Left field shopping

Aka bargain basement shopping away from the high street.  

It's that time of the season again.  I need everything. 

The reality is that I need diddly squat.  However on perusing all the new wonderful spring goodies that are in the shops, it's exceptionally easy (which I should probably rephrase as "I find it.." - there will be more normal people out there who think I'm nuts) to come to the conclusion that I need an entirely new wardrobe.  And that I must embrace every new fashion trend that's out there. 

Which is clearly absurd.  On every level.  I have a perfectly acceptable wardrobe that just needs a few new bits added in for this S/S.  And when we're talking a) economics and b) muttonomics - flinging every new trend that there is into your wardrobe is a huge Fail.  A total no go area. 

But every season it's the same for me - proverbial rabbit in the headlights.  The sensible option is to take a step back, objectively review what you already have and what key looks that are new would work for your lifestyle, your budget and your wardrobe.  

Hence this is what I am doing.  Until Bob takes over and eschews all shopping rules to the wind.  For a couple of weeks, though, I am Little Miss Sensible and am making notes.  

One thing I do tend to do this time of year is hit the bargain basement.  Le bay of the E.  I have a complete love hate relationship with Ebay.  I love buying accessories, I completely hate buying clothes.  Primarily as I am utterly crap at it and end up with a massive pile of tat.  Nothing fits.  And it ends up in the charity bag.

However I've always found the best bargains are those things that you've hankered after for ages, not bought, but wish you had done.  Or different versions of things you do have and you know you get a lot of wear out of.  You either can't find them again as they've sold out or aren't in season.  But they may well be a bargain on Ebay. 

I also find that a stalk of the total sales dregs can often throw up a bargain.  One man's meat and all that.  So I have a couple of those to report as well. 

Starting with more Ash Wedges.  I actually get asked all the time about wedge trainers and I am still flying the flag for them.  I fully acknowledge that they're not everyones cup of tea but the fact that they are so much more mainstream than they were this time last year, must mean others are coming over to the dark side. 

I probably should do another post for this season.  If anyone would like one?

I personally won't be buying any more as I have just purchased these Thelma beauties. (famous last words)  I paid less than a third of what they are full price.  They're not new but they are barely worn.






Secondly a gem from My Wardrobe.   As soon as I strip off the scarves once the sun comes out, I feel completely naked without something round my neck.  And as I seem to be heading down the plain top, print jacket route this year, a large necklace to add interest just seemed to be the ideal purchase.  I had vouchers for My Wardrobe from my birthday and so this for half price was a clincher.  It's very marmite (like most of what I like) but I absolutely love it.  By Kenneth Jay Lane.







Back to Ebay for another piece of jewellery which I've already worn twice.   The Tempest Necklace from Stella and Dot.  I got around 60% off the list price (it was one a stylist in Canada was selling) and I am over the moon with it.  I've worn it during the day and at night and expect to see a fair bit of it.

Finally a scarf that I don't actually recall seeing full price which is lucky as I think I would have had to buy it. (I know I say that a lot, but it's boringly true)  A Markus Lupfer scarf from Whistles.  Was reduced as it has a couple of holes in it.  Firstly, the scarf is so huge that when you wear it, you can't see them.  Secondly, hopefully my wonderful mother with her exceptional darning skills may be able to work her magic on it.  And thirdly, they reduced it to £12.50 for me so I couldn't possibly leave it there.  Again, I've already worn it.  An excellent sign of a new purchase - however damaged it may be. 


Untitled



So there we are.  BIts that aren't particularly "in fashion" but things I know I'll wear a lot.  They're very "me",  Which, as crappola as it sounds, is part of the trick of finding a style you're happy with and feeling good about yourself.  

Having said all of that, there are, of course, loads of great things about, that I still would love to fit into my wardrobe.  And maybe a couple of new looks to try?  I shall be exploring some of them in the next couple of days, so watch this space. 

A run down of what I've been wearing the last couple of days. 

Untitled

Navy jumper - H&M
Silky loose trousers - FCUK
Navy pleather jacket - Primark
Bea suede wedge trainers - Ash
Navy tie dye scarf - Cos
Stone maxi zip satchel - Anya Hindmarch
Sunglasses - Dior

Untitled

Cream cowl neck Renoir top - FCUK
Grey Baxters - Topshop
Grey and oatmeal blazer - Zara
Fabulous Finches scarf in Owl brown - Mulberry
Madonna stud wedges - Ash
Fuchsia Roxanne tote - Mulberry
Razor cuff - McQueen

Untitled
Untitled


White tee - Baukjen
Paint splatter jeans - Zara
Vintage style black tweed blazer - Zara
Scarf - Markus Lupfer for Whistles 
Black Thelma wedges - Ash
Black multi pocket bag - M&S

Out for the evening on Friday night 

Untitled

White tee - Baukjen (no I didn't get changed from earlier - skank alert) 
Tie dye jeans - H&M
Black tuxedo style blazer - Topshop
Tempest necklace - Stella & Dot
Black suede high boots - Zara
Black clutch - Tory Burch


Untitled

Burgundy jumper - Dorothy Perkins
Straight leg jeans rolled up - Zara
Bea suede wedge trainers - Ash
Burgundy and blush coatigan - Clements Ribeiro
Beige jersey scarf with gold studs - Taylor Stephens
Stone maxi zip satchel - Anya Hindmarch

Untitled

Black and off white cashmere jumper dress - Joseph
Black coated jeggings - Dorothy Perkins
Marigold swing knitted cardigan - Goat Library
Tempest necklace - Stella & Dot
Gold Razor cuff - McQueen
Black multi pocket bag - M&S

Untitled

Pink silk top - Zara
Straight leg trousers rolled up - Zara
Navy blazer with elbow patches - Zara
Burgundy pumps - Superga
Sunglasses - Dior
Blush and fuchsia Camel scarf - Virginia Johnson
Vanilla Roxanne - Mulberry

Next blog - one of my "do I, don't I," trends from this season....  Can you guess what it might be?

Oh and huge huge apologies - as I've mentioned, for the tardiness of this post - but also for the code inputting thingy that I've had to put on Comments.  I was (as many bloggers are) getting an absurd amount of spam, which I didn't mind when it was just clogging up my email box, but it was hugely irritating to see it up on the Comments page, when so many of you take the time to write decent things.

I know it's a utter pain in the backside, but please don't let it put you off leaving a comment - I do love reading them (at times, criticisms and all... I think of it as constructive feedback).  I will keep it up for a few weeks to see if that's put the gits off.  Thank you xxxx

Share this:

CONVERSATION

18 comentarios:

  1. I have those black Thelma Wedges - got a good deal on them as well. LOVE them. Wear them all the time, having said I would never go down that path ....oh well. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD!!! I have drooled over the Stella & Dot necklace since Xmas I was hoping that Santa would leave it under the tree (that would have been a feat when they don't deliver to Irl) and I could never justify the full price of it but as soon as I saw it here on your blog I raced onto ebay found a seller like that said she used it for styling and is new with tags and a complete bargain at 60% off I hope it turns out ok she has 100% positive feedback but am always very nervous buying off ebay as any clothes I have bought have always been a let down, fingers crossed this goes well or I might just be turned off for life.

    PS great to see you back! love the blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you got it yet?! And?!!

      Delete
    2. Eeek! not yet!! was shipped 7th Mar so still waiting will report back!

      Delete
    3. yipee! necklace arrived today and I love love love it all in its original packaging and a beauty can't wait to wear it! oh I do make random comments on your twitter account i'm one of your stalkers @labhaosie just so you can make the connection!

      Delete
  3. Loving new scarf, thelma wedge + m&s bag combination! You look fab as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sobs* I have been lusting after that Markus Lupfer scarf for ever and a day, but there is simply no way I can afford it. I would have have bought it with TEN holes in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh I'm sorry. Was such a lucky lucky find I appreciate!

      Delete
  5. Are those really pumps you're sporting in the last pic? Am v impressed that the boots are off (is it really warm enough?) and am chuckling that you made no mention of such a huge change (ie shoes not boots) without so much as a by your leave. Loving your blog all the way from Israel where the clothes shops are awful and the fashion is iffy at the best of times. Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat, you are convincing me to grab a pair of wedge trainers. Looking fab as per always. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been scouring ebay for Ash Genial (or heck! Thelma will do too) for weeks ... but nobody is catering for my little size 4s :( Love the new scarf, gorgeous colours and pattern. As always, you look fab! Oh, also LOVE the Kenneth Jay Lane necklace. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve the Stone maxi zip satchel- its gorgeous :)£12.50 for the scarf,, Lucky ole you! Yep.. Nice to have you back kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have only just been brave enough to venture back to ebay after trying to sell my wedding dress and ending up with a whole host of fraudsters trying to tell me they would pay on delivery. However now completely hooked after grabbing a Malene Birger dress and a DVF dress both for a Bargainous £25 each :-)))))). Love the Kenneth Jay Lane and thanks for previous advice on skinny jeans , Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Zara blazer and Whistles scarf you're wearing - the colours look amazing on you... inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat, your blog is by far the best, love this post, the start of spring always makes me feel like I am going to panic buy, but the ideas kick in and before you know it the next season if around the corner, keep us chuckling with your blog and inspired by your great taste in fashion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOu like shopping and you want to save some money.Than register at www.galoo.com and buy anything you want for the price that you want. Also you can be a seller and post up to 12 products. You even have posibility to haggle, and save a lot of money. Really amazing. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That yellow jacket outfit looks fab on you and is a reminder that one day the rain will stop. Did you know it is snowing again next week??! I am finding it hard to focus on Summer clothes.

    ReplyDelete