So it seems it's just shoes that are being elusive...


....as after my pretty futile shoe search yesterday unfolded, it appeared that there are a plethora of gorgeous dresses everywhere I look.  Hurrah!  Apart from the fact I don't really need a dress this year.  At the moment I only have a handful of super smart/glam occasions on the horizon, which can be covered by the dresses I accrued last year.  As you can imagine, it is with a heavy heart that I admit this. 

However "just in case" it would be rude not to have a look and you never know what I might be able to justify.  Always worth having the research done as randomly, dresses do seem to be available all season and don't sell out or disappear at the same ridiculous speed that shoes seem to. 

There is always, of course, the possibility (especially if you are a reader of the Daily Fail or the Daily Express - may I please point out I am not but cannot help but see their ludicrous headlines in the gym cafe as I charge to a class - or have a coffee.....) that we are in for a heatwave this month/summer and my legs will be seeing more sun than they have ever done previously in my adulthood.  Some of these dresses for the day with sneaker style thingymajigs (that's what I've resorted to calling all canvas footwear) or sandals may be called on to bolster the wardrobe.

As I would normally wear the handful of dresses I have on the odd occasion I would sport a frock during the day, I will need a bigger repertoire to get me through both day and night.  Et voila - I have already managed to justify a couple of purchases, so let the shopping begin. 

Not on the high street but handily yesterday I got through an email with a host of new arrivals from Boden.  I had wondered where some of the ones I saw at the Press Day were and here they are.   Starting with my faves of the whole lot (apart from the shorts - I must must must do a shorts blog especially now that I've summised it's going to be tropical from May to September)

Retro Pocket Dress from Boden £89.  Unfortunately they don't do this in a Petite but they do a Long version.  So I'm alright, Jack. (how lovely would this one look with Marc Jacobs necklace.....?)

I also like the fact it's different from the shift dresses which I have been favouring - it's a variation on a theme, for sure, but the appearance of a waist is perfect for those of us who are planks.




Love the Print Version in two colours.  Last year I tried on a Raoul dress which was the same fabric (fab fabric as it doesn't crease nearly as much as other cotton) and a similar vintage print.  Could I get away with this for 70's dinner party in May, I wonder?










Another waisted dress which would work as there are a) no ties and b) it's a false cross over is the Cimpa Jersey Dress from By Malene Birger.  At £149 it's more expensive than a lot of jersey out there but considering how versatile this dress is, cost per wear, it would pay for itself very shortly. 

Cimpa Jersey Dress £145  An unusual shade of green if someone is looking for something different.



Another super flattering dress is this from Oasis and again in a green shade. 





This is it in the bright orange which is the one that caught my eye in Oasis.  The pic here really doesn't do it justice.  It's the most gorgeous vibrant coral - maybe the iphone pic gives you a better idea? 


image


Another waist illusion super flattering dress is this from M&S.  Had a good feel of this yesterday - lovely drapey jersey - no crease, would wash like a dream.  Amazing price for a dress which you could actually wear to a wedding. 





image


But back to a couple of beloved shifts as they are so easy to wear and hide a multitude of sins for most.  And this one could easily be mistaken for a DVF tunic. 



image


And moving to Whistles for inspiration clearly.  This reminds me of the leaf print shirt dress I have from last year.  Except this one goes in the machine and doesn't cost nearly £100 in the sale. 


Ok don't laugh, I promise you this is the same dress and it is a gazillion times better in the flesh ie not like this.  Keep the top button undone. 


image



Pure Cotton Woven Striped Shift Dress £65 (there are pockets - oh yes) M&S  This one would look great with sandals.  Or back to the sneakers.  So wearable for so many occasions. 



image


Went into River Island yesterday and as per usual they had a couple of gems (amongst a large amount of age inappropriate tat of course) 







White Floral Print Embroidered Shift Dress from River island £30  If yellow is perhaps a bit too much, this one would be lovely with a pink, white or black blazer over it.  




We're all about the print and this is the gorgeous dress version of the skirt I featured a while ago. 



And speaking of dress versions of separates, the Mint Velvet circle separates are available in a dress. 




Or in the Ivory  I do love the little detail at the side which makes it less boxy as a tunic dress.



But if we're talking dresses from Mint Velvet, then call off the dogs as their new ones in are totally stunning. 





And a black  I like the idea of softening the black for Summer with nude strappy sandals and a matching nude clutch.  


Another cape top style is available at Mint Velvet.  This one I think is fab for the summer if you do like the look of a cami topped dress but gravity means they perhaps don't like you so much any more (clearly I am talking about myself here - skin stretched over bone like a bongo drum would be a good description of my lack of cleavage) 

This crochet top gives the hint of flesh without baring it to the public.  All rather clever. 

Blush Lace Top Dress from Mint Velvet. £119   Nice with heels but I think this would look fab with some flat gladiator sandals. 

















Finishing with a couple of "dresses" which aren't really dresses but are the genius skirt and top combo that is actually far more useful in a wardrobe than one dress. 

This at the Boden Press Day along with the retro dress and the shorts was the stand out piece.  Reminded me so much of the lime By Malene Birger top and skirt from last year at a fraction of the price.  Plus it comes in navy and pink as well. 















And in navy - showing that you can mix and match.  Not for me - matchy matchy if you please.  Although above with the floral trews is excellent but that's totally different so it's ok.



River Island have also done a matching skirt and top which again is embroidered/slightly appliqued floral.  Different shape skirt though - a lovely full one. 

Black 3D flower midi skirt £50  yes that's a much better description.  The flowers are actually stitched on.  This looks like a designer piece - I guarantee no-one would know this was from River island.  So long as they have neither seen it in RI or read the blog.  Your chances are good. 




Not sure you can see from this detail but it's too layers - a nude back layer with a top layer over it.








image


Rubbish angle to this photo but the skirt is longer than it looks in this pic. They are honestly so so lovely together - and very useful apart too. 

And there was so so many more amazing things I saw, I may do a round up of the hottest picks on the high street tomorrow.  Before or after I tackle the Mid Heel Shoe.  Not of the block heel variety.  Not of the almond toe variety.  I was ruthless. 

I am now off to the theatre with the 9yr old and her friend - Hetty Feather in Kingston here we come.  She won tickets from the Jacqueline Wilson mag and gets to meet the lady herself.  She is simply too excited! 

So here's my outfit for the theatre and dinner. 
Untitled Untitled

Black double zip jeans - Mint Velvet
Black and tan striped top - Vero Moda
Black and tan quilted leather jacket - Massimo Dutti
Stone suede Oxford Brogues - Seven Boot Lane
Stone Maxi zip satchel - Anya Hindmarch

See you tomorrow.  Three days into half term - are we all surviving? 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

21 comentarios:

  1. Stop confusing me with the early blogging! Love the Boden two pieces but sadly I can't wear skirts. Also loving the Mint Velvet dresses but I still can't really find anything for the wedding with a decent price tag - gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG have you still not got anything for the wedding?! When is it, dare I ask?.... Any options at all??

      Delete
  2. I adore the Mint Velvet dresses and unusual for me, I black is my favourite probably because it's not as harsh as a true black. Enjoy the theatre xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's not a solid block black so it's less harsh, isn't it? I think it's so so useful although it is particularly stunning in the blush if I'm honest. We had a fab time thank you xxx

      Delete
  3. Wishing I had a reason to buy a dress now! Love love love the mint velvet one. Have a great time at the theatre....my kids are in school still! They don't finish until Monday afternoon!! Random but I'm not complaining!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mint velvet ones are gorgeous aren't they? And no I can't justify one either. All parties I have are with totally different groups of people so I can wear the same dress to all of them. DARN IT! And I will be gloating when mine go back and yours are still off!! xx

      Delete
  4. I like the stripey top too, is it current season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No so sorry, it's two years old I think. A total impulse sales purchase which I should perhaps wear more than I do! xx

      Delete
  5. Kat I'm not a big dress (or skirt) wearer anymore but those Mint Velvet dresses are gorgeous and those Boden lacy numbers.And that River Island tank top is amazing - would go with my black skinnies - see back to jeans again and not much imagination these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The RI top is just exquisite it really is and the Boden ones are probably my fave. Love a skirt and a top combo xxxx

      Delete
  6. Love your black and tan stripey top ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be very popular!! Thank you xx

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. And there are actually loads I didn't put on that I've found on my phone. Will have to Edit two! x

      Delete
  8. HA! No this top is about two years old from ASOS in the sale. WAs about £15. This is randomly the sort of impulse purchase that I had sworn off buying as I so rarely rarely wear it. But it was useful yesterday and I love it with the shoes and jacket. Thank you darling xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. First comment here but I've been following your blog for a while now via bloglovin' and just wanted to say how much I enjoy both your style roundups and your own personal style. Some lovely dresses here and I love the top and skirt from RI, I quite agree with what you have to say on it too. Hope your daughter enjoyed meeting JW, mine (now 21!) loved her books when she was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much what a lovely comment to read. JW was amazing - so so amazing. I can't believe she's on her 100th book!!

      Delete
  10. Love seeing a brighter photograph after the gloom of the past 5 months
    Nice dress choices - I do love a good dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that may have more to do with my new iphone... Welcome to the 21st century Kat. xx

      Delete
  11. Little one breaks up today. She is off for 26 days! wtf or that should read WTF. I am still waiting for my Mango dresses to arrive ( getting bored now ) but I really am going wear dresses this year. Great selection here Kat. I love your' Vero Moda striped top, is it new? H xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god have they not arrived yet? I SO got to grips with dresses last year but am determined to do skirts this year... (she says... yeah right....) And no, top is a couple of years old sorry love. (26 days DEAR GOD!!! does that include weekends?!) xx

      Delete