Granny Chic

I have a confession to make. 


I'm not sure about the sneakers. The proper sneakers, yes the New Balance ones not the leather pretend tennis style versions I have from last year.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry as I know I have pontificated about how much I love them.  And I do.  Well I did. 

But yesterday?  Dear.  God.  My feet were on fire.  It was warm but it wasn't proper scorchio.  And so I had on my trainer socks (which I actually bought for the 7yr old but kept, as "child's size" my arse - he could have worn them as over the knee socks let alone trainer socks).  I will admit I have tried to wear them a couple of times when it was vaguely mild without socks.  Well.  Whiff.  You realise that is a very bad idea very quickly. 

So the only option (please please do let me know if there is another one) is socks and the trainers.  Which is akin to having a microwave on each foot.  Too.  Hot.  Just way too hot plus I kept getting a glimpse of my socks which I hate - I know that's irrational but I don't have really big feet and these are kids' socks for the love of the lord - should I move into toddler territory?

Combined with this revelation (I did have a quiet weep to myself of course at being a total sheep and and and in my defence I am still loving them with jeans, shirts, sweatshirts and a big coat - they will come back into their own in the Autumn I am sure) and shopping at the weekend and yesterday with two very dear friends, it has led me to explore another shoe option. 

Shoes of the Granny Chic variety.  Second confession of the day - I'm not sure these are me.  But seeing as I am clearly the most fickle individual on the planet (I so need a tee shirt with this on) the chances of me wearing them come June are high.  Maybe even by the weekend.  (she says staring at the skate shoes lurking in the corner.  Fear not, I am still totally obsessed by these but it's been less than a week, there is still time to do a massive U turn.)

But anyway, these two friends are both huge advocates of the Granny Chic Shoe.  They love them and they look amazing on both of them.   And they are super cool chicks as well, this style of shoe just totally works for them. 

One of them had bought the Loretas from a "granny shoe shop" as she called it, in Tunbridge Wells, must to the absolute hilarity of a group of our friends.  To say they went down like a lead balloon is an understatement but I stood in her corner and together we held our ground.

I love them - could I wear them?  Meh, no I'm not sure - I will admit I like a flat or a super high heel but if you're less Gulliver like than me (and both of the friends in question are more diminutive) then a totally flat shoe doesn't always work.

These honestly look great with straight leg jeans rolled up, small boxy cashmere jumper, fitted blazer and oversized scarf.  On the right person.  (which isn't me) 





I also came across these ones whilst trying to find them online and I have to say I like these as well - especially in the black combo. 





However if you didn't want to spend that much and to prove that old lady fashion has hit the high street as well, on pounding the streets today, we found that Dorothy Perkins have some fab ones in.  Now these really aren't everywhere at all, but clearly DPs are loving them.   These are a great entry price if you want to suck them and see (no that's not a false teeth joke... one glass of wine too many eh?)







Coral Block Heel Peep Toe Sandals £25  Now I think the addition of an ankle strap makes all the difference.  Don't ask me why.  I just do.  And I love these. 







Now these are slightly different and perhaps more Young Nana Chic as opposed to full on Granny... 





This is what they look like in real life. 



And in white £25 (they also have a coral pair online) 




If you did want leather then the other ones that my lovely friend tried on at the weekend and I can confirm they do look amazing but they are definitely an investment purchase (however the chances of you having these until you are an actual granny are high so go forth and buy if you love them!) are the block heels from Pretty Ballerinas. 






Moving onto one of the shops that made me first think actually I could perhaps give this look a go.  And it is the Acme of Granny Chic - none other than our very own M&S. 

And they have their own version of the classic heeled court - not in leather but only at £25.00



Ponyskin Ankle Strap Block Heels  £59  I'm absolutely gutted as I had a great photo of these on me from last week but I've since got a new phone and of course the technology that would involve me getting the photos off my old phone (seeing as my laptop has no space on it) actually hurts my head just giving it 5 seconds of brain time.  I am no loss to the world of technology.   These I could wear. 


In pewter metallic  £39.50 also leather 


Navy mix suede also £39.50 (there is also a cobalt pair online as well - Autograph though so at the higher price point)


Now going slightly out on a tangent to a couple of pairs which don't quite follow the same theme as the courts above but do fall under the "I would normally think they're frumpy" umbrella.  Primarily as they're mid heels.  Lots of people love mid heels.  I have usually swerved, especially in a shoe (as opposed to a boot)

I think (actually I know) that the main reason for this is that I'm too tall and I feel like a man in drag in them.  Let me explain.  Men who like to dress up in women's clothing, don't often wear high heels as I assume they're hard to walk in - whatever reason it may be... - ergo being tall and broad of shoulder, when I wear a mid heel I feel like a tranny.  There.  It seems rather ridiculous down on paper but that is the reason. 

However on shopping yesterday with one of the friends, I thought I'd just try these on in Marks (as I was looking for gold ones still but they only had silver.  How I thought they'd suddenly look like gold when I tried them on was clearly beyond me, but hey ho - try them on I did)  And I loved them.  I think I manage to pull off "woman" even with what I have always called a "sensible heel" (and make of that what you will.....)

Sod's law I can't find these online (M&S you are still absolutely pants online for so much.  Oh and whilst we're on the subject of you being utterly rubbish - why oh why oh why do you insist on putting Out Of Stock things up when you have told me that these OOS things never come back into stock.  Annoying much?  YES) 




I then thought, in with a comedy penny in with a pound and tried on a pair of shoes I wouldn't normally have considered in a million years.  Well.  Just goes to show. I actually really like them.  I have to say I'm not entirely convinced I could wear them with a dress and not feel like I was auditioning for Strictly, but with jeans or capri pants - hell I think yes. 


Then we moved on to a shop where again, I have had a love/hate relationship.  Clarks.  Oh I know they've got better and yes, I've bought two pairs of shoes from the last couple of years but honestly I'd be lying if I said I LOVE them.  It's almost as if I'm so excited at finding something that has graced the pages of Grazia, I must buy them (did I mention that I can be a total fashion sheep?)

But it's still very much a shop I haven't fallen in love with and I think there is a very fine line between so many of their products still.  Are those shoes Granny Chic or are they just full on Grandma?  Would Alexa Chung wear them or would Ann Widdecombe?  I'm personally not "cool" enough to know the difference I don't think and actually I think by the time you hit the big 4-0 it can be a slippery slope into the world of Ecco. 

My friend and I did however agree that the brogues are fab (and I do have a soft spot for their Hotel Chic loafers as well - the black ones with ponyskin and patent combi are gorgeous) - a classic that has come firmly back into fashion with they do so so well. 

And an easy way to work out what is cool or not is to team up with a hip Irish lass by the name of Orla Kiely.   You would never think these were Clarks, would you?  For a start, they don't usually do a high heel and this girl is about 2 minutes away from a nose bleed. 




Now I'm not going to lie, as cool and trendy and as lapped up by the fashion press as these may have been, they are not for me.  As you can see.... here I am making good shoes look potentially (ok pretty much definitively) very bad. 

Here, not looking "too" bad....



Dear. God. 

Untitled 
  

Needless to say I can see what they are trying to achieve - but I have to say it's taking Granny Chic, for me just that little bit too far. 

But there definitely is mileage in this.  For sure with the mid heel as opposed to the block heel for me I think.  Let the quest begin for a gold mid heel pair begin (I am going to ignore the fact that I should have bought the KG ones when there was the 25% off as they were the "wrong gold"  Yes folks, it's going to be like that......) 

So here I am yesterday.  Over the trainers.   Don't know when they'll be coming again.  


Silk shirt - Zara
Boucle cream jacket - Massimo Dutti 
Baxter jeans - Topshop
Gold antelope mini charm necklace - Bill Skinner
New Balance Trainers
Whisky Medium Marcie satchel - Chloe 

Not sure what happened with the sun today - could have worn my boiling hot trainers though.  Typical or what?!  

Share this:

CONVERSATION

48 comentarios:

  1. I feel your pain. I was also in socks yesterday, it was unbearable. I fear the only other option may be some kind of 'odour eater' insole...(I know, boak at the very thought) which is probably not something anybody wants to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you still buy these? Do they work? But do they actually stop the (sorry) sweaty feeling? Oh lord I'm so sorry for lowering the tone!

      Delete
  2. Firstly, how on earth do you get turn ups so deep and being so tall. I'm jealous. I like the little block heel shoes but like you have always passed on the mid-heel, I mean If you're going to wear heels, you may as well wear huge ones!! I do quite like those white ones though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA! They are ancient Baxters from Topshop which are from the Tall Range so a 36 inside leg. et voila! Am beyond pleased to get them out of the wardrobe again.

