Have I maybe sussed it?

The Big Skirt Debate that is.

So we saw how much of a success the full midi skirt on me was - in for a penny, in for a pound, I thought I'd give it one last shot with a skirt from Whistles that I saw and loved. 

Sadly it didn't love me back.  Unless of course, I was going for "Suffragette Chic"

I so wanted to love this.  But alas it does me no favours.

Firstly we have it on the hips where it's supposed to sit.  Look marvellous, no?


image

This is it sitting lower on the hips which is much much more in my comfort zone.  Unfortunately with a full skirt of such thick, voluminous fabric and coming out from a waistband, it makes me look like I'm smuggling sacks of potatoes. 

image


However, I think I may have finally found something that works skirtwise.  And it's one that I already have (don't you love it when that happens?)   The answer for me is A Line.  And sizing up so that it does sit on my hips and not on my (non existent) waist.  

I'm fully aware that I am slim, however I am straight up and down and anything that purports to sit at my waist, actually results in me looking very "thick".  Whereas a skirt that sits on my hips and flares gently out, gives the illusion of shape, plus it's so much easier to have a top that then rests at the waistband of the skirt.  Of which I have a fair amount, which is again a huge plus in making this sort of skirt work in my wardrobe. 

It appears though, that these are not entirely the height of fashion, judging by the lack of them that are out there.  Pencil skirt, check, full midi skirt, check, maxi skirt, check, micro mini A Line, check.  But something to preserve one's modesty, hovering above or below the knee line?  Yeah, not so much.  But research I have as this is something I am determined will work for the coming months - when we're not basking in high twenties temps and I can hoik out the shorts. 

Of course the place to start is the Empire of the A Line skirt and that is Boden.  Whilst there are a couple, it does seem that they've moved away from them into lots of different skirt styles - like I say, they're not exactly super on trend but hey, I honestly think they work.  In fact, I'm going to stick my neck out and say they're one of the most flattering styles to wear for a casual dress down skirt - and that's hard to find.

G845 will get you 20% discount until the 21st!  After then it goes down to 15% and more importantly, things will start selling out (if not already sold out - grrrr)

Fancy Embroidered A Line Mini Skirt £89



In Pearl & Navy Flowers £89






Navy Aldwych Skirt £69



Also love the stone with a navy waistband £69



Denim A Line at BHS (why pay more?!) £18  Love the idea of this with a box tee or little crew jumper - even a sweatshirt and trainers, flat sandals or skater shoes.  In my head, it's more Stella McCartney and less BHS.... (I may have had a small spritzer this evening....) 



Indigo A Line £15 also from BHS  I'm not going to lie - I'm not sure I'd tuck a tee in like this....  And yes, yawn yawn, I would like it to sit lower on the hips.



Box Pleat ones are flat over the stomach and also are less fabric whilst giving a flattering shape over the hips. 

This is the look I was trying to achieve with the Whistles one.  

Kaliko Stripe Monochrome Skirt £89 but now £71.20



Leather works so so well in this shape (she says super biased as she already has one) 

Baukjen Aldridge Leather Skirt in Bronze now £157 was £225  I LOVE the idea of wearing this during the day with white or navy - definitely not just for night.  Again, lower on the waist for me please.







Or in slate - also now only £157


However the leather skirt of choice is this from Wallis.  White leather.  No I haven't lost my marbles totally, I saw it first on Alex at The Frugality and whilst she is infinitely cooler and less middle aged and a different league of on trend to me, I don't care - I LOVE IT. 

White leather A line skirt was £95 now £66.50




Slightly longer A line now and I still have this fabulous skirt from Wishbone on my wishlist, if you'll pardon the pun. 

Wishbone Lauren £160 leather skirt in black 



And in tan also £160



Continuing the slightly longer below the knee length with more leather.  I love this look for year round wear.  Now this has a touch more fabric but still a flat waistband - ideally for me, like I've said already, this worn on the hips would work much better and negate the need for a cropped top of any description. 

Warehouse Full leather midi skirt in mint £120



Staying with longer but moving away from leather.

New Look Crepe Midi A Line skirt in black £17.99



ASOS midi skirt in Painted Floral print £35




And now much shorter.  To be fair there are lots of super short A line skirts around but for me - I do think that at my age (and actually my height) this is too short.  Somehow shorts are ok but a skirt... I'm essentially terrified of flashing my pants.  Wrong on every level for someone at the age of 41.  (not entirely sure if it's any better at the age of 31 or below but mentally, well, yes, it is) 

However I love this in the lilac and actually, if you're shorter this wouldn't be too cheek skimming.

Florence & Fred A line detail pocket skirt £16



And a total ringer now - too full, would probably make me look super hippy but I love it.  I love it with the top (there are also trousers as well.. actually I adore the top on its own to be honest).  It doesn't look to be quite as voluminous as the Whistles stripe one. 
Baum Und Pferdgarten Saeko Full Skirt in Stripe £169



Now before my new skirt arrives, I am getting my legs used to daylight with shorts.  Yes, you read that right, shorts.  Only because it's been so deliciously warm.  

Yesterday - huge, old basket full of swimming stuff for the kids.  An afternoon outdoors with friends watching the kids swim drinking Pimms.  Not too shabby.

image


Snakeprint swing top - All Saints
Faded denim shorts - Warehouse 
Tan gladiator sandals - Aldo
Straw cowboy hat - FatFace

And today - very fond of this outfit, even thought I NEED NEW SANDALS.

image

Navy oversized tee - Reiss
Faded shorts - Warehouse
Trilby - TK Maxx
Rose Gold Havaianas 

So I hate to break this to you, I am on a mission for Tan Sliders.  I think I am going to totally cave and order the Birkenstocks although I am dithering dithering as to white or black.... Decisions decisions.. and actually do I order the original Birkies or the ASOS versions or the Zara versions - dare I bore you with another blog on it all?!  

Share this:

CONVERSATION

25 comentarios:

  1. Hope the skirt works out for you. I rarely wear skirts nowadays since it's usually not flattering on me. The only types that currently work have a fitted waist panel but flounce out or the waistband is just elasticized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny - they're the ones that look horrific on me! horse for courses and all that!! I have another option today on the blog if skirts aren't your thing x

      Delete
  2. So funny - I ordered that ASOS skirt this morning - great minds and all that! Have a look at Next for tan sliders. My navy ones also come in tan. Great tan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi...I got the ASOS skirt about six weeks ago, it's lovely but be warned, the sizes come up a little small. I love skirts, but you're right, hard to find a good one.

      Delete
    2. Great minds - YAY! That would look ace on you, that skirt. Yes, I did see the tan ones and was super tempted but wanted a lighter shade of tan. (fussy or WHAT). The hunt goes on. Always one thing every year.x

      Delete
  3. Great tan, as in your tan is great, not the next slides!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered and returned the Wallis white leather skirt. It was too short on me (I'm five eight) and my usual size was baggy on the waist and tight on the bum and hips. I am a different shape to you though - an hourglass.

    I ordered white Birkenstocks for £33 from a German site and I absolutely love them. They are amazingly comfortable and look cool with all sorts of things. Today I wore them with a white broderie anglaise shift dress. Yesterday, with some Top cullottes and a slightly cropped white shirt from M&S which I am totally in love with. Be careful of sizing down though - I found I needed my usual size (39). They're supposed to be quite roomy when standing, because your feet slide forward when you walk. Someone on another blog ordered a size down, and her Birkies aren't comfortable, probably because they're too small. Mine were blissful straight away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boo - I hope it fits - it's a long shot to be honest....

      That's interesting about the Birkies as everyone I've ever spoken to about them says size down. I HATE shoes that are too big full stop so these may not work for me. Although I did have the Gizehs (sp?) when I was pg about 10 yeras ago (SHIT!!) and I'm sure I took a 39. I'm inbetween sizes anyway so hopefully they'll fit. x

      Delete
    2. Birkenstocks do a regular and narrow fit, and not all shops are clear on which they sell. I find the regular fit (where the footprint logo on the footbed is just the outline) I need to size down in, and that is taking into account that the correct fit is roomy. The narrow fit (where the footprint logo is filled in) I find I buy need my normal size. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  5. I have to say that the Dune Marant dupes are so comfortable, really pleased with them, not sure if they come in tan but of they did I would say go get 'em.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH I spent a WEEK trying to get hold of them - bloody sold out everywhere. GAH

      Delete
  6. You look stunning in the shorts and t-shirt and hat. And I have to say I LOVE the havaianas with it. Whilst not as "on trend" as sliders or birkenstocks I think they are a classic that look great.

    Love skirts but they are tricky, The A line is a totally flattering shape and really comfortable and versatile too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you and yes, I don't think they look too bad at all - I guess they're just SUPER dressed down for me - they're v comfy, that's for sure x

      Delete
  7. Love that oversize tee from Reise. Go Birkies. I live in mine all year round (overseas dweller). Every year I try to save a few buck/quid and order imitations (Next and Office were my latest flop) and totally regret it. They dont last. Like another reply said go on Birkinstock website they have hundreds to choose from. Madrid and Arizona are my fave styles. Good luck and I look forward to reading about what you choose. Lucy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true indeed - I just didn't know whether I preferred the slightly more streamline look of some of the others - not the direct imitations. I'll probably just go for the originials though x

      Delete
  8. Love those midi leather skirts - positively drooling. And the Kaliko black & white, tho' I'd look like a giant humbug!

    I did get a "maxi", i.e lower calf on me dress from M&S - Autograph round neck weird black/cream choppy stripes? - got lots of compliments, the top fits close to the hip & then the skirt flares - quite flattering actually

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH I've seen that one but haven't blogged on it as I couldn't quite work out whether it was supposed to be midi or maxi.....? Was in the adverts recently as well? Looked gorgeous x

      Delete
    2. Well I guess its a maxi, reviews say it touches the ground on 5' 6". I'm 6ft however so excellent "swishy" length, it s lined and falls well. I don't have much of a waist either, so it creates the illusion! Yes, there is a pic of Rosie for Autograph wearing it. I'm sure I'll get plenty of wear from it.

      Delete
  9. BIRKS-check out TK Maxx you can get white & blk for the same price as one pair! Although id go to try on as im normally a size 5 & buy a 36 Birk X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh hells bells I could have gone this afternoon! Why didn't I read this sooner. GAH!!

      Delete
  10. You look fab in your shorts. I bought the Warehouse mint leather A-line skirt and its soo gorgeous. Even nice to look at on the hanger!! I sized down... the 12 on the hips made me look hippy... the 10 is snug but much more flattering if that makes sense.. anyway, great post as usual. Audrey ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh so pleased to hear it's a lovely skirt. yes I know what you mean - I struggle as I'm so thick on the waist so the right size cuts in as opposed to sitting flush - again if that makes sense?! x

      Delete
  11. I have a couple of a-line skirts from Boden (much more patterned/colourful than your tastes but the same shape) and I wear them all spring & summer long to work as they are so comfy but the right length for the office too. Looking forward to digging them out once the baby has arrived - they sit at the waist as you say so I was back in them a couple of days after having my daughter as they hide the post-birth wobble!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boden used to do so so many - but clearly they think they're old hat now!! Sod's law or what?!

      Delete