A belated New Year's Resolution

Ridiculously belated of course.  But since I only started the blog months after New Years, I feel I'm justified in just bunging a couple in along the course of the year.  And we've only merely squeaked past the 6 month stage so there's practically a whole half year ahead of us.  Eons. (to completely manage to ignore them)

So, NY Resolution 1) I will not keep things for best. 

I absolutely know that I'm not alone in doing this.  They're always either a) the most expensive things and/or b) your favourite things in the wardrobe.  That get worn the least.

Because, with the best will in the world, if they're "for best", by their very definition, they're kept for special occasions which, unless you're Kate Middy or Kate Moss, are few and far between in your life.  (please excuse me if I'm jumping to conclusions and you're out on the town every night, glamming it up.  If you are, the chances of you reading my blog however, I'm going to surmise, are low)

So you spend a fortune on something you love, wear it a couple of times a year, for a couple of years and then (not this could be just me) sort of - go off it a bit.  It's old hat and you have something new and sparkly, expensive and flavour of the month, to wear instead. 

Well for starters, I think we should all drag out those forlorn, neglected, previous loves of our lives that have been relegated to the back of the wardrobe and wear them with pride.  During the day.  

I know, I know, there's still that loyal little nugget at the back of your brain that's telling you, you can't as "it's for best".  Kick that bugger to the curb. I can guarantee you, by wearing something you love - be it a silk blouse, a dress, a pair of trousers, a necklace or a jacket, you will get such a kick out of wearing it, there'll be no stopping you, plundering the long forgotten jewels of yesterday in your wardrobe. 

I had a mini wardrobe declutter at the weekend (truth be told, the only reason was that the rail was looking suspiciously under threat of breaking - a disaster of monumental proportions in the making, so drastic action was taken.)  And I came across a couple of jackets, some tops and dresses that I don't wear during the day.  But wouldn't particularly want to wear out at night anymore either.  Some because I've worn them a lot and they're old hat - everyone I know has seen them numerous times and some because they just don't feel that special anymore.  There are usurpers to their crowns.

So yesterday, I wore my pearly king and queen jacket from Phase Eight (which wasn't particularly expensive but I just loved it when I bought it). I wear it very occasionally but it's ranking has been downgraded from Very Special to Casual Night out.  Well it now has a new special place in my wardrobe as my favourite every day jacket.  Huzzah!  

I have a number of dresses I've unearthed that with boots (to be bought - oh love that justification....) and opaques and a little black blazer or leather jacket, come the A/W will be great. (ok so I could wear them now with this rain of biblical proportions that we're having but even I draw the line at wearing bloody tights in July.  Wrong on every level and bound to cause psychological damage)

And there-in lies the end of NY Resolution One.  I'm sure I can think of more come the end of the season (surely we must be nearly there yet...... actually did we even have an S/S???)

Speaking of wearing ridiculous things in the summer - I have another new scarf which is Totally Justified and not actually ridiculous in the slightest.  Another scarf from the wonderful Scarf Envy who have the best S/S scarfs - the perfect size and the perfect weight.  This is my new little gem that I have on today - the Star Print Scarf in Olive  Exactly what we all need in these depressing climes.  A small something to cheer us up that's both gorgeous and functional.  And (obviously - would I post anything else?) - that will take us into the A/W!



So a quick round up of what I wore yesterday and today.  I'm not even going to mention the weather (which is a first, I appreciate).  I haven't had a lobotomy, I've just accepted that we've had our Summer.  The two weeks in total that we were clearly only due this year.  And am wearing some of my favourite warmer clothes - not keeping them for best or special (gotta love me throwing myself into the NYR number one on day two.)  This would normally be a "going out for lunch, doing something nice" outfit but yesterday I did sweet FA as RR3 was sick (again).  But it certainly made me feel cheerier.  Honestly, I beg you all to try.


Blush oversized jumper - H&M
Cream straight leg trousers turned up - Zara
Blush and fuchsia Camel scarf - Virginia Johnson
Gold serpent necklace - Stella & Dot
Clay Thelma Wedge trainers - Ash
Vanilla Roxanne - Mulberry

And today I made it to the gym.  I very nearly died - I did an Ultimate Spin class and I haven't been for over 7 weeks.  But boy do I feel better (ish).  Had promised RR3 that I would take him to Bluewater for the afternoon (honestly he loves it there - my little Civil Ceremony Son)  I had also promised that we would try and track down a Mike The Knight costume for him (if anyone knows of where I can get hold of one, please please do let me know - you'll be in my debt forever) and some new school uniform.

However I was chuffing knackered (hence the ish bit about me feeling better after 45 min of hardcore and unfamiliar exercise) and so we came home and watched a movie.  Bliss.


White vest (not seen) - Primark
Beige linen tee - Zara
Distressed Indigo Baxters - Topshop
Star print Olive scarf - Scarf Envy - see above - how lovely is it?!
Chocolate leather biker jacket - All Saints
Cheetah print ponyskin shopper - Zara
Gunmetal hitops - Ash

Now I have been perusing some of the sales sites - it's killing me guys, it's completely killing me, but I will do a round up tomorrow of things which I covet but can't afford. 

And finally the Next jumper.  Tomorrow I promise! 


Share this:

CONVERSATION