Call me Kate

Yes, I am about 5 years, actually probably more, behind the times but I've come over all a bit Kate Middleton and am contemplating a nude court shoe. 

There is method behind my madness so please do hear me out.  And there is a reason why I have embarked on another shoe obsession.  It's continuing on from my Granny Chic shoe blog the other week but adapting it to what will work for me. 

So the full on Granny Chic isn't for me. I adore them on other people, there are some who can pull this look off with such aplomb.  Alas I am not one of them.  I think it works on the more gamine.  It's a chic look which unfortunately I ruin.

However there was a silver lining to my Granny cloud and that was the mid heel.  After trying on a ridiculous amount of shoes under close scrutiny of the very judgmental 9yr old (she's like a mini Joan RIvers), we came to the conclusion that we had to abide by certain rules. 

Firstly, they had to be pointed.  Almond toe did not work.  

Secondly they had to be a stiletto or a super block heel.  A semi sturdy or semi skinny heel was bad. 

Thirdly they had to be mid heel.  A high heel would work but for the purpose of this quest, that wasn't cutting the mustard.  Nor a kitten heel.  No.  A mid heel was the order of the day. 

Fourthly it had to be gold.  Ok so this may have where all the wheels fell off.  Apparently there are only a handful of gold shoes out there that adhere to rules numbers one to four.  And then, most of them are the wrong gold (I know, I know, I wasn't initially prescriptive about the exact gold but there's gold and there's gold.  Surely that's obvious?)

So starting with the gold options  - after which it will become apparent why I moved onto nude....

Karen Millen Crystal Glitter Heel £110   These are the perfect heel.  One thing I didn't mention was that ideally the heel would be a straight mid heel like these.  Love the heel.  Love the colour.  Unfortunately I'm not crazy about the glitz aspect to them for every day.  One of the reasons that I'm after a mid heel is so that I can wear for daytime as opposed to the taxi shoe height of most high heeled courts out there.   And the crystal aspect to these screams ever so slightly walk of shame to me.  So it's a nay at the moment.  (unless I can find something else or they're drastically reduced and then bring it on.  They are gorgeous gorgeous shoes.  And they do them in half sizes which is fab) .  

Oh and if anyone is interested they have a fab matching teensy clutch. 




image


I did find a pair in the right gold at Head Over Heels in House of Fraser.  But they were nearly £40 for non leather shoes?  If they'd had the perfect heel for me then I probably wouldn't have minded so much but if we're looking for perfection....






image

Slightly different at Hobbs and to be honest I think these would work if they were a T bar but I'm not quite sure about the strap over.  May work for some, not sure on me.  I will say, I love the rose gold hint to them though and the point is gorgeous. 





Untitled

I haven't tried these on as the Russell & Bromley is being refurbed in Bluewater so they only have four pairs of shoes in there but these look gorgeous.  Definitely worth hunting down. 

5th Avenue at R&B £165


I have to say though, it does mean that perhaps the best ones out there are the Kurt Geiger ones.  Which is obviously the case seeing as I missed their 25% off discount offer which was only for a whole month.  Jeez Louise.  Taking procrastination to a new level. 

Bea by Kurt Geiger £99



Whilst I was looking for gold, I did come across nothing but nude.  Nude nude nude everywhere.  Kate Middleton, you have a lot to answer for.  Although I appreciate she does prefer a slightly almond toe along with a little platform and I am eschewing both of this for a flat pointy number.

I also came to the conclusion that there is a perfect nude for everyone.  Most of the nude courts I tried on have the magic ability to turn my leg into corpse.  Which isn't quite the summer look I was going for.  

However let's assume I can tan my legs and take it from there.  Cadaver legs aside, here's the best that was out there. 

Starting with non patent at Hobbs and probably the best for my skin tone.  And actually these have sneaked in under the net as they're slightly higher than they should be for this challenge.  Oops.  It was at the beginning of the day before I'd got to grips with the rules.  My apologies.  They are sincerely lovely shoes. 

Beige Iva Court Shoes now £107.10 from £149





Untitled

Not leather but a lovely creamy shade of nude at New Look for a not to be sniffed at £17.99





Untitled

Good Old M&S - these are the nude version of the lovely silver ones I had on the blog. 

And for once, these look a hell of a lot better in their pic than they do on my feet.  Dead man walking - you have been warned.








The Charly23 from Nine West at £95 looks higher in my photos than they actually are.  The pink is a pearlised nude and the white also has an oyster hint to it.  Beautiful shoes actually but neither are quite right.  GAH.  Once I'd got into my head "bridesmaid shoe" the love affair was Over.



And abandoning all vestiges of the challenge, I threw myself back into my comfort zone, cursing the fact that I already have a pair of these (which admittedly cost a fiver) but sticking to my guns and not impulse buying.  But if anyone doesn't have a pair of leopard print court shoes - oh my lord, these are the best bargain out there.   You could practically go for a jog in these.






Finishing with a couple of ranges which I haven't tried on but still fit the mid heel court brief perfectly (they fail ridiculously on all of my other rules but we're glossing over this seeing as I failed the mission with a massive great big F) 

I have posted these before and they did go down really well.  The ASOS Spring Break range.  Can I possibly justify a silver pair?  



And I'm just to go throw in a teensy tiny grenade... a white stiletto....




And finally The Eve Heel from Oasis at £35.  This totally scrapes in just under the mid heel banner.  There is ever so slightly a whiff of kitten to me, but I think it's more Cat.  Just about.   Certainly lovely shades in suede. 

Untitled


To summarise.  That went well.  Not.  Not sure where I stand on these now.  My small grenade of white stilettoness has firmly put the cat amongst the pigeons with another gem of a (no doubt disastrous) idea.....  Is anyone else loving the mid heel court shoe idea?  Yay or nay?

So today, still loving the sunshine.  Family day with my mother in law, sister in law and niece and nephew and the 9yr old, catching up.  Rather exhausted after the escapades of yesterday when we went to Kingston to see Jacqueline Wilson's Hetty Feather.  The 9yr old had won a competition to go and meet Jackie (did you know that Jackie magazine was named after her?  HOW cool is that?  I may have been slightly more star struck than the hard as nails daughter and her friend).  And we got tickets to the show and to meet the cast afterwards, photo calls and all as it was the Press Night.  All in all, a fantastic treat that money can't buy - especially as we never win anything so this was just the best. 

As an aside, I simply cannot recommend the show highly enough.  I was mortified to admit (or gloss over - clearly I didn't voice it) that I hadn't read the book but it didn't matter.   The set, the actors, the music - all totally amazing.  I would go so far as to say I thought it was as impressive as Matilda - I certainly laughed and cried far more than I have done in any other recent theatre production.  Do do do go and see it if you get the chance (and maybe take your kids.) 

Finishing the day by taking the kids out for tea.  The Good Wife and a glass of wine for me and an early night. 


Untitled

Nude vest - Primark
Lilac and yellow silk blouse - Antik Batik (I bought this to wear to a wedding when I was pregnant with the 7yr old.  Still one of my favourite summer tops) 
Cut off jeans turned up - Rock & Republic (and these were the first jeans I bought after the 9yr old was born.  Just call me vintage Queen.)
Navy blazer - Zara
Leopard print skate shoes - Next 
Stone maxi zip cross body bag - Anya Hindmarch
Gold mini antelope charm necklace - Bill Skinner 

Apparently it's going to be sunny tomorrow as well.  I could get used to this..... 





Share this:

CONVERSATION

20 comentarios:

  1. Loving your blog but its making me spend more money!!
    I was hoping you could let me know how the green zara coat fits, was hoping to pick one up on ebay? I usually get xs or s in zara, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a Large but it is big on me to be fair. In Zara I would normally take a Med or a Large in a jacket - hope that helps? And thank you for your lovely comments xxx

      Delete
    2. I am not as waif like as Kat (at all!) but I have the Zara green coat in a Small......I thought it came up big, especially on the shoulders?!

      Delete
    3. I am honestly broader than I look! I don't think mine looks too big (I wanted it oversized and need it longer so that it hangs longer on the arms, if you see what I mean?) I'm 5ft 10 and mine is deffo a large!! Xx

      Delete
  2. I've just ordered the ASOS silver ones... Spring Break here we come...! The M&S ones have vanished here in Ireland and online in the UK, so these are my best hope. Fingers crossed they do the job!

    Loving the blog Kat - bad for my bank balance of course, but good for the soul xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ASOS ones looks fab - the M&S ones are very very shiny - I think a slightly duller silver might work better anyway. Hope they're ok xx

      Delete
  3. I love mid heels simply because I can actually walk in them :) I do love a good nude shoe though they go with just anything! but your right about corpses bride legs I have to tan up to wear them.
    I do really like the leopard print ones though and also the colourful kittens, they look like they would be a dream to walk in xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right - I've either done high or flat, apart from in boots where I seem to have a good middle ground. Just need to get my head around the fact they're not "worky"!

      Delete
  4. Karen millen gold win hands down! Love the purple top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! and I thought they were too glitzy for day. That top has indeed served me v well x

      Delete
  5. Very tempted by the leopard print heels.And you look lovely in the Antik Batik blouse - did Whistkes used to stock them? I once had a gorgeous silk top that I think was from there, but bought in Whistles!
    Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted by them and I already have a pair of higher ones. Yes Whistles did used to stock Antik Batik that's right. I think I got this one from La Redoute. It's amazing - 100% silk even with all the beading on it and washes like a dream. They don't make them like they used to. x

      Delete
  6. I want those Karen Millen shoes! That is all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha. They are super cute (and will no doubt be in the sale somewhere - I'll keep you posted...!)

      Delete
  7. I got the ASOS Spring Breaks in silver this week, after another blogger raved about them. I have big-ish (size 7) feet so I was a bit worried about how they would look and fit, but they are PERFECT. And such a bargain.....I'm waiting for some new colours to be brought out and I will defintely re-purchase.

    Of the gold shoes, I think the first 'walk of shame' ones are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh how fab! I blogged about them before but haven't tried them - there are just so few mid heel courts out there at a reasonable price with a good looking heel. I'm sure they'll bring more out - I'm so hanging out for a gold pair. (duh obviously!)

      Delete
  8. Hmm maybe, that's v interesting to hear. If you didn't want patent, the Hobbs nude ones are the best. Looks like teh weather is going to be ok - hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you HAVE to bin those 'skate' shoes Kat, they make you look like Sideshow Bob
    PLEASE! Cod
    http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sideshowbob.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moving on! Love the less of a kitten, more of a cat line, or should that be kat! these are all gorgeous with boyfriends - that's the key to not looking worky. But I'm totally over patent so would veer towards suede or plain leather nudes or golds with some serious fake tan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A big thumbs up to the mid heel, a height I can actually walk in! The KM ones look very Jimmy Choo bridal collection and I have to confess I don't own nude and should. Ordered a pair from Office which were actually peach, forgot to return them, hopefully doing a bootfair very soon!

    ReplyDelete