If you set your heart on something...

... then obviously it doesn't pan out.  


So, reporting back on my rather bad shopping trip the other day.  Actually that's tush, it wasn't bad at all, we had the loveliest day ever, we really did.   Although the shopping was pants. 

I had intended to treat myself to two gems from Cos that I had seen the week before.  I had papped them and had been exceptionally abstemious in not caving but waiting and seeing if I really did want or need them.  Ok, so the need part of the sentence is clearly superfluous, however much I attempt to justify it, but the want aspect was large enough to convince me to go and give it a go.  The Husband having work commitments and not being able to come on holiday may have pushed the "want" element into the "must have" category, I will admit.

More black.  And accessories this time.  A pair of shoes that I figured, since I can't make my mind up about Summer sandals at all, I could justify and would get lots of wear out of.  I'll come back to these another day but they are in the photo and go perfectly with the "could easily be matching" bag.  

Untitled


I fell in love with this bag, hook, line and sinker.  Do I need a black bag?  Absolutely not.  Can I justify a black bag to myself?  Hell yes.  Especially if I buy a pair of shoes to go with it, meaning that I would have even extra opportunities to use it.  I appreciate the logic behind that statement to anyone bar the most hardened of shoppers, will be flawed.  (prays that The Husband still doesn't bother to read the blog....) 

This bag is the ideal travelling bag.  It is the perfect, kids and holiday bag - throw everything in.  I love the simplicity of it, I love the softness of the leather, I love the fact it's different from everything else out there.  Ish.  




But.... sorry - took a moment there, polishing my halo... I got neither.  It started going wrong when the shoes were out of stock.  Which threw me somewhat.  Common sense kicked in and I came home totally empty handed.  I sort of remembered at the 13th hour that I had my Marc by Marc Jacobs bag that would work just as well.  Also dawned on me that I was going to Kildare Village and then am off to Bicester in a week or two so am going to wait and see if there is anything else that catches my eye. 

I will say that my Marc Jacobs bag over the years has been the most useful travelling bag ever and the size is ideal for holidays. 

They don't make it any more but I found this at Mango and it is the most similar I've come across.




Staying with black - and a bargain at that, is this one from Atterley Road.




This would have been perfect for my holiday actually - with the black and neutral theme.  A reversible bag from Paul's Boutique.  Two bags to take away - why didn't I think of this?

Paul's Boutique Reversible Amelie Snake Shopper £45







Black and navy together (what's not to love?!) at ASOS £35 and it's leather



Continuing with the navy theme at Mango - again leather, a great size and as well as navy, a selection of other colours (also grey online)







Another tote bag that is a tad (ok, a lot) more but is unbelievably gorgeous, is the Hart Tote Bag from Jaeger.  Probably the most similar in style to the Cos one. 

In guntmetal £250





Back to neutral now and a grey (well I would say metallic actually...) version of the black bag featured earlier, alas not in the sale. 





As I said, I think the above does have a certain metallic sheen to it and there's more of that at Mint Velvet.  This, if your wardrobe is consisting of all light colours (how lovely would that be?) would be jaw droppingly gorgeous. 



A tan option at Warehouse - not quite as big as some but then some people might not want a huge one. 

Warehouse Tassel & Zip day bag £40




So will I find something that I like as much as the Cos bag.  At the moment, I am so in love with it, I think probably not, but I am stupidly proud of myself for having held out so far.  Only only downsides to it are that a) it's such gorgeously soft leather, I'm slightly concerned that you may be able to see the outline of everything in it.  I'm not going to say "kittens in a sack" as that would be massively inappropriate but I'm not sure that's entirely the look I'm going for in a handbag... and b) it will be the proverbial black hole.  That handbag that as soon as you put something in it, it's never to be seen again.  The only way to retrieve anything is to empty the contents on the floor whilst swearing profusely.   It's a slight concern.... 

Do you have an oversized bag that you have as your travelling handbag?  Any tips or recommendations? 

Outfit from today over here in Ireland.  Again, the weather is still amazing - took the kids swimming and to a park and the obligatory trip to the bookies and home for the Grand National.  Suffice to say i won't be spending any winnings on a new bag any time soon.  Seeing as there weren't any..... 

Untitled

Black vest - Black and White Denim
Jumper - Hush
Jeans - Zara
White cracked leather Stan Smiths - adidas 
Yellow scarf - Hush 
Black Faridah Hobo Bag - Marc by Marc Jacobs

Tomorrow we're off to the Circus.....Secretly hoping I can maybe sell one of my children.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

24 comentarios:

  1. You should definitely get the bag!!! Of course you don't need another black bag (who does?) but life is short and you work hard so buy the bag! Although I am impressed you managed to come back without it, not sure I would have displayed the same resilience. Loving your blog having only discovered it a few days ago. Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! And yes I know - it was restraint that I don't normally demonstrate.... x

      Delete
  2. Your Marc Jacobs is waaaay more gorgeous than the Cos so save your money and splurge on the frivolous instead! Personally my heart stopped at the mango tan hobo one and the mint velvet - both crazy gorgeous however have just weaned myself off huge bags thanks to no longer having to carry nappies (hurray!) as too found the tardis effect frustrating whilst trying to locate keys/phone etc. glad your having a great time in Ireland - my heart went out to you in a rental car in Shannon at almost midnight - God love you! Those boreens frighten the life out of me - remember, follow the tuft of grass in the middle - cats eyes - we should be so lucky! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - yes, I have to say I did think *BIG treat for one if I manage to drive this by myself!!*.

      It's different from my MJ bag which is now 8 years old... that owes me nothing. x

      Delete
  3. Looking for a new travelling bag with a crossbody strap, have a fab Topshop green one but it is leather and weighs a ton before I've even put anything in! So the hunt is on. I have a perfectly good Kipling one from a couple of years ago but I fear it is looking a bit tired and much too touristy, I don't want a 'black hole' bag that is what the Cos one is I'm afraid, it looks lovely but don't buy it - at that size you will just fill it with c**p and then find the handcream with the top off smeared all over the bottom........or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't handcream (I am a slattern) so yes you're on your own here... a million receipts though? Yup, that's me.

      Delete
  4. So many lovely bags! The Mango ones are great but I know what you mean about the Cos one it looks so lovely and soft. Just bought a big Prada bag (at a hefty discount in the US!) which I think we be my new travelling bag x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were wise to hold off. Your Marc Jacobs is a gazillion times nicer ... plus there's Kate Spade in Kildare Village ... & Mulberry ... & Anya Hindmarch ... & the euro is working in your favour. Cannot believe I'm going to miss you - we'll have to coordinate travel plans better next time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gutted we'll miss you. Hopefully when you're over in london next? x

      Delete
  6. hang on for kildare village. I got an absolutely gorgeous coach handbag there a couple of weeks ago. Not a brand I would have ever considered for the last few years, but the selection in KV is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving new Coach so yes, I shall be pleased to see what they've got on offer!

      Delete
  7. Cos is looking pretty good at the moment, love the shoes and bag combo, they would look fabulous! Loving the mango hobo bag too and the size is perfect. Enjoy Kildare Village...can't wait to see what you buy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sod's law I'll be coming back with nothing! If that's the case, I am off to Bicester when I get back but may have to do a sneaky online Cos order beforehand... Have to say, wasn't too impressed with their clothes (probably because there's nothing that I don't already have. The. Shame) but their accessories ROCK

      Delete
  8. Your MJ bag is so much nicer than the Cos one! Save your money and splurge on shoes!
    (We know you'll buy the dinosaur feet ones....!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm I haven't thought about those in a while and think that maybe they might be similar to the old Zara ones I have from last year...... !

      Delete
  9. I agree with some of the comments above, save your money for Kildare Village, I was there last week and bought a lovely Lulu Guinness hot pink crossbody messenger and a couple of small Kate Spades. I also saw some great bargains in the Coach shop and some of the older Mulberry styles (Oakwater I think) were available for about €300. There was also a fab Anya Hindmarch maxi zip crossbody in black or nude, I got it in cobalt blue from the hubby at Christmas. The black was €410 with (I think) a further 20% off. They were selling in House of Fraser for £650 before Christmas!! I'm not in the market for huge bags anymore, I have a large Tods tan leather holdall that I got in a US outlet about 6 years ago- I used it as a changing bag- shameful! I have rediscovered it recently but I generally like smaller crossbody styles now that I'm past the baby & toddler stage. Glad you're enjoying your family trip to our fair land but I also felt for you when you talked about getting from Shannon to Tipp at that hour on those West of Ireland roads!! I would have booked into the nearest airport hotel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh they didn't have any of those Mulberry bags left. I so so nearly bought the Anya Cross body bag but it's the same price as at BIcester and I'm going there next week... had another navy bag I liked but it was v formal.... I have to say I STILL Love the Cos one...!!

      Delete
  10. This is the Anya one: http://www.selfridges.com/en/anya-hindmarch-maxi-zip-cross-body-bag_485-85077488-AH5050925728812/

    I cant quite remember as it was a rushed visit but there may have been this larger one there too at only about another €100
    http://www.selfridges.com/en/anya-hindmarch-maxi-zip-satchel_485-85077488-AH5050925717564/?previewAttribute=Black

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the larger size in the stone - tis the most amazing bag ever!

      Delete
  11. I got those very same shoes last year and really love them (got lots of wear out of them). Super comfortable too which makes them even better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh do they have them ever year? I love them - so so so love them. (and the bag...!)

      Delete
  12. I am still at pack the kitchen sink stage..... And yes, I am still loving the shoes and the bag....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a black leather ASOS tote that has no pockets & I use a cute large wash bag as an organiser in it for all the little things & it works a treat! You so have to get that bag! It's lush & so you! x

    ReplyDelete