Next I shall be knitting my own lentils.

You know what's coming, don't you?  I've caved.  I have properly caved, much to the hilarity of most of my friends, and am more than slightly open to the prospect of a Birkie. 

Yes, you read that right, a Birkie.  Now the last time I wore Birkenstocks when I was pregnant with the 9year old and the weather was so hot and my water retention so bad, if you'd painted my feet green, I honestly would have passed as a Shrek body double.  And the only thing that would fit my totally humungous feet were good old Birkies.  

I'm not going to lie.  I hated them.  And I haven't worn them since.  I've held them in exceptionally low regard - essentially I thought they were totally minging. 

But, hey, the story of my life is eating copious amounts of humble pie and I don my pathetic Fashion Sheep hat with pride. 

I had come round to the Fugly Sandal even though I hadn't decided which I was going to buy but in the meantime, I have gone even further, to a place I never though I would visit and am coming round to the idea of the BIrkie.  

Clearly there is someone to blame here and I can throw the book firmly at the head of JCrew.  It's nearly always one pic that throws me over the edge - one pic can actually catapault me from loathing something to developing an overriding obsession with it.  

This time, it is the Birkenstocks - the Arizonas in particular, that are the lucky recipient of my all consuming lust.  And actually, to be fair, it is the fault of two pictures.  Looking at JCrew's Summer Seven wish list - I had my epiphany. 

This pic first:-



Followed by this pic and I thought - put the two together and hey presto - proper love.  Mixing the above sandals with the outfit below.  I am saying nothing about how much I am in love with this top and jeans.  I honestly haven't seen an outfit I have salivated over so much in a long time. 



Here are the sandals in question - The BIrkenstock for JCrew Arizona sandals in navy




and in white 



Have I lost my tiny mind?   Well apparently no as it took just a hint of a google to be further inspired.  I am sort of ignoring the fact these are young, painfully trendy whippet of things without a hint of dried 5yr old's toothpaste/pizza/porridge stuck to a trouser leg.








They look good, don't they?!

Ok.  Now I appreciate if you haven't even had your head turned a teensy tiny bit by the fugly sandal then the chances of you buying into these, aren't high.  At all.  I was there, believe me but I have been WORN DOWN. 

I now can't contemplate living without these.  I've decided if you're going to go fugly, you've got to do it properly and may as well go whole hog with the original sensible sandals.  The classic, knit your own lentils variety.  At the very least, you can guarantee they're going to be comfortable. 

However, very unlike me, I am not buying into the whole JCrew branding thing.  I won't lie, they certainly nudged me in the right direction - ok they may have done more than that, they may have catapulted me into the heights of unprecedented Birkie adoration. 

But I simply cannot see how they can justify that money.  I have scrutinised the photos online of the JCrew ones and I think it *may* say something JCrew-esque in the writing on the inside of the sole ie under your feet.   Errr, bothered. 

Especially when they have them at ASOS, in leather in white, which to me look totally identical for £59.95. Although, although, although, these are the men's versions (I have seen talk on German sites about narrow or regular but they don't seem to bother with that here) - which are just bigger sizes.  And you need to size down in these.  I am normally a 39.5 or a 40 so either a 6.5 or a 7 yet in these I am definitely a 39 (a 6).  And they're obviously sold out in my size. (yes, alright so suddenly the fact I can't actually get hold of a cheaper pair in leather does make the JCrew ones seem slightly supply and demand driven.  Gits) 






Now there isn't a navy leather pair that I can find.  Well, I can find one at Matches but they're £140 which sort of defeats the object, but I have managed to find a bargain navy normal (not full strap leather) pair at Zalando for a mere £35.  Plus if you sign up for an email from Zalando you can get £10 off your first order (although I'm not sure if there is a minimum spend, it may well be worth looking at the other Birkies, if there is) 


Apparently most people don't actually buy the leather ones (I thought they were leather - go figure - they're a leather lined sole but the top is imitation leather, something special that Birkenstock use, I haven't bothered doing much more research into it, I confess, it appears that the non leather ones are totally fine) and these are the normal ones that the majority buy.  
Birkenstock Arizona in white £50 This would definitely be worth exploring the £10 off voucher for (I may have used another email for another voucher....) 

Alternatively there is the black normal pair  - £49.95 from ASOS - they don't have them at Zalando.  I am now going to be seeing Birkenstock Arizonas in my sleep, I have looked at that many, including stumbling across by accident second hand ones on Ebay.  Boak.  No no no.





Feel free to all guffaw.   I will have to wait till a couple of days till I splurge as I have done the April Quota for shoes - I will bring them to you tomorrow with another 20% off voucher I've found.  It would be rude not to explore what there is at a High Street store that is really having a storming season.   We have until next week to use this so thank goodness there isn't the rush that there was with the Mango code.  They're also not a sandal (and not a boot either).  Perfect for this rather unpredictable weather we're having.

I wore them yesterday so shall keep my photo from then till tomorrow but here is my outfit from today.

image

White oversized shirt - H&M
Polka Dot navy jeans - Great Plains
Navy boucle blazer - Zara
New Balance trainers 
Whisky Medium Marcie Satchel - Chloe 

See you all tomorrow!  And bring on the Told You So's.. I'm ready for you....

Share this:

CONVERSATION

32 comentarios:

  1. Like you, Kat, I have done a full u-turn on Birkenstocks and now don't know how I'll get through the summer without a pair of Arizonas! I just can't decide on the black or white; I like the look of both. Decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *whispers* I've always been a fan of Birkies! My sister, who thinks they're they ugliest shoes on the planet after Crocs & mocks me for wearing them, always says how comfortable they are when she inevitably tries them on! Maxi dress, denim jacket & Birkies & that's my summer wardrobe pretty much sorted! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love today's outfit. looks great on you. ................but Birkies, no cant do it. hit 50 4 days ago (it's still having that effect on me that i feel the need to count how many days since it happened) , they just still make me feel and think frumpy, mentally scarred from seeing them worn with socks!!! Birkies and Crocs are never going to do it for me, but as they say each to their own. Can see you carrying them off but i would look awful in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your blonde hair fabulous I'm afraid that's the only positive thing I have to say though as berkinstocks make me shudder!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the black Arizona birkies from amazon last week! They were about £40. Haven't worn them yet but can't wait! I used to wear them years ago!
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just bought a black pair of birkenstocks...they are comfy, must admit it took me a while to come round too, like you last time I wore them was 7 years ago when absolutely humungously pregnant and stomping around like a wheeble..I vowed never to go back...I have....and like you say they are fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep stomping around in my white ones around the house and to the park but I still haven't got used to that dratted raised arch. I'm persevering though ... all in the name of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned this below, but figured you may not see it! If the arches are bothering you, cover the area with a tea towel and smack them with a hammer! It flattens them down a little! I do it to all mine to speed up the break in time!

      Delete
    2. That made me laugh. The hubs will think I've well and truly lost it when he says me taking a hammer to my Birks. Or not.

      Delete
  8. Its definitely in the styling! Birks and good styling = OK; Birks and bad styling = horrible.
    :0)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - I knew you'd come round! I've worn them for years - glad they are back in fashion! But how on earth can J Crew justify £130??? I actually find the non leather ones more comfortable - the straps are backed in felt and they are softer on the feet.
    Sue - if you are finding the arches tough, take a hammer to them. Cover the area with an old tea towel and smack the offending lumps with a hammer - I usually have to do it to the toe part on all mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cannot wait to get mine out again - worn well and they can look epic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a Birkenstock fan for years, have about 6 pairs in different colours and designs. Hope it's ok to admit to that. I want navy though and love the j crew ones, are they for real with the price though?! Madness. What's different about them to charge so much?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just picked up my new Arizonas from Topshop. I chose the black ones as Topshop don't do white and I think that says it all. I will get comments from Him Indoors about wearing of said comfortable shoes which I shall ignore and will hopefully get approving nods from others who have fallen for the fashion hype like me sad article that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kat they have the black ones on Amazon for about £34. I had to order them to recover from the knee surgery, they look fab against my surgical stocking ;-)
    But seriously love them and feel they go with everything. F xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have 3 pairs - yes 3 pairs of Arizonas - white, navy and silver. Comfiest shoes ever - the vegan ones are great - if you're going granola you may as well go the full hog;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What color are you thinking? Black, white, navy?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Birkenstocks, have one pair, white with a floral pattern. The trend this time is for a more minimal look I think so mine (paint encrusted and flowery) are not in. They are mostly comfortable although make my heels turn into reptile skin. I think they suit some feet better than others.

    In my uneducated opinion I think they work with jeans (boyfriend best rather than skinny) or shorts, or maybe a very casual dress. And in a very simple way ie if you are wearing a blazer this is a juxtaposition too far for me. As I have muscular/chunky legs they are not super flattering. With long slim legs you won't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the look on the pictures you posted but every time I try them on in a store I hate it. But then, I didn't like skaters either and now I'm a "proud owner". Go figure, maybe if I try them on fifty times more...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get them direct from Germany - much cheaper from www.footshopping.com and they deliver worldwide. White Arizona's 33GBP and free shipping to the UK. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got black already and I'm going in for white too! I would also recommend getting them from Amazon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mwah ha ha it was only a matter of time. I must fess up to being tempted but I am still not sure. I did say that about trainers/skate you name it. Move up on that bench with 'dithery git' emblazoned across it and we will fit on just fine together. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am hoping you got the Hobbs strappy shoes with the 20% discount (SUMMER) because I really want them. If you look fabulous in them then maybe I can justify a purchase!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kat check out the net a porter birkenstocks they are amazing ...have just got mine in navy ....so worth the price !

    Lucyx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that jacket and your hair is SO blonde! No comment re the Birkies lol. Oh and I'm awaiting arrival of the ASOS boyfriend tee (in grey) which is v similar to the J Crew one you like above. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. My husband says Birkenstocks make everyone look like they have cankles - fat calf like ankles. This was the thrilling response I got when I tried on my old Papillio birks for size. He also mentioned only nurses or chefs should wear white Birkenstocks. So he is not on board - I'm on the fence. Oh how comfortable they would be....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm like you wore them pregnant and swore I'd never wear again and been quite vocal about my loathing lately. Well until yesterday and tried some on, god are they comfy.
    Still debating buying some, but if I can look like a jcrew model (dreaming) then he'll yes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Big fess up - I'm in Germany this weekend and they're on the shopping list....caved a few weeks ago and have been planning my purchase ever since! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love them too - they have always looked great as long as the rest of your clothes do! Love the looks you have included above.

    My 2014 pair arrived today - have gone for silver Floridas this year and they are brilliant.
    Will now probably rain for weeks though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T.K. Maxx have quite a few Birkenstock styles (online) and are only £29.99

      Delete
  28. Have you tried here for Birkies, every colour, fit and style and reasonably priced. http://www.footshopping.com/arizona-black/artikelid_551251.html?MI=6

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hows the lentil knitting going?! I knew you'd come round!! Lol! You are so going to look amazing in a pair of Birkies & I can't wait to see you in them! xx

    ReplyDelete