Well that was slightly depressing.

Warning.  Do not scroll down if you are eating or planning on eating shortly.

It's a dreaded jeans search.  I suddenly today had a total urge to wear my skinny jeans.  Having only had 3 pairs of jeans to wear for 10 days - and them all being of a straighter, looser fit, I needed to go back to my jeans comfort zone.  

And I was surprised to see how old my favourite ones are.  The reason for that, is that these are vile to buy.  Awful, awful, things - surely we all have hideous memories of getting over heated and stuck in jeans in those super tight changing rooms?  Of struggling to do them up, only to find your muffin merrily chugging its way over the top of the waistband.  Nice. 

I haven't ventured down this route for a while (ok I lie - I did try on some white ones which was an absolutely disastrous attempt at shopping but not indigo...) and wondered (hoped?!) if I'd find it any easier.  And there was good and, predictably bad, denim news.

So let's start with the positives as to be fair, there were some. 

Lee Scarlett Skinny Jeans £95 in Blue Favourite   Different leg lengths and true to size.

Lovely denim, thick but not too thick, just the right amount of stretch to them and a lovely neutral wash of slightly distressed.  Ideal for all occasions.  These are what I would say is a normal cut.  Not too high (I'll be honest, I prefer higher) but certainly enough to tuck a muffin into if you're not too long in the body.  


These would be perfect if you're not too tall.   I did like them but they weren't my favourite.




image image

My fave by a country mile were the good old faithful Levi's (again)  True to size and again, different leg lengths.  Perfect thickness of denim and my favourite all year round, ideal wash. 



image image


Now admittedly I hadn't seen this pic before I tried them on, as they don't really fit under the category of skinny jeans at all - to me these are straight leg and they are very very comfy.  They denim has an awful lot of stretch to it but is still sturdy enough not to feel like a jegging at all (super stretchy which means they are super easy to wear).  For me personally, too much. I like my jeans to be slightly more structured than these.  

I also think you could size down in these - this is a 10 that I tried and they are definitely on the generous side.  And they are very high waisted - not a muffin in sight! 

NYDJ Skinny Jeans £139.95 (the pic isn't the best but at least they fit her)





image


Now whilst we're talking of super stretchy, these from Oasis definitely fit under that heading.  For me, these are more like a jegging.  Great if you're looking for something very easy to wear and move in and a much thinner fabric than nearly all of the other jeans (bar the Salsa ones - see further down...)  Lower cut again (not as low as the 7FAMK ones - again see below.) and too low for me personally but then I am 5ft10 so will always need something higher cut than the majority of people out there. 

This is the lighter version of the ones I tried on. 

Oasis Copenhagen Jade Crop Jeans £40



As you can see - on the low cut side... (I did warn you it wasn't pretty) 


image

But they are a pretty good cut on the leg.  

image



These are the ones that, let's just say didn't really work.  At all.  Not in the slightest.  Barf.  These are the same size as all the others I tried on and are so so so low cut, it was a miracle there wasn't foliage on show.  On the upside, they were a great length and I liked the fit through the leg.  Just a shame they were so tight on the waist (well, lower hips), they almost cut off the blood supply to my thighs.

image



Which is attractive :-

image

They were so so so SO tiny.  This was the same size as all the others I had tried on and it wasn't a case of not being able to do them up, I couldn't even get them past my thighs.  

However I am personally well equipped at the moment with skinny jeans - and am wearing one of my favourite pairs today which pretty much tick on every box - the Boden ones.  In fact, I wore them out this evening and no-one could believe they were from Boden.  They're fab. 

Mine are 18 months old but they redo them every season. 

Skinny Jeans in Washed indigo £49





image


Now they didn't have any of these in store today but I did try some on their jeans in other colours which are superb.  I can vouch for these, as I have a pair in a different colour and totally adore them.  These would be a very similar fit.   All MV jeans are true to size.
Light Washed Jeans from Mint Velvet £59



Houston Skinny Jeans in mid indigo £59



Skinny jeans in indigo £59 And in a darker shade - I love this with white in the summer. 




So there we have my indigo story.  Top of the pops was definitely the Levi's but I have to day my Boden ones do the job incredibly well and are highly recommended.  

image

Skinny jeans in washed indigo - Boden
Silk shirt - Zara
Boucle jacket in navy - Zara
Navy and white ballet flats - The British Flat Shoe Company 
Tan bag - Prada

Here the Boden ones are for out in the evening - dinner with the girls.  All a bit rushed so I just changed my top and my shoes. 


image

Print silk top - Zara
Washed indigo skinny jeans - Boden
Boucle jacket in navy - Zara
Black suede shoes - Zara
Tan bag - Prada

Fear not if you were after different coloured skinnies - there are success stories and there are also some pretty vile pics on their way another day. 

Tomorrow I am going canoeing.  Yes, you read that correctly.  My day of canoeing for one of my closest friend's 40th birthday's starts at 9.15 and finishes at 4pm.  Apparently you need to wear waterproof clothing.  This shall be interesting.....

Share this:

CONVERSATION

48 comentarios:

  1. Love the "honest" photos! I've given up on most store brand jeans, I just buy Long Tall Sally 36", all others come halfway up my legs! None of the other shops have standard lengths that are long enough. The sizing is weird though, they stretch a lot, and I am now buying size 10s and I am no way a size 10 in anything else. I've just ordered on their site (25% more off sale items) one straight black pair, one washed bootcut and one straight "dark lavender" pair, that'll see me through to 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do come up huge don't they. And yes, I know exactly what you mean about too much stretch - that was my prob with the NYDJ. They just stretch like leggings and I want more structure to mine. But it's fab that you've found ones that you love - they really are the staple to my wardrobe for sure. xx

      Delete
  2. Another cracking' 'tell it like it is post'. Useful and real. We're all so different so I suppose it's just a case of try loads on and hope for the best. I was trying the gap skinny minnies the other day (not jeans as such but still a similar changing room experience!) attempt no.3 fitted (size 2???) but they had funny little folds behind the knees so I gave those a miss. For quality and price It's boden every time for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the Boden ones truly are FAB aren't they. Gap Real Straight old style were great for me but the new style isn't so good. SKinnies though? Terrible for me from Gap. WAY too low cut. Thank god there are some out there that suit me though! And yes, you've hit the nail on the head with having to try loads on and us all being different. And us all wanting different things! x

      Delete
    2. Yup, the Boden ones truly are FAB aren't they. Gap Real Straight old style were great for me but the new style isn't so good. SKinnies though? Terrible for me from Gap. WAY too low cut. Thank god there are some out there that suit me though! And yes, you've hit the nail on the head with having to try loads on and us all being different. And us all wanting different things! x

      Delete
  3. Great jeans post... I've never seen Boden here in Ireland, must have a look online. Your evening outfit is gorgeous, love the Zara silk top. River Island 'Amelie' jeans are pretty good... nice & high waisted & good colours. Audrey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Boden deliver to Ireland? Haven't tried River Island for years - I'll try them this week. Thank you xx

      Delete
  4. Why is jeans sizing so random? There must be a reason for it. It's like the manufacturers want to put us through the mill for the privilege of buying a pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who on earth knows? It's the same with all sizing though isn't it and it even varies so much within one store! x

      Delete
  5. Oh lol Kat - loved this post...that pic of the jeans around your thighs is priceless...we've all been there! Surprised at how good the Boden ones look - I've never bought their skinnies. Loving My Maison Scotch at the moment and one pair of Gap perfectly skinny jeans I got at the outlets...it's really a case of trying on as many as possible to find the right ones, isn't it? Hope you're well lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boden ones are really really really good. Actually a friend the other day was saying she had some Maison Scotch ones and loved them. Yes, it really is a case of suck them and see - everyone is such a different shape and also wants such a different fit. I'm really good thank you darling xxx

      Delete
  6. Are your Boden long length? From another 5'10" lady!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, mine are the long ones. They're perfectly fine for skinnies as you can see. Hope that helps! xx

      Delete
  7. I love Levis for straight jeans - bought some in the slight curve option (no bum!) and they were a perfect fit. For skinnies I like Zara and Warehouse - their Superfit skinny jeans are a great fit, and don't go baggy after you've worn them for an hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zara now are so short though. GAH. They used to be lovely and long but alas no more. Haven't tried Warehouse ones, I'll have a look at them. Thank you x

      Delete
  8. God bless you for the muffin top pics! The time I've spent staring disgustedly at my reflection in changing room mirrors.at something that is perfectly normal. I feel a bit better now. Thank you. PS I got a fabulous pair of "mid rise skinny" jeans from Zara this year. So flattering and the perfect rise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the look of the Levi's Kat, I haven't owned a pair of Levi's for about 20 years. What length were they and what length do you take in jeans? I'm 6ft, I reckon I would need a 34 length, used to be 36 in the days of boot cuts but I like skinny jeans a bit shorter for showing off ankles in sandals or ticking into ankle boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the TS jeans which are a 36 inch leg to wear with heels, but these are only a 32 inch leg and I reckon are totally fine. x

      Delete
  10. Your photos are brilliant!! I think you've got the perfect pair;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more than happy with the Boden ones, that's for sure! x

      Delete
  11. That photo of the jeans mid thigh if pretty much how I look when trying on jeans, this due to having the dubious proportions of a tiny waist, of limited height and thighs that bear an uncannily similarity to Wayne Rooney's :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no that must be so so so hard. I wonder if there are any proper hourglass figure jeans around. Have you tried the NYDJ as they do have a lot of stretch.

      Delete
  12. I really like both your Zara blouses, I don't venture in often enough to spot such gems. I hate jeans & jeans shopping but always toyed with the boden ones seeing as I buy so much other stuff from them. Maybe once this baby is out I'll treat myself as yours look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're fab aren't they? Total impulse purchases both of them - one from last year and one from last month (another thing I forgot I bought - god I'm CRAP - I MUST add them all up.....) I love a good blouse - I think I'll do another blog on them as they are so so perfect for this time of year. Can't recommend the Boden jeans highly enough xxx

      Delete
  13. Your changing room shots are pure classics. I reckon you should feature at least once a week, they make me howl. Bloody jeans shopping, soooo not enjoyable xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no you're alright thanks. xx was depressing enough doing it once! Should do a dress one actually. That's even more depressing than buying jeans if that is at all possible. x

      Delete
  14. Love this post, as I have myself just been through this!...My fav jeans have always been Boden skinny however I have a new jeans Love...the new ones in AllSaints (Mast style) they are lovely fit really well and nice soft denim.Give them a try I would be interested to have your opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I've ever tried All Saints jeans on was when they were SO so so short and so low waisted! I should give them another go xx

      Delete
  15. Do the Boden skinnes come up big or small? I am slim size 8-10 (with muffin too!) but not sure whether to go for the 8 or 10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say they're the perfect size actually. I think you're probably best to try both and see which one you prefer. There's not too much stretch to them - they do stay the same shape all day x

      Delete
  16. hahaaa I loved this post-the changing room pics are a classic-think we must have ALL been there and dread going back!
    I bought these jeans from Next last year-love/love/love them, they fit perfectly and have just the right amount of stretch-no baggy at the knee or arse moments. Bargains too http://www.next.co.uk/x53174s9#892983x53

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And definitely NO muffins

      Delete
    2. That's interesting as I've always found Next jeans stretch ridiculously (ditto Gap, New Look and Dorothy Perkins....) Maybe I should give them another look as I've always found them a good fit (at the beginning of the day - they just grow as you wear them!)

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. I haven't made you sick, have I?! xx

      Delete
    2. She hasnt said no! Haha! Seriously, there best to wear with the tops of your knick knacks showing... they l♡ve that!! Do you dothat??
      Kim x

      Delete
  18. I'm sooooo happy it's not just me & my fat thighs that suffer from the dreaded jeans struggle!! I've now found favourites in Next, I'm away to buy another couple of pairs next week just in case they discontinue them! X

    ReplyDelete
  19. I havent found a pair of jeans that fitted me since the 80"s when I liked DExys midnight runners and had a waisted pair. I am small waist and big hips and risiculously short legs size 12 - may try BOden, I feel a new purpose coming on after this post! LOve your posts, always so honest and also well researched - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hard, for sure. I love the Boden ones, I really do. And thank you for your lovely comments xx

      Delete
  20. Yup, Baxters are fantastic although aren't really skinny - they're definitely a slim leg. But they've stopped doing them! Was only talking about it the other day with a friend - too random. Haven't tried River Island but yes, I"ve heard amazing things about them. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi loooove your blog btw...now down to business...would you say if im a 27/32 in gap jeans that i should order the same in the levis high rise?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Design. Loved these looks. Keep updating.
    Slim Fit brown jeans

    ReplyDelete