Highs and lows

It's been a day of two halves.   Success and big fat failure. 

So I had some meetings in London today and as I knew I was going to be there, I had ordered my M&S Alexa goodies to pick up from there (how I love click and collect) and went, yet again, on a denim hunt.

I'll start with the denim.  *insert all the swear words*.  Oh seriously HOW is it so hard to find decent jeans?

I appreciate I sound slightly like a stuck record but all I want is a pair of straight leg, loose (remember this), black cropped jeans.  With a fray edge.  

This surely shouldn't be this difficult?  Well it is when apparently straight leg jeans are all spray on skinny.  Now I'm not moronic enough to realise that I don't have particularly chunky legs but one could be forgiven for developing a serious flobbo leg complex.

I do not want to spend uber money on a pair of jeans.  I have a complete mix of costs of denim in my wardrobe and I genuinely can't say that I prefer the more expensive to the cheaper.  It's all about the fit and the colour.  Mostly the fit. 

Which I am struggling with.  To put it mildly.

Let's just go straight in and see how awful these are.  Although to be fair, I'll start with a pair that I have to say, were I not a freaking giant, these would definitely have worked.  As it is, I looked like an extra from Les Mis.  Ragged boy, fourth from the back.  Not what I had in mind.

They're basically too short for me.  Other than that, for £42, I have to say they are absolutely amazing.  Especially love the frayed detailing on the waistband.  When I say they're too short on me, the problem is that they finish on my calves when they're supposed to end on the ankles and so they are tight. 

Black Frayed Cropped Boyfriend Jeans from River Island £42 (seriously though, would you describe these as boyfriend??  I would say even on her, a vaguely loose skinny but surely boyfriend jeans are looser?).

I actually ordered mine from ASOS as they have free next day delivery.



However I refuse to be defeated and so I've ordered them in a size up in the hope that they'll hang slightly lower and I'll look less ragamuffin... (yes I am desperate...) 

Here I am.  All hum together, "do you hear the people sing?".

Untitled

And then these are what I did buy.  In a panic.  Which I don't think are going to work.  The look from the 12yr old said it all when I showed her them on.  It was less ridicule and more total pity.  To be fair, the chap in Oxford Circus who was helping me was wearing them (!) and he said they did loosen up loads when wearing.  On me, again, they were not this straight.  They were skinny. 


MOTO Tassel Hem Straight from Topshop £45



They don't work quite as well on me... I tried on with two pairs of boots (which I want to wear them with) for reference.  Making them even more not great.  Maybe I should have sized up? 


Untitled


And then these, which arrived the day before I went on holiday and were a total impulse purchase.  Ok that's not true, I've had my eye on them for a while but at £300+ (yup. *vomit*) they weren't an option.  But I had a £100 off a £300 spend from Matches which made them (vaguely) more palatable.

But do I love them enough?

Rachel Comey Slim Leg High Rise Jeans £325



They're good.  But are they £225 good?  With boots.  I will also be wearing them with sneakers, loafers and other heels.  However to say I couldn't be fagged to photograph all of them would be true.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


I'm wondering whether these may have been better?  Which is a moot point as I've wasted my voucher which has run out anyway.  Let's all agree - no - these aren't any better... are they?

Trigger frayed mid-rise cropped jeans from Rachel Comey £336




However I also have these arriving tomorrow from Warehouse.  They look perfect.  Clearly they will look like pap on me.

Frayed Hem Jeans £49



Then I found these... now I had discounted a kick flare as I have mastered black trousers in this style (sneak preview of what's coming tomorrow) but could these work? 

Joan Mid Rise Cropped Jeans £142 from Grlfrnd





So highs are going to have to wait till tomorrow.  This has taken me way longer to write than I had hoped - darn children and stuff getting in the way.  The *stuff* being catching up on The X Factor and The Apprentice.  And drinking wine.  

In the meantime, a couple of outfits which are far more seasonal than I have been showing of late.  Have to say, am loving loving being able to wear all my Autumn gems.



Slouch turtleneck in black and white cashmere and merino - Me+Em
Black coated skinnies - New Look
Black Mario bag - Jerome Dreyfuss
Superstar sneakers - Golden Goose



Black and white striped polo neck - Second Female at Collen & Clare
Trench coat - Zara
Fluid cropped trousers - Whistles
Red loafers - Gucci
Black Half moon bag - APC

Tomorrow I will be back, hopefully early doors with my high story.  Which sounds all the wrong.  Highs, as in success stories.   Of which there are a couple.  There may been a big fat fail on the denim front but I have some absolute great finds to bring you.  In the meantime, more Apprentice (and more wine.  With Kettle Chips as the husband is out.  Tis the law, no?)

Share this:

CONVERSATION

20 comentarios:

  1. Love the Rachel Comey jeans. Such a great fit. And I think what we are all wondering is how you get £100 off a £300 spend at Matches. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh it's something they just email people. Although randomly I have two accounts with them and they only ever send it to one... They usually do it twice a year? I've used it a couple of times over the years - a DVF dress (that doesn't fit me any more - *weeps*) and my Toga boots!

      Delete
    2. And the Rachel Comey ones are a really good fit aren't they... it probably is worth paying more for them if it means i'll wear them more... but how much will I wear them? EEK. Dilemmas dilemmas...

      Delete
  2. The Rachel ones look great on you. FAR better than all the others you posted. You need to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not helping.. (ok you are...!!) (thank you xxx)

      Delete
  3. Thank you - it's not just me then who keeps trying on 'Girlfriend' jeans that *should* run loose through the thigh but cling in all the wrong places. I was getting a total hip/thigh complex (even though I spend hours at Barre classes every week to avoid such a situation). So much so that I ordered some from Zara that are so baggy on top that I could grow an old man gut and still not fill them. And yet they pull weirdly at the crotch...go figure. I have thrown them on the floor of my wardrobe in disgust and they can stay there until I feel justified in charity-shopping them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! can you not return them? The problem I have with jeans is that even when you find the ones that are perfect - you wear them and within an hour, you realise they are a massive dud. And you've spent £200 on them. which is why I am drawn to the £45 versions... although to be fair they're crap to begin with, so my reasoning is therefore that they'll look the reverse in an hour or two.. I fear the jetlag may be getting to me. (or it's just my regular madness to be fair...!_

      Delete
  4. I agree with the others! The Rachel jeans look fantastic. I think it is the fraying on some of the others that is off putting. It seems a little too contrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I quite like the super fraying... but the Comeys I think I'd get more wear out of....

      Delete
  5. The only thing I can say re jeans (the horror) is that my best and most favourite ones have been the ones that I have had to squeeze myself into for the first time and every time after they are washed because, two hours later, they have reached their actual 'jean state'. How many times have we bought them because they look great in the changing room only to discover they are HUGE after half a day's wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That used to be the case absolutely but now that some jeans have more lycra in than others, it's so hard to know which ones will do that and which ones will have very little give whatsoever. Tis a MINEFIELD!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Question is, modern jeans with stretch, can you do the sitting in the bath trick we did in the eighties to get that skintight fit? (Not to mention lying on the floor to zip them up!).
    Maybe a way to save the jeans that ended up too big, although probably not good to sit in the bath for hours, just long enough to go down a size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But not all jeans stretch anymore... ARRGGGHHHHHH

      Delete
  7. I forgot to mention that those two outfits look great on you, I could no way do bare ankles at this time of year! Yesterday I took the train to meet up with a girlfriend, and it was -4°C, and yes there were a couple of students who bared their ankles...brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love bare ankles at any time of year. Especially when I have vaguely brown ones!!!

      Delete
  8. Do I spot a pair of Chloes there? How do you find the sizing, comfort, wear???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely size down as they stretch but they are super comfortable. I wear them with no socks they're that comfy!

      Delete
  9. Have you seen these from Zara? http://www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/new-in/slim-boyfriend-jeans-c840002p4006520.html (sorry, don't think link will work)

    Worth a punt maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now they might be worth a shot as well thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone every day.

    Start following our signals today & gain up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete