I may have cracked it

Following on from my blog the other day about feeling meh about all my clothes and thinking about small things that you can just add in to make everything that little more interesting.

Today - it's the turn of the midi skirt.  Now I have covered this in numerous guises over the years and I've never quite managed to make them work.  Until now.  I think I've hit paydirt.

Which is handy as pleated midi skirts are everywhere.  And I've decided they are super easy to wear.  Ideal teamed with a slim fit jumper (I got an amazing one from Topshop which is on yesterday's post).   And as you'll see from the styling on the pics below - they are immensely versatile too.  Fabulous in the evening with heels - I have gladiator sandals from years ago (three pairs which are simply the gifts that keep on giving) which will look amazing with them. 

But I'm going to give them a go during the day too....I'm thinking sneakers or flat mules, tee or even a cropped jumper and either a bomber (clearly not me) or biker jacket (*hand up in air*) would be perfect.  

These are what I saw at my trip to Gucci earlier in the week which made me think - oh hello... I need me one of these bad boys (ok so in reality it was more like "nice - wonder if Topshop or Asos do a knock off?")

Gucci Pleated silk blend midi skirt £1220



Or the pleated lame one... £1110 (bargain, no?)   This is the one that would win my vote... ADORE it with the breton. 



So clearly I will not be purchasing a Gucci skirt anytime this century, but that doesn't mean I can't channel the look and find one that serves the same purpose at a fraction of the cost.  And that's exactly what I did find at Topshop, which I showed you the other day.

This is the one that I got. 

I bought the ankle grazer khaki skirt at £49 which on me, is what I think a midi should look like.  And I am going to be pushing the boat out and wearing it next with my trainers (she says optimistically...) 



Now this may well be too long for most people and you would prefer a normal midi length.  They do the same satin skirt on Topshop in Petite, Regular and Tall

But I have had so many people expressing an interest in all things pleated that I thought I'd have a look and bring you the best of the rest (that aren't at Gucci prices.. although if someone could buy that lame one - or the green one, I'm not fussy - I would adore to live variously through you).  One thing people have said though, is that these only work if you are tall and willowy.  I beg to differ.  Yes I think it's difficult to get the length right (an issue us tall people also have and I do think one of the reasons these haven't worked for me before), but if you get a petite size - I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't wear it if you're more diminutive. 

I am also very taken with the pink at Topshop which alas for me, they don't do in an ankle grazer length but they do in a regular, tall and petite....

Pink Satin Pleated Skirt £45  Amazing bubble gum shade which would look fabulous with black, navy, grey or khaki.






And in the navy £45 (only regular length).



If you asked me, I would say that the ones above have a metallic sheen to them.  But if you want silver then I love this metallic one from Mango.

Metallic pleated skirt from Mango £29.99



Or if you're looking for something for a special occasion, then I adore this one from Maje at Selfridges.

Maje Jaures Metallic Skirt £199




Striped now at Dorothy Perkins and I don't think this is a full skirt but I have to say I quite like this (well - I LOVE the colours for a start). 

In the midi version £38.  Ok so they're not exactly selling it to you with this pic but I promise you, this would look so so much better styled differently.  For a start, a shorter/more fitted short sleeved (or long for that matter) super fine knit in black with some flat gladiator style sandals, just off the top of my head.  And for now - with a black (or white or khaki or blush) thin knit jumper, biker jacket and white sneakers.



And they do it in a yellow colourway as well, again £38 (the vest and necklace I fear don't do this any favours).




But they also do a maxi version - which, for those super tall amongst us - will be a proper midi length.  Or for those of you who love a maxi in the Summer, this is lovely.  I do want to explore shortly "what do you wear in the Summer if you don't do boho", as this year, it does seem to be boho crazy.  Well for a start, this would be top of my list.  Clean lines, a crisp look yet still light, summer and relaxed. 

Khaki Stripe Pleated Maxi Skirt £40







Sticking with the maxi and a black pleated one from Wallis which is a complete steal.  Perfect if you're not sure about the look and want to try it out without investing too much. 



Speaking of styling - this wouldn't be my bag but the skirt in isolation could be amazing.   I love the two different styles of pleating - makes it look much more expensive in my book. 



However some of my favourite are from ASOS and this one is amazing.  Unsurprisingly, how they're put their outfits together, I've got to say I prefer.

ASOS Pleated Skirt in mink and pink £35 Absolutely adore the styling here.





And to prove how useful I think these are - I have already worn mine.  Always the sign of a good purchase - when you want to wear something immediately after buying it.  

Last night - my niece's 18th birthday party. (How?  Seriously how is she 18?  She was my teensy tiny bridesmaid and now she's planning cocktail night out for us.  Doesn't make me feel geriatric at all. 

Loved my outfit (although I SO need to do some work on my core as by the end of the night, the size 12 was super tight on my waist).

Untitled

Black pussy bow blouse - Zara
Khaki midi skirt - Topshop
Onyx leather jacket - hush
Black sock boots - Iro Paris
Leopard print patent bag - Tory Burch

I'm off now to take the smallest to a birthday party and then straight onto a train for dinner and a Charity Theatre Gala evening thingy (apparently it's not that dressy... I hope as I've hedged my bets with a jumpsuit).

I know I said I was going to do shoes today... well, I am still umming and ahhing about this so in the meantime, seeing as I was so pleased with my outfit and my skirt discovery, this took precedent.  The shoe dilemma rumbles on... Will bore you with my musings tomorrow. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

23 comentarios:

  1. Was reading one of the old trinny and Susannah "dress to impress/express/compress" (or whatever) .....and they advise chucking pleated skirts and leather jackets. No foresight at all clearly. It all comes back in some form. I look like a well dressed hobbit in pleats but I love them on others. Saw a spectacular pair of pleated palazzo pants on a friend. So beautiful , so swishy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that word swishy! To be fair, over the years there is loads I've chucked that I should have kept (mourns wide leg cream and black trousers and all those A line suede midi skirts!)

      Delete
  2. I just want to say that I love the fact that you post every day. I follow several blogs and can always count on yours to have something new to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those Dotty P ones. They look as though they'd be very easy to wear too. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm - I am not in love with the ones that at sitting right under the knee; Granny-zone and not in a good way. This needs some serious styling to avoid the 'sensible' look. I would love the second Gucci one but may have to do a little (a lot of?) searching and find the right length and colour. Yours, as ever, looks amazing - damn you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes and yes! That's why I didn't wear them for so long - I'm loving the proper midi lengths - Mid Calf which is what I think works best for me anyway. And yes - you need to be careful with the styling. I think a biker jacket and you can't go wrong!

      Delete
  5. That one from Wallis is great.
    Thank you for cheering me up, am feeling sorry for myself due to a boutique of flu!
    Danish Pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness you poor poor thing. Hope you feel better soon xxxx

      Delete
  6. I love the pleated midi but two c-sections on an already high waist are not favourable conditions for a waistband. In fact, said waistband would invariably be swallowed up by rolling muffins at waist/hip intersection and may require surgical removal. Alas, not for me. Looks fabuloso on you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my lord I've just spat my coffee out. Yes - maybe not...!!!

      Delete
  7. Who,just who,is doing the styling for DP??? The horror...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "interesting" to say the least... does make you wonder who their demographic is these days? Even the Wallis ones look slightly better!

      Delete
  8. Well.. I am very thick of waist (becoming thicker by the week so it seems - I've just tried my SP dresses on,one of which I haven't even worn and it's SO TIGHT. SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!!) So Im starting pilates next week and am eating Clean from monday.

    Right - though - back to cropped trousers... smart ones? I haven't tried from Finery, I only have the jumpsuit from there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kat love your posts as always, could you please do a post on tops for the day I'm at a real loss what to wear now the weather is slightly warmer. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting one. And yes I've got some more options coming up. I love a thin knit jumper at the mo which I have covered recently. I think if you click on the "jumper" label in the list below (can you see - right at the bottom of the blog!) and go through them - the first couple should give you some options. Will be exploring tees shortly though, for sure xx

      Delete
  10. Love, love, love, the pink & red polka dot ASOS one and with a white tee and sneakers it is so my kind of look but my hips are on the Hattie Jaques side of matronly and I look frumptastic in pleats. I love the Topshop one on you with the Hush jacket. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely going to be wearing it dress down this week... fingers crossed it works!!

      Delete
  11. You must be psychic - this post was just what I was looking for as I had in mind a pleated skirt based 'outfit' for a wedding in June, but all the navy pleated ones keep selling out! Off to look at the spotty ones now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so pleased!!! I think the spotty one would be fabulous for a wedding x

      Delete
  12. You must be psychic - this post was just what I was looking for as I had in mind a pleated skirt based 'outfit' for a wedding in June, but all the navy pleated ones keep selling out! Off to look at the spotty ones now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't jumped on the wagon of pleated skirt, but couldn't stop oggling them. See, I wore one on my engagement lunch party 6 years ago, so lots of sitting. So imagine me mortified when I noticed how uninviting my tush looked admist all those crumples. The pleats back then wasn't made for sitting.. Are they better now today?

    ReplyDelete