Hedging my bets

So not only did I somehow think it would be a good idea to do the food myself for my party on Saturday night (how hard can it be to cook for 60 people?... slightly shudders at the thought), I also *obviously* need to find something to wear.  Randomly I actually find the food bit easier. (she says now a whole week ahead... I shall revisit that thought when I'm panicking like hell come Saturday lunchtime..) 

I have a selection of dresses on their way - the skirts have gone back.  But today, I was able to secure a back up plan.  A Jumpsuit.  Getting my priorities right.

These, I am pretty confident in saying, have become a modern day classic.  Oh I know that they're a total pain in the arse to go to the loo in.  Of that there is no denying.  But I think, for the ease of the outfit, for the comfort factor, for the effortless elegance and versatility they offer, you just suck it up.  

Now I usually prefer a tapered leg and not sleeveless.  The main reason (for the former) is that I'm tall and a flappy hem at ankle level when it should be floor length, is up there with being the biggest no no for me.  Boak.  Just wrong.  Everyone does have different thoughts on where the trousers should fall but for me, it should verge on Dalek.  As though it looks like you're gliding along on wheels.  A la Dalek style.  Not dragging on the floor though..

As seen here with the simply amazing amazing amazing Sportmax Code new season jumpsuit which, for a designer item is actually really well priced.  Perfect for work, perfect for nights out, perfect for occasion wear.  I adore this.  My one gripe with the length (apart from them usually being too short for me) is that you can really only wear them with one height of shoes.  Not necessarily a bad thing I guess though. 

I love this so so so much. 

Sportmax Code Zigote Jumpsuit £220



A slightly variation on the theme from Topshop.  Although you would need to wear a top under it but that offers a great versatility to wear with a tee, a shirt, a thin knit jumper etc.  Perfect for now with a fine polo neck. 

Pinafore Jumpsuit from Topshop £65  If I could guarantee this would be long enough...



In the sale at Whistles.  

Whistles Drape Front Slouch Jumpsuit was £160 now £64




And two new season numbers from Whistles which I LOVE.  Not entirely as enamoured with the amount of fake tan I would need to apply.  But imagine this with leopard print sandals.  Would also work with sneakers for during the day as well.






And this one which is probably slightly more practical - the Jenna from Whistles £160  Again - ideal with casual shoes and a biker jacket (this is calling me....)







Now I'm slightly confused by this one as I'm not sure it's meant to be cropped or it's just too short.  But I'm very drawn towards it... as in my head it would work really well were they cropped bottoms.  Ideal with flats.  Lovely with an ankle boot (so long as the boot hugged the leg - a knee high boot would also work really well underneath - dear lord, not tucked in) or a strappy sandal.  Very very drawn to this.  Without the shoes.  The shoes are wrong diddly in my opinion.  And cropped - more cropped.  

ASOS Premium Jumpsuit with high neck £55



Short sleeved now and moving onto the slightly more tapered. 

Stretch Twill Jumpsuit from Splendid was £226 now £99.44




Now this isn't dressy enough for a party but believe me when I say these are going to sell like hotcakes this season.  If you want one, I would get hold of one now.  Having said that... black tux blazer, black suede stilettos and leopard clutch - pretty perfect for a night out right now.

This one from Noisy May comes in Tall (which is handy, as opposed to having your nether regions garrotted by a gusset which is what can happen with some of them if you are longer in the body) in the Petite and a Regular 

Noisy May Tall Short Sleeve Jumpsuit with Drawstring Waist £48



Khaki at M&S.  To be honest, I am looking for something a tad dressier.. although again, with a pair of heels and a blazer you could dress this up for a night out.  Leopard print anyone?  Or gold heels...  The silky feel to the fabric gives it that dressier edge.

V Neck Jumpsuit from M&S £49.50




Then there is of course, the long sleeved option.  My favourite shape and what I think would be super useful to go with black, navy and grey jackets, would be this below in the sale at Matches.  

I will also throw it in there that, were you a slave to the more fashionable trends that dominate the magazine pages, this would tick all the boxed for the "pyjama" look.  Which, I'll say now, is a look I probably won't be buying into.  The piped edged silk blouse and wide leg trews as a set which genuinely (and I believe, therein lies the point) look just like pyjamas.  For me they fall very squarely under the heading of "know thy limits" which is a personal thing and for some people it may work beautifully.  I'm doing a swerve on that one. 

But having said that, this would work as a nod to the theme.  I just happen to love the subtle print, the lack of silkiness, the versatility it offers and the fact it looks so darned comfy.  It would also be perfect with my now getting old but still v useful, Reiss black and blue strappy sandals.  They are, for sure the shoes that keep on giving. 

Also throw on a pair of sneakers and a biker jacket and perfect school run attire.  Oh how I love items of clothing like this that offer so many options. 

Striped Cotton Jumpsuit from Vanessa Bruno Athe was £360 now £216




Another long sleeved option that would be marvellous dressed up or down from Tart Collections on The Outnet (I've never heard of them...) 

Rowan Stretch modal-blend jumpsuit was £205 now £98.40





Although this one looks like a bargain from Selected (which is always lovely quality).  I'm not going to lie - I have zero idea how you get in or out of it...(or the one above for that matter.  I do usually end up semi dislocating a shoulder whilst trying to remove the button up the front ones, so the mind boggles as to what sort of contortion I'd have to undertake the strip off these).  Doesn't stop it being gorgeous though.

Selected Genova Jumpsuit £45




However I have finally caved and hawking the hush website has paid off as I found this only this morning, back in stock in a size 10.  I know they're not doing it in the long sleeved in the S/S.  The short sleeved ones they're bringing in are absolutely amazing but they're black and khaki and I have one of each of those already from last year (Kin and Topshop).  That I wear loads and loads and will continue to.  

But a longsleeved one (and I've tried this on and loved it and kept missing out on it) will be just the ticket, so I ordered it as soon as I spied it.  Kicking myself as I should have ordered it with the 20% off they had a while ago.  When it went out of stock. Not making that mistake again.

hush Jumpsuit £75



And here I am when I tried it way back when in September.  Long hair.  Nope, actually still prefer it short.  Which is handy...

Untitled

So today was all about the dress down.  All about the total slob.  Didn't leave the house, did a shed load of washing (all the glamour) and to be honest, I have no idea where the day went.  I do know I did watch Dance Moms for the first time, so that's a new low I've managed to hit.

Plus I did eat cake.  A lot of cake.  The 11yr old who adores baking made the most amazing chocolate cake for my birthday and I haven't been able to stop shovelling it in every time I walked past it on the counter top today.  It's a miracle I'm not wearing any of it.  And I'm not even remotely hungover.  Tired.  But then I'm always tired.  Which mother isn't?

Untitled



Black vest - Primark
Bat sweatshirt - Zoe Karssen
Black Lola joggers - Whistles
Black Edie boots - Seven Boot Lane

Movie night after a big roast which the husband does every week.  Apparently mine isn't as good.  More than happy to acquiesce to that if it means I don't have too cook it.  Result.  

Let the week commence tomorrow.  I am menu planning - any amazing Ottolenghi style salads that anyone wants to share, would be more than welcome.  Got a coupe of favourites that I'm going to be doing for next Saturday and a couple to try this week.  

Are you already a full paid up member of the jumpsuit club or do you think we can persuade you to join this season?!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

50 comentarios:

  1. Hi Kat,
    Are you still doing Style Studios and if so, what email can I use please to contact you? Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! My email is doesmybumlook40@gmail.com. You can also fill out the Contact Me page above as gmail is notorious for its spam filter..!!

      Delete
    2. Ah lovely, thank you, I've sent an email again but would you kindly check your junk box in case it's hiding there!

      Delete
    3. Found it! Will respond tomorrow xxxxx

      Delete
  2. I really want to wear a jumpsuit...and I love the flannel grey one at the top...but last time (and only time!) I tried one on it was so short in the body I couldn't stand up straight or even THINK about sitting down in it so I got scared and have never been near one since :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA ha ha! I have to say, even being tall, I've not really had a problem with many of these. Oh there was a Whistles one which wasn't the most comfy.... Try the Tall ones?

      Delete
  3. A most timely post. Aged 42, I wore my first jumpsuit ever last night. Bought in Coast in the Christmas sales, "Ninette" jumpsuit - Tapered leg, fitted bustier top with crossover chiffon sleeves. I felt the bees knees last night. Going to the toilet though... That was quite an experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even worse after a few drinks, isn't it?!

      Delete
  4. Was reading this and got to the Noisy May denim one and thought "Yay! Petite - I think I'll order that" logged on to Asos to discover I'd already left it in my basket last time I was on there. An omen, surely?
    Dance Moms isn't as low as you can go, either. It's when you start tuning into Jeremy Kyle that life begins to lose its meaning...(Disclaimer - Dance Moms is mine and 12yo's guilty pleasure)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that has GOT to be an omen. I watched it today with my 11yr old and we *may* have set it for sky+ now.. Ok so WHAT has the dance school owner done that means she might go to jail????

      Delete
    2. Bankruptcy fraud and concealment of assets, apparently. Shockingly, we don't think she's the worst one on there!

      Delete
    3. OMG! WOW. Ok so I now also seem to be recording Dance Moms Down Under.. (along with all the Top Models and Project Runway. Chances of the 11yr old getting into Oxbridge at this rate aren't exactly high)

      Delete
  5. I'm a big fan of the jumpsuit, what's not to love its such an easy look to just throw on. The ASOS high neck one looks, ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. I did the the ultimate winter couscous salad the other day but used giant couscous instead. Cooked all the veg in advance and then just threw everything together and into the oven for 10 minutes so I could serve it hot. Was bloody easy but mighty tasty, if I say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous isn't it. Super on trend but also comfy and a pared back classic look. Giant couscous is amazing isn't it. I don't think you can ever go back after you've had that! I think I'm going down the lentil route for one and a chickpea route for another.. Oh and definitely a black rice salad. Tis amazing.

      Delete
    2. Ooh I'd love your recipe for black rice salad as I have 3 boxes of it. Ordered 1 I thought but it was a pack of 3!!! Do you have it to email perchance?

      Delete
  6. Love the Whistles Jenna, have had my eye on that. The shoes are pretty damn gorgeous too! Can't be long before there's a Grazia discount code?! Good luck with the cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am GAGGING for a Whistles or a Warehouse code.. COME ON GRAZIA....!

      Delete
  7. I'm sure I'll be banging on about it all week...! I was waiting for the black one to go into the sale and then it didn't and then it sold out!! But found it today in a 10 so it was obviously meant to be...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fully paid up member Kat. At least 3 that I can remember! LOVE THEM!!! Enjoy your party lovely. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I shall also have 3 now. So so versatile xx

      Delete
  9. I have the Splendid jumpsuit from The Outnet - absolutely love it - quite forgiving and the neckline is fabulous. The Outnet is a great resource for jumpsuits actually - I got a checked volie Marant one off there last year which I love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly the Marant ones are cheaper on Matches than they are on The Outnet! The Splendid one is GORGEOUS but please please do share how you go to the loo in it!

      Delete
  10. Love all of the Whistles ones and think they'll look fab on you! (Can't do sleeveless myself, I'm too self-conscious.) I've been lurking around the Hush site too and so happy to find the Hush tuxedo blazer back in stock!(I guess they are clearing last year's stock?) I already have their "summer blazer" but wanted to get the tuxedo one too as I love how it looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I'm so tempted to buy another hush Tuxedo blazer as I completely completely love mine so much and wear it ALL the time. I honestly think it's perhaps my most worn item of clothing in the past two years - I could do with a "new" one! I cant' recommend it highly enough!

      Delete
  11. Loving the look of all these jumpsuits, although being small have never really ventured into this territory - maybe now's the time! Really commented to let you know about this amazing Ottolenghi cauliflower tabbouleh, so tasty and would be really easy to scale up. You are a brave lady catering for 60!
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/06/yotam-ottolenghi-cherry-beetroot-recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't grate the cauliflower by the way but blitzed in food processor, much easier.

      Delete
    2. OOH now that sounds absolutely amazing thank you. I will have alook at that and might save it for my son's First Holy Communion as I'm doing a roasted cauli, chick pea and harissa salad already (good old Nigella. Tis amazing!) But I can't get enough cauliflower and it sounds like it would be amazing with a roast lamb dish I do. Thank you! xxx

      Delete
  12. Good luck with the party food, 60 sounds a bit daunting to me. I keep thinking about a jumpsuit but I'm worried that pear shaped body may mean that I feel that my bum is super big!!!! I need to ease my self in maybe with the M&S option? Happy Birthday Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you have one that is shirt style at the front and also has a collar, it should balance out your proportions. But if you don't feel comfortable in it then it might now work. You can't wear all of the things all of the time (although you *could* just try it...!) xxxx

      Delete
  13. I adore jumpsuits and have a "few" ;-) Whistles ones are a really good fit for me but I am a titch. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're definitely cut on the smaller side! (cue bits being sawn in half on me..!)

      Delete
  14. I adore jumpsuits and have a "few" ;-) Whistles ones are a really good fit for me but I am a titch. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a lovely evening French Connection jumpsuit in black from last year, the material feels like crepe, divine. I had my eyes on the Hush in Burgundy but not sure if I should go for 8 or 10 (do these jumpsuit size big or small) and I read some reviews that said it creases easily which puts me off at the full price. The only way I could get it now if there was a return ha. Let's see what you say of yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Hush one in black fell into my basket last night when I was ordering some last sale items. Sadly it wasn't in the sale and the burgundy (which is) was sold out. I will await with interest .... I have a black sleeveless one from last summer so was looking for a sleeved one, I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it will be reduced as I think it's sold out again... The short sleeved ones are absolutely gorgeous though - definitely worth a look at. x

      Delete
    2. I'm just pleased to have found one to try on... Reduced or not, it will be a good buy if I get plenty of wear out of it. Next have a khaki one in their spring collection with short sleeves so may give that a go too. Managed to score a great dress from Hush at a very reasonable price and also 2 cashmere jumpers (last week) so am exceptionally pleased so far!

      Delete
    3. DUh, I see you've ordered it. I can guarantee I will be wearing mine loads and loads and loads i've ordered the black biker jacket which should be here shortly - for a start it will look fabulous with that and a pair of sneakers!

      Delete
  17. Not sure I've got the bum for a jumpsuit unfortunately, food wise - nigella does a red pepper and feta salad which, if you buy the jars of red peppers from lidl, takes a minute even if you're feeding loads. I always do it with slow cooked lamb. Also Jamie Oliver does a beetroot salad (think its 30 min meals) which again works well with lamb and if only takes a minute (vacuum packed beetroots and a food processor). Both a really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I LOVE you. So along with the 42 bottles of champagne I bought from Lidl today, I also found the peppers. THANK YOU!! They are so so so much cheaper than Waitrose, I can't tell you! Tonight, the husband has another salad - am putting some lentils in to see if that works - feta, lentils, roasted pepper and parsley with a lemon dressing.. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

      Delete
  18. i have tried jumpsuits on recently but being a bit older than most of you young ladies it just takes me back to my late teens when they were all the rage. I rocked a white one with a big red plastic belt, Red stilettos, and of course the big red plastic button earrings to go with the big perm!! what was i thinking, even worse there are photos of this amazing combo. :( .one of my favourite salads is the spiced chickpea with fresh vegetables. Good luck with the cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just say, I would SO have wanted to be you in the 80s..!

      Delete
  19. That would imply that I'd washed mine yet...I will be washing it exactly as you say! (that's how I do all my cashmere...)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the jumpsuits but ordered the Hush black one at Christmas and I just felt very dull in it, too much black. Maybe the wine colour would be nicer. Loved the Monique skirt on you, that gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me - I'm a fan of black. I personally cant' get enough of it and would happily wear it head to toe but totally appreciate it's not for everyone! The monique skirt, I know it looked great but I just wasn't feeling it , if that makes sense?!

      Delete
    2. I adore black as well, big fan since my teens which is a very long time ago. I think it was the long sleeves and long black legs that put me off. My hair is quite dark too so that probably didn't help. I know what you mean about not feeling it, it was fab though!

      Delete
  21. Size down down and down again on the Asos. It is absolutely gorgeous on, but comes huge. I am a 10 in it (and trust me, I am not a 10)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fate. They had sold out of 12's so i took a punt.... Just to see if I liked to exchange when it came back into stock. And lo! It fitted (actually a little loose!) I will put it down to the benefits of dry Jan 😉 (it's just cut big)

      Delete