The dregs of the sales come up trumps

I normally avoid the dregs of the sales like the plague.  It's probably actually easier to catch the plague than it is to grab a bargain in the jumble sale they fob us off with as "the bargain rack".  I think you mean the rack of shite.  Rails and rails of mismatched, old stock, most of it damaged and nearly all of it in random sizes and from a fashion era that time would prefer to forget.


However clearly I had had way too much sun the other day and, as per usual, was in full on panic mode for holiday shopping for this weekend.  Having said that, even if I wasn't going away, as soon as the temperature creeps above 25 for more than two consecutive days, I can be found scouring the shops for new summer outfits.  When I have a wardrobe full of tat that I have bought every year in the same scenario since Jesus was a boy.  And never wear the following year.  Bob has certainly got his hat on. He is a summer lad, the git. 

But lo and behold.  Two fabulous fabulous beauties were there, beaming at my friend and I, like beacons in the darkness of sales tripe on a last min shopping trip the other evening. And, AND, we were in M&S of all places.  We were in fact walking through Marks to get the kids clothes and then go on with the shopping but were waylaid by a couple of interesting pieces (more on that with an A/W round up - of course as the sun is out, I am now getting excited about winter clothes.  I am nothing if not supremely weird)  But we then stumbled on these lovelies hanging on the end of sales rack.

And here they are - a jumpsuit in black with white paint splat effect (gosh that sounds attractive, not).  Will be fab for during the day to drag on over a cossie for lunch and drinks and can even dress it up in the evening with huge chandelier earrings and black strappy sandals.  For £12.  Yes ladies, £12!  And it was a size 8.  Faint.  Ok admittedly it's M&S and their sizes are, I think on the whole, on the generous side, but still, I could get my right leg in it so am quite pleased (not, in the scheme of things, that that should matter at all...)


And secondly this absolutely stunning number which I am ridiculously pleased with and, to be fair, would have bought for full price (I think it was £35 or £38)   Won't be taking this away with me as it will be too warm to wear, but am thinking it will be a staple top for the A/W.  Clearly has been left in the carrier bag.  Oops.



As all good things come in threes, these two made up my trio of sales bargains as I picked up this wonderful snakeskin Michael Kors bag in the sale at House of Fraser.  Has already been used the other week for my black tie dinner with the All Saints dress but looks great with the snakeskin Zara shoes as well and will be useful this weekend and with all my summer (and winter for that matter) dressier outfits.  Am very pleased indeed - it was £129ish down from £195.



Now, I have some other vaguely exciting new to share.  This is something that no-one else will remotely care about but it's a Big Deal for me.  I have had a leg shaped about turn.  In that they have actually, in this gloriously, wonderful weather - oh hello Summer, where have you been? - been set loose on the general public.  In shorts.  Gasp.  I bought these last year when we went to Italy for two weeks and not even I could encase my legs in trousers or skirts in that heat.  Think boil in the bag limbs. 

Admittedly I did get them out only to go to the swimming pool, where everyone is in swimming costumes (no shit sherlock) and generally massively laid back.  But I sort of forgot I had them on and found myself in Waitrose suddenly realising that my legs were on display to the masses.  Clearly my subconscious had been aware that they had been fake tanned within an inch of their lives - I would have to live on a Caribbean island for about 5 years to get them anywhere near this colour.  But the world didn't fall of its axis, no-one died - obviously no-one cared.  Least of all me.  Breakthrough made.  And I will be wearing shorts again today.  As soon as the temp dips below 25 I will be encasing them in fabric again but for the moment, a rather big leap forward for me as I totter towards 40. (still won't be getting my knees out in a dress for the wedding though - baby steps and all that... Actually I'm not being a massively vain twit, it's difficult with the balance of leg and dress etc etc etc.  And I actually think I may have found a replacement for the controversial white number.  Will report back)


Black vest - Primark
Multicoloured top - French Connection
Shorts - Warehouse
Sunglasses - H&M
Black glitter flipflops - Primark
Black hobo bag - Marc Jacobs

And to end with a quick round up of what I've been wearing over the past week - a couple are missing - not quite sure how that happened - last week of term was rather chaotic to say the least.  Apologies


Nude vest - Primark
White linen tee - Zara
Distressed biker jeans - By Malene Birger
Grey patent ballet flats - Gap
Gold bee necklace - Alex Monroe
Gold serpent necklace - Stella & Dot
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Fuchsia Roxanne tote - Mulberry



Nude vest - Primark
Olive maxi dress - Cos
Hat - Fat Face
Black glitter flip flops - Primark
Resin and shell necklace - By Malene Birger
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Black hobo bag - Marc Jacobs


And for late night shopping and dinner with a friend the other night 



Black vest - Primark
Black and cream oversized sheer top - Cos
Gold fretwork earrings - Etsy
Leopard print jeans - Primark
BLack patent ballet flats - Primark
Black hobo bag - Marc Jacobs

If it wasn't apparent, my hair doesn't function in this weather.  Think Monica from Friends.  I don't even attempt to fashion it into something that you can't see from space.  As you were. 


Share this:

CONVERSATION

19 comentarios:

  1. Love the shorts with that FC top in fact I want that top, bad! I wear shorts constantly in hot weather but keep them to just above the knee, don't like them too short but you ain't even 40 yet, so go girl, you look fab x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my love. I have indeed had a bit of a turn around with regards to my legs, which I'm putting down completely to fake tan! I'd hate to look back in 20 years time and think I should have got them out! xxx

      Delete
  2. There's nothing wrong with your knees and with your figure I'd be wearing shorts every day! Love the sales bargains. Think all the rubbish has been sent to Devon as I can find nothing worth buying! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried looking online? Try Zara online as they seem to have put some more stock on, if you're still in the market for a bargain! (and thank you for your lovely comments! xxX)

      Delete
  3. Kat you have lovely legs! Pity the poor, just over 5ft, with 'meaty' calves person...that Will.Never. go out in public with legs on display!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did it, anyone can. It's mind over matter, I'm now convinced. Plus a healthy dose (read a lot) of fake tan! xxx

      Delete
  4. Ditto what the others have said - I would kill for your legs! Good to see you back, and loving the FC top too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you that's so kind! The FCUK top was an impulse purchase about 4 years ago and I have to say it does come into it's own a couple of times a year as a pull over on warmer days. Wouldn't wear it every day but am pleased I didn't get rid of it! xxx

      Delete
  5. I WAS LOOKING AT THE SAME CLUTCH (THE SLOANE CLUTCH BY KORS)IN SOFT NUDE PINK BUT THE ONE THAT THEY HAD (THE ONLY ONE) WAS MADE POORLY! THE STITCHING WAS OFF AND IT WAS DIRTY FROM TOO MANY TOUCHES AS IT WAS ON DISPLAY, SO I PASSED. I THINK I'LL GET THE NEW ROSE BLUSH FOLD CLUTCH FROM BALENCIAGA INSTEAD WHEN I GO ON A TRIP IN EUROPE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE 12% VAT. BETTER THAN NOTHING, RIGHT? ;D

    KISSES FROM :
    A SMALL BLOG WITH A BIG HEART
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES DAILY where Fashion and Food collide!
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get the Balenciaga if you can justify it. Sounds absolutely gorgeous!! Can't wait to read all about it! xxxx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. So so so sorry - was away in Greece and then manic with my mum staying with us etc. Poor excuses but i'm back now! Loads of things to bring you in the next week or so. Yee haaa (there's a clue there.....!!)

      Delete
  7. Yes....we miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am back now!! Have loads of ideas of things for the next week or so so watch this space! xxxx

      Delete
  8. Kats in italy??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greece! So close! Italy is at the end of August. (this is not usual summer behaviour I can assure you!!) xxx

      Delete
  9. Er hello?? Nothing at all wrong with your knees - unlike my doughballs. I would need someone holding a gun to my head before I would get mine out on display! Love all the outfits and is the MJ bag a new purchase? I'm always on the lookout for the perfect black bag...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear to god I was exactly the same until I discovered copious amounts (and I mean copious) amounts of fake tan. Distraction from the knees. The MJ bag is a Marc by Marc Jacobs Faridah hobo from 2006! Bought it just after RR2 was born. Has lasted really well actually although I haven't used it excessively as it's got a dodgy lining that I'm not too fond of! Yes the perfect black bag is indeed very elusive......

      Delete
  10. Come on Kat I need you to do another post. I am going cold turkey!

    ReplyDelete