The logical choice for a 1st August post.

And that'll be coats.  Oh I know, it's bonkers but I *may* have just remembered another item I bought in the sale from Zara.  Actually I bought it three times, as you do.  Once in a Large, then in a Medium as I didn't know if I wanted it oversized and then finally took those two back and rebought it last week when it was reduced even further to £39.99 down from £129.99.  

However massive fess up time, I thought I really loved it but now, hmmm, well I do still like it but do I Love it?  And one of the Golden Sales Rules (like I actually follow them..) is that you must LOVE something and must not be buying it because it's cheap. 

Ho hum.  It's hard buying a coat in July.  Yes, I can now hear The Husband saying "errr so don't?  You have coats".  

Pah.  Yes I do have coats thanks to my getting into my outwear groove last season but boy do I struggle with a black coat.  A bit like a black bag, hence I still regularly use my Marc by Marc Jacobs black Faridah hobo bag which is nearly 8 years old as I just love it and the only one that has come close is the Wang Diego. 

I digress.  As pointless as it may seem, if you can find a coat you love in the sales it is The most intelligent of purchases.  Coats aren't cheap.  And also, I find, finding one you love is hard.  Really hard.  I would go so far as to say buying just one to fit all of your needs is virtually impossible so you need at least two.  Even if you do manage to find one workhorse of a coat that suits every wardrobe scenario, workhorses get knackered very easily and who wants an old nag of a coat by the end of the season?

Plus I think you wear them so much and they're pretty much the only thing a lot of people you meet see you in.  I know this is where my shallowmeter starts beeping but I'm taking the batteries out of the bugger as hell, I don't want to be wearing the same thing every time someone sees me.  There, I've said it and I don't care.   Some people won't care about wearing the same thing day in day out and wouldn't it just be a boring world if we all liked and did the same things. 

This does mean though that it is an exceptionally good time to look at the coats that can now be nabbed for some fabulous prices. 

Here are the pics of mine.  I would actually have fessed up earlier and put it online for you all but it's not on the Zara site and wasn't ever in this sale.  I assume it's super old stock. 

One of the reasons I love it is that it has a waffle texture.  Black coats can, dare I say it outloud and no-one slap me down, look cheap.  There is something about a cheaper black wool weave or poly mix that can just look flat somehow.  Doesn't seem to happen so much with navy, grey, tan or a print but black can just look a tad naff.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule and there are definitely some amazing cheaper ones out there to be found.  

A texture to it though, seems to take away from that.  It also makes it look slightly less funereal.  Jolly blog today eh?

Enough rambling on - here it is and the jury is still out.  Will I ever find a black coat that I Love love love though?  I don't even know what I actually want which is about as much help as a chocolate teapot.  It also looks decidedly wrong diddly over a summer outfit with sandals.  Dare I throw it out to the masses and ask for thoughts?


image image image



As I said, it's so so hard to find an amazing black coat, let alone one in the sale but I am going to try today.  However, I am starting with default navy.  Easy peasy.  And divine. 

WARNING - some of these coats are not meant for the dead of winter - although to be fair, with layers underneath, plus scarves, hats and gloves, it could be said in our climate this is all you need for the majority of the time.  Just before someone says about them not being proper coats coats...... 

FCUK Ziggy Coat in Nocturnal was £150 now £45 





Now one of my favourite purchases this year has been my Fenn Wright Manson leopard print coat.  And just to prove I do totally practise what I preach, this was bought in the sale and has proven to be the best investment.  Can't wait to get it out again the minute it gets a tad chillier. 

Some great other animal print options still available which will take you sailing into A/W with a couple of extra pennies in your pocket to spend on something else. 

Black & Cream Print Coat from Mint Velvet now £55 originally £149 



Or this one which is a more similar shape to my FWM one - if I hadn't bought that which I thought was a bargain, see this and weep. 

Gerard Darel Printed Black Coat was £300 now £120 


Another Monochome coat 


Another monochrome wonder - yes bracelet sleeves but I love this look with a polo neck underneath and gloves. 

Coast Alula Check Coat was £150 now £75



Now this is a warmer version - monochrome again from Phase Eight at half price. 

Phase Eight Zena ZigZag Coat in Black was £110 now £55



Another warm version from Baukjen in the sale and this is charcoal - actually a great alternative to a more harsh black coat.  This could be wear I've been going wrong.... 

Baukjen Lexham Wrap Coat was £299 now £179



Another stunning belted version in camel at Matches from DVF. 

Kadence Coat in camel was £494 was £197




However there is definitely something to be said for a full on colour number and this would give new life to last year's neutrals for sure.  Ideal with tans and winter whites, black, navys or greys. 

Collarless Tailored Coat by Sophie Hulme was £515 now £154 (yes you read that right)


Finishing with this which I haven't put it on as I saw it yesterday and assumed that someone would buy it but they haven't - so please someone do as it is THE most amazing buy but I don't need it. 

Hobbs Susanna Coat in black and ivory now £67.50 was a shed load more.










And from yesterday before someone turned the sunshine off today (I've got another sweatshirt on although I do still have my legs out - not wasting a good Cocoa Brown tan from yesterday!) 

image

Black and white print silk blouse - Isabel Marant for H&M
Denim shorts - Warehouse 
Patent sliders - Zara 

There are more bargains to be had for sure but I am up to my eyes in grout (dear god who knew there it could be so dull) and sleepovers for children. Tonight it is my turn to have the boys. This is too cute for words.  We have been at a BBQ round the corner en masse and I have come home with the boys.  At the moment I am winning as opposed to sleepovers I have done for girls.  Midnight feast and decision of which movie to watch took 2 minutes as opposed to 2 hours to decide.  I definitely feel I am winning so far.  Ask me tomorrow.......

Share this:

CONVERSATION

25 comentarios:

  1. love the orange/red coat by Sophie Hulme. would be a huge jump for me as i tend to opt for black, grey or navy when it comes to coats. my sparkle collar boden top arrived today, ordered the raven/ blush, would definitely say its black just not ink black. really like it though so its a keeper for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so stunning isn't it. Great to hear about the sparkly collar top - so it is like a a washed black?

      Delete
  2. LIke your Zara coat, looks great - keep it! Yes the orange coat is very nice..... Did see some great coats in &otherstories but not in the sale. I think this is a good time to buy a coat but I would advise having a quick recce through your coats as I really suffer from 'I love that, I'll buy that, Oh I realise why I love that, I have another one just like it' syndrome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love hate relationship with & other stories but haven't looked in for a while. And yes, I am SO guilty of buying something adn then realising I have the exact same thing already. More of a problem with lipsticks though....

      Delete
  3. I like your new coat but I don't love it so I'm not much help at all. I too think a colour or pattern coat works much better. Love the tan belted coat and the Mint Velvet and Phase Eight ones. Now I'm off to hunt out bargain tan coats as I didn't managed to find one last winter :-) Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly but I definitely need a black coat.... I LOVE my tan coat from Zara last year even though it went super bobbly which is an utter pain in the arse - deffo needs a debobble but I will be wearing it loads I know.

      Delete
  4. Honestly? It looks a bit skimpy or something maybe it's my northern roots but that Zara coat wouldn't make it past September here! But agree with you on the waffle and how flat black coats can look cheap and somehow always look like they need a dry clean. I love the leopard print and the red number. Maybe take the Zara back as we all know you'll only be looking again come October if you don't love it! Hope you survived the sleepover X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! This would honestly be a totally fine thickness for down south with layers and a scarf. Problem is that I actually spend so little time actually outdoors that as you come inside/go shopping/get in the car, you're boiling if you wear anything warmer. I do have my parka which is perfect for super super cold days but I would never wear a thicker coat than this for every day wear. I know I should take it back but I'm just so EEK that I won't find something else that I like as much.... It might be a help if I actually had an inkling of what I"m really looking for (zero idea)

      Delete
  5. I invested in a classic black Maxmara coat last year and it puts my other coats to shame! I love coats - the wardrobes are stuffed full of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when you get a great one they are the best investment. I just haven't even seen one that I think *that's it*!

      Delete
  6. Great transtional coat - I think it's a keeper for the price! I also struggle with black coats but I think I see them as a boring necessary purchase and I would always rather buy something else! I've been looking at faux fur coats!
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree which is why I think I haven't come across one I really love yet. Not even sure what style, shape, fabric etc etc. Yes there is loads of faux fur around but I think I shall be skipping that trend (knowing she'll be decked out head to toe in fur come October...!)

      Delete
  7. I splashed out and bought a Joseph coat last year. It's heaven, every time I put it on I feel fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the cashmere wrap Joseph coat could be one I caved for.....

      Delete
  8. Oh the Hobbs grey coat is gorgeous. Now if I had a winter wedding to go to.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe you should propose to someone Sludge LOL
      You never know i suppose!!

      Sian

      Delete
    2. I'm sure it would look just as fab over jeans for that price!

      Delete
  9. I have ordered the Sophie Hulme one! I had decided I was going to buy a bright coat this year as you say, goes with staple colours nd hopefully this will give wardrobe some zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh so hope you love it! Can't wait to hear what it's like!

      Delete
  10. You have got to order the Sophie Hulme one if it is a tomato red. Ie orangey red rather than a bright bluesy red. If that makes sense. The Zara coat you can keep as well and then the being seen in the same thing all winter thing ( which I totally get by the way) is no longer an issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not my colour at all and certainly doesn't really go with my colour palette for this A/W - I've always struggled with reds to be honest. The search will continue! x

      Delete
  11. Keep the Zara coat - I like it and I think you'll like it a lot more the closer to Autumn we get. It will go with millions of different things and can be dressed up or down - super-versatile. I also have the same Fenn Wright Manson leopard coat as you and have worn it to death (to the point where one of the seams is looking a bit precarious...). And funnily enough, I just bought a gorg little boiled wool double-breasted pea jacket today in the same tomato red as the Sophie Hulme coat - LOVE it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww this is true - maybe I should, I do love love love the texture of it just not sure if it was she shape I was after. but then I have NO idea what shape I want anyway. DUH! I think it will be a perfect throw on with a sweatshirt and jeans though for every day bombing about - it's not super casual but it's not super smart either. Maybe I'm talking myself into it..! That tomato red is such a great colour if it suits xx

      Delete
  12. oh boo you're probably right. Although like I said above, this will be warm enough for me easily. Hobbs - hmm that's a good point although I know they didn't have one that was any good last year. The search will continue...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it Kat & yours is my fav out of all of the above! I don't think you can ever have too many & totally agree about it mostly being the only item of clothing that most people see you in for months! Its a bargain too so keep it guilt free! Ax

    ReplyDelete