My newest High Street Crush

Firstly huge apologies for not posting yesterday like I had promised.  Utterly disgraceful of me but I had a full on day which included scouring every toy shop known to man for a Mike the Knight-ish costume (more exhausting than it sounds, honest guv - who knew a 3 year old could have such exacting standards when it come to dressing up) followed by taking a tribe of kids swimming after school due to an unexpected round yellow ball appearing in the sky. 


Was actually due to be out tonight but have sick smallest child and am feeling decidedly unclever myself.  I don't even fancy a glass of wine which pretty much says it all really.  Early night all round.  Hardly rock and roll.  Saving myself for a number of big nights in the next couple of weeks.  


But at least I get to squeeze in a post though and reveal my new favourite High Street store.  Huge congrats to Lulu who commented on my last post and got it right - yes it's Massimo Dutti! 


It's not a huge surprise as they are from the same stable as my beloved Zara and I have shopped there on and off for years.  Predominantly though it's been leather good and jewellery - if I'm completely honest, I've always found the clothes erring towards the more conservative (do you know how long it took me to come up with that phrase as opposed to something less flattering?).  Perfect for work outfits but missing the mark for everyday wear. 


So either I'm living up to the High Street's Stereotype of the 40ish woman (which I will explore more in a couple of weeks) or they've got their act together and are realising that not all "older" woman want to dress like the proverbial politician's wife as soon as they hit a certain age. 


Having said that, I would draw the line at buying an entire wardrobe from there, but frankly, that's a dangerous thing to do in any shop (she says chucking stones in her glass Zara branded greenhouse).  I could however buy an awful lot. 


How does it differ from Zara?  Historically things were much more expensive in Massimo Dutti but Zara prices have really been creeping up over the last couple of seasons.  It's definitely an easier shop to navigate and it just "feels" more exclusive.  It's tidier but then it's much smaller and not nearly as busy (again, in my experience)  I would also say that things seem of a much better quality.  The Husband, in fact, has a number of things from there (he's not exactly Zara shaped....) and they've lasted really well (they're donkeys old to be frank.)


So my hot picks - firstly one which I actually bought.  Having tried on a myriad of cream jackets (in Zara naturally) and trying to find one that one of my friends didn't have (becoming increasingly difficult as we all seem to end up buying the same things - another reason to have a new crush), I was over the moon to find my perfect jacket/cardigan in Massimo Dutti.  Fantastic for everyday casual but dressy enough to also double up as a night out jacket as well (following my new fad for not keeping things for best).  Win win win.




I also think that I might have found the Italy Outfit.  I have surpassed my own expectations by not mentioning it every second sentence (admittedly I would be lying if I said it didn't occupy a large amount of my thinking - something I hadn't planned on confessing as it makes me sound shallower than a bloody puddle but hey ho - it beats counting sheep at night) but it has been somewhat concerning me.  The black All Saints one shoulder dress was definitely a contender but I was concerned that I would look - well just wrong.  Aiming for Sophia Loren - ending up looking like I was doing the walk of shame.  Not really the look I'd had in mind for The Husband's best friend's wedding. 


So from the sublime to the ridiculous, I now have ordered a white dress.  Duh.  But I think that with brightly coloured accessories I hopefully won't look overly bridal.  Am thinking my snakeskin, black, tan and neon Zara sandals, snakeskin clutch (to be purchased) and some bright huge coloured earrings - ideally something bright green to co-ordinate with the lime neon on the sandals - I should eliminate the 2nd wedding, wedding dress element.  I could go with a more delicate strappy nude sandal but I think I need something a bit more brazen rather than going down the pretty route.  Clear as mud?


It's a huge step away from what I would normally go for but I absolutely love it.  No, it's not figure hugging but when you move in it, it's very fluid and does move round your figure and (I think) is actually very flattering in an understated way.  Anyway, I've ordered it to be delivered (wanted to just try the bigger size as well and wanted a fresh one rather than the tried on white one in the shop) so I can have a play around with it.  Thoughts would be grateful!


Here are the rather rubbish pics of me in it (and yes, it is see through.  Needless to say I shan't be wearing black lace pants and shall put a bra on.  Worry not)  Shoes are not mine, just grabbed the nearest heel.





And here it is online   




Best of all - I think I'd get a lot of wear out of it.  Ok so clearly not this summer (although it will be coming away with me when we got to Greece for the weekend at the end of July) but a great little dress for the evenings in the sun.  The black dress I'm going to still take with me for the wedding, but will wear the night before for the dinner we've got.  Result! (she says optimistically.....) 


But on to far more exciting chat - the rest of the gorgeous stock from Massimo Dutti.  Well my number one buy has to be (once I've worked out how to pay for it.... here comes them beans kids) this navy leather biker jacket.  Oh my lord, it's the most divine leather jacket I have seen in years. 




Quilted double breasted leather jacket - here's their pic from the website 




And another little Chanel style one which is again breathtaking.  Not hugely practical on a day to day basis I wouldn't have said, due to it being so distinctive.  Having said that, if money were no object and I wasn't looking for value per wear, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  I think it would last you for years.  There's also a matching skirt which I would absolutely draw the line at, but whatever floats your boat.




Perfect ballet pumps for half the price of Pretty Ballerina or French Sole (and with, dare I say, it a functional sole. Sssssh)




The most wonderful maxi skirt with zip detail.  For not much more than you'd spend at Zara.  In a different league quality wise.




And I could go on and on and on.  Stunning silk blouses (in print - my new obsession.  I'm back in that greenhouse....), gorgeous bags (admittedly more expensive than Zara but then again they look double the price) and some beautiful looking basics which I need to try on to see what they're like. I ran out of time.  


Would love to know what you think - peruse at your leisure - Massimo Dutti.

Finally a link to that Next Jumper.  I refuse to post a pic from the website as they're all so darned hideous, I can't possibly have it on my blog.  But my friend was wearing it again the other day and it is lovely.   I did attempt to try it on but it wasn't on the shop floor at Bluewater.  I did however spy a couple of other lovely things which I papped and am yet to try and find on the website.  Their new stock has come in - I feel a blog coming on.....


So very quickly what I was wearing yesterday and today. 



Jade green linen tee - Zara
Distressed biker jeans - By Malene Birger
Floral jersey blazer - Zara
Gold bee necklace - Alex Monroe
Gold serpent necklace - Stella & Dot
Tan Organza wrap wedges - Clarks
Tan shopper - Zara


And today.  Dressed for sports day in a field which was due to happen but was cancelled this morning.  Hence I look particularly wintery.  To be fair it did rain a lot.  And then was very warm.  I've given up trying to dress appropriately for the weather as you'd have to chance 5 times a day at the moment.  That'll be summer then.  Bugger it.



Orange and stone silk dress - (not as creased when I put it on - had been sat down all day!) - Zara
Distressed biker jeans - By Malene Birger
Chocolate leather biker jacket - All Saints
Fabulous Finches scarf in owl brown - Mulberry
Tan Rockafella boots - Russell & Bromley
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Chestnut cross body bag - Campomaggi from Plumo


Hopefully be back tomorrow.  I "may" have some other sales goodies to report and a smash and grab at Primark......

Share this:

CONVERSATION

58 comentarios:

  1. I knew it would be Massimo Dutti! I love it too. The white dress looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I'm definitely converted. xxx

      Delete
  2. That white dress is fab and looks great on you. I love the jackets - shame the xs is out of stock in the cream though. Or good for my bank balance I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I have to say it's worth tracking that jacket down. It's gorgeous! (sorry - not so great for the bank balance..!!)

      Delete
  3. How funny, I nearly told you the other day that i'd bought a gorgeous linen knitted top from Massimo Dutti...scary bananas...your fashion blog has gone telepathic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love the white dress - nice length and could easily be dressed up or down as appropriate. I don't think there is a Massimo Dutti store in Scotland sadly - will have to peruse the web-site. Do you find their sizing on a par with Zara?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you - I love the white dress but a couple of friends today weren't sure when I showed them the photos. But it's almost so un-me, that I have to have it, if that makes sense? Thank you for the vote of confidence! And yes, spot on about the length. Hides those horrible knees of mine.

      Sizing - I'd say it's on a par with Zara definitely.

      Delete
  5. Wear a white dress to a wedding? When you're not the bride??

    Jesus, Kat.

    Please don't go there. Not unless you know for a fact that the real bride is wearing red/black/pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more. Wearing white is such a faux pas at someone else's wedding! Bit insensitive, sorry Kat, you look lovely and seem such a nice person, but it really is a mistake. :(

      Delete
  6. Wow...that dress looks lovely of you and IMHO, is perfect for the Italian wedding. I also really like the navy leather jacket...I would be there like a shot if my husband hadn't recently bought me the Walker leather jacket from All Saints for my birthday...gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, just read Anon's comment re white; I would ignore the white thing personally as I used to follow this rule but then found loads of peeps ignoring it and wearing white/cream dresses and it has never been an issue because they were not full length or too 'bridal looking' (read meringue) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not about looking "bridal", it's about courtesy. White is the privilege of the bride and guests shouldn't wear it.

      Delete
    2. Have to agree with the above, whether it's done or not isn't the point, it's about having the manners to realise that white is the brides colour. Think the vast majority wearing white to a wedding smack of "look at me!".
      Great dress just not for a wedding.

      Delete
    3. I also have to agree with the above - just because lots of ignorant peeps ignore this basic rule doesn't mean it is OK! ;- )

      Sorry ... I agree that it is all about respect, and not wanting to look like a scene stealer. Wearing white to a wedding is a lot like wearing red to a funeral.

      Delete
    4. I disagree, it's really very bad manners to wear white/cream/ivory as a guest, unless it is requested by the bride and groom on the invitation (some do when its a summer wedding you see). It is the bride's privilege to be the only one in white so she'll will be the center of attention. And think about it, everyone assuming the bride will be in a LONG white dress...who says so? Could be a shorter white dress.

      Delete
    5. ...btw, great dress though, really. Want it for myself. Just...it is see-through? Oh boy, how do you solve that problem then, just by wearing nude underwear? At that price i expect it to be lined though.

      Delete
    6. Fair enough...everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I have offered mine based on my own previous experience...I do not believe that that makes people ignorant though...the world is changing all the time and you have to make decisions based on the circumstances.

      Delete
  8. Agree with "love..." wearing white is off the taboo list....as long as you couldn’t be mistaken for the bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I have to disagee. White is still the traditional colour that brides opt for and makes her stand out from everyone else, particularly now that the old meringues have been replaced with more simple and classic lines, hence Kats dress could look extremely bride like. Even if it was unbridal in style, if you can't give a bride her white day without opting for the same colour, me thinks you don't care that much for the bride. And even if the bride wasn't offended, a big if, I can pretty much garuantee you will be the talk of the day amongst her friends and especially relatives.... and not in a positive light!

      Delete
    2. Guarantee... long day!

      Delete
  9. I think for a hot, overseas wedding the dress will work perfectly. The colours in your planned accessories will make the dress look very unbridal ( is that actually a word) Stunning! Ted Baker has a similar dress but in a beautiful primrose colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been thinking about the whole wearing a white dress to a wedding scenario ....... Kate Middleton had her sister and Chief Bridesmaid wearing a white dress and it wasn't the dress that everyone was talking about but Pippa's derrière!

      I of course obviously need to get a life ;-)

      Delete
    2. You certainly do. Kat is not a bridesmaid, darling.

      Delete
    3. Erm ... the bit about getting a life was said firmly tongue in cheek.

      I do realise that Kat isn't a bridesmaid. My point was that it is usually a huge no-no for a bridesmaid to wear white, never mind a wedding guest. Maybe Kate and Pippa M have broken the unwritten rule about only the bride wearing white/cream/ivory etc.

      Delete
  10. Hi kat, Firstly i must say that the Massimo Dutti Ivory Dress looks fabulous on you, and when you add the accessories and shoes, it will be perfect for your wedding in Italy. As for the wearing white to a wedding - well i think the length and style of the dress with the colourful additions will be absolutely fine and not at all "bridal". As for Massimo Dutti - i understand the attraction and was very excited to look at the stuff on-line. Sadly living in the west country there are no shops here (but my husband will be delighted!). So it will be on line ordering only!! Loved the leather jackets and you are right, the bags and jewellery are fab! By the way i found the 'horn' mango necklace on the mango website - wasnt on there before. Looks like they put into the sale - much to my delight. Ordered it and its on its way - thanks. Loving your posts - its comforting to know that Im not the only obsessive shopper and zara lover around(along with my daughter who at 16 is nearly as good a shopper as I am!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought that necklace as loved it. Unfortunately the smaller metal bits that go round your neck twist on my clavicle bones so it doesn't sit right. Lola like model in the pic it did the same. So disappointed as love it.

      Delete
  11. Ohh, my guess was right. Do I get a prize? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oouu.., Massimo Dutti! I love MD! They used to have nice affordable cashmere sweaters which I love.. I bought a leather jacket thin enough to use during Dubai spring to replace my thicker Balenciaga one and last few months I bought a sail jacket from the brand. The white dress is divine and you look like a goddess! It's a good crush I have to say.. :)

    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES DAILY where Fashion and Food collide!
    FOODIE WEEKEND - Thai Green Curry
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.com/2012/07/foodie-weekend-thai-green-curry.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just saw that my name is mentioned in this blog entry <>

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dress is lovely on you. B*******s to not wearing the colour white at weddings - as long as its not a full on bridal gown I say white is right! That navy biker jacket is gorgeous. It HURTS me that I don't have any "give" on my credit card currently.....x

    ReplyDelete
  15. fivefoottwowitheyesofblueSaturday, 07 July, 2012

    That dress looks soooo much better on you than it does on the website! I agree that if you go a bit more 'rocky' with your accessories (rather than nude and pretty) it will be fine for a wedding - tis 2012 afterall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a bit of Massimo Dutti. I need that Chanel-esque jacket in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love your blog... Thank you. I think white is fine for the Italy wedding with the colours you are going to accessorise with... The dress looks lovely.
    If I was to buy from massimo dutti and I'm normally a size 10 but 34dd would you go for size small or medium ?..
    Cheers x

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dress suits you, but it's see through...that would be a definite no no for me. And the next jumper, I've checked back to see this and it really must look better on, because it's not looking good on the website. Looks like something my Mum would wear!

    Loving that navy biker jacket though, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kat. Could you tell me, did you end up keeping the tan bag from Cos? I am after a bag similar to this, and wonder if you would recommend, as haven't seen you weraing it in your pics?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slightly bummed out...MD does not ship to the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  21. why do people post anonymously? If it's not worth putting your' name to, then it's really not worth anyone elses time reading it.
    On the 'wedding' debate, I don't think white is taboo any more. I can remember when no-one would ever dare where black for a wedding - that was for funerals only.
    Black is now particularly fashionable at weddings, as are black bridesmaid dresses also. Who'd have thought hey? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. On the white dress issue, what if the bride is a traditionalist and believes that only she should be in white? The last thing I would want to do is upset or annoy a bride of her big day.
    I would always err of the side or caution, plain white dresses are off limits at a wedding imho.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Why is everyone thinking so ethnocentrically about this whole wedding dress colour business...traditionally the colour of a bridal dress in Italy was GREEN (to symbolise fertility amongst other things)! Are Italian brides really as bothered about clashing colours with guests as some of us seem to be anyway? Has anyone who has proffered an opinion even been to an Italian wedding? Genuinely interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vikki, (sorry this is anonymous, I can't get my name to go on!) Yes, I lived in Milan for 17 years and I have to say that every bride wore white. It was also customary for guests not to wear white out of respect. I agree with a lot of the comments, particularly the advice to err on the side of caution! Pippa wore white with the bride's blessing, but generally it's best not to risk upsetting someone on their big day!! Baya x

      Delete
    2. Fair enough then, I've only been to one Italian wedding where the bride didn't wear white (but it was quite an err, untraditional wedding in lots of ways!), it just made me wonder thats all...I do agree with you that to err on the side of caution is definitely sensible in any situation where there may be a possible unknown code of conduct. And its not like there aren't a load of dresses out there to choose from, it is the wedding (and sale!) season after all!

      Delete
  24. Hi, don't mean to be anonymous, but can't get my name on here! Yes, lived in Italy for many years, brides always wore white, guests never. Some good advice in the remarks above. Best to err on the side of caution - I'm sure none of us would want to upset a bride on her special day:) Baya x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I'm so bad at this, I've written two versions of the same thing. Sorry folks! x bx

      Delete
  25. I absolutely love the Massimo Dutti leather jacket you bought. I'm in Spain on holiday at the moment and was admiring it in store only yesterday, it is as soft as butter. However is Spain it is priced at €195 as opposed to £225 on the uk link you posted. €195 equates to less than £155 today. But it is beautiful and I would love it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do love that Zara floral blazer on you ... I have just bought it (for the um, second time) and am going to try not to be put off by the whole "oh but she wears it better" thing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what a lot of "feedback" on the dress!? White, styled the way you are suggesting, is fine for an Italian summer wedding. You are guaranteed there will be no hats and maxi dresses unless they are on English guests. It will be very hot and brilliant fun. Italian wedding traditions do vary a lot between areas but I've seen people in all sorts at family weddings. Heels are a must though if it's a wedding in a little village you may want to consider a wedge - I've rued wearing heels at many weddings as I stumbled inelegantly across uneven cobblestones.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the dress on you. As long as you eschew the veil, and try to avoid wailing 'It should have been MEEEEEEEEEEEE!' too loudly during the ceremony, I think you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sadly, I think don't think wearing white at a wedding is taboo anymore, I am seeing it more and more at weddings, along with cleavage spilling out of dresses and hemlines barely covering bums. As others have said before it is not about being mistaken for the bride if you wear white, it just shows a lack of manners and respect.
    Therese,x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wore red to my father's funeral. He thought it was my best colour.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kat, you look great in everything and the white dress is no exception! However if you are having 2nd thoughts following some of the views above - consider the jasmin tatoo dress at Freda on Matches.com - would suit you and is massively reduced in the sale.......Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  32. 52 comments, now 53 Jesus christ I am amazed, well done you! Anyway I am not going to comment on the white to a wedding thing but that dress is bleeding gorgeous and you have to get it even if not for the wedding, it looks amazing on you, please buy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. 54 comment well this could become a national debate like the one should women over 40 wear a bekini. I love the dress on you definitely buy it and with the right accessories it would be perfect. If you know the bride or friends why not ask how she feels otherwise I suppose the last thing you would want to do is upset the bride but buy the dress wear it on your anniversary night

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the dress on you - go for it. I love that navy leather jacket from MD. I am trying to curb my new habit on seeing pics on blogs and putting them on my list. I bought the snakeskin scarf from M&S the other day, cannot take it off my neck. That jacket has just moved to the top of my list. Damn you girl, you are just too fly! x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Didn't even cross my mind about the dress being white, but must admit I'm not loving it Kat :-/

    The leather jacket however... ;)

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete