When casual becomes the norm

The times they are a changing.  Long gone are the days when "smart" implied a navy pencil skirt and matching jacket, blouse (eeewww) and a pair of sensible court shoes. 

Ok so perhaps the city lawyers and super corporate amongst us may not get away with these for a client meeting (although I still maintain that depends who your clients are) but for the rest of us who have a vaguely smart dress code, the world is your oyster. 

And the pearls in it are former casual wear that has made the leap into the formal world. 

Joggers, I'm looking at you.

These have been complete fave of mine for the past couple of seasons and for A/W16 the love affair continues.  How will I be wearing mine?  I adore them with a shirt and blazer and trainers.  I also team with a fitted jumper and longer line coat.  Ankle boots (or my beloved trainers) as a footwear option.  Another great choice would be loafers.  I love the mix of the theoretically casual with a *smarter* pair of shoes.  Mix and match.  So very on trend.

When I was looking for jeans the other day (don't even go there - SO over it), I happened upon these in Topshop.  Which, to be frank, were a far more exciting prospect.  Yes, I have faux leather joggers.  What I don't have though, are a cropped pair that are in a faux buttery leather.  Much lighter than the heavier weight ones I have from ASOS and Zara.  Believe me please when I say this is actually a really bad photo of them.  I shall be wearing tomorrow, so will pap on Instagram for you.  I adore adore adore them.

 Faux Leather Joggers £35



But I will say I also adore my old ASOS ones.  These are this year's version and if they're half as good as the ones from last year, they'll be amazing.

ASOS Leather Look Joggers with tie waist £35  And they also do these in a Tall and Petite version.



So I really can't justify another pair of black ones but they handily have them in a grey as well. 

ASOS Leather look joggers in grey £35



Or how about pink?  And in the sale.  Were £35 now £22.50


Then we have the cuffed variety.  Which needn't be consigned for fitness purposes at all.  Not when they're in embroidered velvet... 

Embroidered Velvet Joggers from M&S £39.50



Slightly off piste at Topshop but these would be fabulous teamed with a v neck jumper and blazer.  Or I love wearing mine with an oversized white shirt and jumper.

Navy Ruffle Joggers from Topshop £29



These are superb and are on my wishlist from Me+Em.  In fact, the top picture of the founder of Me+Em, the lovely Claire Hornby, is the most divine styling.  Inspiration from heaven.  There's still 20% off at Me+Em until the 7th November with the code ORDER20.



Side Stripe Joggers in navy and white from Me+Em £69




And then there are the joggers that are looser in style and for me - need to be super long.  I have tried these utterly amazing Me+Em ones on so so many times but alas, they're just an inch or two too short.  Please oh please can someone else buy them?

Luxe Crepe Slouch Pant from Me+Em £149


And ditto these ones - again too short for me.  I have tried (and tried and tried and tried).

Luxe Track Pant from Me+Em £135


More side stripe love at ASOS.  And in tall.

ASOS Tall Peg Leg Trousers with side stripe £22.50



And back in the room with a more conservative pair from River Island £28


Here I am in my old ones from ASOS (so yes, I do highly recommend them) which I wear so so so much.  Although I am delighted with my thinner versions from Topshop.  I have, in fact, come round to thinking move over jeans - there's a new player in town.  Do I need new jeans as well?  I don't think I do.



Je Ne Regrette Rien jumper - Orwell & Austin (if you sign up to their newsletter you can get 25% off your first order)
Black faux leather joggers - ASOS 
Leopard coat - M&S
Copeland sneakers - Air & Grace
Half Moon bag - APC

Have you succumbed to the joggers as a wardrobe staple yet?  If so, would love to hear how you're wearing them.  And if not, what are you waiting for?!

We're fireworked out - haven't been for the past two years as it was always a disaster with a small ASD child and yup - should have listened to my instincts and not bothered this year again.  Not an entirely successful evening (social issues which I fear aren't going to get any better as he gets older.  They're just such easy targets and don't react to being provoked at all unfortunately) so I'm feeling very sorry for him and myself.  But it's nothing that a glass of wine (for me) and a cuddle (for him) can't fix.

