A selfish moment

This is one for me.  And my friend who is looking for the same thing. 

So I'm going to therefore assume that it isn't just the two of us who are looking for said item..

which is...

The perfect metallic top. 

That ideal top that you can wear with boyfriend jeans to give them a bit of festive cheer, to be the perfect partner to leather joggers, to transform your midi (or mini) skirt into your go to Christmas outfit. 

I have come to the conclusion that the world is divided into those who love a blouse and those who love a knit.  There are of course always going to be those jammy buggers who can wear both but I am definitely a knit girl.  I can of course wear a blouse but I never quite feel the love. 

The world is further divided into those who head to a plethora of parties - and I mean full on party parties in the festive season and have need upon need of dress upon dress upon DRESSY DRESS.  As clearly some people must, as the shops are full of them.  Stuffed to the gills with them.  If you are one of these people, speak now or forever hold your peace.  I have had many different guises in my working life time and not one Christmas have I had more than maybe two Christmas "dos".  I won't even call them a party party as I could easily get away with a bling top and trousers.  

I own one sequin dress.  From All Saints.  That I have worn about ten times.  But I bought it for a 40th party (not Christmas) and have worn it constantly since.  Actually maybe I'll wear that for my (one) Christmas party party this year.... 

However I digress.  I do have lots of Christmas "dos".  And I have Christmas Day where we do make an effort (which is basically code for "I have an excuse to buy a new outfit".  Now fess up - I KNOW this isn't just me who does this.  Name and shame yourselves - in solidarity - in the comments please.)

And I have skirts and bottoms coming out of my ears but am in dire need of tops.  Well I'm not really, but when it comes to a lighterweight party top, there is definitely a gaping hole. 

Which needs to be filled by something metallic.  Ideally gold.  Or silver.  How hard can these be to find? (at the risk of a spoiler, the answer is very...)

Starting with one that I've put in in desperation as the search started exceptionally badly.  More casual than I would like but I do like the rose gold..  And it could be the perfect solution to dressing down a very dressy skirt....

ASOS Jumper with High Neck in Metallic £22



Another higher neck knit which is what I'm looking for but don't know if I love the ribbiness (should be a word) of it... at DVF.  I definitely don't love the cost.  

Tess Sweater from Diane Von Furstenberg £228 at Matches 




But are they too much of a knit knit?  Do we want more of a sort of not really knitted top?  (clear as mud eh?).  

& Other Stories have some great options that are worth looking at. 

Fine Glittery Knit in Silver £45  I thought I was looking for very fitted but actually this has much more mince pie consumption opportunities.



And in the green £45 



More fitted now in a bardot style at Oasis.

Lurex bardot top from Oasis £35



But appreciating that others will want to create a different silhouette and will prefer to have more fitted bottoms and a looser top, some looser metallic knits can also work really well. 

Lulu Gunmetal Metallic V-Back Knit £110 from Reiss






Or a V neck at the front in a gorgeous metallic blush, again from Reiss.

Bless Blush Metallic Jumper £95



V necks a plenty at Mango.

Metallic Sweater in black £19.99



Reiss have got loose sparkle knitwear sewn up this season 

Richelle Blue Metallic Jumper from Reiss £120



But the most flattering top of the bunch has to go (yes again) to Reiss for their Ilyssa knit.

Ilyssa Bronze Metallic Wrap Front Top in Bronze £110



But all this has made me realise is that I need a gold polo neck.  That's not even a "want need", it's an actual NEED need.  

Rocking.  Horse.  Poo.  The two that have come closest are (interestingly) two of the more reasonable that I came across.  Which suits me just fine. 

Weekday Stripe Knitted Jumper £28



Although I think this may pip it at the post.  I'd happily wear this during the day as well.  Sequins are for life and not just a party. 

Sequin and Sparkle Turtle Neck £42 - in the flesh, it's not as sculptured as this.  It looks more like a usual top as opposed to a lurex tube sock.  





And if the full on gold isn't your bag, then how about a black version.  This is superb.  I'm just toying with which one I'd get more wear out of...  gold or black, gold or black..  These are definitely something that you will have in your wardrobe for years.  Just change the trousers or skirt as fashions sees fit. 

Sequin and Sparkle Turtle Neck in Black £42







However, there's me saying I need a polo neck, I think I may have discovered another solution.  They're not too fitted, they're not too loose, they're not too oversized - they look ideal.  In my head they are exactly the same shape as the Bella Freud and the Uniqlo jumpers which are perfection with jeans, skirts and trews.  A girl can dream... I'll be ordering and will let you know. 

