It just takes one changing room session...

... to make you realise that you NEED a particular item. 

So I haven't really got my festive gig on this season just yet.  I've got one big Christmas Party but for that I'm going to be wearing something that I already have.  But I've got lots of smaller dos so yesterday, in between meetings, I had a quick sojourn to & Other Stories where I completely fell in love with a dress.  A velvet dress. 

Which they only had in an 8 and is now completely sold out.  Everywhere.  Unless someone knows of a 10 lurking somewhere - or a 12...?!  I am literally shoehorned into this.  It's supposed to be super loose. I would lose circulation to my wrists after an hour in this.  And it's dragged over my non existent boobage in a not particularly attractive way.  And I agree there is a slight hint of grown up Nativity to it but I don't care - I love it. 


Velvet Turtleneck Dress from & Other Stories £55


And so I went from really not being that bothered by velvet (apart from my Penelope Chilvers velvet boots which I adore and have been making my outfits the last couple of months) to being velvet dress obsessed.

What is even more irritating is that I've found a ridiculously similar dress at Hobbs in a mulberry shade.  For significantly more money (like ££££ more).  And I prefer the turquoise anyway (although I would happily wear the berry shade..!). 

Purple Mayella Dress from Hobbs £349


Then from the sublime to the faintly ridiculous...  Although.. I reckon if you maybe sized up hugely.

Crushed Velvet Dress from H&M in grey £29.99


Ok who am I kidding?  I've just realised it's got a zip down the front. I fear I would look like a Teletubby in a space suit.  No.  Just no.  (unless someone has tried it and can persuade me otherwise).

Oh my lord, it's basically a onesie with no legs.  Almost tempted to try it for pure comedy value.  It's like Metal Mickey meets Zippy.



Far more wearable now at & Other Stories again.   Not in stock at the mo, so can't order (coming soon) but love the brown, although I fear it won't be long enough for Jolly Green Giant me.

Cut Out Velvet Dress from & Other Stories £79


Not sure this below is worth the difference?

Mulberry Velvet Tiered Paulina Dress by Ulla Johnson from Avenue 32 £500


But this one if it was a SMIDGE longer would be beyond beyond perfect.  Although that's not a pocket you can see.  Dear all manufacturers.  POCKETS.  PLEASE.  

ASOS Trumpet Sleeve Velvet Dress £68 in green


Moving onto some V necks now.

Burgundy at ASOS £60


V neck again at Bruce Oldfield at John Lewis. 

Bruce by Bruce Oldfield purple velvet dress £249


But now an excellent price dark blue one from Zalando. 

Vila Vivelvetine Maxi Dress in total exclips £32.99


To finish - I've come across some printed versions.  Not something I'd thought of and the price definitely precludes the first.  But isn't it just divine?

Chloe Printed Maxi Dress  from The Outnet was £2465 now £859.25  Pockets.  It has pockets. 



Style London Maxi Dress with velvet trim was £46 now £32




So velvet yay or nay?  I did also try a velvet top on that I'm still considering but I just find the whole dress thing so much easier.  And if anyone has any idea how to get hold of that turquoise & Other Stories dress - I am all ears.

After the excessive celebrations yesterday later on, today was decidedly low key.  Am nursing an exceptionally sore throat and so have had to cancel plans for this evening as tomorrow - big day in London ice skating.  Can't.  Wait. 


White oversized shirt - Me+Em
Navy chunky jumper - M&S
Side stripe navy joggers - Me+Em
White leather trainers - Autograph at M&S
Red Soho Disco - Gucci

Hope everyone else has a lovely Friday evening - we've had a takeaway and are now watching Scrooged en famille.  I may even treat myself to a glass of mulled wine - I'm sure it has medicinal purposes?


Share this:

CONVERSATION

23 comentarios:

  1. Bloody Asos! I'm away in Ireland next weekend on a pre-Christmas jolly and thought that green velvet dress would have been perfect for dinner in our hotel on Saturday night. I was almost hyperventilating with excitement but it's sold out now. Dammit.
    Loved it massively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW so so sorry! It was in stock when I put it on I promise!

      Delete
    2. And meant to add, do keep watching it as it does come back in stock sometimes!

      Delete
    3. I'm on it now. It just appeared in a size 8, so I quickly put it in my basket, but someone has beaten me to it again because it was OOS again by the time I'd clicked. Guess how my Saturday is going to be spent! (Slightly obsessed now).

      Delete
    4. The 8 is back in stock at the moment

      Delete
    5. Have you got it Marie??!

      Delete
  2. I can so see you in a velvet dress, but not for me. It's a dress thing, don't wear them often enough really, so my dresses have to be super versatile. I'm surprised how much I like turquoise velvet, looks great. Any thing else velvet and I'm there like a shot, my navy velvet trousers from last year have already had one outing and maybe in for another this evening (it's a toss up between them and a pair of tuxedo trousers).
    I've got one Christmas party as well, and that'll be velvet trousers and lace blouse for me.
    Yesterday evening was spent relaxing with the husband, watching the traditional Danish advent series (24 episodes, aimed at (big) kids, quite often with some sort of mystical theme). Epitomises Danish 'hygge'! And I finished off making some of the Christmas chocolates I've been making, so now we can begin eating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE the idea of an Advent Series. WE're currently watching Designated Survivor although we've caught up and it's now only an episode a week so we can't binge watch which is rather irritating!

      I did buy the velvet Alexa suit from M&S but took it back as the trousers were very similar to the Jaeger cropped flare trews and I'm not sure how many pairs of those you need!

      Delete
  3. Morning & other stories dress back online in size 36/10! Hope you get it. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to order it for hours and it keeps saying it's still out of stock. I think I may just have to accept... *weeps*

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain :-( Hope it pops back into stock miraculously for you - it is surprisingly absolutely gorgeous. I felt exactly as you do when I wanted your & Other Stories dress with the leopard across the shoulder. I'm almost over it now :D But if you ever get sick of it... :D I've always hated velvet and try as I might to like it... Although I do have velvet boots and shoes and pumps. Maybe I don't hate it that much. Hmmm. Maybe I need to go shopping. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I LOVE that dress. Although... have you seen the pearl embellished one from this season? I think that's a great alternative....

      The dress is not looking good. *weeps*

      Delete
  5. The brown & other stories one is lovely and will probably a perfect length on me 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. AminoGH can assist boom metabolism speed for a advanced destroy down of fats for accelerated energy and fats burning. The focused amino acids in AminoGH may additionally assist heal broken tissue and restore joint harm. Ignite your frame's capability to rapid boost and burn fat, growth energy, and live healthful. AminoGH contains a diffusion of amino acids that may assist frame techniques in developing muscle, recuperation frame tissue and helping wholesome joints.For more ==== >>>>>> http://www.strongtesterone.com/max-test-xtreme/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are an EEJIT !

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha! Spam doesn't get through often - but yes, occasionally it does..... *yawns*

      Delete
  7. Just bought myself a black velvet jacket ...... have been eyeing some burgundy velevt pants ..... now have to look for a dress maybe?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone has a velvet addiction growing....!

      Delete
  8. "It's like metal mickey meets zippy" this made me laugh out loud but no point explaining to children, just too young to get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I don't even think my babysitters would get it. Youth of today. PAH!

      Delete
  9. Do you have Monki in England? They do a lot of cool velvety stuff now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do! Although the store on Carnaby Street is rather scary. Always looks much better on ASOS! I'll check it out thank you xxx

      Delete