Satchel Mania and My Lust of the Day

The humble satchel has been around since Jesus was a boy (not sure he had one but if he did he probably had matching sandals - the GQ man of his day)  I definitely had one.  I distinctly remember it was red, had Sesame Street characters on the front and was from Spain (random)  Probably wouldn't have worked for me today (hmm)  but boy did I love it way back when. 


I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to take credit for the re-emergence of the satchel today.   However if Mulberry and Proenza Schouler were to cage fight for the honour, my money would be on PS and the PS1.  Which, if money were no object, I would have hands down.




But as I don't currently have a spare £1200 odd, I shall be making do with something slightly more.... errr.... classic (sounds much better than cheaper doesn't it?)

Which brings me to the current crop of traditional satchels that are sweeping the fashion world.  Main contender is probably The Cambridge Satchel Company.  Gorgeous good quality leather satchels in an array of stunning colours and shapes. 

I, however, am drawn to another kid on the block, Zatchels.  Whilst I do like the very traditional styles in more modern colours, I adore the range of textured leather and patterns (yes patterns!!) that Zatchels have. 

Size wise, I think I'll definitely be going for one of the larger ones.  Despite having 2 kids at school and one virtually at full time preschool, my need for a large bag doesn't seem to have dissipated.  The larger the better.  I'd also have a handle added (the wonderful thing about their site is that, as the bags are all made to measure, you can seemingly have all the little details bespoke!) 

But oh what colour to choose........

Well I think I'm going to go for something bright. I've pretty much filled my tan/camel bag quota (although I'm not sure you can actually have too many, despite what the husband says)

I already have a fuchsia bag which has been so surprisingly useful. I think it's probably got to be green.

But then, they have the most amazing limited edition Ladybug Cracked Leather satchel.  Yes, you read that correctly.  How wrong does that sound?  Only it's so wrong it's just completely and utterly right!  The more I look at it, the more I'm drawn to it.  I should probably wait a week or so just to check it's not hormonal....

I think I need to do an outfit inventory to see which works best.  Of course I could just choose one and then work my entire S/S wardrobe round it.  (which sounds infinitely more sensible to me!)

So I can't choose and am having Lusts of the Day. 







Any preferences?  And will you be doing a satchel this year?  What colour/print/pattern/make will you go for?!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

10 comentarios:

  1. I adore green elephant print satchel, I have absolutely no need for it but I'm still tempted to buy it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And since when did "need" ever come into the equation?!

      Delete
  2. Silly question but what do grown ups put in the name section? Despite liking square bags I think those satchels are too stiff looking for me. Have you looked at the Bayswater satchel?

    PS if you click on my name it should take you to my new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm I'm thinking nothing. I'm guessing it's just for show? I know exactly what you mean about being too stiff looking. One of the reasons that I like the textured leather ones - I think it softens them slightly? And so funny you should say that about the Bayswater satchel. I think the satchel is too small for me personally, but I have ummed and ahhed over an Oak Bayswater for about 5 years now!
      The fact that I haven't bought one and have bought a myriad of other bags in the meantime, leads me to think that perhaps they're not for me.
      Will check out the blog! x

      Delete
    2. I have been looking at these recently as i was looking for a satchel for my daughter for when she starts Junior school in September. There's so many I want for me though, lol!!!
      I do love the green elephant skin one, that's the one i'm drawn to for myself tbh.

      Delete
  3. My inner Bet Lynch is drawn to the cream reptile print one:
    http://www.zatchels.com/bags/cream-reptile-print-leather-satchel.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute. Lovely for the Summer. Really really lovely. I don't think it's too Bet Lynch at all. Must try harder Donna!!!

      Delete
  4. The Cambridge Satchels are amazing - my husband was sent one as a sample by the company (he has a case/bag manufacturing co)and I was lusting over it so much! So beautifully made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Lucky husband. I'm assuming that you "borrowed" it?! What colour did he get? Have heard great things about TCS company but I have to admit I do love the quirkiness of the Zatchels one. Thank goodness i'm not looking for a plain one otherwise I'd be so so torn as to which to buy from!

      Delete
  5. Sorry Kat I can't get past the Proenza Schouler.... drool!

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete