My latest High Street hottie

Now from numerous conversations with my peer group, I am more than aware that there are shops that we feel we can't go into.  As soon as you venture near them, that muttonometer starts with a gentle hum and god forbid you should actually enter - full on klaxon alert. 

But friends of mine Joanna and Susie were having a convo about the most fantastic jacket, that was so up my street, muttonometer - I am ignoring you. It may be a slight tribute to my latest obsession, the wonderful Ms Marant, but a tenth of the cost. 

And so I thought at the very least I could have a quick squiz instore (ignoring the fact that I was sure the OLD LADY beacon was flashing above my head, halo style). 

Well hello River Island.  Don't get me wrong.  There is a lot in there that I wouldn't wear.  I'm pretty sure the entire Rihanna for River Island range would look beyond hilarious on me - but then I'm pretty sure that it's not aimed at the 40 plus market.  I did order a jacket from there online in the Christmas Sale (which I manage to have misplaced - utter fool) - but I assumed it was a one off.

There was however, much more than I'd expected which I could have walked out with.  Quality wise, definitely on a par with Topshop, much better than the likes of New Look, Forever 21 and the cheaper end of the market.  But then it's more expensive - I'd say marginally more reasonable than Zara, ish, so one would expect the quality to be better. 

Interestingly, I'm clearly late to the party as I bumped into a friend in Zara later on (who is younger than me, I do believe...), she said she'd just found the most amazing jacket in, wait for it, River Island.  And obviously, it was the exact same one that I'd tried on!  Great minds and all that and thank goodness I perhaps wasn't just having a Bob moment.  

So let's kick off with said jacket.  Actually before we start, I should say that River Island is one of those random shops where the things do look better in the flesh.  A lot better.  Not that their website is M&S terrible - things do look ok, but certainly much improved when you see them up close and personal.  So I've also taken some photos - where I think they look better (not that my photos are great - dear god no - but you know where I'm coming from hopefully) 





Untitled
Untitled
Untitled


Moving onto boots.  I have another boot post coming up later.  Tis a sad sad boot story but on the upside, I definitely feel I have a boot hole in my wardrobe (and seeing as, yes, yet again, it's snowing) a purchase that isn't the most foolish thing on the planet. 

These are lovely.  Remind me of the ones from Wrap that I posted yesterday but are a lot lot cheaper.  Possibly wouldn't have given them a second look online but in the flesh they are a beautiful slouchy, soft suede. 

Light Grey Perforated western style boot



Untitled

Ditto the above.  Much more expensive looking than they appear here.  Slouchier and more lived in. 

Beige contrast panel studded boots


Untitled



Now I didn't see these in store so that either means that a) they ming and I glossed over them b) they didn't have them or c) I bypassed them as I had a beige shaped boot engraved on my radar.  However I actually dreamt about these last night (levels of sad I never thought I'd descend to).  To me they're an updated version of the Rockafellas (which I have so clearly I need these like I need a hole in the head.)  But I love the black and greige together.....

Black wrapped buckle western ankle boots 



Moving away from boots onto a jacket that is firmly on my sales list.  Because obviously I don't have enough jackets very very like this.   On the upside though, I do wear them so clearly one can never have enough.  I did have one pretty much identical to this from Zara, eight years ago.  In fact think I only got rid of it two years ago after it sat unworn in my wardrobe for two years.   Sod's law. 

Pink boucle stud cropped military jacket





Untitled


Now hold on to you hats.  This is definitely a Bob moment.  But I don't care.  I love this.  My 8 year old loves this (which says it all really......).  I more than love it, I completely adore it.  I am full aware that is it mutton with a capital M.  I feel I may have to develop a mid life crisis just to justify it. (of course the fact I am even contemplating it is a clear indication that I may well be in the midst of one already).  Feel free to vomit.  

Should add at this point - another one I haven't seen in real life so I reserve the right to backpedal massively. 

khaki camo and skull print army jacket








As much as I am hankering after a pair of boyfriend jeans (there may be news on that - watch this space.....) I still am a firm devotee of all things skinny and these are fabulous distressed skinnies.  Gorgeous wash and just the right amount of vintage look.  I am aware that a lot of people really rave about RI jeans - I've never tried as I've always assumed they'd be cut just above my pubic bone and I would have less of a muffin and more of an entire black forest gateau hanging over the top.  But I probably should try them on.  If you are a fan, perhaps you could report back?

