I'd rather not be a total jinx on the weather...

....... so I will shelve the blog I've been planning on doing on playsuits as they'd be about as useful at the moment as the proverbial chocolate teapot - it being not exactly scorching and about to rain any minute.  Of course, that could just because I am sat on the in the middle of the pond now with the family in Ireland.  


To say it isn't playsuit weather would be putting it rather mildly.  I'm refraining from looking at the weather back home as I've a sneaky feeling it's due to get slightly warmer in the next couple of days with the re-appearance of that big yellow ball thing in the sky.  Alas, it doesn't matter how many times I a) refresh the weather app on my iphone or b) google yet another weather forecast site, the universal symbol for "pissing it down" is rife.  Every day.  Till Friday.  When we come home.

Whilst this isn't necessarily a problem, there are loads of things that we have planned to do that are of the indoor variety - the kids are currently playing with clay in my mother in law's art studio and having a total whale of a time - it does mean that I am not entirely inclined to think about all things summery.  The playsuit is a victim of this. 

But I have another cunning idea up my sleeve which was born the other day out of a couple of things.  One - one of my closest friends having a small shop up in Selfridges (you know who you are....), two - then seeing what I considered to be a fantastic alternative in M&S and three - on the back of yet another marketing email (no not from J.Crew this time, I'm just a marketer's dream, full stop.  Backbone of a mussel)

We are talking Jumpsuits.  After the success of mine the other week when I wore it on two occasions, I did realise how fantastically useful they are.  I also realised that whilst mine looks great for the first couple of minutes, it really is pretty rubbish quality and creases within about 5 seconds of wearing it (total total pet hate of mine, which is ironic considering how much I loathe ironing). 

So when I got a confession email from my friend saying that the following had happened to just fall into her shopping bag, I thought oooh they are so so lovely......

This is what she got:-





Which is beyond, beyond gorgeous.  And clearly this year, someone at M&S is totally on the ball as it's not only J.Crew and All Saints they are channelling - hell no, come on DVF, we'll have a go at you too. 

I saw this months ago, in fact this photo I had to go back and hunt down on my phone but it's very very similar.  Except it's less than £50.  Oh and that's before the 20% off which you can still get on all clothes and accessories at M&S until the 26th (ie end of Bank Holiday Monday) using the code MAY14EM

Ok now you have to promise me you won't judge on the photo on the website.  Please.  This could be the reason why there are lots of these still in stock as Dear.  God.   Do believe me when I say this looks NOTHING like it does on the model in the pic (ok so to be fair it's not too bad bar the length/shoe issue.  Honestly the mind boggles)

Anyway, it is a beautiful silk jersey crepe like fabric (the sort that drapes perfectly and never creases - oh hang on a minute, just like DVF stuff).  This is definitely navy in real life and not as dark as it looks here (nor actually is it purpley indigo as it looks in my photo - it really is just navy)  And the little silver disc chain belt is also detachable, which hopefully my pic is useful for being able to see.





image 

They also have in black which has a chain belt, again detachable.  If it is possible, the styling of this is even worse.  Actually just click on the link for a total giggle.  Would anyone honestly leave the house like that?  IT'S TOO SHORT.




It has to be said that's one of the reasons why I personally prefer the tapered leg versions, being a tallie.  They are much easier to wear with a variety of heel heights as it doesn't matter if they're slightly on the 7/8ths side.  Much less of a headache to just throw on and go as opposed to arsing around for hours working out which shoe goes.

Plus I think they're easier to dress down and that means they'll work harder for you.  Whilst these would look great with heeled sandals or courts and a blazer for the evening, they look just as great dressed down for the day.  Chuck a denim jacket or fabric biker over in these slightly (?!) temps till it warms up.  

Lots of tencel around - lovely fabric.  Fabulous soft drape to it.

Again from M&S (price before 20% discount) 









More Tencel from Mango in a chambray style fabric - love love love this.  




A drape neck and nipped in waist at Phase Eight in a flattering navy. 




Perhaps it may be more helpful to have it in a longsleeved version. 



If you don't want a plain colour and you're on the adventurous side, then there are some fab print ones out there. 

Starting with one of my favourites.  I liked this when I first saw it and it's growing on me more and more.  The easiest way to wear print.  A very slight twist on plain...  This one definitely falls into the camp of dress up, dress down.







Another easy to wear one from Mango - again this would work for work with black (or white, depending on your job) court shoes and a blazer. 






Full on print at Mango (the mecca of all things jumpsuit it seems) 





And from M&S again. 

Abstract Print Jumpsuit £45 (pre discount)  This would look great with a navy blazer and flat sandals for a smarter look.  Or with a denim (or dare I say bomber jacket - thinking of that John Lewis Kin one I tried on) jacket and sliders (or any other flat sandal of your choice!) 


Wide legged, cowl neck slightly less in your face version from Phase Eight. 



If we're talking full on prints again, this is up there with one of my faves from Mint Velvet.





And a strappy number from Mint Velvet as well. 




However my absolute favourite is this from Zara which I wanted to try on the other day and didn't get a chance to.  And of course it's out of stock in my size online.  GAH. 



So I've got my shopping list - anyone else?  I know I've covered the jumpsuit before but they do seem to be getting more and more popular every month, let alone every season.  

And finishing with my outfits from the last couple of days - huge apologies for not having been around by the way.  Friday, the 7yr old had his ASD assessment which was rather stressful (not for him, he took it all in his stride, not remotely bothered in the slightest, which is half the problem!) but very useful.  Three hours later, a barrage of interviews later for both him and me (having had months of observations from schools and a huge pile of forms that we had to full in) we had a diagnosis.  Our confused, delicious 7yr old has Highly Functioning Autism - previously called Asperger's. 

The diagnosis was expected and hopefully will make it easier for all us to help him on what will probably be a difficult journey into adulthood.  But now that we know, we will be able to equip him with the right tools to function and succeed in society.  It doesn't change him, but it does change our expectations of him.  So all in all, it's a positive step.  A big step, but a positive step. 

I had a lovely day with him - the rest of his class were on a school trip, so after our morning at the hospital, we went to see my sister in law and his cousins for lunch and then spent the rest of the afternoon bowling.  A total treasure of an afternoon.  (although he beat me.  I didn't even let him.  Suffice to say bowling is not my sport) 


image 

Striped "J'adore mon tee" - Maison Scotch
Quilted navy jersey blazer - Next
Saxby Boyfriend jeans - ASOS
Ponyskin cheetah print skater shoes - Next
Tan bag - Prada

And for yesterday, travelling to Ireland.  It would, of course, have been wrong not to wear my green coat. 

image

"Oui Mon Cherie" Sweatshirt - J.Crew
Indigo Baxters - Topshop
Green boiled wool coat - Zara
Ponyskin cheetah print skater shoes - Next
Tan Felt Trilby - M&S
Tan Bag - Prada

And I am now in the middle of the Irish Countryside with nothing as far as the eye can see on all sides (cows don't count).  The wine is going down well, the family are on tap and we are all having a total chill out.  Utter.  Bliss.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

38 comentarios:

  1. Sending best wishes to you and your son xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good jumpsuits on here, I have that DVF jumpsuit, safe to say very comfy, although v long in the leg for me even with 5 inch heels it had to be taken up an inch. Bit of a pain when needing the loo - fiddly button at neck and then a side zip, making it quite awkward to remove when you've had a bit too much to drink!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely one of the downsides of jumpsuits for sure. (not making it falls into the loo when you've had too much to drink. Of course I can only imagine - that has *never* happened to me...) And yes, I thought the DVF would be exceptionally long. Probably the M&S one is better if you're on the shorter side!!

      Delete
  3. Love love a good jumpsuit, it's all about how big the derrière looks for me - bought the topshop mesh one you featured a while back and it's a total dress up/down winner (and surprisingly flattering). Have a fab hol and hope all goes well with your boy, glad you feel better with diagnosis. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so pleased it looked good. & thank you for your good wishes. xxxx

      Delete
  4. Been following your blog for a while and love your writing style, outfit posts and links on where to buy. Enjoy IReland (I live here with the rain all the time :( )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not *actually* rained here yet...... (but let's just say I'm not needing sunscreen..)

      Delete
  5. Have been debating a jumpsuit for ages and very tempted to go try on at M&S tomorrow before the code runs out so thank you Kat. Wonder if relaxing in Ireland with grandparents to occupy the kids will mean more online research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it works out - i'm gong to order online to make sure I definitely get the code and can always return it if it doesn't fit. Yes - problem with online research here is that the husband rolls his eyes every time I get out the laptop... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

      Delete
    2. Haha. Any consolation with the weather, it's teeming down in South of Eng too - enjoy Ireland.

      Delete
  6. The good (?) news is kimye are honeymooning in Ireland...they obviously didn't check the forecast. They are in cork allegedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are now planning a trip to Cork for mid week......

      Delete
  7. Hi Kat, I hope the diagnosis helps, my nephew was diagnosed with Aspergers but it took ages. I just wanted to let you know that now at 19 he has his own flat and is training as a mechanic - far more than my sister ever expected so I hope there will be some light at the end of your tunnel too. x
    Hope the weather isn't too awful and you have a good week. I love the DVF jumpsuit and the M&S look alike and am very tempted but my daughter put a bit of a damper on the jumpsuit idea by telling me they reminded her of Cheryl Cole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely to hear, thank you - it has been a long long journey here - to be honest, I've been saying since he was 6weeks old, there's something not quite right about him but it's been 2 years since we saw our first Psychiatric Paediatrician but yes, at last we know what we're dealing with.

      The weather is fine to be honest (she says as it's not pissing with rain at the moment!)

      Delete
  8. Got the me&em jumpsuit with white trim yesterday which I'm really pleased with! Where in Ireland are you, pretty rubbish weather here in Belfast! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I LOVE that one - forgot to put that in! We're in Cappawhite which is between Limerick and Tipp Town. The weather could be worse & on the upside I don't have to tan my legs...!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you finally got the right diagnosis for your son & you're now all on the right path. Good luck! Enjoy Ireland, whatever the weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kat, my friend (whose son has Asperger's) runs this organisation which may be helpful to you:
    http://www.parents-talking-aspergers.co.uk. They offer a lot of free support, events etc (based in Banbury but help anybody who needs it). Hope you don't mind me mentioning. Karen is a fantastic woman and a dear friend. She's had some tough times with her son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you thank you - I may contact her as I would love to know what's the best way of explaining it to him as that's the one thing no-one can really help me with! Thank you so much xxx

      Delete
    2. you are very welcome - I will tell her that you may be in touch. Her name is Karen Irvani and she is quite delightful, as is her family.x

      Delete
    3. Hi everyone, Google netted my name and I came across this post. Firstly, thanks to my dear friend Vanessa for her very kind words. Secondly, Kat, do get in touch. Parents Talking Asperger's has changed my life; just over two years' ago I'd not met another parent like me, and my boy didn't know others like him existed. So different now. May sound a little cliched but sharing with others who just get it makes all the difference. Find us on Facebook "Parents Talking Asperger's". Take care. X

      Delete
  11. Carol thank you as always for your gorgeous comment. Baukjen are normally really good quality in my experience plus they're excellent at sorting out any issues.

    We absolutely love coming to Ireland (home as the DH calls it) It's properly relaxing and, like you say, fabulously boho. We play cards and drink tea and sit around the fire (although thank god there's Sky for the kids though - they can only take arty to a certain level without excessive amounts of moaning) Although I have to say Beggar My Neighbour has proved almost as much of a hit as the Kindle Fires they got for Christmas!)

    I shall be going shopping with my Mil who I adore, later or tomorrow which will be fab. Gotta get a smidge of retail therapy in - I left room in the boys' suitcases *just in case*... I had forgotten there's a TK Maxx here so am going on a Karssen hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "It doesn't change him, but it does change our expectations of him." Nicely put, Kat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we can all stop trying to shove a square peg into a round hole! xxx

      Delete
  13. Kat, I've followed your blog for ages (and on Twitter too)....I'm from Emly originally, tho' have moved far away. :-)

    My DS also has HFA and he's aware of it; we dropped it into conversation quite casually from early on. Though I've told him it's his own private news and have kept it quiet knowing that the teenage years may be challenging with a 'label' to be bandied about.
    I find the Mumsnet SN pages useful for advice.
    Enjoy your hols!
    Tippchic x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I have one of both of those (a jumpsuit and a 6 year old with HFA). I'm one year post diagnosis - and a big fan of Tony Attwoods book/bible which explains the world of an aspie pretty well. We took the diagnosis hard, but I have to say, we are a better family because of him, just as he is. He really is the most interesting, hilarious, intelligent little character - evah!

    Although one is not enough -so I think I need that M&S black jumpsuit too - I will be known as the 'girl in the jumpsuit' - could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's definitely on the list of info that I've been given by his Paeds so I will check that out, thank you so much. And yes, one can never have enough jumpsuits! Thank you so much for taking the time to post xxxx

      Delete
  15. As an Aspie I would have given anything to have a mum like you. He's a lucky boy and will achieve great things. I've never let my diagnosis hold me back, it just made me more comfortable in my skin knowing what makes me, me. Lots of Love x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done Kat - relentless perseverance and great that you finally have a diagnosis. Warmest wishes for the journey ahead xx now to the frivolity that keeps us going - any thoughts on how I can track down the Maison Scotch Tee - I've trawled eBay without success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xxxx And right - Maison Scotch tee - hmmm bugger, I don't know as I got it last year. Keep going with ebay and I'm sure you've just tried googling it?xx

      Delete
  17. Hi I never post just lurk, read and spend way too much since ive started following you. Lol

    I just wanted to say my son was diagnosed with HFA at 3. It was bitter sweet to be honest explained alot but we were worried for his future. With the right help and a different way of teaching things your little man will shine. We were told not to have expectations for our son who is also 7 and he is a fantastic little boy. He is gifted in ways we could never expect or even have hoped for. I hope everything now falls into place for your son.

    Back to clothes... I need office clothes desperately and im lost. Have plenty of out of work clothes any suggestions???

    ReplyDelete
  18. Recently stumbled across your blog, it's great, love your style & I suspect many of your followers are wondering but dain NOT to ask how on earth you find the time to go seemingly daily/weekly clothes shopping or the financial resources for the high end labels esp. with the cost of living/kids/home improvements etc that many have ..:) x (Saw someone mentioning that on that awful mumsnet/troll site -why can't these futher muckers just be nice about people?!x ) Whatever/however keep up the good work & good to see someone grounded & funny too. Look forward to your reply & submitting my best blog vote. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. *ps: re above: I noticed that you had replied to a poster on an earlier blog telling them they'd been on a 'spendathon' following their purchase of 2 jackets, 2 tops, shoes & trousers in the space of a month - it made me laugh! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bless your boy & I'm so glad that you got there in the end as I know how stressful this must of been for you all! He will shine on with you as his Mama being his light & guide! I so need a jumpsuit & its next up on my wish list after a sneaky fugly purchase! Love the green for Ireland coat! Watch out for the giant slugs! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete