So what happens now in the sales..

...is the law of sod.  Things that you really want either a) sell out or b) they don't go in the sale at all (as they're new season stuff and end up in usefully in the sale come September or later.)

So super handily, this week in Grazia there is a 25% off voucher for River Island with the code GRAZIAJUNE14.  And I randomly have had my eye on some sandals in there in white or silver so thought today was the perfect opportunity to just have a look and see if there was anything I couldn't live without.   All prices are before the discount so take an extra 1/4 off.  Pretty good deal and probably as good as you'd get in the sale anyway.  At least this way you actually get something you want and in the right size.

Starting with the sliders.  Well.  I bought the white ones to *think* about them (I know have about 6 pairs of white sandals here - I'm going to have to do a show and tell, it's embarrassing and they all make me look like a Swimming Gala Umpire) 

They so should work - why don't they?!  In my head they work so so well.  In reality... well.  

These are the ones I loved (from a distance) 

White Cross Strap Mule Sandals £28







I then thought that maybe the Silver ones would look slightly less "surgical" (there was a faint whiff of working in a hospital about the white ones, which isn't a bad thing if you do work there but I don't.)   However I fear that I look like either Dorian from BIrds of a Feather or like I have wrapped my sandals in tin foil.  I went with no, I do not need.

Silver Metallic ones £28




image


However I am BORED of thinking about these blasted things - I just want a pair of light coloured ones so let's move swiftly on.

And I have excellent news.  Jeans.  Oh yes, I have discovered some fabulous skinnies.  Who would have thought it but yes, they are honestly honestly fantastic.  They are apparently made of magic fabric. 

Now I tried them on in the rather interesting verging on snow wash which I personally wouldn't recommend (each to their own though) but this was the only one I could grab instore in a long leg.  And it's plenty long as well.  They also do a regular and a petite.


image


image




My preferences would be the following. 

Dark Wash Amelie Superskinny Reform Jeans £40






Pretty perfect midwash pair Amelie jeans £40





Grey Amelie pair £40




Super useful black pair - Black Amelie Reform jeans £40




There are white ones which I have to say are an excellent fit.  My one teensy tiny gripe would be that they are slightly on the thin side denim wise but I guess that makes them perfect for the summer, and you're hardly going to wear them with a cropped top (well, I'm certainly not going to, anyway) 

White Reform Amelie jeans in white £40




image


I had high hopes for the Straight Leg Daisy ones in a mid wash also at £40.  Which was a shame as they were blooming dreadful.  Muffintastic.  And that will be a low rise for you.  I shall here and now make the commitment to not even attempt to try these again - it's a mid rise at the very lowest.


Look and guffaw although to be fair, they are fab through the leg so if you're a bigger gym devotee than me and don't have gateaux for hips, these may work for you. 

Mid wash ripped Daisy slim jeans £40









Moving onto tops now and this one is too gorgeous, as can be seen in the pic on the model. 


image










Also love this - a silky fabric, not a tee shirt in the cotton jersey sense of the word.  Would be easily dressy enough to wear out in the evening. 


Black Oversized V Neck Woven Tee shirt - £22





image

We're aware of my current obsession with all things printed and this caught my eye.  Love.  Although I'm not sure a) how I feel about getting money off a charity tee and b) I don't know if you actually do.  Either way, for £18 it is the most beautiful soft burnout cotton.  Gorgeous and well worth £18.

Grey War Child oversized charity t-shirt £18



image


They also do this in a pink which I think would be stunning with grey jeans.

Pink War Child oversized Charity t-shirt £18




Now a gorgeous summery top is the back split linen top, here in pink £20






As you can see - it is on the see through side so you may want to wear a vest under the lighter colours.  Alternatively you would probably get away with a nude bra, deffo not a white one as you can see here. 




image image




Also love it in the navy 




They also have it in lemon, bright pink and white which you can see on the above links.

Last but not least, I found an amazing pair of sandals.  The pics really do not do these justice - they are absolutely lovely. 

Tan snake strap block heel leather sandals £50




image



And there is so so so much more but they are the things that really caught my eye as I bombed in to have a look for the sandals. 

Finishing with outfits from yesterday and today.

Here is a prime example of what happens when you rush with your fake tan and it's totally pants.  You need to wear jeans for a day and then scrub your legs till they're raw.  The perils of Irish skin (and being a lazy arse...) 

70's stylee.  Actually I love this outfit but the shoes aren't high enough with hindsight.  Need my Sam Edelman wedges.  And actually these from NW3 have a wooden sole and are seriously uncomfortable after a day's trudging about.  You live and learn.  There's a reason I don't wear them very often!


image 

Silk peasant blouse - Monsoon
Kick flare jeans - Stella McCartney
Wooden sole sandals - NW3 by Hobbs
Cognac cross body bag - Campomaggi from Plumo

And today when I spent all of 10 mins of fake tan on my legs but 10 mins of care.  It makes all the difference.  All hail the new dress. 


image

Linen black and grey dress - Next
Oversized buckle sliders - Zara
Diego bag - Alexander Wang

The poor Husband has been waiting nearly two hours now for a train so supper out with the kids has had to be postponed (try explaining that to a small boy with Asperger's!) but we have instead, in anticipation of a late Daddy, the Opening Ceremony of the World Cup and Domino's on the way.  Almost as good......

Share this:

CONVERSATION

35 comentarios:

  1. You look superb in the Amelie Skinnies! They look fantastic on you! I have a feeling that you have now identified that I may *need* a pair of silver slides in my life....thank goodness for the discount code! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have to say I was v surprised but how comfy they were too. Gorgeous soft stretchy but not too stretchy denim. Good luck with the silver ones - I've stayed with white - they were just slightly *too* shiny for me!! But I do love them for sure x

      Delete
  2. My eldest has the white river island sandals in your top picture and hasn't taken them off for weeks! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the jury is still out here but I'm going to keep them and wear them round the house and see if I can used to them! They are fabulously comfortable. x

      Delete
  3. I have silver Birkies and love them - these look great! LOVE RI right now - can't get enough! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are doing lots right for sure! I will leave you to the silver birkies - I can't quite get to grips with something so bright!

      Delete
  4. I have ordered the white long shorts from RI with the discount code you posted yesterday so thank you thank you. Made my purchase a very reasonable £21. Hope they aren't too thin material wise as I can't be faffed with always trying to locate suitable underwear We'll see

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought some Birkies lookalikes today in Clarks that are insanely comfortable but I love these silver ones too. Can I ask what fake tan you use as the colour is lovely? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I didn't know Clarks did any - I'll go and have a look. The fake tan is Cocoa Brown 1 hour tan mousse - best I've ever used. x

      Delete
  6. I have a friend who swears by River Island for skinny jeans, and I really think it's time I ventured in there. I just get slightly intimidated by all the gorgeous young things in neon vest tops who look at me with a definite hint of pity as I walk past ... in all my 'I'm old enough to be your mother so why am I in this shop' glory :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is that slight hurdle to get over but balls to them - get your skinny ass in there!

      Delete
  7. Can I have your legs please??? :) you could wear a sack and still look great!!!1 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you're lovely and thank you (there is still I can put on and it look bloody awful mind!) xx

      Delete
  8. Have recently got a pair of Ashley slim boyfriend fit from RI, really pleased with them will now check out the skinnies.
    Sue
    Bestfriendstyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't try the boyfriends on but was insanely impressed with the skinnies x

      Delete
  9. You need those jeans, they fit you perfectly. The colorblock dress looks great on you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Love the linen dress - so so easy to wear x

      Delete
  10. Oooh you're on such a roll just now with your recommendations! Ordered that Next dress in white yest and now feeling the need for that RI linen top - how does it come up for size? Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, only just seen this - I'd say the top is bang on size actually. Hope that helps xx

      Delete
  11. River Island are so good - I am loving a lot of these things - especially the amazing white jeans - they fit so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've got some fab stuff definitely - love the jeans but they are ever so slightly thin??

      Delete
  12. I love RI jeans - always a great fit. I have searched everywhere (except RI obviously) for a navy knit top to wear with patterned navy trousers/jeans so thanks for tip off! Jill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you're welcome! The linen tops are gorgeous as are the jeans. Hope it works for you x

      Delete
  13. I tried on that dress in Next yesterday - actually it was one with the white & brown & I was gutted that it did not suit me at all. Looks fab on you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh such a shame - have to say I am over the moon with it!

      Delete
  14. Your blog is always a great read, I'd never think to look in River Island, never really liked it, even when I considered myself the right age for it, was always more of a topshop girl, yet you have managed to find things I think I need...well want to have anyway....two of the t shirts and the sandals, your pic makes the tan leather look beautiful. And a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, the tan snakeskin shoes look so so much more expensive in real life!

      Delete
  15. Love, Love, Love the grey War Child T-shirt, might have to get me one of those!!! .....and oooooooo love the shoes also.....what's a girl to do???? . Visited Next yesterday and purchased the linen dress in the grey/ black and the white/ stone.....explained to hubby that you said it would be OK !! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it? The most lovely soft floaty jersey. And hope you like the dresses! (even though the sun seems to have disappeared....)

      Delete
  16. Dear Kat, new to this blogging lark but appreciating all your hard work. On your tan slider quest - have you tried Mephisto? Similar to Birkenstocks, twice the price - bit off the other well beaten track but worth a look......Good luck.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check them out, thank you so so much for your lovely comments xx

      Delete
  17. God that Next dress is goood! What a find, love the skinnies they look utterly fabulous on you, I fear my fat sausage legs may do more damage than good in them but I so gunning for a pair of white jeans...will continue with the shred and hope the inches finally come off!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try JCrew - they are a much thicker white denim. Good like with the shred!! xxxx

      Delete
  18. I'm in love with RI Matilda jeans atm after trying a pair on & I really want them! I do need indigo skinnies too! I love your boho outfit! Its just gorgeous & that Next dress is a total winner! Ax

    ReplyDelete