Clutching at straws

Right.  This is one of those selfish blogs.  When I'm looking for something so you guys all have to go along with the ride.  Following on from the blog the other day on sandals, some lovely, LOVELY lady emailed me to say, she'd unearthed a pair of the much sought after Isabel Marant Lelie sandals on Vestiaire Collective.  

Now I haven't shopped there before.. but I do know a couple of friends who manage to snag some amazing bargains (this is the designer sense of the word "bargains") and in my head these will work fabulously.  I have also trawled the interweb looking for a pair of neutral strappy shoes and not find ones that worked so I have gone with these.  Now I am done. 

But... do I have bag to match them?  Do I heck as like.  I have a couple of rather dressy events coming up - outfit to be decided but shoe wise, these are da bomb. 

So at midnight last night, I thought it would be a good idea to a) order aforementioned sandals and b) find a clutch to go with them.   The clutches I have and use regularly are old.   In that I buy them and use them for years.  I cherish them and have no qualms about spending a bit of money on them as they are timeless classics that have paid for themselves over the years.   But it's not necessary to flash the cash to find the bag that works.

A neutral off white one is surely an excellent one to add to the (surprisingly small) collection.   I also think it's something that is a good clutch to add to anyone's arsenal of small bags. 

Pure Leather Should Bag from Autograph £79  This is actually pretty diddy.  So only 24cm in height.  I did try and see this in store today but alas, they didn't have it. 





Soft Faux Leather Clutch from Topshop was £18 now £14.40






Speaking of clutches, I also found this at Vestiaire Collective.  LOVE.  But it's about the size of an iphone. 

Bottega Veneta Clutch £200



So then there is always this option instead.

ASOS Suede Woven Clutch Bag £25



Upping the ante at Vivienne Westwood.

Alex Clutch from House of Fraser £240





Now I'm loving the addition of black.  I think it opens up a whole new set of outfit opportunities.  Which is why this one also floats my boat.  A lot.  I love wearing black in the Summer but sometimes it's a bit much.  This would lift any all black outfit.  In my head I will be the ultimate Parisienne wearing this.  Black tee, black blazer, faded jeans, black sandals (or ecru ones..) and this bag.  All the put together whilst not being completely matchy matchy.  But mostly.

Quilted cross-body bag from Mango £29.99



Of course there is also the straw option.  Neutral tick, summer tick, really reasonable price tick, do I love it... hmmmm little tick.  For holiday, for sure.  But for this country... In the height of Summer yes but I don't think it's "the one". 

However I love the size of this.  Me being Gulliver and all that. 

Straw clutch from Mango £17.99



Off piste.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off piste now.  Going with a plain neutral background.  Essentially as I love this bag. I properly properly love this bag.  I don't know why, it so completely un-me but I'm drawn to it (like a moth to a flame?!)

Beaded Crossbody bag from Zara £29.99



Or blowing the budget... I am curiously drawn to this too.  The fact it will go with my new pleather jacket is neither here nor there.

Love Moschino I Love You bag £155



I'm on a bird roll...

Birds Jute Clutch from Mango £35.99




Actually maybe it's the green I'm drawn to... there is a bit of neutral in here which would match ecru shoes perfectly.  I am so sold in this direction.

Leaves Lapel Clutch from Mango £19.99



Or this one.. again, way out of my comfort zone but I like.  A lot. 

Lulu Guinness Heart Hands Leather Cross Body Bag was £240 now £204



So I have decided - definitely a coloured one with neutral on it.  Which one is your favourite?  Neutral or print with a neutral tone to it? 

In other news... I have been involved in a new campaign for House of Fraser.  I knew it was quite a big deal (they wheeled their gorgeous Marketing Director out for the shoot) and they may have mentioned billboards, but I didn't know they meant BILLBOARDS! 

This was taken in Leeds by a friend of mine.  


What can I say?   The husband's cousin has already asked "is it actually real?" and the children are so non-plussed, it's hilarious.   I have to say, I am rather chuffed, in fact, the campaign and the House of Fraser relaunch is all very interesting to those of us who are slightly older.  Retailers are waking up to how important we are as shoppers.  WHOOOP!  So banging my drum for all these years, has been worth it. 

She says wearing a Michael Jackson red jacket.... (this was yesterday. I wasn't sure but I actually love it).


Sequin lobster sweatshirt - Leon & Harper at Cocaranti
Red Nancy jacket - Boohoo
Khaki skirt - Topshop
Susanna boots - Chloe
Tools bag - Balenciaga

I have been lucky enough to have my hair done today so I am off out with the girls for cocktails this evening to celebrate a billboard or two!  Happy Thursday everyone!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

44 comentarios:

  1. I do like the edginess of the Vivianne Westwood one, and I agree that it would so lift an all black outfit.
    Congratulations on the HOF campaign, I did have a giggle at your insta stories (the ones from the tube), you are so genuine - there's nothing wrong with being chuffed to bits, it's so refreshing. I think it's great that retailers are taking notice of us over 40's, there'll (hopefully) be no crimpolene and blue rinse for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've ordered the Zara bargain one as I saw a very simiilar MaxMara one for about a billion pounds more!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely amazing you must be so proud, certainly one to tell the grandkids when your bum doesn't look 60. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. Red biker is a recipe for disaster. Period. Completely tasteless. Period again. Looks downright trashy on anyone anyway anytime, 100 per cent of time, no matter the age. Would not wear it paid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay you don't like it, but there's absolutely no need to be so rude about it!

      Delete
    2. Agree with Danish Pastry. Everyone should do their own thing or the world would be boring but don't overly impose your views on others or punk them down. I think it looks fab and if I hadn't just acquired 2 bikers I might be joining the red biker club too. Who knows still might :-)

      Delete
    3. In fact I did well with 20% off got to be worth a shot

      Delete
    4. Goodness. Why so rude and aggressive? We all have likes and dislikes.

      Delete
    5. Your response is strangely aggressive given you are just talking about a jacket not the injustices of 3rd world malnutrition.

      You gave your opinion...here's mine. Your response indicates a deep unhappiness. Are you jealous of Kat's success? Poor you. Perhaps a cheerful piece of clothing might help.

      Peace.

      Delete
    6. There isn't really a lot you can say to someone with such a rude reaction is there? I appreciate it isn't going to be for everyone and boy it would be a dull world if we all liked the same it would be a ridiculously dull world. But personally, I always like to go by the adage, if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, what makes you think it's acceptable to write it down? And if you would say that to someone's face? Can I politely request that you just follow someone's else blog and comment there? Thank you xxx

      Delete
  4. WOW! No need for such harshness, Anonymous. Kat - love this outfit, furious I've lived all these years without pairing red and khaki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Works really well, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Red and khaki - fabulous combination. Chuffed to bits on your behalf re the billboard. Thank god retailers are finally realising we are here, and we count too. We have a voice!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the red biker looks great on you. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh someone doesn't hold back! I think the red biker looks fab. Great outfit all round.
    Congratulations on the House of Fraser campaign. Your bum does not look 40 as I'm about 10 years behind and would wear your wardrobe, if I were slimmer and taller! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Anonymous, if you can't say anything nice best not to say anything at all - jog on and find another blog to troll. Kat you look fab, as always, and congratulations on the HOF campaign - loving your blog and insta xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly and thank you xxx

      Delete
  9. You always look fab Kat. Great billboard advert. You must be absolutely over the moon. Well deserved and thanks for championing the over 40s. We now need to see you doing a fashion slot on This Morning or Lorraine! Send them your Insta stories they're hilarious. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many many congrats and you look superb and gorgeous as ever

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you look utterly fabulous in the HoF billboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you! That's amazing, you look fabulous and it's great to see all the hard work you've put in paying off in a rather spectacular way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the red jacket looks fab, going shopping now see if i can find one to suit me.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. I think it's just such a great change to a black or tan one. I wouldn't wear it every day but I love the style so much, I think I'll actually wear it quite a lot!

      Delete
  14. I love the red biker and secretly tempted but I already feel like your stalker :D I agree, you are hilarious on insta stories. Fortunately, before I come knocking on your door to go for drinks, the amazingness of your HoF billboard means I know my place :D Loving a lot of those bags. Have just bought a black dress for a 50th in the summer (I say bought it hasn't arrived yet and could be awful), plan to wear with my red shoes and looking for an interesting bag - the Moschino would could be just the ticket but not sure about the strap. I don't think I am keen on a strap on an "evening" bag. (I've just said strap on - snigger ;-)). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA!!! I know what you mean about the strap.. but I think I've got my head around it!

      Delete
  15. So that billboard was you! I saw it in leeds the other day and had been wondering whether HofF had cheekily nicked your tagline! Absolutely brilliant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the biker - please, Anonymous we are nice people on here - so go and be mean to someone else! Congrats on the campaign xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pleased that all your hard work re the blog has paid off and you're up there on a billboard for all to see!! As a follower from the start you've been such an inspiration to this 40 something - keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats with HOF you are amazing! Hats off to them to snagging you AND because of you I'm having a little browse. Love the Lulu too x. Also jeez Anon - so wrong on every level!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've inspired me to dig out my old red Mango leather jacket - and maybe even pair it with khaki!! Love how we can borrow ideas from others and adapt them for our own shape /taste! Eh, no one forcing anything on anyone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love red with khaki - I think it just gives it a completely different edge. And thank you xxx

      Delete