Is there such a thing as..

... the perfect capsule wardrobe? 

So I got an email today from Selfridges with their top ten Capsule Wardrobe favourites for the year ahead.  Complete with their selection of what's top from the new season collections. 

Well, it would be rude not to see if we agreed... And of course, are there any tips we can steal?

  1. The Work Uniform. This appears to be a white shirt and black trousers... for me, the jury is out on this one.  Every day?  Apparently so...
  2. The Multi Tasking coat.  This is a glorious one for me. Although I appear to prefer to have multi tasking coats, plural.  They actually say a reversible double faced coat which is pretty much identical to the Whistles grey one I have so feeling rather smug.
  3. The Power Heels.  Hmm this is perhaps quite a work related capsule wardrobe necessity.  Having said that, I do think that a good pair of heels can work wonders in transforming a day outfit into the perfect night time ensemble.  I'll be back with this.
  4. THAT dress.  And hold that thought.... (that's their font by the way, not me embellishing).
  5. The Go-to Cashmere Jumper.  Can you ever have too much cashmere?  I'll be looking at some Spring options shortly. 
  6. The Two-for-one Bag.  Well, clearly if you are a regular Selfridges shopper, this is the new Chloe Faye.  But for the rest of us, it might be something a bit less investment. One for another day for sure (this is a shoulder bag that you can remove the strap from and it becomes the perfect evening clutch).
  7. The Not-just-a-white Shirt.  They have a very ruffly one.  I think I might prefer my options from the other week.... But we can clearly look at other variations.. (the one they have however, does cement my fear of looking looking like Meatloaf in a white shirt and black trousers.  See what you think?).
  8. The Ultimate Leather Jacket.  Now here they win.  Whether you want to invest or whether you want a more budget friendly version, this is one for another day, for sure. 
  9. The Slip-on Mules.  Apparently this is thanks to Gucci A/W15.  I'm just going to throw it in there, that I bought a pair last Summer from Anthropologie and wore them to death.  Just saying...
  10. The Forever Jeans.  Yes, well.  How long's a piece of string?  We will tackle this shortly. 
But today, let's swing back to point 4.  Yes, it's THAT dress. 

Well clearly great minds think alike as I have recently been on a THAT dress mission. 

What do I mean by THAT dress?  Each year, I try and find one dress that I can turn to for a variety of occasions.  The perfect dress would be one that you wear for everything.  Ok so I will draw the line at black tie but for a lunch out, for dinner, for a special occasion and hell, if I could then wear it with flats the following year for total dress down, then we have a winner. 

Do you have to spend a lot of money on these?  Well.  Historically I haven't gone top top end and over the years, I've had a mix of budgets. 

I have had DVF, Sandro and Whistles and last year, it was the Self Portrait one which became my go to dress (although I won't be wearing with flats for the school run, alas).  I then got the black and china blue midi dresses from & Other Stories which were my surprise hit of the season.  And I am aiming to wear them again and again this Summer. 

But there has to be room for another one and even if not for me, I know other people are looking for one.  So let the research begin.  

And today, we have LK Bennett and Warehouse with pics from me trying them on last week. 

So as I mentioned on the skirt blog from last week, we had ventured into LK Bennett as this dress had caught our eye and very Roksanda we had thought it was.  I had had it in my mind that a midi dress was what I needed.

LK Bennett Amina Printed Tea Dress £350



It's a gorgeous dress and actually I'm not sure whey I didn't try it on now.  I think I might give it a go although I had been looking for something initially with sleeves. 

And this dress, that I personally wouldn't have looked twice at, I'll be completely honest, my best friend threw it into the changing room for me to try.  "It's like those Stella McCartney, Gucci ones you like... would be fab with your tan really high peep toe shoe boots" (which, coincidentally are also from LK Bennett and have served me so so so well for the past three four years). 

So it was under duress that I tried this on. 

Addison Printed Silk Dress from LK Bennett £325




And I have to say, I was quite shocked at how much I liked it.  It definitely needs edging up with some super cool shoes but the more I think about it, the more I absolutely adore it.  I love the fact it's so unlike the majority of what else is out there, I love the fit (although the 12 is slightly large and they didn't have the 10 which I fear may be rather constricting on my ribs) and I love the idea of really cool shoes with it. 

Untitled

It was then on to Warehouse where I had wanted to try the midi dress (which actually is the ONLY other midi dress on the high street that I could find the other day.  Dear every retailer out there.  On the knee is not midi.  It's knee length.  Midi is the length between knee length and maxi.  You're welcome).

This is actually midi if you size up.  I tried it on as it was only one of the three in the shop.  On the upside, I did learn that I really need a midi dress to be waisted...
Stripe Shirt Dress £55 from Warehouse



Otherwise this happens.  It looked like an oversized tabard with sleeves.  It did have lovely long arms though.

Untitled



But I had much more success with the other two they had instore.  This is the one that I had had on the blog the other week.

Pretty Floral Midi Dress £58





Again, if I was pushed, this could work with great shoes.  I can't say I LOVED it, but the fabric is definitely an improvement on Warehouse dresses in years gone by. 


