Long lost friend

That's what I feel like I have discovered. 

Good old blue denim.  I was a long time without it - months and months in fact - but now I am back to being Forever in Blue Jeans.  (for the next couple of months anyway...) 

I know that a part of my thinking is all due to the Gucci loafer (which may be taking over every waking thought I have.  Just a tad) and going back to classics.  

My head is firmly back in the Graceful camp.  But with a twist thrown in here and there of course... a mere hint of the Disgraceful perhaps?

I'm thinking blazers, bretons, little jumpers, blouses, shirts, tees, trenches and jeans jeans and more jeans - but what sort of jeans?  And frankly the answer to that is how long is a piece of string?  For me, I'm going at the moment with what I know and that's my faithful boyfriend versions. 

I dragged them out of the cupboard recently and have fallen back in love with them all over again.  They are the easiest jeans to fling on at this time of year, especially as they go with pretty much every shoe you can think of.  Heels, flats, sandals, sneakers, sliders, ballet flats or loafers.  Wear with shirts, blouses, jumpers or tees.  Honestly they are super versatile and can be worn from morning through to night. 

I have a couple of super distressed ones and I tried on hundreds before I bought them.  I would like to say I was exaggerating as I am occasionally (only very occasionally mind...) prone to do.  But no, I really think I did.  And in the end, I procured two pairs for around £15 each.  Now that's not to say I wouldn't have paid more were I able to find a pair that I loved - and believe me I tried - as with jeans, I will look absolutely anywhere and everywhere and try anything to get the right fit and Gap and ASOS came up trumps. 

That was about three years ago though when they weren't nearly as prolific as they are now and there are loads more to choose from (or get confused by - depending on which way you look at it...). 

However, fear not, I have sorted the wheat from the chaff and humiliated myself in some changing rooms to bring you the best out there. 

Starting with a big fat fail. 

Topshop.  I was having a Topshop love in at the moment but that all went pear shaped when I convinced myself their jeans would be a good idea.   That'll be a no. 

Ok so on the upside, they have definitely cut their rise higher and what they call "mid rise", in my book would be "high rise".  I then did discover that that's because they should rename "high rise" "Simon Cowell stylee".  Verging on nipple warmers.  You have been warned. 

But back to the boyfriend jeans which weren't so boyfriend. 

Apparently they're supposed to be loose.  Now I genuinely don't my legs are *that* chunky but these are verging on spray on.  Suffice to say, when I come to look for skinny jeans, Topshop won't be my first port of call... (images of circulation being cut off from the thigh down spring to mind...) 

Moto Mid Blue Hayden boyfriend fit jeans from Topshop £40



Now I couldn't even find the right wash but not entirely sure you'll want to be buying these anyway, seeing as I've done such a great job in modelling then.  Topshop I LOVE you and am hugely sorry that the jeans don't work.  Which is gutting as one pair I do wear are from six years ago and I wear them all the time - the Baxters.  I wish you could see how tight they actually are.


Untitled

And they just got tighter...although to be fair, I do believe these are supposed to be a Slim boyfriend.  Not "hermetically sealed to your skin" boyfriend however...


MOTO Acid Lucas Boyfriend Jeans from Topshop £45




Again, I don't think these are the same as the ones above... I'm sure you can find online if you want to buy them (although would you really?).  As you can see, I am very impressed.


Untitled


Zero success at River Island (again, nothing vaguely loose).  Nothing at Fat Face (seriously how SHORT are their jeans?  They only had a cropped boyfriend which came to just below my knee when I held it up so I didn't even bother.  If you are of a more petite stature, you may want to try it...)  And absolutely nothing in the entire jeans section of John Lewis.  And nothing at Forever 21 that didn't look like a rabid dog had attacked it.

However much much more success at Levis.  Yes we're upping the price ante, but what's more classic than a 501?  

I will be honest and say I'm not sure these are for me but on other people (and there was a lady next to me who rocked them) they look amazing.  My advice would be to order a couple of pairs (and size up as I find Levis come up small) and try them on in the comfort of your own home.  Free delivery and free returns from Levis who have the most phenomenal range. 

501 CT jeans for Women - prices vary in different wash.  These were also too short for me (which is definitely what put me off).  I do believe you can get different lengths online.

I tried on the Opaque Indigo which is this shade for £90



I appreciate they don't look that much looser necessarily than the ones above, but trust me when I say they are.... 


Untitled


Also love in the Ink Blot £80



Although perhaps the Onyx Mountain may be my favourite £100. 




However, I am come bearing proper gifts.  So whilst I was at Bluewater, I spoke to a really good friend of mine and explained I was having a disaster trying on boyfriend jeans.  Beyond excited, she exclaimed she had found the holy grail of boyfriend jeans in the most random of all places and could I please put them on the blog... of course I said...where are they from??   The White Company.  And yes.  Who would have thunk it?

Off I trotted keeping her on the phone, keeping her on the phone, keeping her on the phone as I walked to TWC... "right - the only ones I can find, are the Brompton ones.  Is that what you have?". 

"Oh I've no idea what they're called.  I got them last year".

Face.  Palm.  Eyes.  Roll.  

But I still do owe her a massive thank you as I thought whilst I was there I may as well try the Bromptons on and, hats off to you TWC.  They are fabulous.  The softest denim I have felt in an age.  Imagine a pair of jeans that you have worn and worn and worn till they have that velvety baby blanket feel?

The photos do not do them justice - they are amazing. Plus 15% off with the code AL904,

I've put the photo of the white ones up first as they randomly took the best pic.

White Brompton jeans £89



I tried on all the jeans in a 10.


Untitled

The pale blue is a very washed out blue and are also amazing in the darker blue.

Brompton boyfriend jeans in indigo £89



Again, the photo belies how great they are..  I have rolled down one leg so you can see what they'd be like full length or just cropped...



Untitled


In the paler blue £89



They genuinely look better in the flesh.  Trust me.


Untitled

And I've spied them in a grey.... now these are something I definitely don't have and would be infinitely useful.  

In the grey £89




Didn't see them in store but I would say they are definitely definitely worth considering. 

So these are the ones that I could find instore during the week but I will be doing a part two on these with ones that I've discovered online.  I had actually done that earlier today and lost the entire two hours worth of work somehow.  Not exactly at the top of my game after a day yesterday in London which turned into a rather impromptu extended lunch with the best friend after visiting the Vogue exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery and doing some damage at Selfridges (I actually had to return the red eel Gucci loafers I had ordered which didn't fit... ).  Then straight to a dinner party for another of my best friends after consuming a gazillion gallons of water... 

Today I am exhausted - football at 9, followed by swimming with the boys (where I lost all my work) and I have had to have a granny nap this afternoon.  And am going out for dinner and drinks this evening. 

So that's me done for today but finishing with pic from today - revisiting my old boyfriends which I shall be wearing often. 



Untitled

Rainbow Breton jumper - Wyse London 
Real Straight jeans - Gap
Ada jacket - M&S
Red loafers - Gucci
Black Hazlemere bag - Village England

I'm off but I'll be back tomorrow.  Give me your thoughts on boyfriend jeans... I've got more...

Share this:

CONVERSATION

36 comentarios:

  1. Love your outfit today. I love White Company jeans! I have two pairs of their skinnies in white and in grey, perfect fit, great quality for the price (especially with a discount code!) and gorgeous soft denim. Thinking about it, I think I got the grey in the sale. Seriously tempted to try the Bromptons now…dare I gamble and play "Sale Roulette" with them?!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... in my experience all the best stuff always sells out at White Company so good luck with that!

      Delete
  2. I love boyfriend jeans but have to size up to get them baggy on my massive thighs and then they constantly fall down at the waist. Have invested in a belt 😩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there in lies the issue.... you would have think they'd have worked out by now that most women don't have thighs like twiglets.

      Delete
  3. I'm not usually a boyfriend jean fan (a bit too much middle but no hips or bum) but I found a pair in Matalan of all places. They're quite a bright mid-blue and are a "slim boyfriend" and seem to fit well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have thought to look there - fab idea, thanks!

      Delete
  4. I've just ordered a pair from Hush..do you rate them? They've been out of stock for ages, but now in, so I grabbed while I could...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE my black ones from hush.... They're fab fab fab. Excellent idea - I didn't realise the blue were back in stock x

      Delete
  5. I've given up on finding anything to suit me that's actually labelled Boyfriend, they just don't seem to work - and I find the Gap Girlfriend jeans to be really close fitting and almost more of a skinny jean on me.

    Instead I've just bought a pair of Lucky Brand Sweet Straight jeans which look entirely too baggy on the ankle if you wear them full length, but if you cuff them, work really well as a Boyfriend jean replacement with just the right amount of looseness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh god the Gap girlfriends were horrendous on me too. Seriously spray on.

      Straight jeans are next on my list of try ons.. I have a cunning plan...

      Delete
  6. Have so many jeans like you but am in the market for a pair of citizens of humanity vintage Corey's- they look like the perfect boyfriend cut but let's see!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kat did you see that Kate Middleton had the Addison dress from LK Bennett on when they met Pres Obama. I thought the dress looked amazing on you and wonder how it looked so old fashioned on D of C. Did you ever end up buying it? The white jeans look great on you with the Gucci loafers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you. I have to say I did prefer it on me... the shoes she wore were HORRIFIC. I don't know why she dresses like she's 60. She doesn't have to wear shoes like that... but ho hum - each to their own! No I didn't get it - I got the Preen Line one instead. Kate M should wear Preen. She would look AMAZING in their dresses. *bangs head on wall in frustration!*

      Delete
  8. I seem to fall totally in love with my blue jeans, especially my boyfriend jeans this time of year. I do like the change in seasons (apparently it's spring?) and the change in clothes that with it! My boyfriend jeans are a cheat version, though, I followed Susie So So and cuffed and patched an old pair a few years ago. They are old post pregnancy gap jeans, so too big, but belted make great boyfriend jeans, and they were free!

    Love your Gucci loafers, very gorgeous. I have just had my hair olaplexed after a hair colouring marathon to go lighter. Loving the soft curls it gives me. Yours is looking very sleek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a cunning plan for some new jeans which involve some DIY (although I am CRAP at this so it may not materialise!)

      Have to say, the Elasticizer is as good as an Olaplex treatment I'd say! Although I will try it again with the appropriate conditioner - do you use that as well? Apparently it makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  9. Get yee to Gap! Authentic girlfriend go a size up (distressed ones soft, others not). Look just Iike the ones I used to get a hundred years ago from Kensington market. S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lord I tried them but didn't bother posting as not even they called them boyfriend. They were SPRAY ON tight on the legs although fine on the waist.. but I didn't size up.. they'd be huge on the waist though no??

      Delete
  10. Got mine from Uniqlo last year. Great fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good idea - didn't think of them at all!

      Delete
  11. Must admit I've only tried on one pair of boyfriend Jeans. They were a disaster round my middle, so not been tempted since! Think I'll stick to my skinnies and straight!
    Danish Pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have a cunning idea which you may therefore like coming up shortly...

      Delete
  12. Hi Kat. Love your style! Where is your striped top you're wearing in the pics from please? Angielou X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from Wyse London - there is a link under the pic above!

      Delete
    2. Hi Kat, I am keen to buy the Wyse jumper but not sure of the size. I am a size 12 but not sure whether to get the 2 or 3. Can you tell me what size you bought?

      Delete
  13. LOVE the black hush ones, I"m assuming that the blue ones are the same? RIght - so the Gucci loafers are the Jordaan ones.. sometimes called Horsebit loafers. They are in stock in Green in Browns and are in stock in black I think on Bond Street. Best bet for red is Harrods in a couple of weeks or hawking Net A Porter online. (you can put in for your wishlist and it will email when they're back in stock). xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about new shape of cropped/flare/culottes - lots of styling examples at netaporter I'm loving - https://www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/product/649586/steve_j___yoni_p/denim-culottes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a mind reader... watch this space......!

      Delete
  15. Sorry I meant the black & white stripe one you're wearing in your trying in pics, but thanks for answering anyway! By the way I got a perfect pair of boyfriend jeans from au& M on sale, they were an accidental find as H&M isn't my first choice for jeans. I've worn them so much my feet now go through the holes when putting them on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh sorry - it is ancient and pretty rubbish but I love the stripes and the arm length ... from H&M a couple of years ago. Shape is unrecognisable from when I bought it and bobbly tastic. Ugh.

      Delete
  16. Also completely addicted to boyfriend jeans... love TWC grey ones. H&M came up trumps for me too. Must size up but they have just the right amount of bagginess and distressing to avoid unattractive knee bulge. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H&M jean sizing is SO on the unflattering side!!

      Delete
  17. Sorry, don't like boyfriend jeans, on me especially as I have short legs and they make my legs look even shorter and swamp my petite frame! I must say, Kat, I rather like the dark blue Moto Topshop jeans on you but think the grey White Company ones look horrendously frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry, don't like boyfriend jeans, on me especially as I have short legs and they make my legs look even shorter and swamp my petite frame! I must say, Kat, I rather like the dark blue Moto Topshop jeans on you but think the grey White Company ones look horrendously frumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have many like that and I am with you on the even stripes too, hence why I was drawn to it, not that I need another stripy top! ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting industry.

    It's been said that every bettor needs to see this,

    Watch this or stop betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software.

    ReplyDelete