Rainbow Looms for grown ups

Now I appreciate that I am so late to the party on these, that the chance of them still being in fashion by the time I've posted this is, perhaps slim. 

However with Brazil being foremost in our minds at the moment (well, unless you're English. Err....), maybe I might not be so off the mark.  

And anyway, sometimes, don't you find it takes something to be around a while before you think - yes actually I like that.  In fact, I love that.  Nope, I need that. 

I'm talking Hipanema bracelets.  Not in fact Rainbow Loom bracelets (unless you have a girl of between 8 and 12 you will have a) no idea what these are and b) a vacuum that still works as you haven't hoovered 250 of the buggers up - believe me, they only slightly rank below Hama beads on levels of downright irritating.  They are little rubber bands that come in packs of 500 - yes, 500, that you fashion into a colourful friendship bracelet)

But back to Hipanemas.  Two of my very good friends have worn these for a year or so and I will admit I didn't love them.  But yet again, I am prepared to chomp humble pie for breakfast, lunch and supper and come clean and say the worm has turned and I now need one.  

I'm putting it down to either excessive alcohol. the sunshine or this talk of all things holiday.  These are perfect for adding colour to neutral outfits.  Ideal if you're not into full on colour but feel the need for a sniff of summer.

Still no idea what I'm talking about?  Here we peeps.  Honestly, I totally get it if you think - err hello, no.  That was me.  But I'm a convert.  I promise you, if you stare at them enough, they grow on you (and yes, The Husband at this point would add - "like mould?". He's a funny man.)

He did also say when I showed him the pics (after "HOW MUCH?!") that he could see these were the equivalent of "smelly rubbers" (the eraser kind I'm assuming he meant) for grown ups.  So many to choose from, different colours, different styles, different adornments.  

Hipanema Bracelet in Fluro Pink from Hush at £49 - this is one of the medium widths from what I can work out (I am not an expert at these it has to be said) 




Obviously I would prefer the more expensive wide one. 

Hipanema Sunset Bracelet £69



Even John Lewis are getting in the on the action.  Love the colours of this one - and actually that's really what it's all about and where the fun is (and yes, #middleclassproblems 101 - which colour Hipanema bracelet do I get?) 

Hipanema Love Multi-layer friendship bracelet in pink £44



Hipanema Fluro Multi layer tassel shell friendship bracelet £53


Extra wide - in for a penny in for a pound (well, 78 of them to be precise - ouch) 

Hipanema Goa Wide multi layered Gold/pink friendship bracelet £78

Other colours at Aspiga (go forth and drool if you're off on a glamorous beach holiday this year.  Oh. My. Lord.  I would be bankrupt) 

Hippie Hipanema Pink Bracelet £60

Byzance Hipanema Bracelet £80



No these aren't cheap.  However, if your husband has subjected you to copious amounts of football - please do remember that it is on for the next 3 or 4 weeks still I believe and as we don't even have England to support any more, show your love for all things Brazilian with one of these. 

There is of course an alternative.  And one would think that there would be a myriad of these on the High Street but I have trawled the jewellery sections of the usual supsects (poor ASOS is down due to a fire at their distribution centre).  Nada.  Zero.  Zilch. 

So I have resorted to something I don't do often (although for furniture and other goodies - hell yes) and that is Ebay.  I have ZERO knowledge of what these are like and they do not come with a recommendation at all, as I haven't seen them and have no idea who the seller is, but they are an absolute fraction of the cost and do claim to be "in the style of" as opposed to a fake.  (I appreciate this is a fine line..... they do look very very similar..... I'm just going on what the listing says and if ebay have left it up and they do get good reviews, I'm going to assume they're ok?!)  These are all from the same seller.

Rondonia Brazilian Style Hipanema Wrap Bracelet £17.80 



 Blue Ocean Brazilian Style Hipanema bracelet £13.99


Itajai Brazilian Style bracelet £17.99

Piaui Brazlian style bracelet £15.99



The only other similar option that I did find was a stacking set of bracelets at New Look.  A different concept as it's not one bracelet but it would give the same sort of look.  I will admit I think I prefer these colours.

Blue and Silver Woven stretch bracelets £6.99 


So here we are with my outfits from the last couple of days. 

This was Thursday. 

Untitled

White linen tee - Max Studio
Grey Cargo pants - Hush
Quilted biker jacket - Zara
White leather sliders - River Island
Tan bag - Prada 

And Friday for my day of paint facing with the children at school.  A WHOLE day!  It was a great experience but all I will say is I have a new found respect for teachers.  

Untitled 
Grey, black print silk blouse - Isabel Marant at H&M
Jeans turned up - Rock & Republic
White leather sliders - River Island
Secret Garden necklace - Stella & Dot
Black Diego bag - Alexander Wang

And Saturday for a day out at Squerreys Celebration - a fantastic food and drink festival in Westerham, Kent.  Super day out with the family. 

image 

Wine and bone breton top - Massimo Dutti
Tan leather skirt - Zara
Cheetah print ponyskin skater shoes - Next 
Tan bag - Prada

And possibly one of my favourite outfits ever.  On Friday night I was due to go to the BritMums Awards in London early evening.  However I unfortunately had a babysitting related disaster and she couldn't come till 8pm.  So plans were shelved (I didn't win anyway - SOB but thank you thank you thank you for anyone who did vote for me) and we went out to dinner with friends instead.  

So this is the new dress that I bought from the My Wardrobe sale that actually cost less than a Whistles dress.  Overjoyed with it, especially the perfect match with the shoes. 

image

Snakeskin and floral print silk dress - Sportmax Code
Snakeskin, tan, neon and black sandals - Zara
Tan De Manta clutch - Alexander McQueen

So the sale have started with a vengeance and I'm actually now getting emails about new season stuff.  Plans for blogs this week are another High Street surprise (any guesses??!), shorts and evening shoes.  Plus my tips for canny sales purchases that can be kept for your new A/W wardrobe. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine! 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

22 comentarios:

  1. That is probably one of the nicest outfits I've ever seen on you. Quite simply stunning! As for the bracelets? Err, that would be a very definite NO! My teenage daughter would be beyond horrified if I were to wear something that might in anyway look like it should belong to her. As cute and as colourful as they are, they won't be adorning my arm ( (And seriously?? How much????)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha ha! I did say they weren't for everyone...!

      Delete
  2. You look fantastic in that dress xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new dress. HIP14 gets you 20% off Hush summer jewellery until midnight tonight . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I have been looking at these bracelets on Hush for the longest time trying to work out why they are so expensive! I am definitely going to invest in an eBay version ASAP - thank you for finding them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the originals are all handmade and do take 30 hrs each so that's why (I did find this out after I'd blogged - oops - vital info missing there....) Hope you like the one you got. x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next and Claire's also have a very budget version of the bracelet - not too shabby! I like that you wrote 'paint facing' - is that a new thing?? ;) Hehhe - love the dress also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my god I'm still traumatised after it! Yes obviously I meant face painting!! Thank you x

      Delete
  7. I love Hipanema bracelets and got one for my birthday last year. Love that last outfit ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am late to the party as always! Thank you x

      Delete
  8. Love, love, love the dress! And you look divine in the breton and leather skirt.

    Primark are selling a version of those bracelets in different colourways-£2.50

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I am SO going to have to get myself to a Primark then! x

      Delete
  9. Get behind me Kat I freakin love these! The wide pink & gold (most expensive!) one has my name all over it... you look beautiful in your dress & shoes, perfect outfit.
    Nic x
    StrawberryBlondeBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the widest ones - I do think if or a penny, in for a pound.

      And thanks love - have to say I do love that dress. x

      Delete
  10. I love these too! found some on Asos for a bit cheaper and just had to order… you are definitely bad for me! My John Lewis order arrived today… loved all three blouses - particularly the 'leopardy' Fenn Wright Manson one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh boooo I'll have to wait till poor ASOS sort their fire stuff out. And yay for the blouses! They'll be perfect for into the A/W as well x

      Delete
  11. ooh there are some great bargains there aren't there - thanks for that! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look stunning in your new frock Kat & what an amazing match those shoes are! I love the leather skirt on you too! So cute with the breton! You got my vote & will again next year! :) Ax

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your outfit is great. I'm looking at the same dress but unsure about sizes. I'm a 10/12 and the 12 is gone, only 10 and 14 left. Is it big or small fitting or true to size and if so not to be for me? Thanks

    ReplyDelete