The bargains keep on coming...

Christmas outfits.  Done.  

Well, I say that... in my head they're done but we all know that awkward moment of trying an outfit on that you thought would look fabulous and it does in fact look like a total crock on you.  Please tell me I'm not alone in doing this?  Dimensions don't work, muffin hanging out, camel toe on show, back fat wobbling for all the world to get a good butchers at?

So assuming that none of these happen - I have nailed the Christmas outfits.

All thanks to a smash and grab at H&M yesterday.  I have a love/hate relationship with H&M.  There is a lot in there that I would hesitate to stand next to a naked flame in.  A lot.  An awful lot.  There's a lot of knitwear that I would be reluctant to break into a jog in (thankfully this doesn't happen often so I could probably buy more than most) for fear of combustion.

But on the odd occasion they have some utter gems.  Serious little pieces of joy that make shopping a pure pleasure.  And yesterday - shopping with my gorgeous friend Cathy from Alice's Wonders, we managed a fantastic haul. 

Mine was all bling. 

Starting with a top that I tried to find online (as seen in Vogue no less..) but had sold out.  However it's back online today. 

Sequin turtleneck £29.99



I'm not going to lie.  As you can probably imagine this is slightly scratchy round the neck.  The sizing is also slightly dodge in that the large was fine on the sleeves but very large on the body.  And the medium is a rather close fit on the arms (and shorter...) but a perfect fit on the body.  So I've plumped for the medium and hope I don't boil alive in it.  For £30, the quality is pretty darn fabulous.  Planning on wearing with my pleather peg leg trousers (planning...)

On to bling fest number two and there has been success in the sequinned trouser department.  

I feel I should point out, these are the trousers and not the leggings.  So they have a zip at the side.  Which I couldn't actually do up at the top in a size 10.  They were also rather spray on.  Spray on sequins is not a good look for someone post 40 with more than a smidge of cellulite.  In my humble opinion.  I therefore sized up (which handily meant I could also breath in them) and got the 12.  They are still very skinny... and I have no idea how they'll wear, but again for £30....

Sequinned Trousers £29.99



And the final item is a tee that I was in two minds about but hey - for £12.99 it would have been rude to leave it there.  I do have quite a girls night out in December and I had thought, this with leather leggings, blazer and black suede stilettos would be the perfect outfit (disclaimer... "in my head") 

Sequinned tee £12.99  I got the Medium in this.  What you can't see is that it does actually have my preferred rounded shape to the hem which means it's perfect for leaving untucked (my days of tucking in a tee ended when I was about 9 weeks pregnant with baby number 1, 11 years ago)



And here I am in the majestic ensemble of the latter two items.  Please note.  I do not intend to wear them together.  There are only so many sequins I can do at one time.  But the sequinned trousers with my Zoe Karssen grey tee... yup, I could do that.  Actually I would probably wear my suede black stilettos with this and wear either my ponyskin leopard boots or silver stud boots (from Zara ages ago) with the sequin tee and leather trousers.  


Untitled


I also have a cunning back up plan, just in case I do try these outfits on and they go horribly Pete Tong.  

Picking up from M&S tomorrow (actually I've just checked my email as I realised I didn't recall seeing confirmation of this even though I KNOW I placed the order and no - they're all still lounging around in my online basket.  M&S online is so irritating - there's that final page where it looks like confirmation of your order but it's not.  It's asking you to confirm your order which then processes it.  I think Zara is the same.  Every time I forget and skip away from the computer and wonder where my order is.)  So I'm now picking up on Saturday.  Nothing like leaving it till the last minute. 

Anyway - this is what caught my eye and I think will be (hopefully..) perfect with either leather leggings, peg leg trousers or just good old jeans. 

Metallic Effect Textured Blouse with Camisole from £45






Tie Neck Lace Blouse £35 Absolutely love the shoulder detailing on this.  I think all rather Temperley...just not at Temperley prices.



So here's hoping.  At the very least, I've never turned up to an event in my underwear (yet) so I'm sure I'll be able to drag something together....

Finishing with outfit from yesterday and what will forever be known as The Day of Sequin Success (until I decide to return it all next week). 



Untitled



Navy cashmere jumper dress - Whistles
Black zip ankle jeans - Boden
Superstar sneakers - Golden Goose
Black fringe Mario bag - Jerome Dreyfuss

It has been a long week here with ill children and a lot of broken sleep (I have turned into a complete lightweight - I can't do it anymore).  Tonight I AM going to start wrapping presents... (she says ambitiously knowing full well that she'll be asleep on the sofa after one sniff of wine at 9pm).  How is everyone else faring on their party outfit search?


Share this:

CONVERSATION

28 comentarios:

  1. I have just picked up the tie neck m&s blouse and the wrists are ridiculously tight. It s lovely and ow I don't kow what to do as need to wear it Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it tight - as in cut off your circulation tight...? Problem I have is that as I'm tall, they're generally shorter on the sleeves so the tight bit which should be round the wrist is half way up my forearm at the widest part! I have this prob a lot!

      Delete
  2. I'm in love with the sequin trousers. I missed out on the French Connection ones last year, so I can totally justify a £30 pair. I think I'll go for the 10 and cross my fingers - I hate HM returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that!! (they're great quality for the amount of detailing for the money)

      Delete
  3. H&M have certainly come up trumps on the sequin front! I need to go back to good old bluewater ..although not tomorrow on "lighting up" day!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered the M&S tie neck blouse and was v disappointed to find how short the sleeves were - and I only have slightly freakishly long arms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "readjusts expectations as she eyes up orangutan arms"....

      Delete
    2. Think they may be bracelet length on you. If you wear bracelets half way up your forearms. I soo wanted it to fit. On the search for a similar thing elsewhere now.

      Delete
  5. I adore the sequin trousers, they look amazing on you. The t-shirt & M&S tops are also making me happy but I *think* I have my xmas outfit sorted now.....maybe.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH spill spill spill!!!! I now may have too many options! (things I thought I'd never say...)

      Delete
  6. I like the sequin trousers, I liked them when a few bloggers got them last Christmas ..... you look fab in them Kat! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know they did them every year! I would have adored them last year. Maybe I should get the gold as well... My inner Abba coming to the fore....

      Delete
  7. I have outfits-freakishly similar to your choices (also sized up in sequin trews @ H&M) but am lacking crimble events to wear them to....awks! As a December baby myself, I always have at least one night out to get glamned up for! Sequin trousers are suitable for the school candle lit Carol service right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we're Catholic I think it would be wrong not to properly celebrate the Big Man's birthday, so I'm thinking sequins for the Crib Service... I will if you will?

      Delete
    2. Never Knowingly Under Dressed!
      More is more-less is bore
      Let's sparkle through that service, the candle light will reflect beautifully off the sequins! Hee hee!

      Delete
  8. Oh you read my mind - seeing as H and M is nearest quick fix fashion shop to me at work I'm in there a lot! I went sequin crazy last week with the heart tshirt and the sequin high neck blouse above - I also went the medium as I couldn't move in the small!! I am thinking that with ripped boyfriend jeans and silver pointy shoes!! Not sure when though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will indeed look fabulous with jeans.. hmmm maybe I might wear jeans on Saturday night actually. You have given me food for thought! Although I am missing the silver shoes so will have to be black!

      Delete
  9. Still waiting for the bloody H&M order ZZZZZZzzzzzz I now need sequin trews! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. HandM quite possibly worst internet shopping experience!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to order something from Shoescribe earlier. I mistakenly put two in my basket... it wouldn't let me remove one pair fo shoes. 30 mins later on the phone... ARRGGGHH!!!

      Delete
  11. Kat, would you be a love and write a blog post that is simply 'LBDs for people that have to go to their Husband's xmas work party, have nothing to wear, don't really want to go but just want to look effortless, and that also go with opaque black tights because their legs are whiter than a white thing covered in snow'?? Asking for a friend ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How funny, I bought these trousers yesterday. I have always been known for my love of a sequin ( I have the most amazing sequin flippy shorts that I used to wear... I fear they are never to be worn again as are VERY short but oh so much fun) I intend to wear these with the FC tunic you recommended and some cerise pink stilettos. (as you so rightly said, it works in my head)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like it would work...!

      Delete
  13. Totally loving all the sequins! Makes me want to bling up my wardrobe a bit as well :) I agree with you on H&M, you really have to look hard for the great items, but it's worth it when you find them. Picked up a great pair of grey biker jeans the other week. Jane x

    http://arthursmum.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you! I have to say I find their jeans on the low cut side for my ever growing muffin!

      Delete