I said I had a plan.

I sort of lied. I had the inkling of a plan... for shoes to go with midi off the shoulder dresses. 

I will also fess up that I hadn't planned on buying any more sandals this season (yeah right).

That was until I ignored all my shopping rules and bought a dress which a) I can't wear as the weather is so ugh and not summery in the slightest and b) I have no shoes to go with it.  I'm talking of the Rixo Animal Print dress that I mentioned yesterday which is a maxi dress and I thought about shortening to a midi.  

I did ask on here and on Instagram.  Great suggestions on the comments here to wearing it a couple of times (in my dreams at the moment...eerr Summer feel free to put in an appearance any time you feel like it) and then deciding.  On Insta, my suggestion of changing to a midi went down like a bag of sick.  Keep it as a maxi was the overriding response.  

So I will see.  I am still not convinced that a maxi works on me...I fear I am too tall and look like a stick of patterned rock.  It's a shoe issue.  What shoes, as a tall person do you wear with a maxi that aren't flats?  I know I'm a massive flats fan but I like heels for an evening.  I do, I'm sorry.  I also like a mid (ok slightly higher than mid but not vertiginous) heel for during the day to wear with dresses.  But with maxi dresses?  I'm all out.  I have no plan.  Hence I don't really wear maxi dresses and find midi ones so much more forgiving.

However the Rixo model is wearing a pair of Gucci mules with the Issy maxi dress which I had admired from afar, smugly thinking, these have no place in my life.  Well now they bleeding well do.  I NEEEEED.

Except that they are too high and too out of stock (the latter being handy, is all I can say).

The Gucci Webby Mule £380 in black Limited sizes at Harrods.




And in the red online at Gucci - again limited sizes, mine not being one of them.  Phew says my bank balance.  And my knees.




So there has to be a cheaper alternative and it appears that a mule would work with this dress.  Although as I said a maxi with heels doesn't sit incredibly well with me.  But I am prepared to be proven wrong and so am on a mule mission. 

Topshop you're up. 

These.  Oh hello.  A cross between the Gucci and all that is gorgeous this season from No.21.

Prosecco (couldn't write it) Pearl Effect High Heeled Mules from Topshop £92  And obviously not in my size.  Oxford Circus, we have a date on Thursday.





And with Gucci still clearly in mind... oh lord I love these.  Properly love them.  Too high.  Simply too high.  I can count the number of times on one hand that I would wear these which is NOT the plan.  I am looking for ones I can wear during the day as well.  Check out my strong will, pretty please (as the chances of it lasting aren't high...). 

Riot Flared Mules from Topshop £65


Or the gold.. but for me it's the pink above that win.  I have gold heeled loafers which are, alas, too heavy for the dress.  I really need a sandal.  I simply cannot justify another pair of gold shoes this season (although don't they say that three is the magic number..?!).




The nearest I did find to the Gucci Webbys are these from Aldo. 

Olani mules from Aldo £70



Or in the metallic, again £70



Although I have to say, was super impressed with the offering at Office.

Assume Square Toe Mule from Office in tan was £48 now £34  Lurrrrrve.  And not in my size *weeps*.


And in the black which unfortunately aren't reduced.  Although I need a paler colour than black.. £48






Plain grey at Office were £65 now £35




Let your shoes do the talking at Kurt Geiger. 

Jaxon from Kurt Geiger £120


But if those above are too high (and frankly they are for me although I really want to try the Proseccos...) then these may be worth a look.  I fear they could be eye wateringly frumpy on me.  A hunch.  I hope to be proven wrong....

Nordic Peep-toe Mules £49



Nino Suede Mules in the most delicious pink ever. £59 from Topshop




They also have the Prosecco in a mid heel at Topshop which is called the Pavlova.  Spookily my favourite pud... But only in black.. I really want the pearl colour.  

Pavlova Mid Heel Mule from Topshop £89 







What did I end up ordering?  Gucci, I couldn't find anthing that did you justice, but on my search I found the perfect tribute to Laurence Dacade.  Good heel height check, pale colour, check, make me feel happy waiting for them to be delivered, check check check. 

