The perfect weekend away

Although admittedly, it wasn't a weekend, it was only a day and a night..  BUT I am definitely going to be going back for a weekend.  With my husband.  As a weekend away for us on our own is very, very much overdue. 

Plus
I didn't get nearly enough time to explore the stunning city of Cambridge.  Where I have never actually been before.  HOW?!  How have I never been there?  It is absolutely beautiful.  Ok so admittedly, we were exceptionally lucky with the weather (yes 20degrees in October, you are most welcome).  And the fact that we were taken there by the University Arms for a complimentary evening stay AND dressed by the wonderful Jigsaw clothing, funnily enough, did make it a ridiculously special experience.

The hotel is a well known venue in the centre of Cambridge.  In THE most stunning location, in an architurally sublime building overlooking Parker's Piece.  Which clearly needed some tender, loving care as the refurbishment cost £80m.  And the results are superb.  For a mobile tour of the hotel, do head over to Instagram and to my highlighted stories where there are a whole set of stories on the hotel, entitled Universtiy Arms.

Starting with the rooms.  We were very lucky to be able to stay in a suite with a terrace and a view of perfection.

View from the bed - goes without saying, ridiculously comfortable super king bed.  No I wasn't tempted to do any exercise watching people be very outdoorsy and athletic and fit.  The bed was FAR too comfortable.  Plus there was an electronic ceramic teapot.  I KNOW, RIGHT?!  Earl Grey has never tasted so good.



Untitled

Untitled


Bathroom of dreams.  I will fess up and say I'm not a bath fan but even I was tempted with a tub like this.   (I can confirm that the shower is one of those where you feel the need to stay for a good while longer than you normally would).


Untitled


Decoration to inspire.  There are loads more images over on my stories of the artwork but it is all incredible.  I have come home and am ready to get handy with a hammer, some nails and a good google of amazing print sites (anyone care to share any they recommend, I'd be very grateful!) 


Untitled



Bar and restaurant amazing. This is the bar area - can also confirm that the cocktails make it well worth a visit.


Untitled


Ridiculously fabulous food from Tristan Welch.

Dinner - starter of British Sushi (with wasabi horseradish)  There was also the risotto from heaven - truffle and cheese and a home made burrata.  Main course was roast suckling pig with crackling and braised fennel.  I could pretty much eat it all every single day. 


Untitled


And next day - I just need to show you the hash browns at breakfast  - think marginally smaller than a Rubik's Cube (and yes, for the record they were gluten free..!).  These were an extra side that we ordered by the way.  And yes, that is my black pudding on there too.  Don't judge me.  I LOVE black pudding. 

Untitled


Followed later on Friday by Afternoon Tea.



Untitled


Untitled


The one thing I did want to mention about the hotel is that it has the perfect essence of accessible elegance.  Which is really really hard to find in a hotel.  The Americans seem to be able to do it effortlessly, but I think it's hard to capture in the UK.  Hotels that appeal to me in more feminine sense but are also "manly" enough for my husband.  And ones that I feel I COULD take my children.  It's a really hard thing to encapsulate but I would say that the University Arms ticks all those boxes.  

Also must mention Cambridge.  Oh you are beautiful.  Now up there definitely with my favourite cities in the UK - in good company with Bath, Oxford, Edinburgh, Leeds and York.


Except it's not everywhere you can punt down a river.... for the record, I was NOT the one punting (there was also no cycling, seeing as how I am a sporting related nightmare).  A lovely young student named Ben was out punter (I don't think that's the correct word...!).  Full of information and a lovely young chap to boot.  See what I mean about the sunshine?



Untitled 

Untitled 

Untitled


And obviously.. what did I wear.  So we were allowed to pick a small selection from the Jigsaw website - I chose only a couple of items as I already had some Jigsaw items from last year and earlier in the season which are still instore.  RESULT.  For me - the best outfits are usually those which are made from new and old.

Sport Luxe Wide Leg Crop Trousers from Jigsaw £98



Kodak Retina Tee £3





Premium Leather Jacket £400




Next outift.. now brace yourself.  THERE ARE LEGS ON SHOW!  I have had a faux leather skirt for years.  So when I spied this one, it was a no brainer to try it.  The A line shape makes it so much more wearable than a straight cut mini.  Super flattering - genuinely do try it.  This is a 12 - I am thick of middle and also I do like to wear it slightly lower on the hips as opposed to at my waist like is it here.  Partly as I find it more comfortable but also so that it does hang longer too - at 5ft10, I have more leg to cover with most.

Mini Pleat Front Leather Skirt £150



Jumper Donegal Slouchy Polo £130




I also feel a special mention should be given to these boots.  Which are insane.  In a good way.  In a very good way.  In a "insane in the way my kids use it"... SORRY, that's rubbish isn't it?  (I won't say "my bad" as that does make me want to vomit every so slightly into my own mouth). 

Ok let's start again - these boots are good . They're VERY good.  Better?  They are the boots that I have been looking for in forever.  To throw on for every day with dresses and skinny jeans and not skinny jeans and skirts and with pretty much everything and anything. 

Including mini skirts.  Again - just roll forward a week or so and add opaque tights and a coat and the perfect Autumn outfit for not summer days (although I am loving the weather at the moment, it does have to be said).

They also do them in a navy mock croc online.

   





Untitled

And speaking of loving the weather, it meant that for the Friday when we left, I had to change as I was rather warm in the jumper and boots.  Swapped the jumper and boots for....the tee (another tee from the Kodak range which I've had for a while now - I have to keep my eye on them as the 14yr old keeps eyeing them up) with the same faithful skirt.

Kodak Notebook Tee £30




Pic of outfit.... which I will also be wearing tomorrow, as it is THE best outfit ever.  My own blazer and my own shoes - I wore it out for dinner on Friday night with friends at Chewton Glen and it was much admired. 



Untitled



I feel like I've found my legs again.  Bring on the opaques for Winter.  Is it wrong to wish they did it in a navy as well?!

So a huge thank you to the University Arms and to Jigsaw for such a wonderful couple of days away.  Cambridge, you were gorgeous and I can't wait to go back.

This blog was written as part of a paid partnership with Jigsaw. The view are my own, unedited.


Share this:

CONVERSATION

6 comentarios:

  1. I love the Jigsaw Kodak tees and that's before I saw either of these two! But I shouldn't really own more than one, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kodak tees are amazing, I just wish they weren't white!
    It might be just me, but after a hot summer (or even just the usual odd week of heat), a white tee just gets a bit icky under the arms! Now a pale blue or a marl grey with these prints, I'd be there like a shot! I hope jigsaw gets this feedback - love the graphic tee, not so much the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have the Kodak Sun tee in grey marl :)

      Delete
    2. How did I miss that! Thanks💕

      Delete
  3. Off piste from the blog content but have you seen feather skirts? Jenna Lyons on pintrest...Not for the average shopping trip but with December coming up. Would love you to do a blog on them

    ReplyDelete