The weather has turned. We can mention the C word.

COAT.  Not Christmas (dear lord not yet please.....)

I know I said I was going to do dresses but I'm saving that for tomorrow as I just remembered my amazing find the other day.  And it fits perfectly into my plan for wardrobe domination.  

There is something to be said for buying classics which you can wear year in year out.  But there is also something rather delicious about a new trend that won't last forever.  It certainly does the job of bringing your old wardrobe faithfuls bang up to date. 

For me, it's also a great way to inject a bit of colour into what can be (mine certainly is) a neutral palette.  As much as I adore black - like I haven't pontificated about how fab it is recently and will do so at every opportunity I get - I do like a bit of variation. 

Last year I succumbed and in the summer I managed to snaffle another one.  Talking about the coat that is check. 

I love them.  I know that this year it's all about the fur coat (and I will look at them) but they're not me (caveat being that obviously I will have one by December. Obviously).   My head has been well and truly turned by check coats.  And I thought I was done.   I thought I was totally done.  I have two and I have my beady eye on the Plumo one that I'm praying will go into the sale (I need it like a hole in the head to be honest). 

But my lovely friend Nic who is the stunning face behind the Strawberry Blonde Beauty Blog asked if I had any pointers on check coats.  So Nic, I hold you personally responsible for what I have uncovered - I am SURE I could have walked past these and not given them a second thought.  However now the wishlist has grown legs. 

With one item in particular. (this is on top of the Plumo one...)

The most beautiful coat I have seen this year.  

Brushed Checked coat from Autograph at M&S £139



And here am I in it - now this is a size 22.  Yup.  A 22.  I am not a 22 by the way but it does you an indication of how totally insane the sizing is in M&S.  Clearly it does look slightly oversized here but if that had been the only one there was, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it.  I would say size up by perhaps two sizes (or more!) if you want it to look properly oversized as I really think it should.

image


Staying with the pink theme, I also saw this one in Warehouse - a more structured Crombie shape. 

Pink Check Coat from Warehouse £95



Staying on a pinky theme - moving into peachy pinky orangey to be honest, is this unusual one from Toast.  There is something stunning about this but it's going to be one of those you either adore or simply can't see the appeal at all.  The more I look at this, the more I absolutely love it. 

Toast Thea Merino Wool £235




And more orange at Monsoon. 

Chester Blanket Coat £129







image

(yes that is an HMV bag by my feet - presents for the 7yr old whose birthday is on Monday.  Got the most amazing retro Marvel comic note books and pencil cases as well as the Indiana Jones boxset which he has chewed our ear off about for weeks)
I love my navy check one from Hobbs but I definitely have a hole or at the very least, a total hankering for a black and white one. 

This one would was very like a winter version of my Hobbs one in monochrome. 

Houndstooth Checked Coat from Autograph £139


image

Also tried on a double breasted pea coat in Topshop.

Double Breasted Pea Coat Topshop £95





image


I have to say I do love a collarless coat - I have three now I think and I love the simplistic look of them.
New Look Check collarless coat £49.99



If you don't want a harsh black and white then this grey version from White Stuff is gorgeous. 

White Stuff Chatsworth Check coat in Greyhound £120



Alternatively - not giving you a sneak peak of my next favourite A/W colour but we haven't looked at a navy one.....

Collection WEEKEND by John Lewis, Check coat in black, grey and navy £165




And if you needed a reminder of the Plumo one I have my heart set on, then here it is.  Although I have just noticed again that it is a cardigan and I definitely don't have one of them..... 

Blanket Cardigan £149




However if you are thinking about trying the look but weren't quite sure, for less than £30, this one is a fantastic idea.   This I think could look a squidillion times more expensive in the flesh.  Total bargain. 

ASOS Throw on Coat in trapeze check was £65 now £28



Seeing as the weather appears to be turning/has turned, I feel totally justified talking coats.  And cardigans.  Have you decided which coat direction you shall be taking this year?  I need to get my navy peacoat out of storage as I have a cunning plan which I think will make it perfect.  

Photos from yesterday - good lord, what a difference a day makes.  Absolutely bucketed it down all day today.  Very much a family day, baked a cake, took the boys to basketball for two hours (they love it, my head still hurts from the reverberations) and The Husband is making steak and chips for dinner - my absolute fave.  Bring on the Strictly and The X Factor - I may not go out again on a Saturday night till Christmas. 
image

Navy and white striped jumper - Pull and Bear
Tan leather skirt - Zara
Navy blazer - Zara
Cheetah print skater shoes - Next 
Camel bag - Prada

This was taken at 2am after getting in from a birthday dinner last night for a dear friend.  Lovely lovely evening.  Obviously I was exceptionally sensible in limiting my consumption of alcohol.  You can tell from my eyes, can't you?  All the class and then some.  This is in my very nearly finished dressing room - next to the wall of shoes.  Not sure I can relay how excited I am about it being nearly finished.

image

Black crepe top - Zara
Black leather skirt - Whistles
Black and tan sandals - Clarks. 

