Back to the drawing board

Is there anything more irritating than ordering something that in your head will solve all your party outfit problems (the caveat being when I say party EVER, I mean "vaguely dressy do").

I had high hopes for a skirt I'd seen in Zara.  And I (as it turns out - ambitiously) ordered a top that I saw online.  A (lovely looking online believe me..) wrap (LOOSE - it was loose online) blouse.  That wasn't cropped. 

When good outfits go bad.  Or it should be, when good outfits don't turn up in the first place.



Crossover Top £17.99  I'm wearing the Medium.  Clearly I need the Large.  The LARGE LARGE LARGE.  



Herringbone Pleated Skirt from Zara £29.99  I am wearing the Large.  The Medium wouldn't even do up.  Yes that is my stomach hanging over the top.   And it's really short on me too.  I had so wanted to love it.




Now I don't mind having to order in a Large or Extra Large.  I don't care.  But the fact that I'm a 10/12 and have to buy the largest size in the shop, surely isn't right.  What message does that send to our girls? (for the record, mine had no idea what size I was trying on - she thought it was hilarious that I'd ordered a "cropped" top.   Hilarity which quickly turned to mild panic when I threatened to keep it).  Plus with the average size in the UK still being a 16, to not cater for anyone larger than a 12 really doesn't seem right or sensible.

This is what I had hoped it was close to looking like... to be fair, I haven't ordered this one so it could be a massive pile of poo in the flesh but it can't be any worse than the one above.

Gold Lurex Pleated Julianna skirt from Dodo Bar Or £200




So the search goes on as these are the perfect dress me up, dress me down options for the festive period.  Hell for any time in fact.  With a sweatshirt and trainers for during the day.  Knitted silky polo neck or blouse for evening.  My favourite footwear will always be a pair of ankle boots in the Winter but there's no reason why any heels couldn't work just as well.  Or flats - I know that not everyone loves wearing heels and thank goodness there are so many fabulous flats for us now to choose from (in fact, a blog on this is definitely needed...).

So I've avoided the much loved yet slightly ubiquitous (covered numerous times by me anyway!) metallic or velvet pleated midi and have hunted some others out which are a bit more unusual. 

Lace pleated in metallic tones from M&S.  I know this is too short for me as i've tried it instore but i'm 5ft10 and so need much longer options than most.  And don't forget 20% off this weekend till midnight on Monday using the code WT6F36. 

Striped Pleated Skirt from M&S £69



Another lace option.
A Line Ballet Midi Skirt from M&S £39.50




A-line also at M&S.  This you could match with the lace top for a co-ordinated look.  A pink silk tee would dress it down.  Or a pink knit - style of your choice?  Obviously I'd go with black as I am colour averse, but for those of you more adventurous than me - this could be a great versatile skirt to invest in. 

Lace A Line Skirt from M&S £69



Now this one is interesting.  I will say that I know I can't do a straight long skirt.  I look like a party totem pole.  I am too tall and too oblong to pull this off.  A straight long skirt adds the illusion of height.  Of which I have ZERO need.  This one is reversible.  I'm not sure whether they mean you can turn it inside out (which in my book is what reversible means.. ) or whether it just means that the sequins themselves are reversible.  In that you brush them the other way so they reverse from black to gold... 

Reversible sequin skirt £59.99 from Mango





Staying with the bling.  I adore this one.  Dare I say it's a dull metallic - as opposed to full on glitz. 

Jacquard Tie A-Line Skirt from Marks and Spencer IT HAS POCKETS PEOPLE £59




A more subtle print but there's something about this shade that I find very festive.  However, it would also take you through into the Spring no problem.

Zebraic Skirt from & Other Stories £55



Now I'm going to step away from the wintery prints and bling and think of something that's slightly less obviously Christmas. 

This I am completely drawn to.  With an off white pussy bow blouse (I have a host of these coming up shortly) for an alternative Christmas outfit.  Add heels if you'd like (silver boots anyone?) or how about a pair of velvet trainers... 

Ombre Skirt from Mango £69.99



Another alternative is to off white on the skirt itself.  This with a black polo neck, black blouse or cream blouse.

Bonded Wrap Skirt by Autograph at M&S £59



Another cream option.

A line midi skirt from & Other Stories £65



Or my go to option of faux leather.  All the love for these although I don't think they'd be long enough on me..

Faux leather pleats skirt from & Other Stories £65



Or in the classic black.. again £65



So I am loving the skirts this season and into the New Year as well.  Has anyone else totally bought into them?  Or are you still a dress or trousers gal?



Blue, navy and white dress - Preen Line
Black and grey sock boots - Iro
Thurlaston bag in Camel - Village England 

Day off tomorrow as the 12yr old has an inset day so we're going to London on a girl's day out.  Which will involve some Christmas shopping - she's managed to persuade her brothers that all things Lush are an excellent idea so that's where we'll be heading first.  Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

25 comentarios:

  1. Bless you for showing us when it doesn't quite go right; your daughter's expression is genius (and how my son looks at me about 80% of the time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha! Yup, mine too. The boys not so much - there looks are far more withering!

      Delete
  2. I have the off white M&S one and love it but where is that wonderful rainbow maxi from please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mango - I like the look of it.
      http://shop.mango.com/IE/p0/woman/ombre-skirt?id=71030222_82&n=0&ts=1479715470854

      Delete
    2. SORRY!! Yes have updated now - don't quite know how I missed that off! It is indeed from Mango for £69.99. Thank you Miffy!

      Delete
  3. That gold top looked so lovely on the website image, I would never have thourght it was cropped. I totally agree about their sizing, I'm a definately size 12, and if you have trouble getting into their smaller sizes, it makes me not want to order from them as I'd only end up sending stuff back! Why can't there be some sizing system that was consistent from brand to brand? I know some brands deliberately keep their sizes small to exclude larger people, but at least they could be honest about it.
    I'm usually not a maximum skirt girl, but that rainbow one could have me converted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem is that there's no size consistency between brands which drives me even more mad!! And then brands change their sizing so whereas previously, Reiss, Next and M&S had always been on the large side, they've now come more in line with other retailers (as much as they can...!) and so whereas I was an 8, I'm now a 10, sometimes a 12!! Random!!!

      Delete
  4. Forget the skirts, just wear that dress every day over the festive season instead!!! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good dress, isn't it? I bought it for my birthday last Jan and for some reason haven't worn it more - no idea why?!!

      Delete
  5. Loved the gold top in the online picture - what a disappointment. Midi skirts - any way they can be worn without barre legs? I'd give anything to be able to wear that M&S brocade number. Is it possible to plastic surgery a waist? :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't the online pic look so promising... Needless to say, there is ZERO resemblance to the top online. Totally different. I too have zero waist as well BUT I actually find the fullness of the skirt almost cancels it out, if you see what I mean? Might be worth a try.....

      Delete
  6. I agree completely. I took my "normal" size12 daughter (aged 13) in miss selfridge recently. The size 14 was too small and they had no 16 in stock. At the ripe old age of 13 she's already too big for the shop. Frustrating and sending the completely wrong msg to young girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is absolutely ridiculous. It's so difficult as parents when we try to not perpetuate the myth that super skinny is good.

      Delete
  7. What is bonkers is that as a size 12 that pleated Zara skirt just about fit me in a medium (I needed a large which they didn't have in stock because obviously *everyone* is now a large in Zara). But seeing as I am definitely a size larger than you that makes zero sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ZERO waist though so I always have to size up. And yes, you're absolutely right. the largest sizes are always ALWAYS sold out. It's such a total pain in the behind.

      Delete
  8. love love love that style of skirt but being petite 5 ft3 i don't look right in them any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly honestly think shorter people looking GREAT in these sorts of skirts. It's about getting the proportions right. So as long as it hits you on the right part of the leg - and I would say don't have it too long - mid calf as the maximum length, you should be fine. It's also a question of wearing something with a bit of height on as a shoe I think.. that deffo helps!

      Delete
    2. Linda, I am only 5 ft 4 and have discovered I can wear these skirts with a heel. The Next 'Barely There' sandal looks good with them and is quite comfortable to wear for an evening. If your feet get cold (and I cringe at the thought of wearing tights with open toed sandals) M&S do a nude tight in 7 Denier which doesn't have a toe seam and looks amazingly tightless on - sorry, can't remember the name.

      Delete
  9. That Zara outfit looked like such a winner, what a disappointment! And thank you for having the guts to share it with us, I tend to think it's just me who has shopping disasters. The top looks much shorter on you than it does on the model, in fact it looks like a completely different top. I find the sizing in Zara to be crazy, I generally avoid Zara more than I'd like to because I always end up size-confused or feeling robbed because the 'large' has, unsurprisingly, sold out. I completely agree about the negative lesson this will teach our daughters, hopefully we can instil in them the confidence to shrug off this nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! It honestly looks like a totally different top in the flesh!

      Delete
  10. I like the reversible sequin clothes but sadly my friends and I are obviously very immature and spend time using them to write rude words on each others clothing, the words depend on what part of the body we are wearing said items. all very well if you remember to flip the sequins back but that depends on how late in the evening it is and how many glasses have passed through our hands. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats hilarious about the rude messages in sequins - love it! Also all the love for the brocade skirt - def a try on! I have just got a Monki via ASOS oversized pink puffa coat - I look like a marshmallow in it but wot care I as so warm and hygge! Agree with you about Zara, I automatically got for L and extra L now and as a 10 on top and 12/14 below who the hell fits into S and XS? Children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that coat sounds AMAZING!!! I'm all up for a new coat for my Christmas list. I Do NOT need one but omg it's all I can think about now.

      Delete