Sparkling Merino Wool Sweater from & Other Stories in black £45



I'll be going with the black (quelle surprise) but I'm not going to lie - am also tempted by the burgundy...again £45



Or there's the blue (but for me it's definitely the black...) 

Sparkling Merino Wool Sweater £45



So I have my eyes on the metallic prize but fear not if you don't fancy having a glitzy top.  There are also bottom options.  And of course how could I forget a jacket?  Not to mention boots... Do I hear a cheer for sequins?  How can you even contemplate the party season without a nod to the little shiny discs...

In the meantime though, taking advantage of the mild weather today with bare legs and no scarf.  Looking at the forecast though, these days are numbered... but nothing that a bit of layering won't fix.



Emerald and navy houndstooth dress - American Vintage at Quattro Rish 
Berry leather bomber - Gerard Darel
Silver Smile bag - Anya Hindmarch at Collen & Clare
Superstar sneakers - Golden Goose

I have been waiting in today for the delivery of a new washing machine and tumble dryer, before which I actually did some exercise (three Pilates classes this week having not been for over three weeks.  I do in fact feel like Giselle Bundchen.  I still look more like a potato but I FEEL fabulous.  And I've done some super long dog walks, making the most of the sunshine which has been super cathartic).

I never thought I would be as excited over two domestic appliances.  Which appear to be more sophisticated than my laptop.  Oh how times have changed... (seriously though - I am lining the laundry up which is something I never ever thought I'd say.  Looking forward to washing?  Someone get me a glass of wine quickly).

Tomorrow off to London.  The husband has hoofed himself off to Hungary for work, armed with a list of Duty Free and we have I'm a Celebrity to watch.  Whilst I move on to shiny bottoms...


Share this:

CONVERSATION

38 comentarios:

  1. Not sure I like the sound of bottoms coming out of your ears... !! The blush Reiss one looks lovely, but I fear it may be itchy. The only vaguely sparkly knit I have is a Whistles Annie jumper in charcoal with silvery bits, but they're so small that they don't seem to bother me. I don't wear it as often as I should though, mainly because the hem is a bit fitted, and I wish it was a bit looser (the rest of the jumper is fine). I much prefer a boxy shaped top, goes better with skinnies and skirts for me. You've inspired me to do a bit of research now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now you see I LOVE A fitted hem and can't buy a jumper that isn't super fitted on the hem. A boxy shape on me doesn't work at all. Horses for courses....

      Delete
  2. Yes the itchy thing, have a pretty cropped red one from H and M that has an itchy turtle neck and puts me off wearing it. Also had a short sleeved white sequin top from white company that rubbed my arms - they need to be tried on! Look pretty though.....thanks for the research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Itchy is never never good. I have a problem with sequins in that they catch on each other and I end up attached to myself!

      Delete
  3. This is my find of the season from Mint Velvet. I have already worn it out with the chiffon skirt from Hush and it looks great with coated leggings too. I am not a full on bling person, nor do I get to dress up too often but this is perfect for adding a little something special. I can't do high necks so I like how this is cut.
    http://www.mintvelvet.co.uk/charcoal-ombre-sequin-tee/tops/mint-v/fcp-product/7437

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's super useful! But for me - I'm clearly turning into a complete old gimmer as I like to have my arms covered in the Winter. OMG I'm SO OLD!

      Delete
  4. I went Other Stories burgundy.. great with jeans and pleated skirts. Might need green too mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous... I tried today and couldn't decide..... Going back on Monday.

      Delete
  5. Love the stripe!! I found a very nice loose fit black/gold lurex sparkle crew neck top in the same vein about a month ago in primark (primarni as I like to call
    Them).... Also I was really lucky post Xmas to get both a grey and black silver sparkle lurex polo last Xmas which will definitely get an outing this year with my faux black leather skirt. Great post! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that sounds amazing. I want your wardrobe!!! And totally forgot about my faux leather mini skirt - thanks for the inspo. Will be getting that out next week.

      Delete
  6. Not sure if Tu at Sainsburys is your bag but definitely a cheap alternative. Says model is 5'11 too
    https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Brown-Electric-Lurex-Roll-Neck-Jumper/130381243-Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE that. And wouldn't bat an eyelid at getting it from Sainsburys but I need it to be fitted on the hem... Great great find though, thank you!

      Delete
  7. Just bought myself a silver top with 3/4 sleeve thinking I can dress it up and also wear with jeans for fun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the Whistles one you featured some time ago, it's super soft and the metallic bits don't make it either stiff or itchy.
    As for Christmas, I have one party, which is a works do for our team, and being held at a colleagues house, so not super dressy. Then of course there is Christmas itself - in Denmark we celebrate Christmas Eve, in the evening, so it's okay dressing up, for which I have velvet and lace in mind. So that only leaves NYE to sort, maybe something new there....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just received the silver 1970 Bella jumper. Had the gold but returned as the colour wasn't good for me. However, already having it in red I'm feeling guilty and think I will return one too. You have now given me a perfect cheaper option in the &Other stories one, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel any better, I've ordered the black polo neck version....

      Delete
  10. I can never get enough of a lurex knit for Christmas - it's the 1970's in me :-) Already this year I have bought one from Warehouse and one from White Stuff (of all places - my mum had a voucher :D). As well as a very silver vest from H&M. And this was meant to be the year I did sparkly trousers, plain top instead. It may yet happen pending your next blog :D How did you manage to kill your washer and dryer at the same time?! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh White Stuff - wouldn't have thought of that! I didn't kill the appliances, I've got new ones to try. Amazing new ones... to wash the unwashable. Can you imagine how delighted I am - me - Queen of washing and ZERO dry cleaning??!!! All will be revealed..

      Delete
  11. How funny, I am so with you. I have found that I tend to go to the pub for meals rather than smart restaurants or to parties yet most of my going out clothes are party clothes. My benchmark these days seems to be 'could I wear it to the pub?' I have been looking for 'not as dressy as party tops but better than everyday tops' for ages. Thanks for the post. I am going to order the metallic & Other Stories jumper. I also agree that you are either a knits girl or blouses. I am knits - blouses look awful on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you see I never go to the pub!! We went for the first time the other week and I had NO idea what to wear! WE have SHIT pubs here (only reason we don't go) and one good gastropub but that's quite dressy. Other than that, it's restaurants and dinner parties. Oh and lunch. How I love a lunch...!

      I may have found the perfect blouse today mind you.. watch this space!

      Delete
  12. I'm loving Toast's silk velvet tees, in rose (stunning colour) or khaki (very dark). Look great with their satin jacquard pull on trousers (look much better on than in pic) and they don't crease. And Brora's dangly gold earrings (Kate Middleton's got them). And Toast's Mabel shoes..

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Ordered this one from good old M&S but it doesn't sit right so is going back.
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/lurex-dolman-jumper/p/p22492328?image=SD_01_T38_6680_F0_X_EC_90&color=NAVY&prevPage=srp

    Going to try the & Other Stories one - thank you. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The & Other Stories has a lot less scoopy neck than that one..... hope that helps!

      Delete
  14. I don't trust people who don't dress up on Christmas Day. It's the perfect excuse for a new outfit! In fact, that's when I knew my hubbie was a keeper - when he insisted on buying me a new dress for our first Christmas together

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing says "Fun Mum" more than a sparkly top. Step away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair dos.

      Personally I think it depends on what you wear it with. But each to their own!

      Delete
  16. Tried them today. Zero itch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely can recommend reiss sparkling knitwear. I've got a bronze one with the deep v back from at least 7 years ago which has been worn so many times (inc 3 pregnancies) and hasn't pulled or bagged and just kind of springs back into shape. Definitely my hardest working piece of party wear. The dress is fab, such a good colour with your jacket. Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope it's the same quality as it was the same all those years ago... it definitely did seem to be good when I whizzed in the other day!

      Delete
  18. I have a navy sparkly jumper from m&s that I bought last January as a) it was in the sale, and b) I had a voucher. It's ribbed, boat-necked and I wouldn't normally picked it up as it's a 14 and I'm a 10-12. It is, however the most ridiculously useful jumper and washes like a dream.

    And who is it that buys all those full on, full length party clothes at Christmas? Even working and partying in London in my 20s, I rarely had that kind of occasion to go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I guess it's what you wear on a day to day basis. Work dresses for example. I know people that love them and they fly out of the shops. But I've never worn one in my life even when I had a vaguely corporate job that warranted it!!!

      Delete
  19. Love a metallic. Have a gorgeous grey & silver threaded v-neck from Hush which I bought maybe two years ago.
    Really like the Reiss (not a label I normally run to) blush number.
    Your other Irish fans may be interested to note that that jumper is £95.00 i.e. €110.58 on UK site or (wait for it!) €145 on Irish € site!! I am heartily sick of retailers not giving us the benefit of current exchange rate! Thank the lord for Parcel Motel and the like where we can order from UK sites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. New look seem to be od'ing on metallic this year. Can't vouch for the quality, but for the price I'm prepared to give it a go! There's a £12 alternative for the £228 DVF http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/knitwear/blue-vanilla-black-glitter-turtle-neck-jumper_511772801?productFind=search
    But I think this is the one for me http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/tops/navy-glitter-v-neck-cold-shoulder-wrap-front-top-_504558241?productFind=search

    ReplyDelete