Also need to go and pack as tomorrow I'm off on an adventure in the Cotsworlds.  Will report back but to say I'm looking forward to it is a understatement.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

11 comentarios:

  1. Oh thanks love. The majority of the time he doesn't make it easy for himself but this time, it appears to be kids goading him as they know he'll react and then he gets into trouble. I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the fact, these children know he's autistic and know exactly how he'll react. Unlike me, I've been in tears all night and can't stop crying this morning!! Anyone who happens to be reading who has ANY advice, it would be very gratefully received.

    But that's enough of that - coat... yes, I have to say I love it but I do agree it's slightly more cocoon in the body than I personally would like. That said, it was a bargain and is the perfect weight for this time of year.

    Joggers wise - not the faux leather variety but have you thought about the long straight leg ones with the open zip at the bottom which make them almost a boot cut and really quite flattering for pear shapes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your duff night, hope your boy is ok today. Hmm love them on others but just can't get with elasticated waists! Talking of things Black and leather I unfortunately missed M & South black leather a line midi skirt and note of course have decided that my life won't be complete without one. Any thoughts on where I might find one great fully received

    ReplyDelete
  3. How terribly unkind some children can be and how terribly hard it is as mother of a child who is being treated badly. I wish I had some amazing advice but unfortunately we have all had a few tears about the way our children have been treated. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kat that's so sad to hear about your boy, sorry I can't offer any advice, just sympathy, hopefully he won't have noticed too much and won't be as affected as much as you. If only we could take away our children's pain but sadly we can't, apparently it makes us stronger! 😟

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really out of order, do you know the children and their parents? I'd be knocking on their doors asking for a quiet word. Little buggers. Maybe they need a little reminder of how we treat friends, and their parents need firmly reminding that 'harmless banter' in this situation is anything but...
    There's nothing worse than others hurting your babies. Makes you want to lock the doors and stay at home forever more, keeping them safe and warm. Big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about talking to their parents, it just sounds so premeditated especially as they obviously knew which buttons to press!
      I can understand that we want to keep our kids safe and warm, it's a knee jerk reaction, we really need to equip them for what life throws at them.
      Kat, what has your sons reaction to this been afterwards? I hope he's okay. Although it's difficult to do or say anything that will help, I for one feel for you, and hope for the best for you and the whole family.

      Delete
    2. I agree about talking to their parents, it just sounds so premeditated especially as they obviously knew which buttons to press!
      I can understand that we want to keep our kids safe and warm, it's a knee jerk reaction, we really need to equip them for what life throws at them.
      Kat, what has your sons reaction to this been afterwards? I hope he's okay. Although it's difficult to do or say anything that will help, I for one feel for you, and hope for the best for you and the whole family.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your upset with your son, being a parent is so hard at the best of times but feeling what they feel and being unable to fix things is heartbreaking. I just want to throttle the perpetrators - but unfortunately not an option/socially acceptable!).

    Love those Me+Em trousers, what are the chances of you using your kudos to convince them that us tall people deserve lovely trousers too (pleeeeasssse!!).

    Hope wine and cuddles helped/are helping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat i have a 16 year old son who has autism. Biggest bit of advice that i wish i had received was don't try and do thing you would do with any other child that does not have ASD. For years we tried to mold Luke into being socially the same, it just caused heartache for all concerned. We just go with it now. If he doesnt want to go/do something we accept it and move on. Luke is very happy watching sky sports all weekend, so why should i force him to do something he doesnt want to? And spend time trying to fit in. Every other Saturday he attends a frienship group with teenagers like himself, he likes it but is not concerned if he did not go. Luke was moved to a special school when he was 8 after school trying to make a square peg fit a round hole. I really do share your upset, but i take the stance that if Luke's not upset nor will i be xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry ive published as annonymous
      Sharron x

      Delete
  8. Great blog! Loved your insightful content and engaging writing style

    Colorband

    ReplyDelete