Inspiration comes from the strangest of places.

Now I'm not going to say this is a real selling point to be honest but bear with me and we'll get there. 

Today, inspiration has come from the same shopping trip that spurred the Granny Chic shoe thread from yesterday.  After shoe shopping we moved onto 70s fancy dress.  (oh don't all stop reading now - it gets better I promise) 

Well, not fancy dress per se but something that would work as a tribute to the 70's for a dinner party.  Now handily I am also going to a 70's themed dinner in May (it may or not be with the same person and no she's not a total 70's Queen..) and even though I have been assured it's not fancy dress (which I hate.  Properly properly loathe with a passion), a nod in ones attire may be appreciated. 

Lo and behold, what did we come across as we mooched round the shops on our very half hearted mission (even the lure of being able to buy something new didn't seem to work), but......total inspiration. 

Et voila, the jumpsuit! 

It was this little baby from Dorothy Perkins 

Green Banana Leaf Jumpsuit. £35

With some chunky wedge sandals, this (some would lurid, I like to say summery...) print combined with a disco chic jumpsuit, has the 70's vibe totally covered. 





And it made me remember that I have a black one which I got last year from a Taylor Stephens fashion show that I love.  I may have only worn it once but it was to a First Holy Communion party and it was the perfect compromise for a June day that wasn't the warmest at all.   

Ok so I'm clearly not selling it very well seeing how I've gone from 70's theme dress to a formal First Holy Communion party in about three seconds, but that's the joy of the jumpsuit.  They are so so versatile. Ideal for an evening event with heels but just as useful for the day with a little biker jacket or fitted blazer, even a denim jacket and flat sandals or glads.

I bought my first four years ago from By Malene Birger and remember being vaguely ridiculed for it (not to my face but I know my bessie mates v well and they were rolling their eyes behind my back as I trotted out yet another vaguely random item - this being hot on the heels of my harems and my wedge trainers.  And to be fair it was khaki leopard print, harem and bandeau - 3rd baby hormones had a lot to answer for. ).  But they're all the rage now and certainly no longer considered a risque little number anymore.  One of the main indications for this is that they have their own little section on most of the fashion retailers websites.  You don't have to play hunt the jumpsuit under the headings trousers or dresses anymore. (I appreciate I'm the only person who used to do this...I should so get out more) 

In fact, going back to my By Malene Birger roots, there is a classic of a jumpsuit - a version of which they bring out every year.  And of course now I'd like one in navy (that they did last year.  And they don't do this year. Ugh.)

The Uminni Jersey Jumpsuit £149






Have to say i quite like the brown (or James Brown as they call it.  Those Danes...)  This is a similar colour to the Whistles silk dress I have that I wore for the 9yr old's First Holy Communion last year.  It's a much softer colour than black and looks amazing with snakeskin or nude accessories.  Or gold... ooooh gold (can you see where I'm heading with this...shoes.......) 

Uminni Jersey Jumpsuit in James Brown £165




There is a simpler number to be found at FCUK.  This is much more along the lines of the black (cheapo) one I have - sleeveless and faux cross over.  For me, definitely the most flattering although this one is "rather" low cut.. Perfect for wearing a vest under though - could always add one in a contrasting colour.  

Marie V-Neck Jersey Jumpsuit £125



Love the Tuxedo version.  Very Bianca Jagger, no?  Could do for the 70's party and then some. 

Mango Tailored Tuxedo Jumpsuit  now only £48.50 (I think you can use the code MORE10 for an extra 10% off this one actually) 



From Mango again, this time slightly less formal.  

Mango Sleeveless Full length Jumpsuit £59.99



Another classic black one which would take you right through to the Christmas season actually (just add bling) is this from ASOS. 

ASOS Jumpsuit with tie waist £50



Moving onto wide legs now and this from Coast is gorgeous.  Would be perfect to stash away for Winter as well - the gold detailing at the back is all you need for that extra party bling and it's in the mid season sale.  If you're a size 6 you're in luck as it's £69.  Size 8 up to a size 16 and we all have to pay £89.  Still more palatable than the original price of £115.  I have it on good authority that the sizing on this runs big so there may be some who can take advantage of the £69 diddy one. 

Idris Jumpsuit from Coast








Gorgeous detailing at the back in both the drape and the chain. 




Straight from The Good Life is this jumpsuit which probably looks more like a dress on with its wide palazzo pant legs. I love these on shorter people like the Olsen Twins who always wear things like this with huge platform wedges and massive sunnies.  Looks so amazing. If you are taller, I'd make sure that the trouser legs just touch the ground and wear with flat summer sandals. 


Pretty Floral Patchwork Jumpsuit £65 from Warehouse 



What can I say - it's as if this one was made for the mission in hand...

Phase Eight Paisley Jumpsuit £99 in navy/stone




Another fabulously Margo number is this one we found at Topshop. 

Floral Print Jumpsuit £55



Print one from Mint Velvet. This screams to me - add biker jacket.  (like I need an excuse to ogle over biker jackets) 

Cara Print jumpsuit £89




Chambray is a great 70's fabric but still a great summer light denim option.  I will admit this is perhaps one buckle away from Charlene in mechanic stylee but I think could be a great summer staple. 

Mango Tencel Long Jumpsuit £59.99







Now it is horses for courses but I personally prefer the ones that are ruched at the bottom.  Why?  For me, I think it is because I'm tall and the tapered cigarette leg that lots of them do have sit half mast.  I think they look great when they're slightly too long and there's a bit of extra fabric pooling at the bottom of the trouser leg (like in the pic above) as opposed to swinging round the ankle in a "your trousers are too short" crappy fashion statement. 

And speaking of Tall, I have come across this one at ASOS which is for us tallies.  Oh if I didn't have one already.. (this is actually practically identical to mine) 

Paper Dolls Tall Jumpsuit £65




This is gorgeous print - yes its rather in your face but it would tick a 70s wallpaper style print.   And I love it styled with a blazer.

Maison Scotch African Print Jumpsuit £140






Now this isn't for the party but I have to say I'm rather drawn to it.  And that's even with the shoes on.... (oh yes, I shall be talking about the elephant in the room soon).  And you'd have to wear a strapless bra which is complete impractical for every day for me.  But I do like it.....

Sporty Mesh T-shirt Jumpsuit £38 from Topshop




This is great for everyday from Warehouse. Apparently this is "brown". (okaaay) 

Brown Utility Jumpsuit £58





Finishing with the ultimate in 70's disco.  I would have to be so beyond drunk to leave the house in this, I can't tell you - I fear I may be the wrong side of 40 to be considering this (oh and can I please point out I am NOT considering it in any way shape or form)  But how amazing is it?  

Spectacular Sparkle Jumpsuit  £180 from FCUK



A couple of things which I have glossed over.  Firstly, the issue of "is it a onesie, is it a playsuit..?"  Well funnily enough there is no Oxford Dictionary definition of this but my take on it would be that a onesie is a great big loose babygro and a jumpsuit has a marked waist - either by elastic, drawstring or a belt.  Clear as mud?

And secondly, you may or may not have noticed that under the Jumpsuit heading is also "Playsuits"... I am going to shelve this idea for the moment and revisit it another time.  Possibly after wine.  Definitely after a tan. 

Finishing with outfits from yesterday and today.  So I may be having a "trainers you can do one" moment but there is no such humble pie quaffing when it comes to the Skate Shoes.  Totally feeling the love.  Great birthday lunch at a new pub nearby (Kings Head in Bessels Green for any locals  - v nice.  Full of v old people.  Even older than us) for a friend's birthday. 



image

White vest - H&M
Grey tee - H&M
Grey tie dye jeans  - Sandro
Black tuxedo blazer - Topshop
Black Skate Shoes - Next
Black Diego bag - Alexander Wang

And today for gym, work and then hospital appt all afternoon with the 9yr old who, after almost five very very long years finally has no longer to daily wear her eye patch. I am so proud of her - she's gone with her dodgy eye from being to literally only read the first massive letter on the chart to now being able to read most of the 4th line from the bottom.  It's been such a hard slog for her, it really has (and me.... I had to make her wear it and boy did she resent me for it) but we got there!  New Disney Classic Animation book for her (that's what she wants to be - an animator!).  Small tear from mum. 

I then proceeded to declutter the playroom which ended up in 10 binbags to go and 2 boxes to stay.  Oh the satisfaction.  Doing The Wardrobe tomorrow... And deep breath.....

image


Paisley blouse - Zara
Charcoal Baxters - Topshop
Midnight boucle blazer - Zara
Black WildKat leopard print ballet pumps - The British Flat Shoe Company
Large dial white face tan watch - Olivia Burton
Tan cuff - Mulberry
Gold Chain bracelet - Made from Whistles
Charelle bag in grey - Whistles 

Fear not I haven't forgotten about my monthly challenge.  I shall hope to do a small round up tomorrow as I have a totally hectic day (ie I'm getting my hair done...)  And I may be off to pick up item number 1 (ok 2...) on April's list...  Is anyone else joining in? 


Share this:

CONVERSATION

33 comentarios:

  1. Never mind the jumpsuits. Ten binbafs from the playroom? Amazing. Wel jel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the toys. They simply do not play with them ever. They draw or play outside. So they all went. I can't tell you how good it feels!

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love the look of jumpsuits. However, I will never ever buy one as I have a morbid fear of dropping the top bit down the loo after one too many. Plus the fact you have to be half undressed when going to aforementioned convenience.
    I probably need to live a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh that's my problem with jumpsuits ( and I'm teetotal!) the toilet bother :(

      Delete
    2. ha ha ha yes that is a problem. And it's a bit chilly, there is that. I wouldn't wear one every day but I do love them as an alternative. x

      Delete
  3. Love your zara blouse, is that recent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sorry - got it in the sale last January. x

      Delete
  4. Love the mango and coast ones! What shoe category on the next website are the skate shoes in? I can't find them and I MUST have them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - I couldn't find them either - have now found the black ones- unfortunately leopard no longer in my size :(

      Delete
    2. Just ordered the black pair from next and leopard from asos -you're a star!

      Delete
    3. YAY! thank you Carol. They are so so so worth it xx

      Delete
  5. Back in January I purchased in the sale I hasten to add a denim jumpsuit. It might even be called a boilersuit. I saw the same one in Vogue. On someone 30 years my junior. My girls think it looks good. Believe me they would say. But I am still fearful of the potential ridicule that I haven't yet worn it in public. So I need more people to purchase one too so that it's mainstream and then no one is going to bat an eyelid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh come on I bet it looks great. At the very least you can wear a jacket over it to begin with? I think with these things the trick is to look like the most confident person in the world in it. x

      Delete
  6. Please please do a black leather biker jacket post! I am starting to completely obsess over them recently- and this morning Laura car-something from downton was featured wearing one over a Gucci dress which I've already been king google'ing madly to try and find out who's it by! V in SF X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been papping some leather jackets already - blog on the way! xx

      Delete
  7. Well done to your very brave eye patch wearer. My littlest currently has to wear a patch but only for 15 minutes a day and even that's a struggle. Took her for a routine test and we were horrified that she could only read the huge letters. To our shame we initially thought she was joking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were the same when we took her at 5 for her test and she could only read the large Letter! She used to have to be patched for four hours a day but they got it down to one hour three times a week. Still v hard but so so so so worth it now and she knows that. Good luckxxxx

      Delete
  8. I love a jumpsuit, and am now kinda liking denim boiler suits....I love the mango one I am all for a bit of Charlene in the late 80s! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA you're on your own there. (knowing full well I'll be head to foot in denim come September.!)

      Delete
  9. I'm such a massive fan of the jumpsuit! Well done to your little girl
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much xxx (and for all your lovely comments always xxxx)

      Delete
  10. Great blog - loving the patterned onesies. Good luck with the wardrobe decluttering. What do you do with unwanted items - charity shops??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that sort of hasn't happened yet..! On the list to do this week. Charity shops, friends and then i'm planning on selling some - watch this space.... (which I know I said before but didn't get round to doing. GAH)

      Delete
  11. FABULOUS news for H!!! I LOVE a jumpsuit - as you well know - absolutely NEED the Mint Velvet one - do you think they'll send me a free one?;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA ha ha. Mint Velvet don't send anything free ever I don't think! But their clothes are getting better and better by the season x

      Delete
  12. Oh so, so pleased for H xx And kinda' loving the Mango tux jumpsuit ... but I'd need to try it on first. Might just be worth dragging myself to the other side of the city where our one and only Mango is based! Btw, got my skater shoes (Clarks) ... brought them home ... showed them to a pal .. and she HATED them!!!! Don't care - still love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have commented on your blog darling, I LOVE the shoes. And I think that tux is last season's... Although they do have some great ones still at Mango. x

      Delete
  13. Well done to your brave DD - sounds awful for her. I bought my first jumpsuit about 2 weeks ago (black cross over, harem style, gathered leg- cheap as chips from boohoo) and have hardly worn anything else since - I love it!! I've worn it dressed up for a night outt with gladiator 4 inch heels, dressed down with a slouchy grey batwing t shirt underneath and pirate boots (very all saints!).
    Ooooh, please blog about your wardrobe cull - would love to hear all the details. Also, where is the beauty blog you promised a while back? Not forgotten! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, I am putting together a beauty one (just found a new perfume which I LOVE!). I'm going to cull the wardrobe but will blog on my new dressing room when it arrives... !

      Delete
    2. May have just turned green with envy - dressing room! How exciting. Oooh lots and lots of piccies please I'm picturing rows of gorgeous shoes on display. Tell your builders to hurry up lol!

      Delete
  14. You're more than welcome. Yes, I will definitely be looking at shorts and I kow about the boden ones - everything is selling out there at the moment. Darn it. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've finally got with the program and ordered a Mango black jumpsuit.....fingers crossed it works out for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon you'll look amazing in it. xxx

      Delete