It started with a print....

....never thought it would come to this....

So you know sometimes you see a print and you think, oh that's nice.  And then you see a print that you actually can't stop thinking about.  You love it.  Totally and utterly love it.  To be fair, it needn't necessarily be a print for clothes - I've known in the past to get the same obsession over cushions and fabrics.  Saddo alert perhaps. 

After my little perusal of the JCrew website, I have totally fallen in love with the Cove Floral Print.  Actually, I'll fess up, I may have had had a sneak preview of it when I saw it on my Net-a-porter email of new arrivals.  But on the JCrew site itself they have surpassed themselves with options for me.  

For the record, can I interject here and say that this email is TOTALLY the fault of J.Crew and Net a Porter for sending me emails.  Emails full of loveliness.  Kick a dog when she's down, why don't you?  Too.  Hard.  To.  Resist.......

Surf Skirt in Cove Floral £128



Sleeveless Drapey top in Cove Floral £98



Alternatively I love the idea of the posh sweatshirt style top with the skirt.  Again, super useful on its own. 

Merino Silk-panel in Cove Floral £118





Or there is just the dress option itself.  AND *hyperventilates*, it's machine wash. (yeah, slight fly in the ointment, both the tops above are dry clean only.  But the skirt isn't.  Go figure)  This is a breakthrough in dresses for me - it means you can wear it with a denim jacket and skater shoes on the school run as well as to a wedding with killer heels and a clutch.  My absolutely favourite sort of dress. 

Clove Floral Surf Dress £168  No it's not cheap but it's so versatile it will pay for itself time and time again.  Plus it's made from actual neoprene so I'm banking on it having super sucky in vibes.  That's a technical term by the way. 


Alternatively there are the drawstring pants in the same print at £89.50



I would of course be lying if that's the only thing I was in love with.  I'll be honest - this is going to be a JCrew love in.  I've managed to unearth some goodies (I won't say bargains, as they're not cheap cheap but compared to a lot on the site, I think they are definitely affordable)

Love this for a casual tee - instead of the shapeless offerings that are out there at the moment.  These are all actually from Net A Porter and I will tell you why in a bit.  There is method in my madness (sort of)

Gossamer Sleeve Cotton Sweater £65






Staying with the simple, love this Cotton Blend Terry Sweatshirt £60






Another neutral jumper that will last all year round - a great twist on a Breton. 

Striped Wool-blend Sweater £90


Embroidered Printed Cotton top £90



Love this - sold out on NAP so here it is from JCrew where actually you can get Tall & Petite as well. 

Embroidered tunic in Chambray £118



And finishing with my "holiday purchase"  I do this every year, especially when we're not going somewhere massively glamourous or expensive and this will be perfect for dressing down.  I've had my eye on it for a while and suddenly I had to have it.  Flick switched.  I think I'm going to take either my green Zara coat or more likely my raincoat and this would be perfect with both of them. 

The reason I have put the Net A Porter links is that, whilst it is free delivery from JCrew, it also takes 4 to 8 working days for delivery.  WHAT??  In this day and age?  No next day delivery option at all - clearly I have been very spoiled by some of the excellent Customer Service you can get in this country - Zara (though you do have to pay for it, they are super reliable) and ASOS - amazing, not to mention my beloved John Lewis click & collect that you can get from (and return to) Waitrose. 

Mon Cheri Cotton Sweatshirt £65





And then on a whim, I bombed to TK Maxx this afternoon and oh. my. god.  Look what I found! 



image


For...........drumroll.......... £16.99.  

I am beyond delighted.  I also need to desperately do a tally of what I've bought this month, even though I have a sneaky suspicion (ie I know... ) I've gone over three.   There is of course, every chance that the JCrew sweatshirt will be rubbish (yeah right)  And on the upside (?!) I have had to take back the Wallis white leather skirt as it was too big. SOB SOB SOB.  I sized up on the one skirt that would have fitted me in my usual size.  So it was too long.  To be honest, I'm gutted as I loved it and it would have worked so well alongside the one skirt I own.  

Have been thinking about maybe the floral one that would work with plain tees or even a striped breton top...... I have of course become obsessed with skirts now. 

Anyway, outfit for today - all a lot of old favourites from my wardrobe with the addition of the new shoes and bag.  I love getting wear out of old loved things.  It also goes to prove, I think, that you should only buy things that you truly love as you will keep them and you will wear them.  This jacket, for example, years ago was my "going out" jacket and whilst I sometimes do still wear it out in the evening, I love getting wear out of it during the day.  

image

Sand coloured linen tee - Zara
Straight leg jeans turned up - Jigsaw
Pearly King & Queen jacket - Phase Eight
Resin and shell necklace - By Malene Birger
Delphine shoes - NW3 by Hobbs
Tan bag - Prada

So there we have confession of the day.  I am utterly giddy about my new tee shirt and shall be saving it for Ireland, along with maybe my new sweatshirt.  The annual challenge of how to fit a week's worth of warm clothing into essentially a lunch box begins.  Not as easy as it sounds. HA!  

It's only June in a week or so (a long week to be fair but....) so I may be able to push one of these purchases into July.  Or I may have to make another amendment.   Holiday clothes allowance?  Or replacement of essentials?.... Any other ideas?

Oh and I shall be reporting back about the Fugly Sandal hunt.  I'm not sure the Birkenstocks work for me.  I may have to go off piste and go even Fuglier.  Yes, you read that right.  



Share this:

CONVERSATION

29 comentarios:

  1. I just saw some fab birkies at QVC, animal print yes that means leopard and some patent/quilted ones, seemed to be some good deals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that I my birkie quest may be over. I absolutely adore them on other people but they don't quite work on me. I may have found an alternative which I'm rather chuffed with...!

      Delete
  2. Love the TK Maxx top, I never find things there, drives me crazy! I've seen the Mon Cheri top IRL, it's a bit of a heavier fabric than I expected so wasn't sure about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I have a total love hate relationship with TK Maxx as I think most people do. Sweat arrived & I LOVE it. It's definitely a thinner fabric than their winter ones which I have so I think it's a total keeper. A much better fit on me than the Whistles ones for the same price plus I prefer the terry cloth inner. That said, I could be a total label whore (ie yes...) xx

      Delete
  3. I love the print in the drawstring pants, it's the most fun out of all the options. But I'm a big fan of soft/drawstring pants.

    Nice score on the t-shirt! xo

    http://valleyoftheshoes.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have all of them!! And yes, over the moon with the tee! Thank you x

      Delete
  4. Seems TK have had a shipment of Zoe Karssen tees recently - my local store has loads (I bought two)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only one they had. I hawked the ENTIRE SHOP and it was the only one. I would have bought ALL OF THEM!!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful print - would be v interested in the frock for a wedding in the summer. Worry neoprene might be a bit clingy and hot though...

    It all comes from the US despite the stores here now, v frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to order the dress when I get back from holiday in the interests of research......

      Delete
  6. Love every single J Crew piece, so not fair, need to win the lotto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin the tees. Am also a fellow Sevenoaks girl who is now living in Ireland. So visa vi your trip over here. You kinda have to look at it as an extended trip for all your lovely jackets that you've been wearing b4 the weather started hotting up in Kent. And bring your scarves. We wear scarves here year long in Ireland. Put in a summer outfit but boost it with cardi/jkt and scarf!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG how exciting! OOH so many questions - Whereabouts in Ireland and are you? Are you Sevenoaks born & bred? Coming back at all? And yes, we've been to Ireland loads (family are all over there!) so am more than used to packing for all seasons. Or buying a whole load of new stuff at Penneys or Dunnes!

      Delete
    2. Ooh I shall look forward to seeing your Irish purchases!! As you're on Hols, does that mean it's also a holiday from the rules??!! Myself am living in leafy suburbs of Dublin. We moved to Otford in my teens but it is where I think of as home. Probably not moving back. But never say never!! Enjoy your holiday here!!

      Delete
  8. I am going to annoy everyone by saying that I'll be in the states in July and there's a J Crew in the nearest mall so I have got my wish list together I will have to pretend that I am casually having a browse when I get there but inside I'll be thinking of my mental checklist. Trying not to look as though I know their stock better than they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go off a girl you know.....!! That sounds AMAZING!

      Delete
  9. I have a soft spot for that J Crew print the neoprene skirt is stunning, was so tempted when I was there the other day! I have done my J Crew wish list on my blog this week and it is very similar to yours!! Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH I'll go and have a look. Got so much blog reading to catch up on. I can't believe I haven't been to the store yet. NEver seem to make it past Covent Garden when I go to London now - the shopping is just so fab there (ie they have a Cos..!) xx

      Delete
  10. I love the necklace. Are those shoes comfy? They look really nice, but I'm on my feet all day at work and can't cope with pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are unbelievably comfy. I wear all day and have done from day one with no socks and not one hint of a blister. They're worth their weight in gold for that alone!

      Delete
    2. Now that is value for money. Thanks! Xx

      Delete
  11. Have to make a trip to TKMAXX soon and check out those t-shirtsunfortunately not this weekend as I am off to Amsterdam.

    Kat, I haven't followed your blog very long so what is all this talking about your "monthly allowance". Keen to know LOL. Did The Husband (aka The part of the couple who doesn't understand why a pair of new shoes or a new handbag can make a person truly and utterly happy and leaves a feeling like a 2 hr Spa treatment…sorry, just speaking for myself here...) have to do anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA! Right the monthly allowance is something that I decided to do at the beginning of the year - it's not monetary based - I can buy anything (within reason) but the idea is that I only buy 3 things a month. Be it a £300 dress or a £14 jumper. Three things only..... Plus one pair of shoes (again, might be £18 sneakers or more) and one accessory. (again, can be a £20 hat from M&S or a Prada bag - there will only be one of the latter per annum for sure!)

      Clear as mud?! And I AM SO SO SO SO with you on the buying one thing making up for so much - Personally I can't stand spas so this is my vice, for sure) xxx

      Delete
  12. Wow, a great TK Maxx find, you lucky girl xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love - exceptionally pleased for sure xx

      Delete
  13. Love the t shirt (surely it doesn't count towards your monthly allowance since it's so bargainous). TK Maxx have some fab Max Studio maxi skirts on the website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spookily I may have been looking at a Max Studio linen top....... I think it has to count. GAH But I think there has to be something along the lines of replacement essentials - white tees for example (so this clearly doesn't cover it!) xx

      Delete
  14. Birkies aren't happening here. I will report back tomorrow..... I"ve gone even fuglier, if that's possible..! xx

    ReplyDelete