionable purchase I come home with.  I won't even dignify my husband's comments with a mention (suffice to say harem pants didn't score highly chez moi)


However this year - well hell - coloured jeans, they're everywhere!  Even at M&S!!  Actually the ones from Marks do look pretty good.  Before I do actually recommend them, I will head in and try them on (they will be half mast on me but should get an idea of how they fit/quality)  

Loads at My Wardrobe - J Brand are doing a fabulous selection which I would be tempted by were they not pedal pusher length on me.  I have always found J Brand a great, flattering fit though so definitely worth a look if you don't have stilts for legs.

So colour wise, what colour will you go for?  Always a tricky purchase at the beginning of the season when there's only a smattering of stock in the shops.  I can't be the only one who has made some howling faux pas' in the past?  

I would recommend, to get the maximum wear out of your jeans if you're going to buy them now, to go for a darker shade, as opposed to a pastel (I'll come to pastels another day.......)  There are some stunning shades of jade and bottle green, blood orange and shades of blue around, all of which are fabulously easy to wear now.   All look great with navy or/and black (BIG trend for next A/W!), camels, nudes and other neutral colours.  For an extra colour pop, I'd chuck in a patterned/different coloured scarf as well.  (my obsession with scarves will become apparent v shortly!)

However My Lust of the Day are these wonderful raspberry skinny jeans from TopShop.  I love TS jeans.  Mostly because they do them in a 36inch leg which means they're actually long enough but they're also a really good fit for a High Street jean.  They do stretch when wearing them (huge huge bugbear of mine) but not nearly as much compared to others.

They arrived on Friday and I wore them out two hours later on Friday night - always a v good sign!  

For one who is normally averse to colour on clothing bar a scarf or a bag, these are quite a departure from my comfort zone.  But happy to report, am v chuffed with them! 





Would love to know your thoughts!  Will you or won't be wearing them, what colour will you go for and what with?! 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

10 comentarios:

  1. Oooh, love the TS raspberry pair! Have to say I am a bit smitten with the Levis Curve ID pastels (for S/S, not now!). Gap also have some nice colours on offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check out the Levi's ones tonight (hopefully going shopping for an hour or sans kids!!) And yes, Gap have got a gorgeous array of colours with 30% off at the moment I believe. What's not to love?

      Delete
  2. Those are lovely Kat... I really want a pair of coloured jeans too though not decided which - probs bright blue, though I've seen some gorgeous purple ones too!
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright blue would be fabulous with your colouring. Really gorgeous. Purple - I'm going to keep an open mind about, although I can imagine lovely if they fit in with your wardrobe/colours. Purple for me is probably a step too far out of my hideously narrow monochrome pallet - boring cow that I am! But for the more adventurous, go for it.

      Delete
  3. They're going to be big over here in Oz too for A/W - colours seem to be deep orange, rust, cobalt and dusky pink. Am toying with some dusky pink ones to go with tan boots and camel for A/W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dusky pink with tan and camel - yum yum. Also be lovely with shades of grey and winter white. Good call. Actually a friend of mine bought some the other week and whilst initially I was rather dubious, on further reflection we agreed they were a good buy as a) she's Dutch and can so easily get away with it (they're so much more adventurous than us!) and b) lovely lovely in the spring/summer with whites and silvery greys. But I'll tell her to get trying them on with tans and camels. Let us know if you get them!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on starting up a blog (I've just done the same) keep up the posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xxxxx And well done you too! (give us a link!)

      Delete
  5. I've been eyeing up the coloured jeans but can't decide whether it's a fashion that just doesn't suit large bottomed women! I'm worried I'll end up looking like a tomato - or some similar electric blue round fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Freya, I don't think it's anything to do with size. I think it's to do with finding good fitting jeans and pairing them up with the right shaped tops. I also think it's about finding the right shade. I think there are some shades of red that would be far more forgiving then others.

      And I do think that electric blue - for me personally - is a difficult shade for anyone to wear! But if you're feeling brave enough..... (I'm going to stick to the more conservative raspberry - a much easier to wear shade of red than the more tomato shades i think)

      I also think if they're a long way from your comfort zone than you do need to try them on at home with lots of different outfit ideas. I find, as well, if something is slightly more radical, having a specific occasion in mind to wear them is a definite advantage. Otherwise the chances of them sitting in my wardrobe and never getting worn, are errr v high! (or is that only me?.....)

      Thank you for posting though and please please do so again!!! xxx

      Delete