Going in the wrong direction...

... I am breaking every shopping rule I ever set. 

Well, that's not entirely true.  But I'm certainly not going to be polishing my Saint of Shopping halo (although I have returned I think pretty much everything I have bought in the past month bar my two complete bargain trousers from the River Island sale).

And in fact, it was whilst I was returning things today that I fell upon a pair of trousers that made me think - yes yes yes yes yes. THAT'S what I need.  To go with my new shoes. (my Nike Air Force Ones which I bought in Dec so therefore not this month...)  And my new hush biker jacket (which I haven't actually got yet...).  And there in lies the issue.  One of my main rules is, you should only buy something if you can think of at least three things that you own that can go with them.  Which doesn't involve buying things to go with things you haven't bought yet... 

But sod it.  I love these trousers and have done for years.  I have relegated many of my older ones though to loungewear (that is the posh term for it - the accurate term would be slobbing on the sofa wear or taking the dog for a walk when I can't really be bothered to get dressed wear.  Funnily enough, these are not marketing terms that any retailer has coined).

So I need new ones.  And I want grey ones.  I also would like some more khaki ones that my friend and I saw earlier today and both said OOOOH we love those (whilst both being convinced we did in fact already have some in our wardrobe that were remarkably similar.  In fact, I've just remembered where mine are from and I may already be ahead of the game on the khaki front.  Mine are a khaki linen pair that were from the Topshop sale three years ago and are possibly one of the more worn pair of trousers that I've got).

So which were the ones that we saw?  

These from Anthropologie.  And they look much much better in the flesh than they do  in the online pics.  They are the most amazing soft fabric but still have a structure to them, as opposed to being like jamas (that jama trend thing.. I'll be coming back to that shortly, but frankly ..jog..on...)


Untitled 


Now I love Anthropologie but I have to say, their styling of these wouldn't be my first choice. (or my second, or my third.. or even my fourth.  Continue ad infinitum).

Fairbank Joggers £88



And in the grey 



So in my head, I know how I think they'll work but as none of you are psychic, a quick spin on Pinterest has given us plenty of food for thought.  Personally I'm not going to be going with the super heel as I am getting old and my knees are getting knackered.  Although maybe for a night out..



I dream of having feet as brown as this.  It's not often that you see a pic and the first thing that springs to mind is "feet goals".




ELLE KLAXON.





Now with boots... This is very wearable.

But... call off the dogs.  I have come home to roost.  This outfit is simply perfection on every level.



Along with this one. 




And the above is even a pic from Topshop which would therefore be an obvious place to start.

Do you see now why we all need a pair of trousers like these? (I also need the shoes in the immediate picture above and am praying they're S/S16.. Even though I do actually have a similar-ish pair from Clarks about four years ago in camel.  They are so getting a revival this year). 

These trousers are so versatile.  Oh, I can't be doing with skirts at the moment.  It's too much like hard work.  I don't wear them, I have hardly any tops that work with them and my legs would give the Gruffalo a run for his money at the moment so bare legs are simply NOT an option.  A wardrobe of wearable trousers is the solution.  

And starting with these gems.  They work with heels, they work with flats, with trainers and with boots.  You can dress them up or dress them down.  

They also look simply marvellous with a biker jacket (SCORE).

So firstly, I'm after a grey pair.  As you can see from my outfit today I can't get enough grey.  It goes with everything and everything goes with it.

Mensy Tonic Trousers from Topshop (I may have to buy them on the name alone...) £40



Mensy Peg Trousers from Topshop £40  A slightly different texture and weave.  For me, the above ones win.



Notch Back Tapered Trousers in a stone/beige/tobacco colour £22 from Topshop



Some other options in alternative colours that are a combo between a peg leg and a jogger.  For me - either is actually as wearable.   I think a lot is to do with both the fabric and the waistband but both serve a similar purpose and are as versatile (admittedly your jogger does ultimately make a better slob pant - I can tell you from experience).

Michael Michael Kors Zipped Stretch Jersey pants in navy were £125 now £55



And the same in black £55 





Black Twill Tie Waist Joggers from Dorothy Perkins £20



Relaxed Crepe Trousers from Jigsaw £120 (roll up for a more casual look).




And in khaki:-

ASOS Woven Peg Trousers with OBI Tie



More khaki heaven at JCrew for a great price at The Outnet. 

Calvary Coated cotton twill tapered pants were £130 now £65




So tapered trousers - fan, newbie or just a WTAF?  I would say they are definitely definitely worth a try... go on... you know you want to... 

Whilst we're talking of trying things, I've got a very old purchase that I don't wear often but I really should.  Something new - wide leg trousers.  Can only be worn on a day where there is definitely no rain.  Soggy hems are simply grim.   As I said earlier, all the grey with a hint of camel.  I just can't get enough of these shades at the moment.  (and the coat was also bought in December... )


Untitled

Grey wide leg trousers - Zara
Grey cashmere polo neck - Cocoa Cashmere
Grey double faced coat - Whistles
Grey wrist warmers - Black
Grey and camel Air Force Ones - Nike
Camel bag - Prada

Tomorrow, off out for lunch with the girls.  Big day out at The Hamyard Hotel.  I *think* I know what I'm wearing... (famous last words..).  What I don't know is what to do with my hair.  It's being cut tomorrow morning and for once, I'm not sure what to do with it.  Carry on growing it again or get it lobbed off?  I'm erring towards shorter again and I NEED to get a treatment in it as well.  The colour that I now need to cover the grey is playing havoc with it.  So I'm thinking another round of shorter...? HELP!!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

31 comentarios:

  1. Go shorter, I had 3 inches cut off on Tuesday and it feels so much better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH pic! I had three to 4 inches off too. LOVE it (well, I love it the way she's done it.... on my own? Hmmm!)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kat. I have just spotted those Topshop sandals on their website - Naomi buckle sandals - they don't look as good as your pic though. Trousers have always been my thing - I can't make skirts or dresses work although I do try occasionally. Work your strengths. And go shorter! ! :) Love your blog. I read it regularly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh, I've just looked at them and eek, you're right, they're really not all that at all are they... I can do dresses, it's just the skirt I struggle with!

      Delete
  3. Now these look an interesting trouser! Btw will have to return the crop kick flares from RI as they are as predicted too long on my short legs! They just look like ankle swingers! I'm gutted as they were such a bargain, but not to be! On the plus side the grey woven tunic top with tie belt that I ordered at the same time is a winner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the RI kick flares but didn't even bother ordering them as I knew they would be too long :-(

      Delete
    2. I loved the RI kick flares but didn't even bother ordering them as I knew they would be too long :-(

      Delete
    3. Try the Weekday cropped flare jeans from Asos - I got these as well as the RI (not arrived yet, now worried they won't work on me either!) and the Weekday ones actually are fine and I'm not tall either (5ft4-1/2).
      http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/Weekday/Weekday-Cut-Mid-Rise-Kick-Flare-Crop-Jeans/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6042206&cid=19511&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=50&sort=1&clr=Black&totalstyles=127&gridsize=3&un_jtt_v_frompage=0

      Delete
    4. oh my lord they would look like pedal pushers on me! I should probably do a whole lotta love post on cropped kick flares.

      Delete
  4. Ooh I'm having mine chopped and dyed tomorrow morning too. Had a lightening screw up before Christmas and am going darker again. Back to my natural colour that I stupidly had highlighted again. Tool.

    Anyway.....great minds. I had my TS khaki ones on today for the first time this year. Love them still. Definitely ordering the grey TS ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did it go? How short did you go? Yes, I can't wait to get my trousers out again....

      Delete
  5. Love those grey trousers from Top shop - and with the trainers, absolute perfection. I am actually on the hunt for some slouch, straight leg white strides - so if you have any time on your hands ....... Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh now I'm not sure I've seen any of them... Will keep it in mind. x

      Delete
  6. Love your grey, wide-legged trousers: I have similar from Great Plains. Not for the rain though, I agree! I love those grey anthropologie trousers, I definitely wouldn't have noticed them from their styling. I had also pinned that picture of the grey trousers with biker jacket. I think they might go with loads of things, so they don't break your rules at all ;).

    I am in a similar situation with my hair (was once very dark), it was very long and I've now had a good few inches off. I'm slowly going blonde and my hairdresser is recommending olaplex treatment and another lop off in the next few sessions. I'm hoping that changing slowly means I have more control...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm loving mine shorter now.. will I love it when I go to do it on my own?!

      Delete
  7. Loving all those trousers- definitely be tryingthat shape. My hair is very similar to yours and i was going shorter and shorter because it felt strawlike and wouldn't hold its shape. Have had olaplex and hair is silky and tamed and im letting it grow couple of inches again. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to get it shortly, thank you. It certainly can't hurt!

      Delete
  8. Ooh let's see hair pics on Instagram!??
    I love these but I'm always a bit wary of gathered cuffs as they accentuate my thighs, and Lord knows that is not needed in this house. I also looked at the second Anthropologie pic and thought 'balls, that's exactly how I'd wear them' (except with white trainers!) so clearly I am not cool enough to wear them!!
    Maybe I'll try out the khaki Hush ones that you mentioned the other day...??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had a look at the turned up ones instead of the cuffed ones? I wouldn't have thought they accentuated your thighs though but I know what you mean - if there's something that you're not happy with, then ditch it! I think they're absolutely fine with the Anthro outfits - I just think it could be ever so slightly more exciting - for example, I'd have worn a blazer instead of a denim jacket..

      Delete
  9. Have you seen the herringbone joggers in Jigsaw? Think you will like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I haven't, I will go and have a look! Thank you x

      Delete
    2. I've just had a look at these. They look fab. Hope they're as good when I try on. With blazer (grey/black) slogan tee and sneakers. Thanks

      Delete
    3. They're gorgeous and I LOVE them with the matching top as well actually... almost like the coolest tracksuit ever!

      Delete
  10. Think these pants look great with heels,but not loving them with sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them with sneakers, I just think you have to get the jacket right!

      Delete
  11. Saw your hair pic on instagram. Love it shorter. I'm stuck with mine at the moment. its very long, but i have gone back to my natural blonde due to the greys showing up too much on the dark shade that i loved. Trying to find a hairdresser i am happy with having moved areas, and that i trust. Love the trousers as they look like my favourite comfort relaxed look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely easier to hide the greys with lighter coloured hair. am over the moon with mine shorter... That's until I try and do it myself of course! (and thank you!)

      Delete
  12. Hi Kat, I love the pinterest pic with grey trousers, stans and leather jacket. So much sk that I managed to track the grey pleat trousers and they are from Mango and half price in sale at mo on their site but I got mine through John Lewis to get the right size and they are not on sale there but love them and the fit is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh how fab is that?! I think they'll be too short on me as I'd want to roll them up I think.. maybe I should try and track them down. Good idea, thanks! Am loving the Topshop ones though.

      Delete
  13. The new hush leather jacket looks beautiful, can't way tot see it on you. Please could you do a detailed review and photos from different angles, lining, back, length of arms, look of leather in real life etc. of you have time? I would be forever grateful and happily hand you over my winning lottery ticket xx Myriam

    ReplyDelete