So every season I have something I can't get enough of...

... actually I should possibly rephrase that to say at any one point in a season I have something I can't get enough of.

Long cardigans.  Plain.  The obligatory throw on in this weather.  Ok so this is until tomorrow as then it's supposed to pour down with rain.  However for those days when it isn't lashing down and just a crisp, cool Autumnal day, these are ideal.  Layer underneath, throw on a huge scarf, sneakers for now or chunky biker boots when it gets cooler and you're off.  

I could honestly buy one of these in every colour.  They work with either a tee or a sweatshirt or a shirt and jumper layered together.  So so versatile. 

And plain means that they are even more versatile.   Mix it up with a print scarf or print jumper and a whole host of other colours.  Plus they're not stand out on their own which means you will get more wear out of it - the chameleon item in your wardrobe as opposed to a speak for itself cardi which you won't want to wear all the time (don't get me wrong - I still think there is room for one of those too......) 

Starting with my favourite of the lot - a classic black one from Mango.  The trick with these is to balance price with quality of fabric.  I did go to Primark the other day in the search of a cardi which I'd seen a couple of people on Insta wearing - I couldn't find it actually, but I did find a whole host of others.  Though frankly I was concerned at them self combusting when I walked.  The long waistcoat I got was one of the only things that didn't set my teeth on edge when I felt it (but do check out the new ranges of kids stationery, the boys clothes, girls toiletries - a plethora of lip balms and nail varnishes which are amazing - and the wrapping paper, all of which are worth a trip on their own.  Yes I have started my Christmas shopping already - you can officially all hate me now).  

This one from Mango, hits the right spot on all counts.  

Pocket Long Cardigan from Mango £39.99



Absolutely love this.  Very plain and very simple but a lovely knit and a lovely cut.  And a great price.  This is the Medium.

Untitled

In pale grey this one was also gorgeous. Again, I'm trying this on in the medium.

Ribbed cardigan with long sleeves from Mango £44.99




Untitled

I then ventured into Forever 21 and couldn't walk past this wool mix one without trying it on.  Again, definitely worth a look - much better in real life than it looks online.

Longline Pocket Cardigan from Forever 21 £28.00




Untitled

They also do this in a black version which I didn't see instore.  The chances of seeing something online and finding it instore at Forever 21 is..well... that trip to the moon is looking more likely.   Totally impossible.  To be frank, the chances of seeing something in there one week and going back for it the next are totally non existent.

Longline Pocket Cardigan £28



Staying with plain, there are also these at Mango which I didn't see online but look great as well.  
Side Pocket Cardigan in heather grey from Mango £39.99 




And in navy 




For A/W though, one of my favourite colours is easily a shade of camel.  So versatile - I love with black, grey, navy, winter white or khaki and easily worn into the Spring as well. 

A complete treat at hush with the Nina Cardi in brown sugar £90



Now I know I said plain - well to my mind, these are still "plain" in that they're not super patterned...... Plus they're not a myriad of colours - we still very much have a neutral agenda  going on here.

Monochrome Cardigan from Mango £39.99 Love this one with a hood.



And now not even monochrome but block colour again, so hardly a print.  I love these two colours together so simply had to include it, especially as it's such a bargain price.

Vila Colour Block Longline Cardigan £20



And who can resist a stripe?

Striped Cardigan from Mango £39.99




But saving the second best till last...

Striped Long Cardigan from Mango £49.99



This, apart from the black Mango one is definitely my favourite and had I not already bought and worn the Zara one, I would definitely have got it.  Not even I can justify both, alas.

Untitled

So there we have my pick of what is out there.  I also did try the navy Whistles one on which I included in this post - 25% off until tomorrow evening, last chance saloon guys.  Are you a fan of the long cardigan?  I appreciate it's not going to be for everyone but at the very least, I love them to fling on over my harems and a sweat for nights on the sofa - and with X Factor and Strictly in full swing, there are lots of those.  Cold, dark nights, red wine and snuggly knits make for the perfect Autumn night in. 

One of those nights chez nous last night - The Husband had gone to the rugby club with his brother in laws to watch the rugby (both of whom were sporting Irish tops - I wonder how long it's going to be before he caves...).  Busy day - I subjected The Husband to Ikea (revenge is sweet) and we came home with desks for the boys.  Which the 8yr old built last night, all by himself.  Lego is so yesterday's toy.... The joy of a hyper logical little boy with ASD means that Ikea flat pack is his dream come true. 

Untitled

Beige thin knit top - Zadig & Voltaire
Grey and beige jersey blazer - Zara
Paint splattered khakis - Zara
Taupe suede Oxford Brogues - Seven Boot Lane
Whiskey Medium Marcie Satchel - Chloe

And here I am in my cardigan purchase for this season.  At rugby today and then a couple of hours on the clubhouse balcony afterwards for what is surely the last sunny day of the season.  Home to finish the desk making (him again, not us), an afternoon of more rugby watching (I'm over it now) and a big family dinner with our not so little 11yr old back in the fold, after her week away. (too excited here - even the 8yr old asked if we could buy her a Welcome Home card... who are you and what have you done with my child?)

Untitled

Grey Jumper - Boden
Black Thea jeans - ASOS 
Boucle cardigan - Zara
Dakota charcoal flatforms - Seven Boot Lane
Black Harker hands free bag - Anya Hindmarch 

So the 11yr old has a day off tomorrow and we were going to go with friends to Chessington but the weather looks abysmal so we've decided on the London Dungeon instead.  To be totally honest with you, I don't know who's more excited - me or the kids...... 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

10 comentarios:

  1. I have the first mango striped cardigan that you shared - it's fabulous - I think it's going to work as my coat purchase here yhis year it's so warm. I also just ordered the Zara cardigan with the embroidery and tassels so ott but that's why I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with long sweaters, can't seem to buy enough of them - even though I only officially wear 3 colours (navy, black and grey). I'm seriously tempted by the Nina cardi (in camel) but not sure I can carry off the colour. Do you know if it's the same colour as the cashmere boyfriend? (They share the same colour name but look like different shades in the photos).

    I just ordered 2 midi slip dresses (from Finery London, can't seem to stop ordering from them!) and I can't wait to pair them with long cardis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marks and Spencer Autograph have a very Acne-alike cardigan at the moment in pale grey for £59. (Obviously the styling on the model in a dress is awful as per) Am hoping for another 20% offer soon, if anyone knows of one, let me know!

    http://www.marksandspencer.com/fluffy-longline-cardigan-with-wool/p/p22393956

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, heaven. You cant go wrong with a long cardi! I have purchased two already, The monochrome Mango you show here and the (shorter version) Acne Raya in mole grey. Now I really need a black one! The grey boucle Zara cardi looks great on you! Looking forward to seeig you in the Acne cape (?) you mentioned earlier.
    Tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these very much - have a navy one from last year from Mango thats almost a coat and a wrap blanket thing from M and S this year that I have worn so much (although taking peoples eyes out with the constant flicking and throwing of it). Edie you are ahead of the game, we'll all be wearing slip dresses next year apparantly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks goodhttp://www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Knitwear/Cardigans/WU024-GRY/Womens-Grey-Longline-Merino-Silk-Cardigan.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I prefer the one you went with from Zara, good choice. I know? How nice was the weather yesterday? Today? Back to drizzly rain. Boo!! Enjoy the tower x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot justify a cardigan .... cannot justify a cardigan (what a silly word that is when you type it !).

    I have two coatigan's (sp) that I bought from Boden last year; one grey and one black that will have to do me if I took any of them to this god forsaken country.

    However, since my husband has left me in Baku and I won't be home until January I may just need something ... little .... (ok, so his work permit was refused so technically he hasn't left me, but it does make it a better story !)

    I do have to tell you tho, since I won't be home I have bought, wrapped and delivered all my Christmas presents - I hope you can see my halo :)

    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  9. For anyone who wants a cheaper camel one than from Hush New look are doing ons for £14.99

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm drawn to both plain and colour blocking this season. I really like the Mango grey and beige combo, and I'm going to have to venture onto Forever 21 website - between that cardigan and the gilet in your gilet post I'm now officially intrigued! :-)

    ReplyDelete