It's goodbye comfort zone again

... and it's randomly not something that a lot of other people struggle with.  It's certainly not a way out there or outlandish fashion foible.  Dear lord no.  It's mundane to the point of being obvious and every day for lots of people but it represents the largest stumbling block to me. 

It is of course The Skirt.  I have two skirts.  Just two.  And one I don't even wear as a skirt, I wear with the matching blouse to make it into a dress.  The other is a leather skirt which I have to say I am very fond of although it has only been worn a handful of times and always in the same guise (I will try and wear it this week just because) 

I have never made any bones about the fact that I simply do not do skirts.  I don't think it's because I can't, I'm not sure if it's because I am inherently lazy, I do think it's because I have a massive mental mountain to climb to get over the fact I feel like a tit in them. 

Is it because I don't know which tops to wear with them? Is it because I used to wear them to work and they just feel very dressy for every day?  Is it because I can't be bothered to get tights out and my legs are currently verging on blue with a hair topcoat you could plait, so baring them is in no way shape or form an option?  Is it because I always have a footwear crisis when it comes to knowing what to team with a skirt?  And I haven't even got to coats or jackets yet.  In all honesty, it hurts my head to think about any of the above and whilst there are so many trouser options to choose from, it's simply easier to swerve the skirt. 

However I did have a similar nemesis in the form of dresses which I managed, with a touch of retail therapy, to overcome last year.  Ditto with shorts.  And now I have a plethora of both in my wardrobe and am itching for the better weather (and a lawnmower and vat of fake tan) to get my legs dress and shorts ready. 

To be honest, I have been umming and ahhing about skirts since the start of the season.  If last year I managed to break free from my comfort zone and embrace my legs in dresses and shorts, surely it couldn't be a giant leap to get into skirts?  But inspiration was lacking.  Until this month's Red mag and I came across this pic.


Untitled


Perfect.  Totally perfect.  Suddenly it came to me - a little thin knit sweater, maybe with a shirt or a collar underneath.  Or even a longsleeved tee or vest for a layering look.  How about with a thin sweatshirt?  I was starting to see how this could work.  (it also gave me perfect justification to peruse more pointy pumps but that's for another day - oh hurrah). 

So off I go to look online.  The idea is that I will have a scout around and see what I uncover and later in the week I shall hopefully do a show and tell.  Here's what I have come up with so far. 

Jigsaw Paint Tulip skirt in navy £98  This is up there for me with pretty perfect. I have vision of navy Hawes & Curtis shirt, cream Whistles structured top and either grey suede Bella Seven Boot Lane brogues, blue New Balance or black ponyskin skater shoes (which I don't have)  For the evening, with a black structured tee or black tunic style short top and either black Burberry glad sandals, black and blue Reiss sandals or black Zara courts.  I think that would work no?





Thanks to a suggestion on Twitter from a lovely friend of mine, I discovered this absolute beauty from French Connection.  Again, a whole host of ideas similar to above but in different shades.  I also have a pale pink old Zara blazer that would look great with a black tee underneath and black skater shoes (no, still don't have them) 

Belle Garden Pencil Skirt £69










Another in yellow - this time much more casual and would look fantastic with grey - I'd go so far as to even say a grey sweatshirt and sneakers. 




Dolita Skirt from Coast £55  I featured this before (probably the one other skirt I've ever had on my blog) and having seen it instore, it really is quite gorgeous.   









Forget-me-not stretch cotton pencil skirt from Great Plains £45  In The Navy (I'll hum it if you sing it)  These actually look a little bit shorter than most out there which is great if you are not as tall as some of these models - it should be the right length (for me that would be just below the knee) on you. 









Staying with print but moving away from floral, Baukjen have an amazing snake print skirt in two shades.  This is ideal if you're looking for a more casual jersey pencil skirt.  I think I may be looking for something slightly more structured but I do love the print of this (I may have my eye on the dress version of this in the blue print... just *may*)  Actually I've just read the info on this (it might help... what does assume make?!) and it's not in fact a fully jersey tube skirt like I "assumed".  It has a concealed zip and is fully lined which means it's a lot more sturdy than I had originally thought.  Oh hello blue version.  You can jog on, dress.



And here it is dressed down (and with two other look book ideas)  It DOES work with sneakers, see? (I am irrationally excited by this) 



And in the blue £95 (this would work ridiculously well with my blue and black snakeskin Reiss sandals)




A pink jacquard version now £28 was £35 again from M&S  - this would be so so fab to dress up or throw a sweatshirt over with a little shirt underneath.  I'm quite getting this (she says having no idea if she'll look a complete banana in them.... proof will be in the photos shortly) 














I know it seems daft to talk about leather when we're coming into the Spring but one in a lighter colour would definitely be an option (it's hardly like we bask in scalding temperatures for more than a fortnight the entire year) 




Now I'm not even a fan of pale blue but I've been completely captured by this little beauty from those lovelies at M&S who yet again have 20% off.  Yes, yet again.  Who are we to complain - they seem to be coming around awfully frequently - but 20% off a leather skirt is not to be sniffed at. 

Luxury Long leather pencil skirt from Autograph at M&S was £199 now £159.20  I am loving the idea of this teamed with a cream thin knit jumper, large gold statement necklace and leopard print heeled pumps and a tan clutch.   Or with navy and white.  Or black - pale blue and black is gorgeous.   I never ever thought I would imagine myself salivating over a cornflower blue leather pencil skirt but drooling I am.







And if you're into print then I've got one plain one for you (whoopee do.  Sorry.  As you can see, not exactly inspired by the plain) 





So....how does everyone else get on with skirts, especially if you don't go to an office for work.  I'm actually feeling rather inspired, will be back with some pics to see if they're a good idea or not and whether or not I'll be sporting them in the summer.   I am aware that this is just one small drop in the skirt ocean - I'm also rather taken with the flippy skirts that are out there.  But baby steps...


Finishing with my outfit today - up with the lark for hockey practice (clearly not me - the 9yr old moaning like a good 'un although she refuses to give it up - just random) and then a merry go round of party drop offs and pick ups with a whole host of washing in the middle.  Oh the glamour.  Although the dinner is on, all kids are bathed, The Husband is pouring the wine and we're about to put the smallest to bed and settle down to watch a movie with the older two so all in all a pretty perfect Sunday night. 

Untitled 

Black longsleeved longline tee - Baukjen
Charcoal jersey harems - Toast
Leopard print sweatshirt - Zara
Black Jetstream wedge trainers - Russell & Bromley
Dune monogram scarf - Louis Vuitton

Tomorrow I am off for a fantastic Mother's Day treat courtesy of a new fashion brand which I am so looking forward to.  They have some great skirts as well so hopefully will be back with a truckload of inspiration.  Hope everyone had a fab Sunday. xxxx

Share this:

CONVERSATION

25 comentarios:

  1. I've just bought two of this length skirt, one in white cord lace and one black and white stripe, intending to wear w collared shirt and white daps. But not sure that what I have in mind will translate into reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound so like me! I'm loving the sound of those outfits, they're going to work, for sure. Let me know how you get on! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so with you! I only have 3 skirts & rarely wear them although I love them on everyone else! I promised myself at New Years that I would try to buy more skirts & dresses & have failed! I think that as a busy Mum we just want to be comfy & skirts don't scream practical either do they?! I'm heading back to work soon & will definitely try harder especially once the weather warms up! Some lovely ones here Kat! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think if you're running around after tiny ones then no, they definitely don't work. But once your kids are at school or you go back to work, I think they definitely will make me feel a lot less Mummy and a lot more Me. Here's hoping anyway... xx

      Delete
  3. I'm crap with skirts too although I did embark on the maxi skirt territory last summer which I rather like. I've been toying with the idea recently and fished out a nice flippy number from the ebay pile. It's been in the same pile 3 times now and is still unworn in the wardrobe. I've parked the idea for another month or two until it warms up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On reflection I think maxi skirts are the most difficult type to wear. I am going to embrace my legs and go pencil. Go on - you tooooooooo. They'd look great on you! xx

      Delete
  4. Well I live in pencil skirts for work with tucked in "blouses". The skirts have to be tight and worn with a 4 inch minimum heel and the shirts have to be collarless. I have a zara black thick lycra midi, a black pleather and a navy blue lace one that I rotate. BUT for downtime daytime, I also steer clear because I feel too dressed up. Plus at only 5 3, I could not contemplate a tight below knee skirt without a hee highl. However, really liking the idea of the lampshade look - you know the tight skirt beneath with a baggy cropped stuctured top for summer with a gladiator wedge (probably tan to keep it less formal). So very interested in these. Love the Baujken snakeskin in blue too. I think the key here for 40+ is to ensure lined and stiff - so although the miss selfridge skirt looks gorg, the fact it's knitted, probably unlined and skimpy for teenage svelte forms just scares me - and I'm a size 6/8 but it's all about the material when it comes to this look to avoid looking muttonish. Ooh and cannot forget the spanx - mandatory! Can't wait to see you rocking a midi pencil - you will look amazing especially teamed with your beautiful R&B blue and white beauties (still heartbroken that I didn't get those!). xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going leather. SO SO going leather. Beyond tempted to order that M&S blue leather one. I. May. Cave......

      Delete
  5. I have two maxi skirts, one pencil skirt and one full skirt. Oh and one winter tweed one too I had forgotten about.

    I do love them but struggle with the footwear/flattering balance. In summer I can wear jeweled flats or thongs or wedges and they look fine .....but I am not the right shape to wear converse or trainers or booties in them and really look great - I just look dumpy. And whilst a pump looks awesome, it is not that practical for someone who works from a home office and spends the afternoon ferrying boys to sports.

    A dress is more flattering on me and somehow I can get away with ankle boots.

    I do love some of the full midi Grace Kelly Styles around at the moment though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you that a dress is way easier to wear. But I think that's because perhaps it's what we're used to (I know that's for me, for sure) A heeled pump though, yes definitely for an occasion. Full midi skirts I love - with heels. With flats, for me it all becomes a bit less Grace Kelly and a bit more Lindy Hop....

      Delete
  6. I definitely have a problem with skirts I really don't suit them although I am tempted by that stunning blue leather M&S one...gorgeous with a grey cashmere sweater or denim shirt! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT I have to order that M&S one. BALLS

      Delete
  7. I love this selection. I have crap legs. I am in a jeans rut. I must try harder. H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh shhh yourself. I had on THE most amazing leather skirt today - perfect for those with leg issues - only a small bit on show and the shape of skirt meant super flattering to avert eyes away. Coming up on blog soon. x

      Delete
  8. I rarely wear skirts since becoming a SAHW. Pencil skirts are not flattering on my body anymore, but I do feel comfortable in my flared ponte skirts and my ikat mini with an elasticized waist. I'm totally feeling the light blue leather pencil skirt though.

    http://valleyoftheshoes.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sound gorgeous. And yes, that blue leather skirt is purely divine.

      Delete
  9. I hardly ever skirts but I'm loving the idea of them with shirts and thin jumpers or sweaters. I've bought a midi one, just need to decide what to wear with it! Abbi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midi full or midi straight. I reckon actually you can get away with ideas above for both. xx

      Delete
  10. Want to love a skirt but a skirt doesn't love me. Only style is skater and that's it.
    Pencil makes me look dumpy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I think if you teamed it with the right top for right proportions and right footwear you SO wouldn't look dumpy. And actually I don't think if you tried really really hard you could look dumpy. You are a gazelle!

      Delete
  11. Other skirts definitely will be coming up soon. Just needed the inspiration to put my toe into the water! Midis.... Full or straight?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to wear skirts all the time when I was younger and now feel really dressed up in one so it's a huge effort - don't even get me started on the 'whole leg preparation' thing - and tights generally do my head in! I don't even need to wear them for work as our office is smart casual. The top two flower prints grab me and the red coast, with a good pair of heels or wedge sandals for summer maybe? Will have to make an effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've hit the nail on the head - it's all about effort and I'm LAZY! But it's so so lovely to be able to wear something different. If I just gave it a bit more dedication! x

      Delete
  13. Oooh I love the check asos one with the cobalt stripe! It's never really occurred to me that you don't often wear skirts. I chuffing love skirts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good but no I am serial skirt dodger.... Maybe because I wear dresses (albeit very very occasionally in the winter..!)

      Delete