      Delete
  3. Love the silver shoes Kat, might have to invest in a pair :)
    I. Regard to socks with trainers, I have discovered that Converse socks don't show when worn as they sit lower on the foot. They are, however, just as thick so wouldn't overcome the hot feet issue. Only other thing I can think of are little footlets which you can buy in many places, Primark being one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be heading to Primark - I need those footlet thingies, thanks chick xxxx

      Delete
  4. You need footsies! Those funny little stockinglike teeny tiny sock things. And they don't show up in your trainers. I know because I can't stand to see socks showing over trainers so I bought a few pairs. Very thin, very light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh god do you know what, I nearly bought them in John Lewis but they were A FIVER FOR TWO pairs. So I went & bought kids socks which were a fiver for FIVE pairs. Bugger. Do they sell them in Primark?...... This is exactly what I need. I think though that I have been put off them for life. (well, Summer anyway)

      Delete
  5. Kat ... Kat Kat Kat Kat - no no no no no the Orla Keily Collection is horrible - it's grim on and off the foot - sorry!
    Buy those white tbar beauties as they are a insert len goodman voice 'severrrrrrn'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I know they are SO SO not me. I actually can see their appeal off the foot but on? Dear lord they did me no favours. Like I say though, if you were Alexa...

      The White ones are SO you too!

      Delete

    2. This is a nice post in an interesting line of content, great way of bring this topic to discussion.
      Servizio di miglioramento della casa

      Delete
  6. Loved this post ... probably because you've joined me on the 'I don't like trainers' bench! Welcome xx And so excited to see you giving the thumbs up to the little granny chic shoe. Being a short arse, I just look Lilliputian in ballet flats (as much as I love them on others) so whee! Little heels, here I come (I'm with you on the OK shoes .. I liked them on the shelf, but on me?? Hmmmmm)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But more importantly, have you come over to the Skate Dark Side???

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your Dotty P dress tip from BHS, mine arrived today...absolutely delighted, looks much more expensive than it is. Can't wait to wear it to a wedding and Disneyland Paris this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh excellent! The navy neoprene one? So pleased xxx

      Delete
    2. Yes, that one. It sits beautifully and flares nicely when you walk. I just wish it came in other colours, I'd have got more! As you have saved me so much money, I might need a new piece of Stella and Dot to go with ;) xxx

      Delete
    3. oh that is SUCH a lovely thing to read - makes it all worthwhile - so so pleased you like it. (how tall are you... it's not going to work on someone 5f 10 is it? )

      Delete
    4. I'm just under 5ft9, but have hilariously short legs (28 inch inside leg) and am quite curvy and it sits just on my knee . I'd definitely consider ordering one just to satisfy your curiosity. It looks much more expensive than it is and is well made. I ordered 2 sizes as am between 12 and 14, and the 12 fitted perfectly, so I would argue their sizing is on the generous side.

      Delete
    5. aha that's v interesting so you must be longer in the body then? This is what I usually struggle with - everything is just too short in the body and the waist sits somewhere just under my (non existent) boots. I may order to scratch the itch. Thank you xxx

      Delete
    6. Yes long bodied...can't wear leotards, strapless dresses, onesies....although the waist sits a little higher than it probably should, it's not at boob shelf level and it doesn't really show because of the flare of the skirt. I'm delighted, just sorry I will have to wait a while to wear it out xxx

      Delete
  8. Try moving north... Deffo not too hot for trainers and socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair -could SO have worn them today! Maybe they'll get an extra week.....

      Delete
  9. Tea tree oil rubbed on your bare feet stops your shoes going smelly - it's the antibacterial properties it has. Means I have ballet shoes which last more that a couple of months before they have to be fumigated/chucked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am LOVING this idea. Thank you xx (I'm not sure it would work for the sweaty aspect though.. but for my less hot shoes I shall be stealing this tip xx)

      Delete
  10. I am a martyr to my feet. No matter if shoes are high, low or flip flops, I get blisters or pain. I so wish I could find comfy, good looking shoes :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no that sounds awful, you poor poor thing. I don't know what to suggest - I'm assuming you've tried all different sorts?

      Delete
  11. My feet always get beaten up at the start of the heat here - I try to wear courts but I always end up with blisters and bleeding heels - bad look. I've since reluctantly decided that flat sandals are the only way ahead - hence my new love for the Avarcas...I did order the M&S silver heeled shoe btw a while ago - lovely shoe - but I ordered it half a size small damnit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god don't everybody's? That first day of no socks and a new pair of shoes - I always have the start of a blister. Cover it up, carry on wearing the shoes and hey presto within a week they're fine. No pain no gain Joanna. Are the Avarcas those eye bleaching sandal thingies? You FOOL for ordering them too small but tbh I would complain as M&S sizing is properly crap. Seriously seriously crap.

