Finding your uniform

Ok so that does sound a tad didactic but there is method in my bossiness.

I was having this conversation just this morning.  How finding items of clothing that work for you, that are easy to put together, that you can mix and match and, most importantly, that you feel comfortable and fabulous in will make all the different to your life. 

Now I know that sounds rather over dramatic but, believe me, it's true.  The personal confidence that comes with feeling great both inside and out - a contentment if you like - radiates from you. 

With age also comes the giving less of two hoots about a lot so take that thought and run to your wardrobe and have a good look.  Take a bit of time and go through it.  Trying things on, putting things together that you may not have previously thought of pairing.  

Think about what you do during the day - I always advise dressing for the lifestyle that you have, not the lifestyle that you want.  But you can mix things up.  A dressy dress that you would normally wear for best - why not try it with a pair of ankle boots or trainers.  With a leather jacket or a trench.  

Or you may be a jeans, trainers, jumper and coat lover.  Switch it up with a blazer in the Summer - in the Spring maybe with a biker jacket and a pair of ankle boots.  

I think everyone can divide their wardrobe down into three or four favourite looks.  And don't be afraid of embracing them.  Yes, ring the changes by trying something different but if you don't feel it works then go back to what you love.  (although I would always say nip to the supermarket in it - the world won't fall of its axis and take a change of clothes in the car in case you HATE it - saves you a return trip to pick up the shopping!)   But at least you would have tried.  A small tweak here or there can make actually a really big difference.

One of my staples in my wardrobe that I put on and instantly feel calm and confident in, is a maxi skirt.  I wear these all year round.  No I don't wear tights (admittedly I would draw the line at donning one of these in the snow) as my legs don't get cold!  But of course you can add a pair of opaques.  

These work with chunky jumpers now - into the Spring, a tee (short or long sleeved) with a blazer or biker is utterly sublime - and YES - my absolute uniform of choice.

Starting with one that is my absolute favourite.  So much so that I've ordered it (with the matching top) as I spent ALL Summer looking for a dress like this.)

Mojave panelled check cotton skirt from Ace & Jig was £307 now £153 Now with an extra 20% off!





Black and white again at Biba in the sale. 

Biba Zebra Print Skirt was £70 now £42




Tiered is the name of the day and I have tried this one on about 4 times but it's too short for me to be a maxi.  If you're shorter than 5ft10, it would be PERFECT for you.  Would handwash like a dream.  Wear now with a huge cream or pink sweater or sweatshirt and tan boots... trainers and a tee with a little denim jacket for the Spring and Summer.

Dodo Bar Or Silk Crepe Skirt was £515 now £104





Matching crop top optional with this one... 

Best of Me Co-ord in rust from Free People £88




Dainty Polk Dot Skirt from Ganni was £170 now £119





Elise Skirt from hush £79




Incredible print in the sale at Anthropolgie so long as you are an XS or an XL. 

Louvre Maxi Skirt was £128 now £37.95




In the sale again at Anthro... 

Kani Floral Print Skirt was £168 now £89.95




And the BARGAIN one from Issa at House of Fraser.

ISSA petite butterfly print maxi skirt was £90 now £27




It might not be everyone's cup of tea - brown that is - but brown and navy together can elevate everything blue in your wardrobe.  If you don't do black, this is perfect.  Looks amazing as well with white.  But for all the navy lovers, this is ideal.

Tiered Printed Skirt from See by Chloe at The Outnet was £395 now £158



And it doesn't have to be full - it can also be straight or bias cut. 

This from hush in the sale.  Oh hello.  

Yasmin Skirt was £59 now £30




Now for the leopard print... 

I have a skirt this shape from Zara in leopard, which I bought 8 or 9 years ago and it's AMAZING.  I still have it and wear it a lot.  

Selected Femme Maxine Leopard Print Skirt from Anthropologie £75
sd



Adelaide Midi Skirt from Finery London £89




Print again and new in at Finery.  The best things about these sorts of skirts are that they can be worn now with chunky knits and then into the Spring with lighter jumpers and tees.  Boots or trainers.  Oh and did I mention that if you don with a blouse and heels or sparkly flats - they double up as an evening outfit as well.

Alberte Floral Skirt from Finery £69




Stradivarius midi skirt £19.99




ASOS DESIGN polka dot skirt £35




And here I am in one of my (admittedly) many maxi skirts - a summer skirt dressed for Winter


Jumper - Bella Freud (sale aw18)
Skirt - La DoubleJ from Matches (sale aw17)
Trainers - Golden Goose from FarFetch (sale aw17)
Blazer - Zara (2yrs ago)
Bag - Loreak from Quattro Rish (aw18)
Glasses - Walter & Herbert (aw18)
Scarf - Gucci from Bicester Village (aw17)

So I think tomorrow I will be doing another uniform staple of mine that last for years and years... oh yes... JEANS!!! I'm going in.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

5 comentarios:

  1. I have a couple of midis, but as yet no maxis. But I don't really wear skirts (I have 7 or 8, but only wore three last year), so while I love these skirts on others they'll never be fo me!
    But yes to a uniform, it makes life so easy! I have a few, mostly involving some element of dress up/ dress down like a hoody with a blazer, dressy trousers with a biker, or a navy trouser suit with slogan tee and sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh maxi skirts, how I wish I could wear you! At 5 foot 1. however, I feel it's not meant to be. Too sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucy evans, I am 5foot 3, i wear maxi skirts, just make sure they are not too wide, i love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you get the right length for you Linda? I always feel they swamp me!

      Delete
  4. I have a uniform and it's what makes me sad - it means I feel like I'm wearing the same things every time even if I have hundreds of different variations! Then I buy different stuff and never wear it - so clearly there's no pleasing me!

    ReplyDelete