Tomorrow I shall definitely be back with dresses and my second favourite colour of the season.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

29 comentarios:

  1. Wow, M&S have really outdone themselves this season coatwise, even if their sizing has gone to pot! V v jealous of your dressing room - it certainly puts the wardrobe I share with my six year old daughter into the shade ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, you're very kind. It's been a long long long time coming! And yes, M&S are on fire with their coats, if not their sizing. x

      Delete
  2. I like the White Stuff one and I spotted the Plumo one too but it is a cardigan. Looking fab, Kat. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which, in my book, means I can totally justify buying it! x

      Delete
  3. Plumo have 10% off coats until Monday with COATS14, just saying.

    tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fingers in ears, fingers in ears*.... (tbh I may be waiting for a 20% off voucher which they always do at some time!)

      Delete
  4. Like the look of the Topshop coat, just wondered what size you tried on, save me having to order a few sizes. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried on the 12 - was very on the roomy side. Hope that helps

      Delete
  5. Hello Kat
    Love the selection here, particularly the collarless NEw Look coat. Please don't shoot me, but is there any chance of featuring some practical school run type coats. It's impossible to hold my son's hand and his book bag and an umberella so a stylish waterproof coat with a hood would be great. I already have the blue Target Dry Georgina coat but want something else for a change too. Can you help oh stylish one?! In addition, a question for your bloggers, have you all received your Mango orders from the 30% off promo - been over a week since I ordered and still not received?? Anyone else? Think I will ring them tomorrow anyway.
    Thanks Kat
    Debbie x. Ps. Have just treated myself to YSL's new perfume, Opium Black, it is the most delicious smell ever :-). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Yes, no of course you're right and they are on my list of things I must look at (with loathing..!) But no I DO need soemthing waterproof for the Rugby pitch. GAH!

      Nope haven't received my order but last time it was shockingly slow. x

      Delete
    2. Still not received my Mango order....is it stuck in Spain I wonder? Not good enough!

      Delete
    3. Mine took about three weeks last time!

      Delete
    4. Thanks Girls. Pretty poor service by Mango hey, I'll ring them tomorrow. Also, I look forward to (kind of!) seeing your pick of school run coats .....slopes off ...... I won't mention them again or the heavy rain expected all flippin day tomorrow!

      Delete
    5. Not had my mango order, have forgotten what I ordered so will probably end up sending it back now!!

      Delete
    6. Jan - so agree - I only ordered two things and I can't for the life remember what they were. Clearly I REALLY needed them. Not.

      Delete
  6. ...Just love the asos cheap and cheerful check one, will wear it with pointy black top shop ankle boots, denim shirt, roll neck or zara long sleeve T...and jeans!..so excited thank you for the tip, have just pressed buy it now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that sounds like an excellent idea - how you love it. xx

      Delete
  7. I really like check coats. They look lovely on your slim figure, but would they flatter someone who is a bit overweight and not tall? Or will I look like a chess board?

    I am all for people wearing whatever they want but I actually don't want to wear checks if it will be really unflattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest perhaps getting a slimmer fit one - definitely not double breasted one but there's no reason why everyone can't wear checks or print so long as they're the right shape for them! Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, will try one on!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kat

    I was away at the weekend and have just realised the comment from my mobile hasn't shown up, so apols if you think I was being ungrateful for you taking the time to devote this post to me - I am honoured! :)

    So many gorgeous options here - think the Monsoon, John Lewis & White Stuff picks need to be investigated. I'm also feeling quite drawn to this M&S blanket coat, which of course I can't find in-store! http://www.instyle.co.uk/fashion/editors-picks/marks-and-spencer-the-instyle-edit/marks-and-spencer-autumn-winter-2014-18

    If you only blog one element of your refurb I hope it's your new wardrobe - and that the Plumo check number will be hanging in it!

    Thanks again for this post Kat, you're a star.

    Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh yes, I've seen that M&S one around. I had a similar one from Monsoon (actually i think I may have had two...) years ago, so feel I have scratched that itch. Oh and you're more than welcome my love! It's not as if it wasn't something I simply love anyway - definitely the coat of the season for me xxxx

      Delete
  9. Love the Plumo one. Have you seen he check cape in Warehouse? It's gorg. I also just posted on one at Emerson Fry which is lovely, sort of half coat, half cardi. Ps. are the next skate shoes comfortable? And not clumpy? They look great but I want some slim fitting ones....lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next shoes are super comfy. And yes, I've seen the cape but I'm not sure capes are for me this season - up there with things I shall leave for others to perfect! x

      Delete
  10. Primark have a really nice looking pale pink / grey / white check oversized coat for £25. I've walked past it on two separate occasions & admired it but no feedback on fit or feel I'm afraid. Haven't tried it on as I don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds lovely - I've always been really impressed with Primark coats in the past (can't believe I had some fab ones I've not kept. FOOL!

      Delete