      Delete
  12. I also find trainers too hot in summer. I do have some great anklet socklets from Gap that do the trick.I also find anything non-leather hard to wear. So in summer I mostly wear flat leather sandals, heeled leather sandals....I'm heading into autumn in the Southern Hemisphere so I am just starting to wear ankle boots, trainers, converse etc..

    The trend over the last couple of seasons has been more towards a covered shoe (summer boots, loafers, brogues) but I just can't really make them work in summer..And since they also are more unflattering on my muscular legs I am sticking to what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A covered shoe IS too hot when it's super warm you're absolutely right. I need to do another sandal blog... flat sandals for sure...

      Delete
  13. I wear little no-show socks with my sneakers, you can only maybe see a tiny sliver of the sock now and then. When it's super hot, I either ditch the sneakers or I wear shorts or shorter skirts to stay cool.

    My fave pair are the M&S low heel court shoes, they remind me of J.Crew's Janey flats. I also like the silver pumps and the white T-straps that you tried on in-store. The rest are a no-go for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent idea, thank you. Handily it rarely gets super super hot here!

      Delete
  14. I love the pointy toe versions - think they look more modern...as for trainers I love mine but all shoes have a certain time when you can wear them, skate shoes will also get too hot (hopefully) I love mine but only wear them when it's not raining or too hot so don't give up on them just wear them on the right days! If you know what I mean. Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right - but you know when you wear something and it's not right and it totally puts you off them! x

      Delete
  15. I'm with you on the block heel. However really love the white T bar shoes, I don't normally like white shoes, but seriously considering tracking these down
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so so much better than I thought they would be. I may also need a white bag then. Good lord. x

      Delete
  16. This made me laugh. I am so unbelievably fickle. At the start of the season I was totally against sneakers (as opposed to trainers - somehow makes them sound so much better!), granny shoes and skate shoes (I was most vehemently against these). Fast forward a mere matter of weeks and I have the sneakers (although not worn them yet because I am still not sure and it is also still freeeeeeeezing here so no problem with hot feet!), have the M&S ponyskin leopard print shoes you feature above (justified on grounds of I would never wear them with a dress/skirt) and i have the Topshop skate shoes and am waiting for the Next sale ones to arrive although they keep delaying them. Quite, quite pathetic but glad I am not alone. I am still absolutely not doing the mid heel thing though . . . Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah right... you are a lady after my own heart. And hell, if you can't change your mind at our age and eat a whole shed load of "i told you so's" when can you!

      Delete
    2. Indeed. Sad thing is even as I was saying I hated the skate shoes I was already searching the internet to find them! x

      Delete
  17. They will be burying me in a box in Skate shoes, fear not. I would wear them every day if I could and I may just do that! I LOVE themx

    ReplyDelete
  18. With the socks, definitely get the really thin ones - then you don't feel them/see them on your feet. And put talc on your feet first as it really helps with the sweat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all these suggestions thank you so much. The talc is genius! Thank you xx

      Delete
  19. Loving the blog and feel quite good at being on trend most of the time given my age (same as yours). But please help, just been invited to a posh 'beach party' but in north Englandshire. What does one wear, I was all set to splurge on a gorgeous dress then the invite arrived with 'beach party' emblazoned across the top. FFS we are 40 - what can I wear? Secretly thinking a hush t dress and sneaker shoes and just chuck on a hippanema bracelet?? Would that do? All suggestions gratefully accepted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well too randomly I've just been doing a blog on jumpsuits and was saving this one for another one later but I LOVE this and think it would be absolutely perfect for a beach party dress code.

      http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Feather-Print-Plunge-Beach-Jumpsuit/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3872105&cid=15165&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=-1&clr=Feather+print

      Delete
    2. Thank you! That is an idea I had not considered - I shall investigate. I'm basically your shape/size. For your information, I have a black all in one/jumpsuit and love it - it's my slightly edgier version of a LBD. Given my height it took some time finding it but to my surprise M&S autograph came up with the goods. It's 4 years old and doesn't owe me a thing! Good luck, keep blogging! x

      Delete
  20. LOL @ Nana chic!! You can get 'footsies' in M&S, Boots etc which are like little slipper socks made of lovely flesh coloured tight/pop sock nylon material & they are thinner & much nicer to wear than trainer socks! I hate the warm tight feeling that socks with trainers give you & have worn proper socks for years! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  21. This blog is very well written and I appreciate your efforts.. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This blog is very well written and I appreciate your efforts.. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete