It's a whole new ballgame...

...in the world of skirts. 

How is that even possible?  What on earth is she talking about?  Things that are said about me on a regular basis and yes, I am well known for spouting a lot of flannel but hear me out... there is genuine method in my madness.

A skirt for all those who hate maxis and full midis.  A skirt that only a couple of months ago, at an event, I said I couldn't get my head round and I'd never wear. 

Oh the fickle world of fashion, how I love thee.  Coupled with my supreme ability to eat humble pie like no other (never afraid to say I was wrong and that I've changed my mind), I am now going to wax lyrical about... drum roll... the pencil skirt. 

With a slight twist.  A different sort of fabric, an asymmetric hem, a kick flare - yes, these could all work but personally, I'm not thinking office attire.  I'm thinking tee and trainers for now - an oversized jumper and boots for into the Autumn/Winter. 

These are pictured I pilfered from Pinterest.  Which is fair, seeing as it pilfered a couple of hours of my life earlier.  Is it actually possible to look at Pinterest for less than an hour?  Asking for a friend....








Throwing in a random Summer look.


And back in the room with black.


Fluted hem



Asymmetric hem for Autumn.





Which is where this skirt comes in.  I went to meet the girls from Essentiel Antwerp yesterday and whilst there were a LOT of gorgeous dresses and jumpers on show (I have been buying their jumpers for years), it was THIS that caught my eye.  Something I would never normally try on - but it's been inspiration central and has provided the whole premise for this blog and my new skirt avenue.

It's randomly more pencil than it looks here.  They very kindly gifted it to me - and you know when something works when you put it on straight away.

Pink asymmetric pencil skirt from Essentiel Antwerp £155




Asymmetric hem in a pencil pleat from Gestuz at Coggles £99 (10% off your first order if you register with them)



Pencil Skirt with red and pink sequins from Essentiel Antwerp £110







Print again at Essentiel Antwerp retro bloom skirt £169




Full straight again from DVF at Coggles tailored midi skirt in Asher Vermillion £226



And in the green and black - again DVF at Coggles £226



In animal at M&S.  Personally I'd prefer something non animal on the top - I do think this would look amazing with a more oversized jumper.  I'm going to go and try this week - will keep you posted.

Animal Pencil Skirt from M&S £35




Cobalt with a white stripe at M&S Limited Edition £35



There are faux leather versions...

Faux Leather Skirt in Burgundy £38




Faux Leather Skirt in Black £38



With a kickflare at ASOS. 

ASOS DESIGN pencil skirt with kickflare in polka dot £18



A red version in the Tall. 

ASOS DESIGN Tall polka dot kickflare skirt £18



Or there's a slightly less super straight faux leather version.  Ever so slightly A Line, courtesy of the cross over.

Faux Leather Midi Skirt in burgundy £45



SImilar and I actually prefer this colour - at ASOS. 

ASOS DESIGN Leather look wrap midi skirt £45



Another wrap style that would fit the bill.

River Island Premium Embellished Wrap Pencil Skirt £75



Print Wrap in the sale at Jigsaw and this is a whole ton more versatile that one would first think.  Cream or black pussy bow shirt and heels for smart.  Throw on with an oversized knit and hi tops or ankle boots for dress down chic.  And it would be chic.  It would be seriously chic.  Next Summer with a tee and trainers or sandals (or even for those days when we have a bit more sunshine in the next week or two).

A line at Jigsaw - Daffodil Print Wrap Skirt was £199 now £59 Also there's another 10% off all sale items online.  What's not to love? *spends way too long in the sale section of Jigsaw*....



BUT the bargain of the day for me is this one.  Have ordered - would be rude not to for this price.  Love the colour, love the print, if you told me it was Ganni, I would believe you.  Personally won't be wearing it with this sort of top or shoes but with an oversized knit and ankle boots - that'll be pretty perfect on every level.  Tee, trainers and blazer like I'm sporting below - SUPER easy to recreate and perfect for "now".

True Violet pencil skirt with tiered hem was £50 now £17



And here I am today in the skirt.  Admittedly it's a terrible photo of the skirt BUT it does look a lot better than it does here - I loved wearing it AND it got a thumbs up from 13 yr old, which is high praise indeed.



Skirt - Essentiel Antwerp (gift current)
Tee - FWP by Rae (gift ss18)
Trainers - Golden Goose from Farfetch (sale aw17)
Bag - Liberty's (gift current)
Blazer - Zara (6yrs ago)
Sunglasses - Victoria Beckham from Bicester Village (3yrs ago)

Have I convinced any of you that these skirts can work?  I promise I'll be showcasing how to wear them... actually I'm going to do a show and tell over on Insta stories on Friday - I'll style the above skirt with a couple of jumpers and boots so you can see the difference. 

Tomorrow - I'm back with jackets!  Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday - I can't believe some people haven't been away yet.  We're done with Summer - reserving flights for half term after all the exams have been done!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

10 comentarios:

  1. Yes, pencil skirts are my kind of skirt! I may have been brainwashed by the people who say they're great for an hourglass figure (I tend to agree). I tend to buy to wear dressed up, but they work so well dressed down too. Grey tee and sneakers, or cashmere hoody, boots and leather jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah I bought a silver sequin pencil skirt which I love and WILL be wearing with an oversized jumper as soon as this sunny weather stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I can't wait for the shops to be flooded with sequins!

      Delete
  3. I love a long straight casual skirt with a chunky loose jumper trouble is these days i am usually too hot!..Olivia Palermo always looks amazing her laid back style that probably was hours in the making

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I put on a chunky jumper the other day and went straight back upstairs to change it was nearly passed out with the heat!! I"m going to look for some less chunky but still loose jumpers that do the same job but don't = boil in the bag!

      Delete
  4. A really inspiring blog - thank you! We've noticed that more and more women ask us to design and make skirts that reflect their personality. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh do you design and make skirts? Would love more info if you'd like to email me on doesmybumlook40@gmail.com xxx

      Delete
  5. I have a love hate relationship with pencil skirts. I love the look but it makes me feel restricted and showcases every lump and bump. Skirts are particularly awful on me because of that. I try to find pencil style dresses in less constricting materials so I can wear it with a top on top and it tends to look more flattering in that line rather than a skirt that cuts my figure in half

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius! Have to say I quite like a fitted skirt that's flat fronted - feels a lot more flattering on my not so flat tummy!

      Delete