It's the one in not very often, folks.

Yes, it's beauty time.  And since I haven't done one since the beginning of the Summer, I figured a blog on beauty related things was overdue. 

Yet again, I feel I should point out for those who aren't aware, I am a complete *farty* when it comes to beauty.  To say I am no expert is an understatement.  And to say it's something I don't relish spending money on, is also very true.

What has been making me happy over the Summer months?  Also rather apt, as I shall be making use of some of these next week when we head off to Florida. 

Starting therefore with my find of the Summer and that's a fake tan.  A temporary, wash off fake tan.  These have come such a long way compared to the versions I remember from twenty years ago which would rub off on the nearest person you happened to bump into.  Far more longevity, super natural colour and ridiculously easy to apply. 

It also appears that I am the last person to know about these.  I picked one of these up in Ireland way back in the Summer and started waxing lyrical about it to anyone who would listen.  And every single bugger replied "oh I've been using that for forever.  It's amazing.  Use it all the time".  Well thanks for sharing guys. 

So Public Service Announcement - get yourself some of this.  I even now apply to my ankles if I've got flesh on show.  Takes all of 30 seconds, genuinely.  And yes - all tell me you knew about it before and have been using it for years.

Rimmel Sunshimmer Water £6.99 was £5.24





Then onto lipsticks.  The perfect pink lipstick.  Light, moisturising, obviously not green.  Works to the shade of your own lips so is guaranteed to suit.   Has become my every day lippie of choice.

Lipstick Queen Frog Prince £22




And the perfect red.  I should possibly pre empt this by saying it's not if you want a full on red red.  This is a red lipstick for people who didn't think they could wear red lipstick.  It's verging on sheer but you can layer up for a deeper look.   The only thing I would say is that it doesn't have the longevity of a more pigmented red but it's more moisturising and less drying than most others I have tried.   It's apparently Lipstick Queen's best selling lippie, which says it all. 

Lipstick Queen Medieval £22


Staying with beauty and my other must have, time saver product is something I use every day.  Now I did stop using it for a while as I read a scaremongering article about it turning blue eyes brown or something and my eyelashes returned to being stumps.  I then did more research (as in I googled a couple of things... and read the ones that looked positive.  Isn't that what research a la google involves these days?) and there really doesn't seem to be anything that indicates anything dodge. 

It's also now available from Feel Unique which means you can get a discount on it (there's almost always one available online) and don't have to pay P&P like you do at QVC.

Revitalash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner £69 This really really works.  You don't think it's going to and then overnight at 4 weeks, you have eyelashes on speed.  Amazing.



I am a complete fragrance whore.  In the nicest sense of the word.  And this is my current pong of choice.  I first discovered this at Penelope Chilvers, where she brings it back in bulk from Spain but alas they don't sell it online (in store they have the most ridiculously handy little 30ml plastic bottle for £5 which is perfect, perfect handbag size).  If you like a citrus, zesty fragrance, you simply have to try this.  It's completely unisex, I have had more than a couple of people ask me if it's a Tom Ford fragrance.  Honestly, it's sublime. 

However I have just ordered this size for my holiday.  





Now I did try in Liberty's, the body lotion and body wash and it did smell gorgeous but it randomly didn't smell the same to me.  As I'm going on holiday, I am also going to be treating myself to the Deodorant.









And the other fragrance that I have been loving is a Jo Malone one which I discovered either at the back end of last year, or the beginning of this and I can't remember if I've shared.  The thing about Jo Malone is, as much as I love it and have worn it for 15yrs now, it has become rather ubiquitous. 

But I have never ever come across anyone else wearing this scent (other people clearly do as it can't just be me who buys it!) and is always commented on when I wear it.  What does it smell like?  Hmm, it's a fresh, woody fragrance that is definitely on the unisex side as opposed to anything vaguely floral.  I also think it has a hint of spice to it which is why, for me, it comes into its own in the Autumn. 

Jo Malone London Earl Grey & Cucumber £43  Also available in 100ml for £86


Hair wise.  This.  Nothing else to be said - it's amazing.  I have recently had an Olaplex treatment but honestly, I think this is a better investment.  

Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment £29.50



I'm also always asked about how I've been curling my hair.  I used to use the Babyliss Curl Spitty out thingy but gave that up in favour of one of these.  Miles quicker and I think gives a better wave on shorter hair.


Staying with hair - these are sold by a lovely lovely friend of mine, Cathy who owns the wonderful Alice's Wonders.  I need to order these in bulk.  For me and the 12yr old to stop her stealing mine.  Anyone else has a daughter who does this?

Dark Hair Elastic Sets from Alice's Wonders £2 a pack


Or the grey/silver/turquoise hair bands £2


But the three things that genuinely make a difference to my feeling of personal well being (I would love to say one of them is avocado but it so isn't) are perfume (covered above), Botox and candles.  

A random concoction but one that works.   I mentioned the big B way back in May, but I do think it's something that we should discuss every now and again.  I am super happy to admit that I adore a Botox jabbing (pretty sure that's not the technical term but we've already established that I'm no expert on these things).  As I mentioned last time, it just takes five years off you.  It does something that no cream can, in 10 minutes.   And for me, lasts 6 to 8 months.  Which does depend on the individual but amongst my (many) friends who have it, this seems to be the norm.  

Everyone I know uses the supremely amazing Dr. Ellie Holman who works in London and the South as well as in Dubai.  I will admit I have only used her so cannot compare to others but the reason I love her (and I know that others say the same) is because her treatments are so subtle.  She is so talented at making you still look like you - just an improved you!  When I think of what I used to spend on creams and now - I just use my beloved Emma Hardie products now - I'm randomly saving money.  And my skin has never looked better. 

If you are thinking of having it, but aren't sure, do ask any questions here or get in touch with Dr. Ellie.  Contact details are on this link.

And finishing with something that I'd much rather spend my money on and makes me feel far better than any face cream - my beloved candles.  An instant mood enhancer.  To some people it's a new eye shadow, to me, it's a candle.  

Currently 15% off my favourite range which is Brown and Drury with the code TakeKat15.   There are two new fragrances in the Heritage of Warwickshire Collection. 



The Tudor Candle at £25 and also The Warwick Candle also £25


These are both perfect Autumnal scents although, as I always say, my favourite is still the Restoration.  I am a complete candle addict and one of the things I love about these candles is that they are so different from other candles on the market.  So many of them smell so similar but the Brown and Drury ones really do have a unique scent.  The second thing I love about them is the refill service that they offer.  See website for details.  Highly recommended (if you don't like an Autumnal woody fragrance and prefer something fresher and more zesty, you must try the Siciliano).  And no, I have absolutely no affiliation with Brown and Drury at all - I merely came across them through Instagram!

So I'm off to light my candles (I think I may be justified in cracking out the Winter Spice...) and catch up on Strictly with a pizza and a glass of prosecco (I have just discovered the mini mini bottles - how did I not know about these before?!).  

We had the most fantastic day at Bluewater - sushi, cinema and some shopping.  One of those days when everything was just perfect.  Except for me not buying anything.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Although I was looking for jeans.  Which isn't proving to be remotely a depressing experience.  No, not at all.  I will fill you in on another day as the saga continues.



Black cashmere jumper dress - hush
Leopard coat - M&S
Dre jeans - Rag & Bone from Cocaranti
Susanna boots - Chloe
Half moon bag - APC

As always I would love to hear your beauty tips and any must haves you've come across recently.  Like I say every time, I am absolutely no expert in this area and tend to stick with what I know!


Share this:

CONVERSATION

47 comentarios:

  1. I have been wearing Jo Malone's Earl Grey and Cucumber for years and now everything else comes up short if I try something different. I must smell nice because now both my sister and sis in law wear it too! The only thing to rival it for scent is Caudalie body scrub/oil, which is completely different but every bit as gorgeous. Must admit, I've not tried wash-off fake tan, but think I just might as the remnants of my Florida tan from July are now almost non-existent. Have a great holiday - my parents went back 2 days ago (they only come home for christmas/new year between now and Easter) and I Face Timed them tonight and apparently it's rather warm still. They are about 3 hrs SW of Orlando, but there's not much difference in the temp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, it's not just me! Is it the Caudalie Divine scrub? That is indeed absolutely gorgeous and I've got that too!!

      It does look the temps are cooling off slightly in the next week which is good - along with the rain!

      Delete
  2. I wear the Jo Malone Earl Grey and Cucumber too but still love the classic Lime Basil. Enjoyed your round up - my 2 classics ( that I can think of at 8.30 on a Sunday morning) are Benefit's " Lemonade " which is an eyeshadow primer which takes all the fetching pinky/ purple out of tired lids ( God, or is that just me ?!! ) and for when I let my hair dry naturally ( too lazy), Aveda's " Be Curly ". Keeps curl without the crisp .
    Have a great hol - very envious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup another LBM fan here for sure! Hmm I haven't recalled pinky eyelids... I just look like death most of the time! Now you see, my hair isn't curly, it's just a rubbish kinky wave.. I wonder if it would work for that?

      Delete
  3. I too, have not tried wash off fake tan! Probably because I'm too sceptical about it not rubbing off on clothes, furnishings etc. I do use cliniques tinted fake tan though, I like it as I can see that I've got an even coverage, and it's not too dark.
    I love perfume with citrus tones, my current favorite is Guerlains Aqua Allegoria in Pamplelune, I tend to use it in the summer. For the winter, I use Origins Ginger Essence. For an understated daytime scent I use Clean in Fresh Laundry.
    My go to hair care product is morrocan oil, split ends are a thing of the past! And I love cliniques chubby sticks for lip colour, they are semi transparent so my natural lip colour comes through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should try it - it's really really good. I must try that Origins Ginger - that sounds amazing, thanks for the tip. Another chubby stick fan. Oil wise, I will say that the Ojon oils I personally find way better than the Moroccan Oil but that's just my personal preference x

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the round up...totally agree on the Revitalash front - you have to persevere and then bingo! My must have products: Benefit Porefessional face primer; Kneipp bath oils (online only); Wella Professional color recharge conditioner for my red coloured hair (online or salons only); Garnier Summer Body moisturising lotion in Deep works all year round on my pale celtic skin. Will have a look at the Rimmel wash off one. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's it amazing? It's a complete wonder product, isn't it? I will check out your other recs, thank you xxx

      Delete
  5. Hi is that a new coat you are wearing? it looks like the same one that i am picking up at marks today, hope it fits as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's new in last week - it's just the M&S collection one for £69. As the Limited one sold out, I picked this one up as soon as I saw it. Will sell out super quickly, I think....

      Delete
  6. I have ordered the deodorant to try. I usually buy Cashmere Mist but thought I would be adventurous and try something a bit different!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post with some fab beauty choices (am really intrigued by the Aqua de Colonia fragrance) - although I'm distracted by the leopard coat you're wearing! I bought the M&S faux fur one, which I love, but now I can see how useful a wool one would be. Now I'm torn whether to return the faux fur or, dare I say it, consider both. So much for my recent coat clear-out - it's like whac-a-mole! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG whac a mole, that's hilarious. Right - this is very different from the faux fur one in that it's a wool blend - think slightly brushed as opposed to a full fur. I have the fur one from last year although I did try and get the one from this year and couldn't..! BUT with hindsight, I LOVE this and perhaps it is more useful. Although I think you can definitely justify both - they are different.. (ish!)

      Delete
  8. Have you seen the other fur coat in marks at £119.00 bit expensive, but its the one that fit me the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the one with the black collar? That's similar to the one I had from last year - I was looking for one less furry if that makes sense? It's gorgeous quality x

      Delete
  9. Hi Kat, I absolutely adore the blog, you inspiration!!

    Anyway candle question:
    Do you use White Company Candles, I always buy one of their seasonal candles; I didn't for the autumnal it just didn't tick the boxes for me!! But I have been sent a 20% voucher so I am tempted to order the Winter one... I don't have time to smell it (voucher runs out tonight) but have you? Is it nice?
    Also I normally have a neom burning constantly, but I feel, like you mentioned the smells are all becoming too similar, its quite boring now. Would you recommend the Brown and Drury to fill a whole room (the back of my house is entirely open plan and so is quite a large space!)?
    Which one is a good warming scent?
    Candles are just the best no? They can really lift a mood!!

    Thanks, + wow, I am amazed at how you manage to do all of this and look after three children and a dog!! #superwomen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT - White Company Candles, some I love, some I don't - same as all candles. Winter and Cassis are my favourite. But I need a three wick one to fill my kitchen (open plan like you said). However the B&D Restoration you can smell everywhere - the one wick one. Honestly they are amazing, I really really wouldn't recommend if I didn't love them and use them over and over. The Sciliano is also very fragrant and citrus (but without that spa element the Neom ones have). I haven't got used to the Warwickshire collection yet - I've only had them in my sitting room but I'll burn one in the kitchen so I can see.

      Winter White Company is amazing - it's still my favourite Christmas candle bar none. I am also looking to get the new pomanders to hang around the house! But the Autumn one was not on par at all.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU!!!

      Delete
  10. Definitely going to try Aqua de Colonia, as you have very similar taste to me in fragrance, so I just know I'll love it. As for the Brown and Drury candles, there's no excuse for me not to check them out as I'm in Warwickshire and I've just had a peek and there are lots of local stockists. Thank you for this post. I'm not a big make up fan either but there's so much more to beauty than just make up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to chip in- the winter candle from white company is lovely though quite strong. Have just smelt mine and smells like Christmas according to my 10 year old.sort of pine trees and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not at all... Thank you, I think I'll get it!! x

      Delete
    2. Sorry for not seeing this yesterday - it's gorgeous honestly - best Christmas fragrance there is and I've tried lots.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for all the beauty recommendations. I haven't used sun shimmer for years and it wasn't that good at the time. They must have improved it. I am addicted to Origins Ginger Essence. Love it but am considering a change so will go and check out your recommendations! Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly it's NOTHING like it used to be!

      Delete
  13. I would love to try a little of the B (!) but live in the Midlands so have no idea where to go for it...am so scared of ending up with "frozen face"! Any recommenddations..would just like a little bit to roll back the years slightly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know... it's worth ringing Ellie as she may have a trip to the Midlands booked!

      Delete
  14. Your wand thing is only £16 in Boots at the moment... after reading your blog this morning, I decided that I just had to have one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed. Super easy to get the hang of and if I can do it in 10 mins, anyone can.

      Delete
  15. Oh I LOVE the Early Grey and Cucumber JoMalone. In fact I've just run out of the one I bought about 18 months ago on a work trip to NYC so need to replenish sharpish. It's such a lovely fresh scent I love it. I'm a big fan of the Marc Jacobs splashes and this filled the void in the year they didn't bring any of those out. Now it's a firm fave. Good for day or night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's interesting as none of the MJ ones do anything for me at all!!!

      Delete
  16. Love the outfit, have you found your apc bag scratches easily? I have found mine to be very delicate. Have you used any protector on yours? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - ridiculously so. Alas, I think it's part and parcel of the bags. Same with the Mansur Gavriels. Almost wish I'd got it in the brown as I saw a lived in looking one the other day and it looked gorgeously vintage whereas I think mine just looks a bit shit!!

      Delete
  17. Totally agree about the lipsticks I have both of them too! My mate Sue bought me the green one and I did raise an eyebrow but the colour is, as you say, a perfect everyday light berry ish tone and the Medieval is probably the most flattering red, slightly darker than lip colour and goes a treat with a Breton top for the full French chic thing! Haven't tried eyelash stuff due to internet fear (glad you addressed that issue!!) however as you have rated this one I'll look out for it and maybe bite the bullet. Thanks Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome!!! xx (and sod's law I bloody well can't find my Medieval now. SOB!)

      Delete
  18. Good post as ever. Just got the curling wand for £10 from Boots! Can't wait to pick it up and try to do something with my hair. Going to get the colonia as well, love Aqua Di Parma so sure will live this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Aqua di Parma - you will LOVE the scent.

      Delete
  19. The Remington wand is on offer at boots for a tenner!, and it's amazing!, another really good wash off tanner is st tropez, it doesn't budge at all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an amazing tip - I will try that thank you thank you xxx

      Delete
  20. Hi Kat, love the blog, such a fun read! Any product recco for protecting hair when using the heat tools? Feel like I'm frying my hair. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right - I use an Ojon oil although not sure that works as a protector and the John Frieda Frizz Ease mousse which is v v good xx

      Delete
  21. thanks for re mentioning the candles I was going to ask you about the place you spoke about ages ago that does the refills such a good idea!
    fairy

    ps I sent back the marant trainers they were a bit small and for £225 I didn't love them so off they went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. And don't they come up REALLY small??! do you see what I mean about that top bit. That's a carcrash waiting to happen....

      Delete
  22. Def checking out that scent next time go to Spain - love something light I can chuck on. For something I use a bit more springly can I recommend Le Labo Bergamot? I got obsessed with this after having some in a fancy hotel bathroom products . It's very spendy and only available in UK at Libertys or Net a Porter but worth a sniff if you're passing Libertys. I adore it!!! Thanks for the H and M tiger jumper recommendation as I have mine on now - so cosy! I got a S for a 10/12 and its huge but in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  23. PS hard to track down medieval!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great blog! Will be trying the 'green' lipstick and the lemony scent. Oh and I love candles so will definately give The White Company ones a try.
    I am booked in for my first bout of B in a couple of weeks!! Having my 11's done but they are more like 111. Which areas do you have done? Am contemplating my forehead aswell. Using someone recommended who does a few of my friends and herself and always looks so natural.,x

    ReplyDelete