Kanada Nude High Heel Shoes from Carvela By Kurt Geiger at Topshop were £110 now £79



Not remotely a mule.  I am seeing what I can track down in store later in the week.  

So apparently the above buckle ones are only a 6cm heel.  Of this I am doubtful but hey ho, they're arriving tomorrow.  Along with the other lower silver mules, as I was ordering one pair so why wouldn't you order two.  And by that logic, I also threw a dress in, just in case.  Which was all a great idea until the husband told me he was working from home tomorrow.  Thank the lord he's got a gammy toe and so I can hotfoot (ha ha) it to the door way quicker than he can.   Of course obviously not thank the lord he's got a gammy toe - I am a much more sympathetic wife than that (ish.  Suffice to say I am no Florence Nightingale...). 

And here I am today in an outfit which the above shoes would look fabulous with.  I have high hopes, which means they will be crushingly disappointing, no?




Shirt dress - Maeve at Anthropologie
Tan suede heeled ankle boots - Boden
Whiskey Medium Marcie Satchel - Chloe
Marie Silk Scarf Bracelet - Silk Philosophy 

I now need to go and have a lie down as I am gutted about the football.  Yes I love watching international football.  No the husband doesn't generally watch it with me as he's a dyed in the wool rugby man.  But tonight he's out so I am going to retreat to bed and watch tv.  Dare I watch the finale of Game of Thrones without him....??!

Or should I do some more summer shoe research?  I am now convincing myself that it can't possibly be this crummy weather wise for the rest of the season and a pair of bargain shoes is just what we need to cheer ourselves up.  Talk me through your summer shoe purchases..

Share this:

CONVERSATION

36 comentarios:

  1. Love those Nino pale pink mules - you need to buy them as I can't possibly wear them with my hobbits trotters, they are so lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so pretty but I don't think they'd do me any favours at all!

      Delete
  2. The Nordic peep toes are my fave! Not too high and flexible enough to go with loads of things in my wardrobe. Love the fact that a new dress demands a new pair of shoes ☺ and getting to the door before your husband is a good thing, especially if you notice before they have a chance to ring the doorbell, then he might be blissfully unaware!
    Danish Pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean and I totally want to love them - I just feel being tall with slightly large feet, I may look like I have slabs of leather attached to my feet! And yes, fingers crossed I get there before him and they don't arrive when I'm walking the dog or doing the school run...!

      Delete
  3. As a tall bird myself I am all about the flats for a maxi - just think it is wrong to see a hit of back-heel when you walk - so am not a lover of any of the mules (reminds me too much of 1980's granny) but your final choice is delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now I haven't thought that about the back heel, that's interesting. I think because I haven't worn a maxi in years - I mean years and years, it's just odd getting my head around it!

      Delete
  4. This isn't helpful but I think no to the maxi and definite no to the heel with it. That look is just wrong! Either take the maxi to midi and get the heels or wear flats with it. Love the blue Anthropologie dress, you look lovely in that whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I completely agree with you. I'm hoping though with the bottom heels that it will in fact turn it into a midi... does that make sense???!

      Delete
    2. As actually I think that's part of the problem... it's not a proper maxi maxi, it swings somewhere round my ankles. With hindsight, it was a purchase that I probably shouldn't have made BUT I love love love the top part, the fit, the fabric, the idea of it so much, I am determined to make it work!! I reckon I actually will get so much more wear out of it as a midi... I'm going to see if they can just hem it up a couple of inches so I can take it down if I change my mind.....

      Delete
    3. I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who has the benefit (curse)of hindsight, and the length of time before it appears can be alarmingly short - usually shortly after I've removed the tags!
      That being said it doesn't happen too often (luckily)!
      Danish Pastry

      Delete
    4. Yes it doesn't happen too often. But I'm not going to lie - it does keep me up at night!

      Delete
  5. ....Maybe your TS granny gold sling backs will go with the dress? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...with dress as a midi.... X

      Delete
    2. I tried that and they're too heavy for it... It's a really really delicate dress (ok so the husband did ask if it was a nightie... All the eye rolling from me, obviously) and it does need sandals... They will come into their own in the Autumn!!

      Delete
    3. Men! I got the same "nightie" comment on my topshop spotty slip dress with lace trim (Fran showed this week)...tsk... Ignore... Yes understand re too heavy for dress... Beautiful dress Kat xx

      Delete
    4. I have to say - I am one of those geriatrics who also thinks that when I See the slip dresses (THE SHAME). Apologies...! The Pink Carvelas arrived and I am in love. Totally in love. Except that they are Out Out high. ugh.

      Delete
  6. LOVE the Carvela shoes you bought, fab. Really not a fan of any mules.. they were 'in fashion' when I did my leaving in '94 and a few subsequent years after.. I just can't get my head around wearing them again, I think they look soo dated!!Watch now I'll be wearing them in a year or 2's time.. it'll take me that long to come round!! Good luck with the heels/maxi.. hard one but you'll pull it off perfectly. Audrey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I don't think I can really pull it off - I'm swaying more to midi by the minute! I have high high hopes for those Carvela shoes... Will let you know later!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kat ,after reading that post I'm having a retro moment. I'm sure I had a cheaper version of most of those shoes when I was a student. Makes me smile to remember wearing them, maxi dresses with trainers in the daytime and heels at night! Oh and I have also been misguided about prerogative but I was more of a B and C type of student!!

    My Mom brought me a lovely maxi dress from M&S last week I'm always a bit worried about wearing them for practical reasons. Am I the only person who falls over when running after the children whilst wearing them?! Probably. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I could never wear them when mine were little as I used to step on the hem every time I bent down to sort them out. And god forbid it should be a strapless maxi.. they were a DEFINITE no no!

      Delete
  8. As a small bird I look ridiculous in a maxi - also I do that thing of kneeling down, catching my foot in it and whole top comes down! Love the dress with flats or (curve ball) with trainers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is definite food for thought... I like that idea.....!

      Delete
  9. Love, love, loving that bracelet! Just ordered 2! Tres excited! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed - they are gorgeous!

      Delete
  10. h and m 'premium' black ankle strap mid heel isabel marant look a likes for 49.95!(walked all around london in them and no sore feet)....loads of comments good with all this seasons cropped jeans and dresses....have a peak!! good luck with the dacade tributes...hope they are a success...mules look pretty too...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIght I've looked at them and they look AMAZING. But I don't want in black... *weeps*. I know I've seen them somewhere else in tan though I'm sure... The Dacade tributes are EPIC. But super high. *rolls eyes and sobs*

      Delete
  11. Office do a sandal version of the Gucci style mules in various colours that may work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm off to have a look thanking you v v kindly. Zara did a version which is sold out. ARRGGHH (although going to London to see if I can track them down!)

      Delete
    2. I bought the red Zara version back in March but have to say they were a tad uncomfortable for me so went back but I have been sitting on my hands for the silver and gold ones in office! X

      Delete
    3. I've had a look at the Office ones and LOVE them in the rose gold. And the beige suede... They do look verrrry high though. And I fear they're a slingback so are quite similar to my gold slingback heeled loafers (so not really the same at all - apart from the gold, chunky heel, slingback thingy!) so can't really justify them.... A shame they don't do them in red! Although I have to say, the nude pink CArvela DAcade-a likes arrived and I TOTALLY love them. x

      Delete
  12. Just a thought while we're on the subject of shoes! I'm on the look out for a compact but accessible storage solution for shoes. I've seen a carousel sort of thing, anybody tried it?
    Danish Pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally no but good luck with that!

      Delete
  13. I know you want a mule, but those red Gucci ones are like a pair of sandals in Zara at the moment. Just checked for you, same shade of red, same heel reduced from 59.99 to 39.99- see what you think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Online? They didn't have my size.. BUT I have earmarked to look out for them in store tomorrow!! Thank you xx

      Delete
  14. Do you need free Instagram Likes?
    Did you know you can get these ON AUTO-PILOT AND ABSOLUTELY FOR FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's an amazing new opportunity that is gaining rapid popularity online.

    Big companies are paying people just for giving their opinions!

    You can make from $5 to $75 per each survey!

    And it's open to anybody in the world!

    ReplyDelete