Untitled

But this one, I have to say I really liked. 

Silk Botanical Dress from Warehouse £125



Do I like it as much as the LK Bennett one? Obviously not.  It's also not the cheapest but for a 100% silk dress that again is so unlike anything else out there, I really really rate it.

Again, shoes of the fashion variety are needed to take away the whiff of WI.  I can't quite work out whether or not it's supposed to be waisted or slightly empire line..  Can't even tell from the model above.  I'm not particularly long in the body either.

Untitled

Seeing as there was bog all else to try on and there were two gorgeous print dresses that caught my eye, I thought I'd give them a whirl.  Even though I expected them to be verging on indecent in length (Warehouse and Mango for the last couple of years have not been the most generous in their allocation of fabric for their summer dresses.  Skimpy doesn't come close...) 

But, the length of these was a lot better.   Not long enough for me to feel comfortable in bare legs (especially not in January for gawd's sake) but with a pair of opaques, this would certainly work. 

Persian Placed Dress from Warehouse £49



Again this is much better quality fabric than in years gone by.  Passed the crease test.

Untitled

And finishing with my snaps with a shirt that I thought was a dress... So it's therefore slightly unfair that I was thinking it's too short, seeing as it's not supposed to be a frock anyway.  Having said that, it wasn't *that* short at all and I'm 5ft10.  It was marginally short and to be honest, were I too get my knees in shape and get jiggy with the fake tan, I would probably wear it as a dress.  Plus this is only a size 10.  Were you slightly shorter, I would definitely say wear this as a dress.  The one above is definitely shorter.

Placed Persian Longline Shirt £55





Untitled

And finishing with the one I had really wanted to try but they didn't have in stock.  This looks a great length and with some of those killer sandals from the other day, this would be the perfect Spring dress.  It would work easily now in the evening with opaques and ankle boots and just as well with strappy flat sandals or slides in the Summer.  One to go back and hunt out I think. 

Sailor Bib Dress from Warehouse £55



So there we have my selection and personally, I still think my favourite is the LK Bennett one.  I think with the right shoes it will be amazing but maybe the Warehouse long silk one will be just as good for almost a third of the price?  I think the shoes make all the difference here...  What do we think?

I'm now on a dress roll - the best of what is New In elsewhere coming later in the week.  

Tomorrow I'll be back with another item on the Capsule Wardrobe.  Shoes or jeans, shoes or jeans, shoes or jeans.....

Outfit from today.  I cheated - majority of outfit for dog walk this morning with wellies and then just came back and changed my boots (and handbag!) as I was at a friends for lunch and then a meeting this afternoon.  (am currently help organising a charity ball for March which is taking up a fair bit of my time...) 

Untitled

Striped longline top - Joules 
Navy Cashmere Off Duty Jumper - Boden
Black oversized scarf - Mint Velvet
Navy scarf - Zara
Black coated skinny jeans - New Look 
Grey hat - Black
Grey Wristwarmers - Black
Buckle Boots - Toga Pulla 
Black quilted bag - Zara

We are now tucking into another Madeleine Shaw recipe - seeing as my exercise regime is yet to kickstart itself, I'm weaning myself in gently with some clean eating.  If pizza, crisps and Matchmakers count as clean eating, I was killing it yesterday.  But what else are Mondays for, if not a fresh start?

Share this:

CONVERSATION

30 comentarios:

  1. Your little diet slip up remind me of mine, I just cant stop eating ..... I think when I say I am on a diet, my mind plays tricks and says open the kids sweetie jar .... go on. Anyway my diet or shall I say healthy eating will attempt to start agin tomorrow and hopefully not fail by 10.30am as it did today. Anyway, the main reason I am commenting is to say the LK Bennett dress all the way (looks fabulous on you) and with cool shoes for sure like you say, which you have many, Burberry, Reiss and Zara .... I think from memory! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent memory! I have more than a couple of pairs which would look amazing for sure. I have to say I love it... Might have to wait for a discount code!

      How's the diet going? So far, I'm doing ok although have overdosed on coffee but went to the supermarket and have a stash of yummy healthy things for dinner (which need a lot of preparing which is a bit of a bummer!)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that LKB Addison dress is beautiful on you! Still laughing at your expression wearing that Warehouse dress. I'm very intrigued by the sailor bib dress from Warehouse, looks versatile and an easy piece to throw on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't that bib dress look great? Really worth hunting out, I'd say. Surely there has to be a Warehouse code soon?!

      Delete
    2. If you have a teenage child and they are signed up to Unidays - there's 20% off at Warehouse. https://www.myunidays.com/

      Delete
    3. DRAT! I can't wait till mine are older!!

      Delete
    4. I'll ask daughter when she's home later what the minimum age is. She's had it for a couple of years now and she's only 16 now - it's a great site, they do loads of discounts.

      Delete
    5. As long as your child has a school email address, they can apply to Unidays. Think this is probably from about 11 - not sure primary schools give email addresses.

      Delete
    6. Oh my days. WHOOOP. This is hopefully from September (well no, she'll definitely be at senior school from September, she's got bugger all choice about that, but hopefully she'll have an email address!). I shall be hanging out for it.. (does it also cover Topshop etc.. off to have a look!) Actually I should see if my niece has one.. if not my sister in law is either going to love or hate me! Thank you so so much.

      Delete
  3. I actually kind of like the Warehouse Pretty floral midi dress on you. It's cute - now I don't know if that's the look you're going for but it looks really good... Otherwise, the Addison silk dress is of course a clear winner, although not in the same price category. I love wearing dresses in the winter! So playful and feminine. The issue is not so much which one to choose usually but how to style it: which tights to wear with it (opaque or sheer, patterned or plains), how not to freeze in it (turtle neck underneath or cardigan on top), which boots to choose... That's when creativity comes in I guess and endless combinations to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you've hit the nail on the head - I'm not sure if it's the look I'm going for.. but then I do think the LK Bennett dress can be a smidge mumsy.. Shoes will be the main thing that makes the difference. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't £325!!!

      I also don't really wear them during the day - although I should. I just should!

      Delete
  4. Saw the bluey green whistles dress on Instagram, it is beautiful, def a winner xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LK Bennett one? I so wish it was from Warehouse!!

      Delete
  5. Love the dresses.. going to check out the Warehouse 'pretty floral midi dress' at lunchtime today! The others are gorgeous too, esp LK Bennett. Did the Madeline Shaw lamb shanks & chickpeas 4 hour dish at the weekend and it was delicious for like, zero effort. Happy Tuesday! Audrey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it. Ooooh that's on my list of things to do - lamb shanks are one of my favourite things ever so I can't wait to do that. What did you serve it with? I'm not sure I can eat any more cauliflower rice... Last night (with leftovers today for lunch although not nearly enough..) I did the Squash and green bean red curry with cauliflower rice. I've done it loads - it's delish (although a bit of effort...)

      We've also done the Miso shoulder of lamb which is DIVINE

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm kinda over cauli rice at the mo as well, it ruined a lovely stirfry on me last week.. need a break from it! I served the lamb shanks with sweet potato mash and LOADS of fresh coriander through the mash.. divine. It could easily take a bag of spinach stirred through the chickpeas once you take the shanks out.. i'll do that next time. 8:58am and already thinking of food!!! Have a great day, Audrey :-)

      Delete
    3. AHA I'm loving the spinach idea, you star! And hell yes, I've been planning dinner since I woke up! (Ottolenghi date, spinach and sumac salad with lamb steaks...) Tomorrow night, it's Deliciously Ella.. There are a couple of recipes in there which are amazing. (there a lot which are utterly pants!) I could talk about food *almost* as much as I could talk about shoes..!

      Delete
  6. That face! Haha. I love the Persian one from Warehouse on you. I mean, I love the other ones too but I just can't get my head around midis. Maybe I'm not tall enough? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is the problem I have with short ones. I'm just too tall!! I think midis can definitely work on shorter people - it's just making sure it's the right proportions an you wear the right shoes! But then, you can just swerve them completely. There are loads of other great dresses out there and we can't wear all of them. x

      Delete
    2. Very true - although having just seen the hush coated midi skirt I think I could be persuaded - it doesn't seem quite as long xx

      Delete
    3. I shall be having words with them as that definitely isn't long enough for me! Ha ha ha! That is indeed the perfect length for the not giant sized. Perfection x

      Delete
  7. Love, love, love the Persian dress on you. I'm actually rather fond of midi length because I hate my fat knees, heh heh!
    I really love the new blog design btw, I meant to say days ago! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God I HATE my knees. seriously they're like two Les Dawson faces stuck onto normal knees... And thank you love xxxx

      Delete
  8. Wow! The Addison dress looks superb on you!! You look elegant, refined and sophisticated - really lady-like. I'd never have thought it would look so stunning on and certainly would never have stopped to look at it. Your friend has a great 'eye' obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (are you my friend by the way...??!) She does indeed have a great eye and super taste (being my best friend....!!)

      Delete
  9. The Addison is a stunner on you. It is also out of stock online ( quietly sobs). I have a smart dinner to go to and a DKNY dress hanging in the wardrobe I really should wear .....but the Addison did look divine. I am having a massive Shoe or Boot or ShoeBoot dilemma with everything at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hell I hate it when you have something that you "should" wear but really would rather not... Is there another occasion you can justify it for? And yes.. Shoe, boot or shoeboot I am SO with you that.

      Delete
  10. Wow, the Addison is just fab on you. You could wear it with strappy sandles or peep-toe mules. Fab.

    I spied the Warehouse Persian dress in a shop before Christmas and hounded it until I found it in my size. It is lovely, definitely need opaques and boots (and I am 5'7") as it is way too short for this 46-year-old otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know... I'm thinking though about the Warehouse one though at a fraction of the price! The Persian dress is gorgeous. And hell yes, opaques if you're vaguely tall! (and 5ft7 is tall!) But then come the summer, warmish day, tanned legs, flats... you can do it....!!

      Delete