Shops you want to love

You know those shops that you really do want to love, you really really do, you know you should but somehow, you manage to just run their clothes when you put them on.  

Hobbs, I'm talking about you.  Oh lordy I'm sorry, but I have the habit of making your clothes look awful.  I really don't want to.  I would love to look elegant and chic but alas, I look like a librarian going to a wedding in the 80s.  Just wrong diddly.  

That's not to say everything I touch is awful.  One of the reasons I love the shop is that every season you can find the odd thing that is genius.  A pure classic that isn't like anything else you can find on the high street but will work in so many different combinations in your wardrobe.  

So last year, for me it was the navy and white check coat.  That, I saw today in Kildare Village for a mere snip now at 105 Euro.

Untitled


This year, I may have found another gem in the Ink Spot Coat that I tried on the other week.  Bearing in mind that I have the cream triangle dress from Hush which I have to report back on properly but sneak tip, I LOVE, and am also going to order the black one, this would be the perfect Summer special occasion coat to top it off.  (we're just going to gloss over the fact the above coat I have would work equally as well.  Totally gloss over it) 

Cream Ink Spot Coat from Hobbs £169  (with my black and blue Reiss sandals... oh yes....) 


And it works just as well for day wear as well (as if I needed any justification)

Untitled Untitled


However it was yet another piece of inspiration from my marathon stint at the hairdressers last week (to be repeated yet again next week as we try again to rid me of my "mail order bride" hair colour) 

Absolutely loved the idea of these and was, I will admit, rather amazed to see that they came from Hobbs.

Untitled

Et voila..

Blue Tula Cropped Jean £89 (not quite as good as the styling above...) 


And even worse on me... I SO wanted to love these.  I really really did - I thought they'd be amazing but they didn't quite live up to the promise of the magazine.  

Ok so they're not that bad but let's just say I didn't buy them.

Untitled

So the next two pieces were chosen by the 10yr old last week on our shopping trip - this is what she thought I should try.  (actually there were some other bits but these are the ones that I also agreed with... ) 

And I would definitely wear either of these. 

Cathy Tunic £89 in white  A linen top, which normally I would avoid like the plague, I will admit but I have to say I'd definitely wear this. 


Untitled Untitled

Brooke Jumper £69  This again, picked by the 10yr old and again, I would absolutely wear this.  Loved it over the flared jeans below.  Would also work over skinny jeans.  The perfect Summer throw on jumper.



Untitled

And then the wheels fell off.  



Suffice to say, I cannot do dresses from Hobbs.  They look utterly tragic on me.  Yes, this is the wrong size (and that's irritating to start with - a size 10 here, which is way too small, yet the jeans I have on above are an 8.)

Hobbs, I am so so so sorry.  

Untitled


However finishing on a much more positive note and the accessories.  The best cuff bracelets I have seen this season.  Pure lust for these. 








Untitled


Untitled


I didn't have time to look at the shoes but they normally do get a big thumbs up from me (hit from last year definitely) and today at Kildare Village, they had some gorgeous (ridiculously high heeled mind you, so they didn't come home with me) shoes.  

I do so want to love Hobbs - and, like I said, there are some gems but generally I find the vast vast majority of it, dare I say, too grown up for me?   Would love to know your thoughts. 

Finishing with outfits from the last couple of days and firstly huge apologies for not being around as much as usual but internet connection where I am is sporadic to say the least. 

Plus we've been out and about - today the sister in law looked after the two boys, whilst the three remaining ladies bombed to the rather wonderful Kildare Village.  The sister village of Bicester.  An hour and a half across totally deserted Irish motorways in glorious sunshine.

Fantastic day out which I will report back on tomorrow (with only a small purchase..... I totally let the side down, I apologise)

Yesterday for taking the kids to soft play and out for supper. 


Untitled 

Off white linen tee - Max Studio 
Ecru dungarees - H&M
Black tuxedo blazer - Hush
Black buckle sandals - Zara
Black Faridah Hobo bag - Marc by Marc Jacobs

And today for Kildare Village

Untitled


Navy and white striped tee - H&M
Black dungarees - H&M
Black military jacket - Zara
Black Wild Kat leopard print ballet flats - The British Flat Shoe Company
Black Faridah Hobo bag - Marc by Marc Jacobs

Well, this has taken me over four hours to write with intermittent wifi so I'm going to try and post it before I lose the will to live.....

Share this:

CONVERSATION

24 comentarios:

  1. Your hair looks lovely, (very shiny) in your selfie photos! Is it still too red for your liking?
    Hope your holidays are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you! Yes, in real life, it looks more orange.... although yes, I have to say, I do like it in the photos... Maybe I just need a really good fake tan!

      Delete
    2. Vita Liberata! Non streak whoo hoo!

      Delete
  2. Boo, like u they had me sold on the crop jeans and dress - God knows how awful the jeans would b on me I don't think I could squeeze into those. I bought hush skinny jeans in a 10 which I have consigned to the back of the wardrobe as I put them on go out come home and take them off again ha ha! I def did that thing of "oh skinnies always feel tight when u first try them". Though I find their grey 10 combats too big! I hate sizing. My friend recently went into Hobbs and chose a dress to try for her daughter's wedding - when she asked for a size 16 the assistant looked down her nose at her and said "oh we keep the large sizes up the stairs"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my lord that's AWFUL about Hobbs. They could not have been nicer in the massive Covent Garden store. Drinks on tap - even offered my Champagne! And were so lovely without being overly in your face which is one of my huge bugbears when it comes to Sales Assistant..... Get the skinny jeans out and get wearing them!

      Delete
  3. LOVE the cropped jeans. I have a cropped jean hole in my wardrobe too.

    Is the red and white stripe tee Hobbs too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fab aren't they? I so so so wanted them to look as fab on me as they did on the pic. Love the straight leg to them. The tee is actually from Zara kids..http://www.zara.com/uk/en/kids/girl-%283-14-years%29/t-shirts/view-all/stripes-and-text-t-shirt-c720501p2553069.html in a size 13/14.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kat. The balance of the stripes looks really flattering.

      Delete
    3. For £9 you can't go wrong!

      Delete
  4. That's horrendous about the larger sizes up the stairs! We should all go there like 'Pretty Woman' - 'Big mistake, huge'. Yes I agree about Hobbs, can sometimes remind me of 'Country Casuals' - are they still going? That coat is yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm not sure about Country Casuals. I don't think it's quite Viyella status... I do so so want to love them!

      Delete
    2. They need to have a Whistles style makeover as that used to be a bit frump as well.....

      Delete
    3. oooh do you think so? I've always thought Whistles super cool. The problem is I would think, is that their main market is the Mummy does a wedding market. Ascot, work clothes, much more formal every day attire and I think that's a quote specific market. So we love the odd thing but the majority isn't going to work for us and isn't aimed at us.

      They did used to have NW3 range but BOO HOO they've stopped it. No idea why - I should try and find out who their PR is and ask them as I loved that range. Clearly it wasn't working for them.

      Delete
    4. That's annoying! I loved the NW3 range as well!

      Delete
  5. There were lots of ladies buying v formal wedding type dresses for sure. I just don't know if I'll ever be that responsible to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same about Hobbs! I had a few things from them in the past that I wore once then realised they were just ... wrong, and they do still have one or two things that appeal. But I loved the NW3 range, especially being a shorty as their smaller sizes fit me pretty well. So sad when it seemed to disappear this year. I do like Hobbs' shoes though. BTW, love your blog and your style, writing and clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gutting that it's gone, isn't it. I'm not sure why, I'll try to find out. and totally agree that their shoes are amazing. Thank you for your lovely comments xxx

      Delete
  7. I love the jacket you are wearing over the linen white tunic... where did you find that I have been looking for a boucle top for ages. Glad you are enjoying the emerald Isle makes me homesick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's from Zara last year! Not sure they have anything similar, but also have a look at Mango x

      Delete
  8. I got a beautiful teal velvet dress from Hobbs - xmas pressie from hubbie who had remembered me commenting on it in JL. Very sweet of him but it looked gorgeous on the hanger but blargh on me - to use your word, matronly and I am a size 6 so how is that even possible?? Never wear it but can't throw it out as shudder at the price and it still looks beautiful on the hanger! Btw, loving your hair colour in the last pic - think you really suit it warmer. However, if you don't like it, get violet shampoo which will help to tone the red down. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lordy this has happened to me so many times. Things I honestly think will be amazing and I love on other people and I look like a total plum in them! yes, the hair looks better in pics than it does in the flesh. It's a nasty shade of orange round my head, I promise!

      Delete
  9. I got these cropped jeans/culottes from Karen Millen and they're great

    http://www.karenmillen.com/dark-indigo-denim-culotte/clothing/karenmillen/fcp-product/051PV03512

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're already on my Must Look At Karen Millen This Season list.... (and a culottes/cropped denim list - it's just which comes first) They are ACE!

      Delete
  10. Someone said that Hobbs is where women who have stopped having sex shop - now that's all I hear when I look at their clothes - sad face

    ReplyDelete