Light wash distressed Matilda jeans


Untitled


These so reminded me of my By Malene Birger khaki skinnies that I have lived in for the past two years.   Also great in a lighter camel colour as well.  And reduced I believe. (yes £20!)

Khaki skinny combat jeans





Untitled

Trousers - they had a couple of fabulous pairs of loose cuffed numbers.  Gorgeous silky fabric.  Lovely colours, excellent detailing.  Some of the best pairs I've seen. 

Khaki zip jogger trousers 






Untitled


Also saw these (to me - amazing - to most - mingaringding) harem trousers online.  DIdn't see them instore.  But lust. 

Khaki green harem trousers






And conversely I saw these instore but couldn't see them online.  Definitely worth tracking down if you like them. 


Untitled



Now I know I don't do dresses.  But one of my Spring fashion resolutions was to wear more dresses.  This is going exceptionally well as you can tell.  I have worn the sum total of zero so far.  To be fair though, it's hardly been leg exposing weather.  (did I mention we have snow? ugh).  However assuming that the temperature does nudge above freezing and that random yellow ball makes an appearance in the sky for more than 20 mins at a time, then this I think for holiday or for a casual summer bbq/lunch or those lovely warm days, would be great with little flipflops.  They also do it in black as well.  I'm off to Suffolk and Ireland this year with the family so I'm not "entirely" sure I'll get a huge amount of wear out it, but may have a weekend or two away with the girls in the offing........ 

Cream drop waist smock dress



This is a really great summer scarf.  You can't get the full effect of the velvet devore detail either online or in my photograph but it's really unusual and very striking.  A lovely big size.   Other colours online as well. 

Khaki skull and cross devore scarf



Untitled









So break it to me gently - have I lost my mind? (if I have, so has my friend who I bumped into - we were both raving about how fantastic it was) 

ooh and almost forgot - the jacket that started it all off.  Which they didn't have in store but is on its way to me.  Can't wait to see it.   Isabel Marant, eat your heart out. 



There may be another online order being made later tonight.........

Share this:

CONVERSATION

26 comentarios:

  1. I'm a huge RI fan - but then again, I used to work in it so have always paid it nostalgic visits! Fantastic for shoes and scarves. Jeans-wise, I'm interested to read other comments as I've generally found them on the short side so haven't even tried them recently. Looking forward to seeing the jacket in the flesh, Avx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I going shopping next week and there is a large River Island at the shopping centre so going to pop in and ignore the mutton thingy. The jacket looks lovely on you - maybe it's better for taller gals such as yourself though - what do you think? Love those khaki skinnies and I am on the short side so Avril's comment above sounds encouraging! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I usually bypass RI as I find it all a bit too spangled for my tastes. I do like the look of those khaki skinnies and harem trousers though.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! I am so getting that waterfall jacket!! Hope it is half as nice on me as it is on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked in river island in Basingstoke for 5 years in my teens but haven't set foot in one since I stopped & went to uni! My entire wardrobe used to be RI thanks to 30% regular staff discount & 75% for uniform (this was 1998 onwards, might not be as generous now), I loved it all so much. Perhaps I'll give it another go in future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that jacket, it reminds me of a shop called Feathers that used to be opposite Harrods along that run of shops where Zara is. In the 90s grunge era it was full of exquisite 'grunge' clothes, in my mind's eye, I wanted to look exactly how you look in the first picture. Unfortunately they didn't cater up to my size then so I never really gave it a go, might give RI a whirl instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look of the cloud print jacket :-) But the items with skulls on them? Well hmmmm....!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I've been a real fan of River island for a while and I can recommend their jeans, they run true to size and the pairs I have are most comfy too. I just ordered a jacket in the week and it fits perfectly, is so well made and was half price £70 to £35-it's a cream wool biker with pleather sleeves. Love the waterfall jacket on you and the pink one is gorgeous too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. River Island is my secret favourite shop - sometimes I get scared to go in but their shoes are amazing -I have bought so many great pairs and they really last!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the jackets and khaki skinnies. Please could you let us know about sizing on the cloud jacket, looks like there are none in stores local to me so would need to order online...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I can't wait for the report back on the Cloud jacket - that one is the most intriguing. And Sod's law that it wasn't in store - it's always the way. The smock dress - love. But I would be torn between the black and white. The black one would look fab on you with some leather jeggings (I'm anticipating it might be a little shorter on you than on me). The waterfall jacket is good on you too - your height helps again - oh why oh why was God mean to me and gave me such short legs?

    And thank you for the shout out Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really couldn't envy you British girls more for the amazing designers and boutiques we don't yet have in the states. I'm so intrigued by this post that I googled off, and while there is no US site, RI is sold at Asos. With free shipping and returns, I may have to do some research and report back.
    However, about the skull pieces, I'm with Thea... not a huge fan (skulls belong in heads).

    p.s. I just love the way you write!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frankly, I'm slightly scared of RI! I consider it a 'babysitter' shop and as employer of said babysitters, I'm generally convinced that the sales assistants are sniggering at someone of my advanced years daring to cross the threshold. Having said that, I think their bags and scarves are fab (have the black version of the skull one - have worn it to death) & love the pink boucle jacket you've shown. A pal of mine swears by their jeans ... so maybe I should just take a deep breath, apply lots of anti-ageing cream and venture through their doors again!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went in when I was back in the UK - just for research purposes and I was floored there were so many great items - granted some VERY young things too but once the wheat had been sifted from the chaff there were still plenty of gems! I love the knitted waterfall jacket I got there - it has served me well and was a great buy. I love that jacket you tried in black too - really quite sexy with an all black outfit...wish I could wear jackets more here in the summer - I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the cloud one. Free shipping on their US site is a HUGE bonus:) The camo jacket can be your dungarees;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hated the jacket til I saw it on you - can't believe you didn't buy it! Suits you so much. Also love the black wrapped boots, though already been lusting after this pair http://www.riverisland.com/women/shoes--boots/ankle-boots/Black-fringed-ankle-boots-635590 - did you see them?

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm an Isabel Marant devotee. I generally buy 2-4 items from her every season but.....Ok, ok, you, Sue and Joanna have convinced me to step foot into River Island.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for that round up, I now know to avoid River Island this season.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Feeling a bit of a dimwit here - evidently I am ignorant of the 'rules' re what constitutes mutton dressed as lamb at what age, because I always look in River Island when I'm near one, and it never occurred to me that I, at 49, might be too old to shop there. I am genuinely puzzled and wonder if you might write a post about what makes you think either the pink jacket or the waterfall one is too young for you or even me. Whilst I wouldn't myself wear anything revealing or little-girly, I can't begin to fathom what could possibly be wrong with an older woman (much older than you, Kat!) wearing either of those two items, or any of the others on this page. Will you spell it out for those of us who are not up on these things? I'm thin, like you, but I also can't see any problem with a fuller-figured person wearing this stuff either. Hoping for some insight here. :-)

    Your blog is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the first khaki jacket.
    I definitely prefer River Island to Topshop.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I really like R.Island.....I think its always worth a look in, i have found some real gems there!! Great blog by the way xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some nice stuff there - I agree that River Island have good shoes and I've been hankering after a pair of their peep-toe wedge boots for a while. Not sure about the skull jacket though! Being high-waisted, I've always assumed their jeans would be minging on me but will give them a go. I do struggle to find jeans which fit properly due to a combination of long legs, short body and hourglass figure - any tips?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love River Island, their jeans always fit me properly and I always get some wee gem when I am in there and I am a petite 45!! I bought the khaki zip joggers and the same ones in slte grey and I loove them but would like some advice on how to wear them for going out?? Peeptoe stillettoes, a silky tshirt and a fitted blazer????????// I am only 5 foot 2 but these are very slimming on me...thanks Kat, love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm pretty sure the pink bouclé jacket would look great on you! All depends on how you style it.. But I do agree with you, I feel super old when I go to River Island but they have some great pieces...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kat
    Love the blog, definitely prefer RI boots but am as guilty as anyone at time in going for the expensive option thinking its what I need! Even thinking now that designer handbags are a waste of cash when the high st shops have such innovative designs. Now you have discovered my absolutely favourite shop - Riv island and at 62 belive me the muttonmeter is always following me around but I love loads of their stuff, obviously you have to be selective but even their 'midi dresses' that fall just beloew my knee are fab if you like a body con type of dress.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I stumbled on your blog while searching for All Saints. I've just bought the Black wrapped buckle western ankle boots thanks to you, I wouldn't have thought to look at River Island otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm pretty sure the pink jacket would look great on you!!! All depends on how you style it.. and denims are looking nice...we have a great collection of British High Street Fashion

    ReplyDelete