Back to Black and SHORT!!

This blog post contains affiliate/ad links


It may be the height of Summer but that doesn't mean I am still not obsessed with black.  In fact, it's one of my favourite Summer colours.  It's a classic, it's easy to wear, it's timeless and it makes the perfect building blocks for a wardrobe.

It also - now I am aware that I'm going to sound like a numpty here so bear with me caller - makes me feel the best version of me that I can.  I feel confident, I feel elegant, I feel like I've got it sussed.  All smoke and mirrors of course, but who cares.  When I need to feel on my game, it's always black that I turn to. 

It's also the perfect blank canvas.  This is where you can have fun with accessories - the bolder the better.  Let your jewellery, your shoes, your bag, your hat do the talking.  I also find - as weird as this sounds (but i'm on a roll today so am just going with it) that you can wear black more often than a bolder colour.  A bright print, an in your face shade of anything is much more memorable than black.  It's the chameleon of your wardrobe - it also goes with everything.  You can wear any colour with it - forget the days of not wearing black with a primary colour (hands up who else was scarred by Trinny and Susanna saying that?).  It's simply not true any more. 

You can EVEN wear it with navy.  My tip for that would be to not just wear all black and one navy thing - I would mix a couple of each into an outfit otherwise there is always the risk that the one navy thing you threw on may give a hint of "I got dressed in the dark and didn't realise this wasn't black".  It also works better if it's a bluer navy than a very dark navy.  Just to give it a bit of definition. 

My fave combo this years is - all about the bees and wasps - YES, it's yellow.  Controversial perhaps but I do genuinely think it works. 

The other obvious choice is white.  Or cream.  Elegance and style personified.  

So without further ado, let's see what dresses we have on offer for the Summer and to take us beyond.

And - drum roll - today I'm doing short dresses.  

Well shorter.  To me, this is short.  It's not mini mini obviously but it's not what I would now call midi.  Knee length makes it sounds not altogether flattering but I think we have to dispel that myth as weirdly this length is more flattering on me than a below the knee full midi! 

I LOVE this length - it's perfect for just hiding those knees you might not want to get out.   And we're also firmly back into the "wear into Autumn" category.  A bit (in my case with legs that you can see from space - a lot) of fake tan and a pair of studded ankle boots - ideal for those slightly cooler months that are on the horizon.

And another midi style which I'm definitely going to order.  I first saw this at a Hobbs Press Day when back when the world was normal (ie Feb) and absolutely fell in love with it.  If you've followed me for any length of time, you'll know that I'm not a wearer of short dresses.  BUT ones that hover on the knee, like this and the one above - randomly work for me.  Ideal with trainers, backless loafers, chunky sandals or ankle boots.  Personally I would shy away from anything super delicate as the weight of the dress on top needs to be balanced with something more substantial at the other end (ie on your feet!). 

The Natasha Dress from Hobbs £159. By the way - IT HAS POCKETS! It's a good quality drapey crepe fabric so you won't want to wear it on a super hot day but for the majority of our Summer and certainly into Autumn, it's absolutely fine.

Then there are some shorter ones.  These would work with ankle boots on cooler days. 

Another with some great shoulder detail. 


A wearable classic from Whistles at John Lewis. 



LOVE this one from Warehouse at John Lewis. 




This one is stunning and a bargain from RIver Island. 

Similar waisted style but this time sleeveless in the sale from hush at John Lewis. 



Another one from River Island and this is very very reminiscent of a Rhode design (a very expensive brand they sell at Matches) - balloon sleeved, v neck, nipped in waist with a tie belt and a full mini skirt.   I think this looks a lot more expensive than the price tag belies.







Black Pintuck chuck on frill mini dress from Topshop was £39 now £20

They also have the same one at ASOS from Topshop in more sizes although alas it's not as cheap..

And some short sleeved summer ones that will truly last the test of time. 



 here I am in a black dress that's four years ago from hush.  A classic jersey dress that works on a beach as well on scorchio days here at home.  The sorts of dresses it's worth investing in.  That you will have for years.  It's obviously not a short dress, but i'm working on it.. it's shorter than what I usually wear! 

Tomorrow - it's the turn of the longer dresses.....And I will be back shortly with sandals.  The uglier the better - the proper man repellers of our time.  Guaranteed to make the men in your life grimace.  But boy are they comfy.... 

Oh and the perfect black trousers.  What's not to love?

Share this:

CONVERSATION

8 comentarios:

  1. These black dresses all are so wonderful and I love them so much, I want to add one to wardrobe right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is Good! I promised God that I would share my testimony on this website. I had all the signs of STD Virus but I was not too sure as to which one. I did a lot of online research and I WAS scared myself for a whole week before going to see the nurse. She took one look at my genital part and first said that it could just be the anatomy of my body, then she said it looked like genital warts and that I MAY have herpes. I was devastated. She gave me some medicine for the herpes and some cream for the warts. I was also tested for every single STD including herpes. I went home and cried searching the web for all sorts of cures for herpes and awaiting my results. I saw a post whereby Dr. Razor cured Herpes and other diseases, I copied his contacts out and added him on WhatsApp via +2349065420442. The next day my test result was ready and I confirmed Herpes positive. I told Dr. Razor about my health problems and he assured me of a cure. He prepared his herbal medicine and sent it to me. I took it for 18 days . Before the completion of the 18 days in which I completed the dose, the Blisters and Warts that were on my body were cleared. I went back for a check-up and I was told I'm free from the virus. Dr. Razor cures all types of diseases and viruses with the help of his herbal medicine. You can reach Dr. Razor via his email address on (drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com) WhatsApp +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is very helpful and information is reliable. I am satisfied with your post. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post.
    Stay Close Cush Jumbo Green Coat




    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re so gifted on paper. God is really utilizing you in great ways. You are carrying out a superb work! It was an excellent blog!
    Kim Bodnia Double Breasted Coat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Special thanks to HACK VANISH, a professional hacker I’ve been hiring for the past 2 years because, I find him to be an outstanding hacker who has aided me in various hacking related issues, ranging from fixing my poor FICO credit score of about 437 TransUnion, 462 Equifax to 802 plus excellent score, tracking my cheating husband’s phone and currently has helped me recover my lost crypto funds from an online scam investment I recently ventured into, I must confess he is the best, quite brilliant, ever since I discovered him through a positive review I saw on Wallet Hub and reached out to him via Email: HACKVANISH @ GMAIL. COM, and Phone: +1(747) 293-8514, to which he responded in less than 10mins, I have never regretted working with him, he’s been quite helpful and highly efficient. I Would recommend his services to anyone without hesitation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was suffering from Herpes for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. If you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine,He also have herbs medicine to cure the following diseases;Contact. Robinson.buckler ((@)) yahoo. com____________
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST
    HERPES.
    SYPHILIS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most sites add the images to make sharing the content more social media friendly but any of the other platforms should be good fo서울출장샵r writing.

    ReplyDelete