Another summer essential (with maybe another amendment...)

So I officially can't remember which amendment to my New Year's rules we're up to - I appreciate there have been a *couple* - but I'm throwing in a summer special one. 

For anyone who hasn't been following the blog for long, at the beginning of the year, I set myself a challenge of buying only three things a month.  I then said, a pair of shoes and an accessory a month was allowed on top of the three items which were then purely meant for clothing.  Clear as mud?

My next slight change to the rules is one that has been mentioned a couple of times by other people - that of the Essential Basic.  Should this be an extra on top of the allowance?  Well yes, I decree that it should.  Especially if it's replacing an old essential that has died a death (darn moths/washing machine/just plain old).

There is nothing more irritating than having to buy a necessary basic item such as a new tee in place of an old plain tee.  It's hardly the most exciting purchase you'll ever make, is it?  But needed.  So, we can make this an extra.  Any basic purchase so long as you are replacing an old one, is an acceptable bonus buy. 

Which is handy, seeing as one of my old white linen Zara tops died.   Small hole appeared, consigned to the bin.   And I managed to snag an off white Max Studio tee from TK Maxx for a rather respectable £16.99.

They are my absolute favourite sort of basic tee.  I did post the other week about how I struggled with these and for sure, I do.  The only exception to the rule is the linen tee.  Somehow these work.  I don't wear them as often as I used to but certainly I love them for layering and with a print jacket or print trousers/shorts/skirts, they can be very useful. 

I've been trying some on *just in case* and whilst these aren't cheap cheap options, you will get such a lot of wear out of them, for me, they do represent a good investment. 

This from Jigsaw is probably my favourite.  

Jigsaw Linen Blend Slub Summer Jumper £59  Now it says that this is slate grey but I would say that it's definitely a navy.   This is stunning.  Perfect trim at the bottom, perfect neckline for those with or without boobs - ideal sleeve length.  I would advise buying all colours if you can.


image


In white 



Peppermint 


Other ones that I've tried on which I think are lovely and again, gorgeous quality are those from The White Company.  The code AD199 should hopefully give you 20% off with free delivery off fashion and homewares. (I just googled this so hopefully it will work)

Sporty Linen T-shirt from TWC £40



Ludicrous expression here, apologies.


image


V-Back T-shirt in White from The White Company £50




image


They also do this in an Ash Pink for £50 as well. 



And the pocket T-shirt in white for £45




image

And in navy £45



Double Layer Grey tee shirt from Jigsaw £49  Two for the price of one here.






And in a denim blue colour also £49




If you are looking for a slightly shorter tee to finish at your waist and sit perfectly on the top of your boyfriend jeans or, for example, smarter trousers that you want to have a neat waistband with and nothing tucked in, then this split hem one from Whistles would be perfect.  Also would be ideal for over skirts..... Save that excess fabric bunching round your waist which can be an issue. 

Whistles Linen Split Hem T-shirt in white £55



Also in black £55


I also love the Lauren top from Whistles at £65




In navy  £65




In green £65




And in black again £65 from Whistles 





There is cheaper to be found at Mango, but will it wash as well as the more expensive varieties?  I'd say probably not (thinking about the Zara ones which don't wash that well at all.....)  But they do look great in these pics and I love the slub effect of the colours. 

Linen t-shirt in gunmetal grey £19.99



And in sand vigore (their description not mine by the way) £19.99






They also do a long sleeve version which isn't a million miles away from the Whistles one although personally I do think the bottom shaping of the Whistles one gives it the edge for me.  But these, for this price are amazing. 

Linen Jumper from Mango in navy £29.99


In light beige again £29.99



A fabulous pastel yellow 



And what they call a Medium Pink £29.99 





Whilst this isn't plain, I'm throwing this in as I love it! (and it is a linen top....) 

Printed Linen top in navy £19.99 from Mango 



And another striped linen tee from Mango at £14.99



And a black and white linen tee also from Mango £19.99




So there hopefully are some suggestions to supplement your summer wardrobe but also work perfectly now with sweatshirts, jackets and jumpers for layering.  If you've never tried a linen top before, I can highly highly recommend.  I do love my viscose tees, but these really are a great drapey yet non clingy alternative.

Today though, we had SUN!  It was beautifully warm and we had a fab day trip out en famille - great lunch out at a wonderful hotel and then to Mitchelstown Caves, where alas we didn't bump into Kim or Kanye.  I have high hopes of maybe running into them if we go bowling tomorrow.  Now I would have worn my sandals but slippery floor on the caves meant sensible footwear was required.  Which I now own.  It's a miracle. 



Untitled

Too much love will kill you Tee in heather - Zoe Karssen
Indigo Baxters - Topshop
Midnight boucle jacket - Zara
Black ponyskin skater shoes - Next
Tan bag - Prada

See you all tomorrow - I have wine to drink

Share this:

CONVERSATION

30 comentarios:

  1. My god I have to stop reading your blog, you always find such lovely things. I've never bought anything from the white company, but love two of the t shirts you have featured. Off to explore if they deliver to Ireland. Sure they are an investment. Anything to convince myself....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! They absolutely are - they really are great quality & hopefully the 20% off code would work too..... xxx

      Delete
  2. I brought 2 t shirts from mango this year for the first time, and have to say they have both been worn and washed a couple of times and so far so good. still look great and haven't done that twisty thing that some t shirts do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear - sometimes it is such a risk..!

      Delete
  3. I don't know if it has a technical name - but Tees and Sweatshirts that have that stichted cross motif just at the neckline are my current detail "catnip"! I am obsessed with it - anything with that becomes an instant favourite! ( and if it was in blue and white stripe and linen with a three quarter or full length sleeve - then it would be an instant - click and buy! Hoping that might be something you are more likely to spot on your travels than K&K!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J Crew has some lovely short sleeve Tees with the cross motif, I've got one in grey which I love

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if you're in Ireland or not but honestly I have seen EXACTLY what you've asked for - a breton 3/4 sleeve linen sweatshirt style tee in linen for 12 euro from Dunnes.... they don't have it online though. GAH!

      Delete
    3. Really?? Well that's my morning sorted. Dunnes & TK Maxx here I come x

      Delete
    4. I bought that Dunnes one, but it shrank. You get what you pay for. Really disappointed with Dunnes recently, all the baby stuff I bought there shrank too :(

      Delete
    5. My mil was raving about Dunnes the other day but honestly I do think it is quite expensive, compared to Penneys for example. She thinks it's like M&S, bless her and I know they've always had that reputation but to me it's always been a bit more BHS...... However I shall be going to buy the footie kits for the boys - total result for 8euro (even though both have said they want Spain and not Ireland. Absolutely NO idea why.....)!

      Delete
    6. I'm not too familiar with BHS, I think they had a store in Dublin in the 80s, it wouldn't be somewhere I'd seek out in the UK. Dunnes is a step up from Penny's in price and quality but it's not in the same league as M&S.

      Delete
  4. Kat your blog is highly addictive, I love the 'real life' photos in the changing rooms it gives us a much better idea of the clothes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - although i'm a different shape to so many people, I do hope it sometimes helps. xx

      Delete
  5. I have never been in a White Company shop. Never been on my radar until last weekend when I was in Winchester. Their tees are so so good and I was tempted to get a sweatshirt style one that I saw But I have to say that I am more bowled over by their selection of PJs. Sounding slightly odd now I grant you but I am v particular about nightwear and their plainer styles are just what I need to replace some much loved and well worn ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, everyone has their foibles for sure and pyjamas can be yours! x

      Delete
  6. I love The White Company v-back. Have a couple of linen t-shirts from there and love them. They drape so much better than a normal cotton one. Hope the sun is shining for you today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love - the sun is shining this morning although I think it might break later but for sure, we've been really lucky so far x

      Delete
  7. What a timely post! I too have just chucked away a linen tee with a hole in it so I'm off to check out The White Company. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find something you love - they really are great quality xx

      Delete
  8. I love a linen T-shirt. Thank you for modelling as we can get a much better idea of what the tops actually look like. I know you didn't model the 'Lauren' from Whistles but I like the look of that one. H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be perfect for higher waisted skirts and trousers definitely! x

      Delete
  9. Hi, Kat. I agree with Kerry about the changing room photos being a big help. Please could you let me know what the sizing is like with the White Company sporty tee and the long-sleeved pocket one? I am very tempted by both, but I definitely want to order a relaxed fit, similar to the one you have in the pics. Sadly, my days of very fitted tees have come to an end - all's fine and nice and flat when I stand up, but oh boy, sitting down turns me into Michelin Man Mini Me nowadays! Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the ones I tried on were in a Medium. I would say they were on the normal to generous side. Hope that helps! x

      Delete
    2. It does, Kat - thank you so much! Have now ordered. :-)

      Delete
  10. Hi Kat, I'm really trying to stick to your 3 items a month (great idea - I have sooo many impulse buys still with the tags on that I never wear) but what's the rule on flash sales? Dune have just launched 20% off - but I'm 3 items in, plus a pair of sandals and a pair of sunnies already this month.... but it ends before June allowance kicks in? Sob - does it count if I order it online but it gets delivered next month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my god if you order it and it arrives next month, then DEFINITELY that's fine. I may be slightly/very over this month and shall be rolling over the my allowance I think..... Although the sales are next month, so I may be then rolling over more....

      Delete
  11. I am with you Kim, I need to stop reading this fab blog (no chance of that happening). I think house of fraser may have £10off the whistles t shirt online. Sorry to all those who are trying to be good and not buy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh is it House of Fraser that John Lewis are matching? Also money off at John Lewis too. GAHHH 20%.. (I don't think there's anything else I need than goodness.. not that *need* has ever had anything to do with it...)

      Delete
  12. The dressing room shots are very helpful, so thanks for posting those. Agree, a tee is essential for one's closet but to find the perfect fit and drape can make it a difficult task. For me, it needs to hide my muffin top but still fitted enough where it doesn't have the sack-like effect and bunch up like crazy under a blazer. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've totally hit the nail on the head! I think a linen knit works and I'm also a huge fan of viscose. Hopefully the pics do help! x

      Delete