The reinvention of the humble cardie

This blog post contains affiliate/ad links.

Right. I should start by saying this is one of those things that I want to love and that I love on other people but on me - I just can't really make them work.   I so so want to but it's one item of clothing (I'm sure there are others!) that I just don't feel comfortable in. 

However that doesn't stop me trying. Hell no.  I'm going to give it my best shot to find ones that work for everyone. 

And the key attribute of the cardie this season is that it needs to be chunky.  That I don't have a problem with.  What I do struggle with is the length.  I'm 5ft 10 and I find that most of them cut me off at the wrong place.  They need to be longer.  I did used to have a couple of coatigans (yes that ridiculous fashiony/up its own bum word but it does do exactly what it says on the tin - it's a coat that's knitted) that I loved - huge, oversized, chunky and very very long - from Monsoon.  Which alas they don't do any more and haven't done since.  Massively frustrating but the search is on....

Now unless you are a giant like me, these are absolutely ideal.  Ideal for throwing on at the time of year over a tee whilst it's cooler and then over knits into the Autumn.  Just wear an oversized coat when it's super cold. 

I also find they double up in the evenings over jamas.

Top of the pops and neatly following on from my striped jumper blog post - the striped cardigan.




Pink stripe at Anthropologie (sign up to their newsletter for a 10% discount).

Endora Cardigan £80 Size up for a chunkier, more oversized look.



I think this one from Urban Outfitters is very Ganni without the price tag. 

UO Brushed stripe cardigan £48



We then come on to other chunky options (and we're not talking super chunky here, we're just talking a slightly thicker knit.- none of these would work as a coat coat substitute. A jacket option for warmer transitional aka Autumn, perhaps but not a coat coat.  Makes total sense, said no one ever) - two options here, either slightly tapered at the hem or straight down.  The latter works better if you are more petite and blessed with curves.  The curved hem is ideal if you're taller and straight up and down.  Having said that, as both are longer lined, there really are no hard and fast rules to this - both would ultimately work on anybody.

First up - an example of a slightly curved shape.

ASOS DESIGN oversized cardigan in dusky pink £30



And another at Topshop.



Neutral again but with sleeves that do the talking and in the sale from Free People at ASOS. 




Then we come onto the longer ones.  Now.  It appears that the definition of "long" is somewhat not what I would think "long" was.  Long to me, implies.. errr long?  So that'll be long.. like long?!! ie nearer the ground than not.  Apparently not!  It means not short (which I guess, thinking about it now is a good definition of it...) - it means it's longER than the short ones.  But it's still not LONG in my book - it's verging on medium length which would be midi? 

ASOS however get it completely wrong and wade in with the whole maxi which is just a blatant lie.  This has never been maxi (unless you about 10yrs old).  It's an oversized midi.  End of conversation.  But it's a great cardi (so long as you didn't want a maxi.. which I do!)

ASOS DESIGN maxi oversized cardigan £38


Which they also do in an oatmeal... 

ASOS DESIGN maxi edge to edge cardigan £38


H&M are also lacking in dictionary skills and here's their version of Long... FAB cardigan but definitely a midi length.






Midi again at H&M and I do like the idea of a hoodie... I'm not sure if I'd wear it done up mind you.



And in the cream.. I have to say I would either wear this totally monochrome stylee or I would mix it with winter whites, camels and taupes.   For some reason, these mix of tones doesn't really sit completely well with me.





HOWEVER! I will give them this one as being "long" seeing as I am essentially Hagrid and whilst it still won't be "long" on me, it will be on the rest of the normal population.






THIS is what I'm talking about at Free People although I'm not entirely convinced on the versatility of the colour... 





Full on statement now to liven up all your old jeans... definitely one to put a smile on your face. 




Hippy '70s style statement at Anthropologie, complete with toggles.



Nordic zip through at Urban Outfitters £56 (I LOVE this one but I don't think my daughter will ever forgive me if I buy something from UO!!!)

I love the idea of wearing this one with a pretty blouse, black skinny jeans and a huge oversized black coat and chunky boots.




Finishing with some which are an investment purchase. 












THESE are insane... definitely statement, investment pieces.






I will absolutely endeavour to find some more reasonable versions of the investment pieces.  Although I think probably the best bet for those is to perhaps shop vintage... or ebay! 

I will be back VERY soon with some more Autumnal gems.  I haven't forgotten about boots - I think we probably need to look at trainers and I have a blouse blog post up my sleeve.  OOH not to forget checks... blazers, coats and jackets.  One for each category. They are EVERYWHERE this year!  And yes... the fugly mule clogs are also still on the agenda (I won't bother making that a long one seeing as there are only about 4 people who like them!) 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

5 comentarios:

  1. I still haven't mastered how to wear a cardigan without looking like someone's spinster Auntie! But those investment long cardigans at the end are really worth giving it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankyou for sharing this informative article. i will soon visit again.

    joker henchman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! This post is really informative for me I like it and also I've bookmarked it for future use!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Custom Vape Cartridge Packaging Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great style and fashion collection. Create your own custom apparel & merchc Stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very informative blog I really appreciate this great information. B2B Importers Directory

    ReplyDelete