Pyjama time

So never let it be said that I don't take something I quite like - from nothing - to complete extremes.  And with Print there really isn't anything more obsessional than wearing it head to foot, pyjama style. 

Right at the beginning of the season when we were all still knee deep in snow and the thought of baring flesh and wearing something vaguely sheer without need for thermal scaffolding underneath seemed like a lifetime away, I came across the Somerset by Temperly set in John Lewis.  And how I laughed.  Barf, I said.  I will never be seen in that. 

Fast forward to the one day when the thermometer nudged double figures and we all started googling sandals (ok so pumps), suddenly, it didn't seem like such a bad idea.  It definitely is a trend.  Some would say it's vile, but you'd be looking very S/S13. 

Actually I have to say, the Temperly set still doesn't rock my world.  It was the Whistles Orchid Print (combined with their 25% off promotion clearly) that made me think - actually this may well work.

And here's why. 

  • I like matchy matchy.  It may be the height of naffness in some circles but the cleanliness of a match appeals to the less scrofulous side of me.
  • It's an easy way to bring your wardrobe bang up to date - a matching print top and bottom
  • It's a great wardrobe addition - hugely versatile.  The top can be worn a number of different ways, as can the trousers.  I know I bang on endlessly about dressing up and dressing down items but it's the best way to make more out of your wardrobe.  Great with jeans for every day, with a leather pencil skirt or coated skinnies/pleather trews for a night out or fancy lunch.  Ditto the bottoms - with a casual tee and cons/flipflops for the day, a silk shirt/vest and blazer with heels for dinner. 
Personally I love the tunic style of most of the tops.  Hide a multitude of sins at waist level (love handles that don't need accentuating with something clingy thank you very much).  Not great if you're more well endowed of chest, but there are also some shirts on offer which would be better to wear.

Here are ones that I've come across starting with my nearly favourite from Whistles. 

Simply adore this top.  My obsession with navy will be explained very shortly. 













This is actually the bomber jacket as opposed to the top.  I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the bomber jacket with matching trousers isn't floating my boat..... But that's my personal preference - I'm not a bomber jacket sort of person.  For ladies of a certain age, I'd probably advise against it as well.  But then to lots of my age - the whole matching top to bottom will be just wrong on every level.  Horses for courses and all that. 


Moving onto the Somerset by Temperley range that I mentioned.  The pattern is too pale and just too jimjamesque for my liking but it may well be popular in some camps.  Very Stella McCartney but better as separates for me.  I stand by my saying nay to these as an outfit together. (she says knowing that she'll be buying in them in the sale and eating her words.  Duh)








I think the sleeveless top would look better as an outfit with the trousers (still not for me though - it's the colour, print and fabric- it's just tooooooo pyjama.  Ok so actually I don't really like this one at all)

Sleeveless silk blouse - £79 (although with it being paler at the top than at the bottom is vaguely reminiscent of something that's been left too long on the washing line in the sunshine.  Only me?) 



If we do want to go top end then there are a plethora at Net A Porter, My Wardrobe and Matches

However there is a huge soft spot for the leopard print set from Jaeger.  This definitely is up there as my favourite.  And there is 25% off with this week's Grazia.  Oh if only The Husband didn't utterly loathe all things animal print...... I could so so go all three pieces.  And there's a shirt dress as well.  Be still my beating heart. 












For a different shape - Zara have done a shirt and wide legged version.  Far more palatable price wise and a nod to monochrome whilst you're there. 

Animal print trousers at £39.99 and the Printed Shirt at also £39.99






Another more reasonable version is available at Great Plains. 









Also really pretty are the Paisley Party Trousers at £60



With the matching tunic shape top in Sapphire for £49


So there we have it.  Thoughts?  I'm loving it as a no brainer way to update your wardrobe for the Spring.  Plus the versatility it gives with regards to the number of outfits you can create (she says desperately trying to justify purchasing the Leopard print numbers from Jaeger.  Alas it won't be happening any time soon but it is the first must have item on my sales list).  Also a great set for a capsule wardrobe if anyone is having to pack light any time soon?!

So a round up of what I've been wearing the last couple of days.  

But firstly, to introduce my new bag.  A wonderful little number from Whistles in grey courtesy of some fantastic friends who gave me vouchers for my birthday.  I've been contemplating a grey bag for ages but there's grey and there's grey.  For me, this is perfect.  Plus it fits my other current fave thing - the cross body bag. 

Untitled



Untitled

Nude vest - Primark
Black thin knit wool top - Cos
Black and camel quilted jacket - Massimo Dutti
Leopard print scarf - Louis Vuitton
Stone maxi zip satchel - Anya Hindmarch
Camel Cypress boots - Acne

Untitled

Coral & charcoal striped vest - H&M
Coral jumper - H&M
Brown leather biker jacket - All Saints
Charcoal harem jersey pants - Toast
Gold bee necklace - Alex Monroe
Multi bead leather cuff - Jigsaw
Stone maxi zip cross body bag - Anya Hindmarch
Suede Bea wedge trainers - Ash


Untitled

Black l/s longline top - Baukjen
Silver jumper - Zara
Heart scarf - Markus Lupfer at Whistles
Black Thelma wedges - Ash
Grey cross body bag - Whistles

Untitled


Print blouse - Zara
Raspberry Leigh jeans - Topshop
Navy blazer - Zara
Greige suede cowboy boots - Zara
Gold bee necklace - Alex Monroe
Grey cross body bag - Whistles 

So will you be sporting the matchy matchy pyjama look?  Not entirely sure it's going to be the most popular look this season but I reckon if you're got the confidence to pull it off and find a print that works for you, it could be a winner. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

31 comentarios:

  1. Looks at the matchy look.
    Goes to wash eyes out with bleach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry sorry sorry!! (did make me chuckle though, thanking you kindly!) xx

      Delete
  2. Everything you say re versatility and updating is great, but a whole outfit in print is a scary prospect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Won't be going down this road (unless it is the Jaeger print which won't be happening on my budget!) have to say I think it is too much and too pyjama like. Love your new bag though and as usual all your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the Jaeger print is a cut above isn't it? And thank you - I too am in love with bag!

      Delete
  4. Good Lord, no. No pyjama look for me. It might look good on some people, but with me...well...it'll just look like I'm an old mad lady that forgot to dress herself upon rising.
    Also, I'm loving the LV scarf as well as the harem pants. I wish I had the sense to buy them when they were still available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say they are the best harem pants I"ve ever tried. Try Hush though - they look pretty good. x

      Delete
  5. My eyes! My eyes!
    It's a no from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can open them for boots in the next blog. Yummy, scrummy boots!

      Delete
  6. Nooooooooooo! You'd need to be about 5ft 10" and a size 8 to pull off a matchy matchy look like that .. oh, hang on a sec! You are!! Will be dying to see how you look in it (cos I have no doubt it will end up in your wardrobe at some point!) Absolutely LOVE the Jaegar leopard print coat however .. gorgeous. What is it about men and their hatred of animal print - same reaction in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha! God knows. He hates it but doesn't stop me wearing it!

      Delete
  7. Err that'll be a no from me too I'm afraid! I'm such a cowardy cat when it comes to pattern - but if anyone can convert me you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall try..... If I save up for the Jaeger one!

      Delete
  8. Consider the plot lost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No no no no no no no. Bringing me out in a rash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too much print, not good for the eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry sweetheart, it's a big no from me - jimjamallamahs should stay indoors! Love the bag though - was just thinking would love a grey bag and lo and behold, there you have it. I would kill for a marc jacobs hillier in grey but not big enough at the mo for me with two little ones so just ordered a cobalt blue huge leather shopper from Zara, not the same but will satisfy my bag craving for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shopper is a grand idea. Loving Cobalt blue as well. Enjoy! x

      Delete
  12. Confused by the neg comments here! I love the pyjama look esp the Whistles set (minus the bomber). I would Wear that- but I work in a very male dominated environment and would get funny looks + comments. But I love it! Hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  13. You look great, as you always do. But I don't even own pyjamas to wear INSIDE the house, let alone out in public. It's very Marmite, as you would say, bit like the Ash wedges which I couldn't wear either. Love your posts whatever you wear - keep up the fab work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely bag & love some of those patterns as separates but it's a capital NO from me as a combo. The Somerset by Temperley trousers are beautiful.

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THey'll probably be in the sale love! I don't think they're as nice as your TS ones personally! xx

      Delete
  15. Your husband loathes animal prints but you have a LV scarf in an animal print?

    Don't care for the matchy matchy look, outdoors anyway.

    Love the Whistles bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but very handily my husband therefore never borrows my scarf! Actually I got it as a Christmas present just after I'd had a miscarriage so his being the hugest fan of the print wasn't really a priority.

      And you're not alone on the not liking the matchy matchy by all accounts!

      Delete
  16. Oh dear...is Bob in town?
    Love the whistles bag though and all the outfits
    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete