Don't all laugh at once

A friend did actually joke yesterday that I should change the title of my blog to "Does my bum look fickle in this?" as the rate at which I am about facing from saying something is utterly grim to wanting them in every colour has reached epic proportions. 

I fear I may be having a mid life crisis.  I already have a tattoo (pathetically small and woeful and done at the age of 23), I'm too much of a wuss to have anything else pierced and... errr.... what else do women do when they're having a mid life crisis?

Oh yes, I know.  Say they dislike something very fashionable and then five minutes later, extoll the virtues of said hideous item from the rooftops.  Fickle, oh yes.  Does anyone die?  No. (well apart from my the 9yr old - apparently from embarrassment.) 

So all in all the only thing that is at stake here is my sanity and hell, I'm pretty sure that was questionable anyway, so in we go. 

The Fugly Sandal.  Except that I don't think it's really that fugly anymore. 

This, like the two previous items of footwear this year that I have barfed at and then bought, I have researched with the intention of blogging and saying how I disliked them intensely and whilst I thought other people could rock them, I would be sticking with my dainty ankle strap/thong/thin sole leather numbers, thank you very much. 

Except I clearly have an innate ability to convince myself that the more I look at something, the better it becomes.  Well, with footwear anyway. 

I think it's pretty easily summed up to be fair.  Basically I start with an item that seems totally alien to me (each of the aforementioned pieces of footwear for a start).  And I hunt them out in magazines, online, I look at them in shops and I try them on.  

And before I know it, what had seemed the height of oddness, suddenly becomes much more familiar.  The gorgeous people I see in print, online and in real life seem impossibly cool and glamorous in said grim item. 

Like I would be (I said don't all laugh), if I were to buy a pair.  For sure.  No?  

Mid

Life

Crisis (she says whilst typing wearing a pair of leopard print skate shoes that have barely left her feet since she bought them) 

If all I have to lose is my credibility and £30odd, then I'm going in.  At the (high) risk of being ridiculed, I may be about to embark on a fugly sandal search.  Seeing as my usual tan sandal quest wasn't the most successful for me - there are some lovely ones out there but none of them floated my boat and I think I now know why.  My head had been turned. 

The one thing in my favour is my skate shoe experience.  Which has been amazing.  I have just had a coffee with one of my closest friends who, when I said I was getting them a couple of weeks ago, guffawed, ridiculed and sneered.  Today she fessed up, hoovered in a massive dose of humble pie and said she was going to get some.  HA!  I then proceeded to launch into my new found crush on the sandal - much eye rolling, followed by an admission that she's sure she'll end up with a pair come half term.  

Let the eye rolling continue en masse with my first foray into the world of the fugly sandal.  Can I please point out that we are very much on a suck it and see venture right now - but I have (faintly ridiculous) high hopes.....

Ok so starting with these from Zara.  I took this photo in an attempt to show how utterly foolish these monstrosities were.  But ummm, I quite liked them.  Now I do not want pink, of that I am sure.  Totally sure.  And I'm positive that there will be many of you that still think these yack. 

Color Bio Sandal from Zara £29.99  These are actually the size too big for me. 






image

And these which are a size too small.  Felt like blooming Goldilocks trying on shoes. 

Which I obviously can't find online but I have to say, I didn't mind them.  I didn't go a massive bundle on the white sole but expecting them to be joke funny on, I honestly (mid life crisis clearly kicking in) thought they weren't too bad. 


image

Even these from River Island which I thought would be verging on Lazy Town tastic - whilst I won't be buying them, didn't make me want to throw up. 

I genuinely think they look a shed load worse on the shelf and on a footless pic. 



image

I am absolutely positive there are loads of you now shaking you head and reading this with pity on your faces.  I was that woman.  I've been sat where you are and, I'm either having a nervous breakdown (to be fair, this is a possibility) or I've struck sandal gold (at the very least a shade of bronze).  I think these might work. 

Here are ones which I am going to track down.  The trick is to filter out the super comedy numbers (and no it's not all of them.  Shhh) and hit the yoof fashion sites.  

Topshop and ASOS have the market covered. 

Starting with pool slides.  In white they may be every so slightly Swimming Gala Timekeeper but once you get over that, the minimal edge to them is quite endearing. 

Frizz Leather Pool Slides £38 also available online in black.



Dare I say slightly more delicate 




Fever Poolside Sandals £35 also available in black.


ASOS have a double strap slider. 





The Free Tread Flatforms £38 in white  Although I would say it's more of a creamy snakeskin.  Also in black online.



Now I would have to draw the line personally (she says - yeah right) at what I see to be the Startrite version of the summer sandal but I can see that to some there will be no difference in fugliness to any of the rest and they do belong in here.  This is not the style that I'm after mind.  I appreciate I'm splitting hairs. 

Back in the room now and upping the ante a bit at Whistles. I guess you have to be sure you love them to spend this much.  They are less of a modern supercharged sole though which may appeal and I love the unusual colour.





These are a bit more out there mind you in black patent. 


Another similar version but in silver from ASOS 








Now if I can't persuade you on these, I can't persuade you on any of them.  I defy anyone not to think for the first two seconds that these were Marni.  If I shoved these in a Matches box, no-one would ever know.  (ok so I'd scrub out the New Look label first, but for under £20?!) 




These from Aldo I really do rather like and again I think look like they could grace the likes of Net-A-Porter (honestly there are oodles of these on there for prices that make you cry)







A slightly less in your face version, with just a nod to the theme with the slightly thicker sole can be found at Bertie. 


So I think that is enough food for thought for one night.  You may have noticed that there has been no mention of anything with a cork base or a jelly version.  Well.  I'm not going to pontificate about how much I loathe anything Birkie looking as clearly I will have a pair in every colour and style before I've finished the post but at the moment, suffice to say, they're not for me.  And I'm not even going to mention anything jelly.  I'm 41 for the love of the lord. (glossing over the fact I've been trawling Topshop, River Island, New Look and ASOS for sandals.  Details schmetails)

Today - final day of week one of the hols.  Another round robin of stuff trying to keep various children entertained.  It's easier than when they were babies, that's all I'm going to say.  Oh and it's not raining. 





Maroon and bone breton top - Massimo Dutti
Saxby Boyfriend jeans - ASOS 
Cream quilted jacket - Zara
Cream stone necklace - Anthropologie
Cheetah print skate shoes - Next
Stone maxi zip satchel - Anya Hindmarch

I can't wait to hear your thoughts about how I've totally lost my marbles.  Am looking forward to a huge trying on session next week now that I've got my head around them.  Feeling rather excited (and in need of a pedi...) 


Share this:

CONVERSATION

33 comentarios:

  1. Horrendous.......but fair play to you if you like them. But then I havent succumbed to skater shoes either. (yet). One thing for sure....no pained trotters at end of the day, definite bonus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have come round to the minimalism of them - I think there may be a slightly less chunkier version around but my eyes have definitely been opened. The skate shoes have changed my life (ha ha!) xx

      Delete
  2. Marbles lost. I also can't but help think that these will be blister city on the top of the foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Interesting though, I don't think they'd rub any more than any other sandal? Hmmm maybe leather is the way to go xxx

      Delete
  3. alright alright. you are starting to win me over on the skate shoes, especially those cheetah ones!

    Sorry but you lost me on the fugly sandals though, blech!

    Claire x
    http://www.polkadotsandrainbowdrops.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA! It's the beginning of the slippery slope I promise you. We'll all be wearing the fugly sandals by the end of the summer (or a version of them at least!)

      Delete
  4. I don't mind some of them on others but there are far too many beautiful shoes out there for me to try so I doubt I will be partaking in this trend. And anyway my boney ankles would look horrendous. Go forth and indulge Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall buy a pair for both of us...! I think the minimal ones are quite beautiful actually - much more me at the moment I think.... I will go forth and shop indeed darling xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi Kat, I've never commented before but I love your blog! It's fab. And I have to say I'm a big fan of these sandals!
    I was just wondering...did you find a pair of socks to go with your skater shoes? I've just bought some from next and my trainer socks show up too much...any advice?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, you need footsies which are the little tight version of trainer socks. A friend of mine v kindly picked me up some in Primark this week but I think you can get them everywhere. (tbh I did found they pinged off my feet during the day which was somewhat irritating but better than a) nothing and b) being able to see my socks. xx

      Delete
  6. I actually laughed out loud at the photo of the pink Zara fuglies but the New Look ones made me question myself, so maybe you're onto something?! Then again I used to go to a convent school and all the nuns used to wear fuglies like those under their habits. I don't think I could do it.
    Louisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *punches air* YES! Oh I think lots of people will be coming round..(whilst as many sit and vom, that's for sure!) xx

      Delete
  7. Love them but I've always loved granny chic I wore my Clarkes original sandals all last summer !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rolled my eyes and heaved many a sigh until I reached the New Look ones ... and then ... ooh! Maybe? But only very slightly maybe! But I'm not so 'anti' that I'll make rash statements such as 'never on my feet'!!!! And as a total random aside, I'd forgotten how much I love that Anthropologie necklace x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh ha ha ha ha ha! we'll just wait and see.... (maybe Flaky isn't just a skin reference..!) Have to say I'm with you on the necklace, I too had forgotten how fab it is. Will be being dragged out a lot more now for sure!

      Delete
  9. No,no, and errr No! Not for me, ( worried I might be wearing them by June)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what, like me and the skate shoes?!! Try them on, I dare you.... xx

      Delete
  10. Ladies, H&M for your skater/trainer sock issues! Little foot covers that are completely hidden from view :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'll get searching!

      Delete
    2. Are these like footsies? I'll have a look in there as they're quite expensive in M&S and Boots and John Lewis and Primark is a right hassle to get to. Thanks! xx

      Delete
  11. I found fab trainer socks with gel on the heels in the men's dept of m&s. I got the smallest size and they are fine (I am a 6). available in black & white. def no slipping down under my foot. nice and low so work a treat with brogues, converse or skater shoes. hope this helps x Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that sounds like a fab idea - I'll check them out as well, thank you x

      Delete
  12. Love skaters and fuglies! Go for it Kat! Hx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you are right in that you need to try them on before dismissing them the pics with you wearing them look fab to me! Also they could be the thing for boyfriend jeans, you look fab in your saxby's - I still having a footwear problem with mine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you so much. Honestly I was gobsmacked by how different they looked on. Saxbys are definitely working for me, I'm really pleased with them, but I do think they are a lot easier to wear in the summer. They just don't look quite right with boots. I also sized down in mine and they're still v loose. xx

      Delete
  14. There are lots around with slightly thinner soles. I'm going to do another blog on ones that sit on the fence so are half and half if you like. Hmm no my skate shoes don't pinch. I wore them without socks and both pairs rubbed slightly on the heel but after a couple of wears they're absolutely fine with no rubbing at all - I assume either my feet are now used to them or they've stretched slightly? x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the silver sandals from ASOS! The slip ons look rather too much like something worn by certain male tourists, with socks on holiday for my liking. Skater shoes - yet to be convinced! You can certainly rock them but think I may look a little fashion victim and have always been out off them by the vans check ones which are so not my thing. That said have foot problems at the mo (too many years of unsuitable shoes) so am attracted by the comfort so have tentatively ordered the next ones but we shall see ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Whistles version of these sandals. I bought them a month or so ago. Realised that I was getting ahead of myself and everyone else who might think I now NEEDED more comfortable shoes. Returned them but I will be repurchasing and hang the pitying looks.
      I wear my skate shoes at every opportunity too.

      Delete
  16. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but those sandals are all very definitely filed in the "under 25s only" box. They are not at all flattering and only the really youthful can get away with deliberately making themselves look ugly in the name of fashion. Other examples: high waister stone washed denim micro shorts and Haim "I don't even brush it, let alone ever get it cut" hair.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kat, are you sure we can't bring you around to the Birkenstocks eventually? ;0) You have found some amazing alternatives! I would love to see you styling some.....you will rock this look once you dip your toe in....just like you have with the NB's and skate shoes xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not saying a word except maybe just maybe....a bomber jacket could be next?! :D Ax

    ReplyDelete